Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 825 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by yaksplat
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20240409102255 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-25-20-11-01-31_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081020 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240409102332 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408085147 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408085056 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084329 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084821 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084043 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408082444 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081024 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081030 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240406130804 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240406125907 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240224124400 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240219121230 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider titanpenguin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#228 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Stupid spring in western NY. 72 hours from 80 degrees to this. I've never cooled sunburn with fresh snow before....
    [quoted image]

That’s one hell of an addition.

#229 1 year ago

Where’s the garage?

#232 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I may have to raise my camera up. The walls are blocking the action.
    [quoted image]
    This was one of the heaviest walls I've ever built, which is why there's no sheeting on it. We lifted it in two pieces if you look at the plate separations. I didn't feel like adding another 100+ pounds to each lift.
    [quoted image]

100lbs? Hit the gym old man

#233 1 year ago

All joking aside; progress looks great!

#237 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Rule one when having people help you lift walls. Don't kill them. Make sure they say, "Hey, that wasn't too bad." Then they have no problem coming back. My main wall lifting help is my wife, 16 year old son, and a couple of neighbors in their early 50's. I'm limiting walls to about 16'.
    I'm not looking forward to the 12' high wall with a 12' window and transom in it. I may end up using the forks on my loader with chain hoists for that one.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

So very true. Lift smarter, not harder is the way.

10 months later
    #529 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Ah, the fun of being a side job. I realize that these guys are doing my furnace after hours and on weekends and I'm saving a pile of cash, but it's slow going. At least some work has been done. Everything is waiting of the furnace. I can't tear down the kitchen walls until i have a furnace. Which means that I can't gut the kitchen, level the floor or paint the walls. So I'm trying to find things to do.
    I now have a passthrough between basements for the containers. I can also fit through
    [quoted image]
    We decided that a half wall would work around the spiral staircase to the basement. Nice and solid.
    [quoted image]
    Got everything all masked off to prime most of the great room today, but the needle in the spray gun snapped. No paint store in the area carry it, but could have it for me in two weeks. Amazon will have it here tomorrow.
    [quoted image]
    Some furnace and ductwork progress.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    Since we're removing the back wall of the kitchen, there are two ducts in it for the two existing bathrooms upstairs. Those will now be fed from the new furnace. The existing lines will go to the back of the new kitchen.
    [quoted image]
    14" return
    [quoted image]
    Neighbor didn't like my light. It is pointed straight down to meet code. Strangely his flood lights on the back of his house, point right at the side of my house. I'm waiting for a complaint.
    [quoted image]

I know it’s been said, but your neigbor sucks. Love the progress so far!

3 weeks later
    #566 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electronmagic:

I bet that Tigerwood cost you a Brazilian dollars.

How much is that in bitcoin?

#571 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I'm going to declare that a minor miracle occurred. The whole plan was to have the new joists line up at the same height as the existing joists. Those hopes were dashed when the foundation morons poured the foundation an inch high. That caused stupid things like this to happen:
    [quoted image]
    yes, a 6" x 6" spot from the existing house hanging 1" low in the garage.
    I ripped out my temporary sheeting and scraps preventing death.
    [quoted image]
    However....
    After ripping out all of the tile, mortar, hardibacker and mortar, the level looked like it could possibly match. Yes, the kitchen had 5/8 sheeting on it when it was built in 93, and then a layer of 11/32 sheeting that i put in back in 05, and that somehow lines up perfectly with the new joists?
    WTF?
    [quoted image]
    It's dead on, height wise. Again WTF? Perhaps I sacrificed a fisher cat to the construction gods on the vernal equinox?
    It all just worked its way in
    [quoted image]
    Tappity tap that last sheet in with the sledge hammer. Side note: never relax the swing of a sledge hammer, i may break your pinkie toe...
    [quoted image]
    And we're good until i move some plumbing so we can shift the sink and dishwasher into the new portion.
    [quoted image]
    Here's the many layers. Original + 11/32 + 23/32
    [quoted image]

Always said, it’s better to be lucky than good.

2 weeks later
    #581 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I feel like I should make something out of it. It's not every day you get a cylinder of foundation.

Make a lamp, or at least a door stop.

11 months later
    #797 34 days ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Those are all of the bricks from the front of the house. Around the garage door and the entire front porch. I'm planning on slicing all of the bricks in half and using them on the wall in the pinball area. There should be enough to do all three walls in pinball alley. I may try to hunt down some free bricks on Craigslist, just in case I need extras.

Nice choice for the brick. I’m a fan of the look myself. Did the same in the garage pinball loft.

1 week later
    #801 22 days ago
    Quoted from TZBen:

home improvement question:
    bathroom fans: I see these advertised as "quiet". Why would you want this? seems like white noise might be valuable.

I too like mine to sound like a jet engine when I am power bombing the John with Taco Bell leftovers.

#805 22 days ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

You don't like your efforts to be heard many rooms away?

I don’t mind, but my family does.

2 weeks later
    #817 5 days ago

We have bobcats and outdoor cats all over, and we get tons of birds.

#818 5 days ago

The cats go after the rats and voles. Bobcats like the tree rats and mini neighborhood dogs. Same with the coyotes.

#819 5 days ago

Still can’t believe the people that let those poor little dogs out in the backyard without being with them.

#823 4 days ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I take pictures of everything. Mainly because there might be some small detail that future me needs for some reason. Current me needs to know the location of pipes behind the wall, where a vent is, wire locations, or even when something happened. I can always check the date on a photo and know exactly when it was done. Like right now, there's a guy fixing the gutters that were installed 2 months ago and leak horribly. I have a couple pics of him working and his truck with the company name and phone number.

I do the same on all projects. Biggest issue is if I accidentally delete them when purging memes off my phone.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider titanpenguin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-out-a-game-room?tu=titanpenguin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.