(Topic ID: 290085)

Building out a Game Room

By yaksplat

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20240301211507 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240301130342 (resized).jpg
    IMG20231115193455 (resized).jpg
    IMG20231115172007 (resized).jpg
    IMG20231113130804 (resized).jpg
    IMG20231112160446 (resized).jpg
    IMG20231111170002 (resized).jpg
    IMG20230729132131 (resized).jpg
    IMG20230729131443 (resized).jpg
    IMG20230729131248 (resized).jpg
    IMG20230727185554 (resized).jpg
    IMG20230727180350 (resized).jpg
    IMG20230727170325 (resized).jpg
    IMG20231218201901 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240226194027 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240226195618 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#327 1 year ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

I don't know why your neighbor has a stick up his a$$ when you are following all the local building codes and getting the required permits.

Probably envy. All neighborhoods seem to have someone like this in them.

5 months later
    #474 1 year ago
    Quoted from Brisket:

I'm not an electrician, but my understanding was 6" from the entry point in the box? 3" from the face of boxes?

Don't be like the bonehead that owned my house before me - all the boxes (which were metal 'handy' boxes, i.e. not permitted to be installed inside walls) the wires were terminated about an inch into the box, with pigtails attached to each one. Handy boxes are about an outlet's depth deep and are useless IMO.

What a PITA to work on though, and whomever did the work to replace the house wiring was lazy and there's junction boxes outside the wiring panel for all the circuits, and all of them were overstuffed. I found non-box enclosed splices in the attic as well. Needless to say I've corrected all this. I'm not an electrician either, but I can read. The picture you found is even clearer for this rule.

Somehow at my Mom's house the electrician replaced the main panel (old 40 amp fuses) with the new updated panel, which is mounted in front of a cellar window, not even on a piece of plywood. I have no idea how that passed inspection. The electrician was a hack anyway, all his box replacements require an oversized plate as he just hacked into the walls without marking or taking his time. It IS a 300 year old house, so I understand there's a lot of constraints on remodels due to materials, but still....

Don't even get me started on whatever plumber she had.

#475 1 year ago

Just because it occurs to me here Bryan.... what's your opinion on electrical tape on top of the wire nuts? I was always told not to do that, but a lot of people say to do it so the wire nut doesn't work itself off. I don't like it because the tape turns to goo over time and pukes all over the wires.

I never understood why people go cheap on stuff either, I mean, you can certainly buy outlets for 19 cents apiece, but they are such crap. When I moved from Allentown a buddy laughed his ass off at me because I took the outlets from the gameroom with me (I safed all the circuits, pulling the wires back out and disconnecting them from the circuit panel). I was like, hey, these were six bucks each!!!

#478 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Interesting. Is that a change made recently?
    All inspectors I ever dealt with in MN, wanted it from the face of the box. I got so used to doing it that way, I'd find it a pain in the ass and time consuming to install a device if there was only 3" of wire.

I like having more wire to deal with just for convenience. I don't mind deep boxes though so plenty of room to fold up the wires.

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

The ONLY time I saw tape on a wire nut was if a homeowner had done it. You'd never see a licensed electrician do that. There's no need to. Install the wire nut tight enough and it's not coming off.

Yep, that's what I said... my brother was pretty adamant about it but he's a machinist not an electrician so I don't favor his opinion on that matter. Lots of other people said the wire tape was ok that I polled at the time but I thought it was 100% amateurish. Then again, I also asked a couple of them what the purpose of the wire nut itself was and they all thought it was to twist the wires together, and they were dumbfounded when I said you're supposed to twist the wires together with the pliers before you put the wire nut on. I think my dad agreed with me on that one at least, but he was still in the wire tape camp.

Now that I'm thinking back on this, I think my brother had an electrical fire in his house about 10 years ago. Hmmm......

4 months later
    #601 10 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

We're all hoping that my neighbor resigns his miserable existence here and just moves away.

I bet he'll go nutso when you have people over to play in the new gameroom and they all park on the street.

We have a nosy neighbor like that as well, since that side of the property isn't one I don't see, I let the bushes grow crazy wild there as I know it drives her nuts seeing it. She constantly calls to report people parking on the street there even though it's public street parking.

2 weeks later
    #638 9 months ago

So what did he want you to do with the stumps? They can't just 'disappear'.

6 months later
    #765 3 months ago
    Quoted from joelbob:

Well done!!! So how do you get it off the rhino cart?

Very carefully.

I do have to thank my dad who was a machinist and was always moving stuff around either his shop or (later) moving stuff into/out of his basement. He would build a skid under the machine and move it on wooden rollers and as a kid my job was to grab the rollers and move them to the front.

To go up/down stairs, that's what the skid was for. Made out of 6x6's IIRC. Block and tackle and ropes/chains as needed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-out-a-game-room?tu=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.