(Topic ID: 290085)

Building out a Game Room

By yaksplat

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20240301211507 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240301130342 (resized).jpg
    IMG20231115193455 (resized).jpg
    IMG20231115172007 (resized).jpg
    IMG20231113130804 (resized).jpg
    IMG20231112160446 (resized).jpg
    IMG20231111170002 (resized).jpg
    IMG20230729132131 (resized).jpg
    IMG20230729131443 (resized).jpg
    IMG20230729131248 (resized).jpg
    IMG20230727185554 (resized).jpg
    IMG20230727180350 (resized).jpg
    IMG20230727170325 (resized).jpg
    IMG20231218201901 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240226194027 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240226195618 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spyderturbo007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Stairs are 4'6" and all doors are 3' wide. Currently, the widest door in my house is 32", so I could definitely use 36".
    There's going to be a lot of sound deadening in the theater

By the time you're done, you'll never want to see a 5g bucket of Green Glue a 5/8" piece of Type X drywall ever again!

Quoted from yaksplat:

That actually ends up being a half bath under the stairs. Server room actually needs two racks in a cooled room, with enough room to maneuver the racks.

I thought I was bad with a 51U 4-post. What are you putting in there?

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Whole house audio, few 4u media servers, a bunch of homelab stuff.

Whoa. I want to see those. My media server is 4U with 32 drive bays. I only have 15 of the occupied, but I have 45TB of data. I'd love to know what you're storing over there!

#25 3 years ago

Do you have anything with dimensions on it? I'm looking at the theater and can't figure out how big it is.

#28 3 years ago

How big is the server room? I can't get dimensions off the plans.

#30 3 years ago

You could always put the server room behind the theater in that space you have labeled as "I don't know". That corner is going to screw with everything in the theater anyway. You might also want to bring the wall in a little and put that support pole in a wall. That way you don't see it in the theater.

At least that's what I did when I built mine. You can see them in the wall in this picture. You can also kick the wall back from the poles about 4 - 6" and bury them in a column depending on where they fall in the room.

5a783df045b7e12599ceb6568ae9024b65a811c7 (resized).jpg5a783df045b7e12599ceb6568ae9024b65a811c7 (resized).jpg

2 months later
    #48 2 years ago

Was I the only one eyeballing the lumber from the deck?

5 months later
    #124 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Finally framing. Every bit of the foundation is a disaster. Out of level, out of square, extra inches here, bowed walls, humped walls... Every bit was installed by morons.

That's a shame. Do you have any recourse for the shoddy work?

#127 2 years ago

Must be a thing with concrete guys or something. My dad and I were framing out my basement, stood up a wall pinned it in place and couldn't figure out how we got it so far off level when we built the window frame. Grabbed a level and it turns out the wall was square and plumb, but some idiot set the window in the concrete crooked.

Can't fix that one.....

4 weeks later
    #151 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I finally made it out to see the doc. Nothing torn, but I sprained my MCL. Got a fun cortisone shot and I'm once again mobile. I got out there and strung some lights up and ran a gas line for the heater to keep it warm over the winter.
    For some reason it feels small in there to me now. I think I'm just used to it...[quoted image]

Wait until you get walls up, look around and say "What happened to all my space?!?". That's what I did when I finished my basement.

1 week later
    #162 2 years ago

+1

I'm at 61 TB not including parity. I actually ordered 3 SSDs a few minutes ago that I plan to use for pool drives. One for my Docker Containers, one for VM VHDs and one because I need a larger cache drive.

I'm in love with the docker containers you can run. I'm running a self hosted Bitwarden instance, Pihole as a DNS sinkhole, SAB, Nextcloud, Emby, Crashplan, Radar and Sonarr.

I added a NVIDIA GPU a few months ago for transcoding 4K on the fly so there is virtually no load on the CPU during the transcodes.

I don't know what I'd do without that server!

#167 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What do you use Nextcloud for?

File storage. It's like hosting your own Dropbox or Onedrive. I just don't like other companies having my stuff. So I store my stuff in Nextcloud and then back it up with Crashplan. That way I'm controlling all my data and when it gets backed up, it's encrypted before it even moves.

Quoted from yaksplat:

I'm running sonarr, SAB, Radarr and Emby. I should really set up docker. I've been meaning to learn to use it as well. I've always wanted to put in a GPU. What one did you end up using that worked well?
    I've been running Emby since it was MediaBrowser and running through xbox 360's. Before that I was using Media Center. That was nice, but the compatibilities of the video formats were a nightmare.

My server is a rackmount and doesn't support the larger sized gaming GPUs, so my options were limited. I bought a Quadro P620 for $120 and can support 3 concurrent sessions. I haven't tried running a VM and transcoding at the same time so I don't know if that will work or not. Then again, I'm not a PC gamer, so I probably don't even need to deal with GPU passthrough on a VM.

This matrix will help point you in the right direction based on what you'll be streaming (4:2:0, 4:4:4, 8k, etc) and how many concurrent sessions you need.

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

2 months later
    #189 2 years ago

How do you get into the Theater? Is that the screen wall in the theater in Blue?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spyderturbo007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-out-a-game-room?tu=spyderturbo007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.