(Topic ID: 229663)

Bulb flickers with any machine activity - lamp socket?

By Flamingo43

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shootagainbulb (resized).JPG
    #1 5 years ago

My "Same Player Shoots again" bulb is, for the most part, working fine - it is dark when the ball begins, and if the Extra Ball relay activates, the lamp glows correctly.

However, when the lamp is dark, the bulb will pulse with virtually anything on the machine getting energized. For example, if I hit a 500 point target, it will blink five times for each 100 point relay activation. It will pulse with each bonus step awarded and sometimes even when the flipper button is pressed, among other things.

I examined the lamp socket and there is a wire connection that is not consistent with the others sockets. (Most of the other sockets have the thin wire connection at the base of the bulb only.) I am wondering if this could be the reason? I am not really sure why the bottom wires would be connecting in that manner. Thank you for any help.

shootagainbulb (resized).JPGshootagainbulb (resized).JPG
    #2 5 years ago

What game is this? Please link above.

#3 5 years ago

... incorrect info.. deleted

#4 5 years ago

Get rid of the led, or get a better non ghosting one. It's not the socket.

The yellow wires are what connect the thin wire to the rest of the machine. This lamp just happens to be the connection point.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Appears to be a older Bally SS game. Crappy lamp sockets. If you can mess with the socket and get it working briefly, time to change it. I had to change all 51 of the insert lamp sockets in my Hotdoggin' and a friend's Skateball (86 insert lamp sockets). Only thing uncommon is if you don't have to change them all. If you have a small handful to change, then you are the lucky one.

A bad socket can't cause a lamp to come *on* when it's not supposed to.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

A bad socket can't cause a lamp to come *on* when it's not supposed to.

That is correct. I did not read the first post well to catch that and deleted my post.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Get rid of the led, or get a better non ghosting one. It's not the socket.
    The yellow wires are what connect the thin wire to the rest of the machine. This lamp just happens to be the connection point.

Thank you, that did the trick. I appreciate the help, I will read up on LEDs.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bulb-flickers-with-any-machine-activity-lamp-socket?hl=flamingo43 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.