Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by LITZ
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0851.jpg
    IMAG0850.jpg
    IMAG0849.jpg
    IMAG0848.jpg
    IMAG0846.jpg
    IMAG0845.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I just got this left flipper opto board.

Its a shit*y product.

Link:
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch;jsessionid=173126893FFD4C7F2DCB7A8D086E526F.jvm1?SEARCH_STRING=a-16482-glm

AND

http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/index.html?http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/wpc_ufb.html

AND

http://greatlakesmodular.com/

For one thing, adusting the magnet is a pain, but can bee done, BUT i have drilled many holes in my judge dredd kabinet, and nomatter what i doo, first time i press the left button, the magnet sticks on the left coil/plunger!!!???!"!#!!!! Dammit, its clearly written that it works on a Judge Dredd, now to my question, HOW does it doo that?

I see the pictures with other pins, but JD has a coil on far left side, has the company engieers ever tried there product on a JD?????

IMAG0845.jpgIMAG0845.jpg IMAG0846.jpgIMAG0846.jpg IMAG0848.jpgIMAG0848.jpg IMAG0849.jpgIMAG0849.jpg IMAG0850.jpgIMAG0850.jpg IMAG0851.jpgIMAG0851.jpg

#2 11 years ago

You need to take a good bit of time to get the magnets just right. Once you do that, a piece of tape over the magnets will hold them from shifting (or hot glue).

It takes a while to adjust.. do so with the PF resting on the rails.

#3 11 years ago

also align the magnets straight up and down (vertical) and as far left (towards the front of the cabinet) as possible. that give you a potential for less contact with other pieces..

#4 11 years ago

i had no issues with it on my DM. Was pretty straight forward.

#5 11 years ago

It is tight in JD in that area, on mine the extra button would always stick in that area. Once you get the magnets correctly adjusted I believe you are suppose to glue them in place. What I do like about those boards is how responsive they are when adjusted properly

#6 11 years ago

I tried Tony's flipper boards on my AFM. Everytime I launced the ball it would flip the right flipper. If memory serves Tony was aware of the problem. I ended up putting a regular opto board on that side and after constantly adjusting the magnets on the left side and then finally glueing them I gave up on it and just found some original boards.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

I tried Tony's flipper boards on my AFM. Everytime I launced the ball it would flip the right flipper. If memory serves Tony was aware of the problem. I ended up putting a regular opto board on that side and after constantly adjusting the magnets on the left side and then finally glueing them I gave up on it and just found some original boards.

It used to do the same thing on my Shadow so I ended up just putting an original back on too. My best guess was the ball launch was vibrating the board just enough to cause interference.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from LilRocky:

It used to do the same thing on my Shadow so I ended up just putting an original back on too. My best guess was the ball launch was vibrating the board just enough to cause interference.

It is actually the EMF from the launch coil that is doing it. The GLM board uses hall effects to fire the switch signal, that is why they use magnets. The EMF from the coil is actually false firing the sensor on the board.

#9 11 years ago

Tim at Pin Point Electronics actully has a great replacement product but he has not yet made one for the later WPC games.

His product for Type 1 flippers is here http://www.pinpointelec.com/flipper-opto.html

#10 11 years ago

First off, calm down. Second off, RTFM. It says right in the instructions that you need to tape the magnets, then they won't move and they shouldn't stick to anything else.

Also, have you tried e-mailing Tony before you ran your mouth? If you're not happy, I'm 100% sure he'll take care of you. You know how I know? I've been there. His products aren't perfect but at least they are an option. If it's the option for you, great. If not, that's fine too, but have a little respect for the people that design this stuff. They aren't getting rich and they are keeping these old antiquated things running. Shoot him an e-mail, try helping yourself before wasting other peoples time.

This is more of a bullshit post than a bullshit product.

Quoted from DEN:

For one thing, adusting the magnet is a pain, but can bee done, BUT i have drilled many holes in my Judge Dredd kabinet, and nomatter what i doo, first time i press the left button, the magnet sticks on the left coil/plunger!!!???!"!#!!!! Dammit, its clearly written that it works on a Judge Dredd, now to my question, HOW does it doo that?

#11 11 years ago

Same thing on my IJ, until I got that magnet just right. If you are having phantom flips with the boards, it is possible to adjust them out with the magnet.

Quoted from Marc:

I tried Tony's flipper boards on my AFM. Everytime I launced the ball it would flip the right flipper.

I don't hot glue, mainly because I might want to use them in another game some day. I've always used electrical tape and never had an issue with the magnets moving.

Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

Once you get the magnets correctly adjusted I believe you are suppose to glue them in place.

#12 11 years ago

Yea I have always taped them too for the same reasons

#13 11 years ago

On my first try with the GLM boards, my right flipper would fire with the ball launch. I just had to flip the magnet over, and it went away. For my BSD, it ended up being a great solution since Tony's boards also eliminate the need for the opto board brackets (those stupid brackets are really hard to find).

#14 11 years ago

Installed this on my JD a few weeks ago. No problem with it.

#15 11 years ago

Had these on my TZ for awhile back when it was impossible to find new flipper boards.
    They work but are a lot of trouble to futz with. Tried tape and the magnets moved. Tried glue and the magnets moved. As soon as I found the original boards again I went straight back to them.

#16 11 years ago

Wow, I used electrical tape to hold the magnets and they never moved over a couple years of playing it.

#17 11 years ago

I have also put on some electrical tape on, i have put the board as low as possible on the cab now, it mereley touches the left button, now it won´t stick on the plunger, and playes okey, UNTILL the louncher coil activates a couple of times, this makes the magnet go out of adustment again!!!...

I am reallly against it, but thinking about glueing it on...

Is this one also adusted by magnets?
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17316-GLM

It looks like its got 2 round magnets, but i am not sure.

#18 11 years ago

I've had a few of these boards over the years. I use that black electrical tape, all kinds, and never after using it have the magnets ever moved. I've never heard of anyone gluing these until this thread.

Quoted from Arcade:

Tried tape and the magnets moved. Tried glue and the magnets moved.

You're doing it wrong. Electrical tape for me has worked 100% of the time and I'm sure you have a roll somewhere. You aren't using scotch tape, masking tape, or blue painters tape, are you? Don't glue it. Usually the way the magnet lines up, there is only a little bit of the actuator to tape to on one side of the magnet, you have to just take your time and cut a piece that fits.

Quoted from DEN:

I have also put on some electrical tape on, i have put the board as low as possible on the cab now, it mereley touches the left button, now it won´t stick on the plunger, and playes okey, UNTILL the louncher coil activates a couple of times, this makes the magnet go out of adustment again!!!...

I am reallly against it, but thinking about glueing it on...

This is the older version of the board. The board has since been redesigned with changes, the easiest way to tell is if you have the two magnets or one. Nothing wrong with the old version, just FYI.

Quoted from DEN:

It looks like its got 2 round magnets, but i am not sure.

#19 11 years ago

Guess I had the old version. It had two magnets.
    They were a huge pain in the ass. Glad I went back to original optos.
    Even if the new single magnet version works better, I am going to stick with regular optos for my flippers.

#20 11 years ago

Cover the lower left corner, bottom and lower right corners of the magnets with a small amount silicone or fast setting bathtub caulking material. No more magnet movement on the flipper board after playing hundreds of games on TZ.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bullsht-product and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.