• Latest reply 10 years ago by tinabanana
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

resistor.jpg
ISCSEMI-TIP102-pinout.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider charlestonscpins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 10 years ago

Tinabanana - the first thing you need to do is get a schematic of your game. Follow this link for a schematic.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=road+kings&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#1970

This will allow you to determine which transistor controls which solenoids. Look on the very first page and you will see that there is a table that shows the solenoid and which transistor controls it along with wire colors, connector identification, etc. etc.

Once you identify the transistor you can use your DMM to test it. Also, you can clip a wire to the tab of the transistor and then ground that wire. This should fire the transistor activating the corresponding coil.

Give this a try. Let us know how it goes. You can be sure you will get lots of help here. I have now repaired/restored four machines with the help of my fellow pinsiders! I am about to get started on my 5th machine in a couple of weeks. You will enjoy repairing your machine and get a great sense of accomplishment when it works and you did the repairs.

Al

#22 10 years ago

Tina, good advice from everyone. Just my $.02 worth get a good Hakko digital temperature controlled soldering iron like their FX-888D or FX-951. It will last forever in home use. Also, if you really get into repairing pinball machines you might want to get the Hakko 808 desolder tool that someone suggested. I have the Hakko 808 and one use (removing a forty pin display) made it worth its weight in gold. Got mine on Amazon but someone on Pinside was at one time offering them at a good discount. Don't know if that is still available.

A good way to practice and learn is to get some old junk PC boards and practice unsoldering components and then resolding them. You can probably get some from the electronic junk yard AKA electronic recycling center for free or check out a TV/Stereo repair shop.

It wont take long to develop the skill necessary to solder and desolder if you have good equipment. If you have cheap AKA poorly performing equipment it will make it a drag and you will not get good results and may even further damage something.

Let us know how things go with your Road Kings.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider charlestonscpins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bumper-blowing-fuses?tu=charlestonscpins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.