Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by RetroDad65
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-1256 (resized).jpg
    IMG-1259 (resized).jpg
    IMG-1255 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Thermionic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago

The main issue with painting light bulbs is the need for non-aqueous paints (water-based paints won't adhere properly to the glass and will soon flake off).

I know Krylon makes a line of translucent spray paints intended for stained-glass, but I have not tried them; if the paint is able to resist the temperature of the bulb (shouldn't be too hot with #44s) it could be an easy solution.

I have experimented with using alcohol inks for this purpose with flasher bulbs. Bottom line is it's very easy to layer it on a light bulb and get good, saturated colors, but the coating is not particularly heat-resistant and deteriorates fairly quickly. I am still experimenting with various brands of ink (wife uses them in crafting) to solve the heat problem, but given that #44 bulbs run cooler it could work in your situation.

If you want frosted appearance, the silicone sleeves you mention are fine (and won't melt); the light quality is similar to the old frosted X-mas lights.

One thing to note which may save some frustration is the fact that it's almost impossible to get good blue or purple light out of an incandescent, regardless of the paint method used; the best you will be able to do is a somewhat washed-out bluish-white color (because incandescents inherently emit much less blue/purple light than longer wavelength red/orange/yellow).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Thermionic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bulb-paint-colored-bulbs?tu=Thermionic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.