(Topic ID: 21439)

Building pin - PF actual dimensions?

By PasiFin

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Draw.jpg
    Sheet.jpg
    Projector.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I´m planning to build -reconstruct- whole pinball from scratch. I am happy to have skills, tools and workshop to craft wood, metal and electronics. I own one pinball which I have examined.

There is lot of photos of those expensive classics such as MM or CC, but I would like to make sure which are actual dimensions for that blank MM plywood playfield? Is it 46 inches or 45.. 42??
    Or if plywood is not standard, what is distance from left flipper shaft to upper bumper center..?

If I make half inch error, experienced player will notice it immediately..

Thank you
    BR
    Mr. Pasi
    Finland

#2 11 years ago

Depends on the game. Widebody is different from standard. Stern different from bw

#3 11 years ago

Is your intention to seriously re-creating MM from scratch? Unless your going to source most of the parts (CPU, driverboard, roms, backglass, playfield parts, power supply) and just build the cabinet, playfield, and plastics, I don't foresee this project ever finishing. That would be like saying "I'm going to go build a delorean from scratch, I have a ford pinto to base it from"

Reminds me of this commercial

#4 11 years ago

Yes!
    This may become epic fail, but so far I´m gonna have fun trying! some people like crosswords, others are watching olympics, I like to sit and plan pinball. Ok, I watch a bit olympics too..

Lets break this a bit down,
    there is
    -cabinet+PF
    -mechanics
    -Electronics

-Cabinet is least problem, I do woodwork and painting no problem. Also I can draw, route and paint by hand whole playfield.
    -Mechanics, I´m gonna search used parts, some I will buy, and when needed I can make brackets and other metal by myself. That castle in MM - well it´s also buyable, but some parts are also craftable. Remember, MM uses same parts as "Pinto"..
    -Electronics. This is so far hardest part. MM uses Williams system WPC-95 which I hope to find somewhere affordable, changing EPROM to MM. Other solutions are P-ROC controller which can simulate many platforms. There is possibilities out there, but so far this unclear yet. Hope to get help from this (best-)pinball site.

Post edited by PasiFin : Some typos

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from PasiFin:

Also I can draw, route and paint by hand whole playfield

I don't doubt you, but wow. When you get done with the playfield, I GOTTA see pictures

#6 11 years ago

46"x20.25"

Good luck with your project

#7 11 years ago

I believe there are some parts in MM that are not able to be purchased and not just brackets. You might want you get the manual from ipdb and analyze this first.

#8 11 years ago

ashame you didn't pickup one of those un painted MM play fields on ebay a little while ago.

Good luck, keep us updated.

#9 11 years ago

May the force be with you!

#10 11 years ago

PinBallMikeD, thanks for dimensions. Toyotaboy, that video was hilarious!
    Here is couple of starting pics. Will not be final installation, but I wanted to test a bit..
    That transparent sheet was printed from MM manual(pdf), found from ipbd.

Let´s get drawing!

Projector.jpgProjector.jpg Sheet.jpgSheet.jpg Draw.jpgDraw.jpg

#11 11 years ago

Is that transparency made from an apron card? If so, I am sure that is not to the exact scale of the game. But, I could be wrong. Good luck!

#12 11 years ago

Yea, u might be much better off grabbing the visual pinball texture, someone scanned it. Perhaps not the best resolution, but has to be better than that

#13 11 years ago

Not apron, its printed out from pdf-manual which can be found ipbd.org. I suppose -or actually hope- that it´s in scale. At least it fits nicely on the plywood which I sawed to 46" x 20,25"
    I also checked visual pinball, but some reason I don´t trust it. I feel that may be fixed to editor limits, but I dont know.

I try to found real MM, so I will measure some playfield elements, for example distance from left flipper shaft to upper most bumper center. That way I can make sure about the scale.

Thanks for the responses

#14 11 years ago

What you want is a MM playfield scan done in a single pass - not stitched together from many scans.

A Cruse Scanner is the machine to do exactly that.

Those scans run $80-100 to do, but they will give you what you need.

6 years later
    #15 5 years ago

How is this progressing?

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

How is this progressing?

I think you know the answer!

4 months later
    #17 4 years ago
    Quoted from PasiFin:

I´m planning to build -reconstruct- whole pinball from scratch. I am happy to have skills, tools and workshop to craft wood, metal and electronics. I own one pinball which I have examined.
    There is lot of photos of those expensive classics such as MM or CC, but I would like to make sure which are actual dimensions for that blank MM plywood playfield? Is it 46 inches or 45.. 42??
    Or if plywood is not standard, what is distance from left flipper shaft to upper bumper center..?
    If I make half inch error, experienced player will notice it immediately..
    Thank you
    BR
    Mr. Pasi

Finland

How did this turn out ?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-pin-pf-actual-dimensions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.