12 days ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 days ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190810_160451 (resized).jpg
    20190810_152607 (resized).jpg
    20190810_151646 (resized).jpg

#1 12 days ago

Hello Poetry Pals! I picked up a RaB that has damage to Bullwinkle's nose where a screw that holds the arm dings against the glass and knocks the printing off of the glass. It seems that this is a very common problem for these machines.

There is a dry transfer system that I've used many times called "Decal Pro" that I wanted to use to see if I can fix my backglass. You can look up Decal Pro for the gory details but basically you use a laser printer to print a graphic on special transfer paper that has a coat of sugar on its surface just like the decals in those plastic model kits that many of us made as kids. The laser toner (color in this case) is then run through a laminator with white transfer that only sticks to the toner. This is important because the color that is put out by printers needs white behind it to register the color correctly. The white covered toner is attached to a sheet of clear mylar by the laminator and all of this is put into a water bath that releases the toner/white transfer/mylar from the sugar impregnated paper. This graphic can be attached to a surface with an alcohol based adhesive. This might all seem like a lot of work but after you've done a couple of graphics it really isn't that bad.

I started off by using a flat bed scanner to scan Bullwinkle's nose so that I could get an approximation of the right shade of brown in photoshop and then I made several swatches of brown to hold up behind the scratches to get a close match. Once I got a match I printed out several swatches on a color laser printer on the special transefer paper and put the white onto the water bath to release the graphic. Typically you spray the graphic with the adhesive but in this case I wanted to get the graphic onto only the clear glass so instead I sprayed some adhesive into a cup and used a brush to place it on the bare glass. I then pressed the brown graphic onto the damaged backglass and it only stuck where the adhesive was.

The result can be seen in the photos. Is this perfect? No it only matches the color but I don't know how to match translucency so if you back light the graphic with a flasher you can see where the repair is but the good news is that if you remove the flasher behind the nose the GI lighting doesn't highlight the repairs.

The photos show the nose damage, graphics with white transfer and mylar on top with the brown toner on sugar impregnated paper below and last the repaired backglass.

20190810_151646 (resized).jpg20190810_152607 (resized).jpg20190810_160451 (resized).jpg
    #2 12 days ago

Very nice!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    MicksPinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 16.00
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 18.95
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 119.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside