Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ReplayRyan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Bulletproof boards?”

• Enjoy as is while it works 13 votes
      100%
    • Send out before issues occur 0 votes

(13 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

689766AC-2623-4905-8ACE-DF439F4127D2 (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

If it ain’t broke should I fix it? TLDR should I send out working boards to the coin op cauldron or similar? Is there any value in bulletproofing original boards that are working fine?

I have numerous games I consider keepers (TAFG, TZ, very clean getaway, etc. They all currently work great. I did replace ribbon cables to fix a sound issue and a 5v reset issue on TZ.

These have original non hacked numbers matching boards with remote battery boxes or lithium batteries on the board. No burned connectors etc.

Should I enjoy them in a home environment as is or is it better to get everything sorted before issues crop up with old capacitors etc?

689766AC-2623-4905-8ACE-DF439F4127D2 (resized).jpeg689766AC-2623-4905-8ACE-DF439F4127D2 (resized).jpeg
    #2 4 years ago

If you’re handy with a soldering iron you can bulletproof them yourself with a couple parts.

#3 4 years ago

The only thing that seems worth doing on those is the caps and voltage regulators (driver and display). Not old enough for connectors to be an issue yet.

#4 4 years ago

Time and money would be better spent on getting some stainless armor and legs for Getaway and T-2.

#5 4 years ago

That would get expensive quickly, especially if Clive determines there are no faults and you still get charged the no faults fee. Just replace capacitors and keep an eye on your voltages to ensure nothing looks unusually low. If nothing else you want to check the 5v power supply in each game. You can also replace inefficient and power hungry LM232K linear regulators with switching regulators to be proactive.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

That would get expensive quickly, especially if Clive determines there are no faults and you still get charged the no faults fee.

Would he charge that fee if you tell him ahead of time that there's no faults, and you just want preventative maintenance?

I don't think I've heard of anyone sending out a board for repair for just preventative maintenance. I think most people just work on the board on their own, or only send it for repair when there's actually a problem they can't resolve on their own.

#7 4 years ago

Leave them until/unless you have an issue.

#8 4 years ago

If it ain’t broke ... don’t fix it.

rd

#9 4 years ago

Connectors will be an issue in a few years. Seen some fail now. Replace ribbons if original.

#10 4 years ago

And here comes the post in a few weeks...I can see it now:

"Hey guys, I pulled some traces replacing capacitors that didn't need to be replaced? Anyone that can tell me how to do a solder stitch thingy, or tell me who will accept my boards for repair? "

If you have to ask if you need to bulletproof working boards...you certainly don't have enough know-how to do it yourself, and wasting 2k+ to have them professionally "not repaired" is just silly beyond belief. It's a pinball machine. No matter what you do, it's going to break down at some point.

If you want to do something, then get the linear 5V regulators that dude above mentions from Kahr.us or whatever, and use those...but FFS....it's easy to pull traces when replacing those big snap caps. I've had plenty of experience with them over the 70 some odd pins I've owned, and I've pulled traces, even being really careful. If they're not a problem, leave them the hell alone.

#11 4 years ago

Preventative maintenance like switching to lithium or remote batteries and NVRAM is wise. Changing components like capacitors, transistors and regulators that are fully functional is not. You are much more likely to create new issues by doing the latter than improving anything. You can not "bullet proof" any part of a pinball machine unless you surround the whole machine in bullet proof glass. This is coming from someone who has 20+ years and 500+ pinball machines experience and does his own tech work.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bulletproofing-working-boards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.