Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 825 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by yaksplat
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20240409102255 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-25-20-11-01-31_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081020 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240409102332 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408085147 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408085056 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084329 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084821 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084043 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408082444 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081024 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081030 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240406130804 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240406125907 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240224124400 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240219121230 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider readypo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#66 2 years ago

Just found this thread, looks great! Looking forward to following along on the progress. One question, is part of this addition under the garage? looks like the old one went down in the beginning. Very ambitious project!

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

But according to the same covenant, you also can't have fences, sheds, pools that necessitate fences, commercial vehicles....

I hope its the guy with the pool that is quoting the convenant - irony...

1 month later
    #100 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Finally poured the foundation yesterday. Framing starts with a load of lumber on Friday and beams should be getting ordered tomorrow.

Excited to see the progress!

#103 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Neighbor is pissed. Says he's suing the town for approving an addition that's going to affect him. Nothing ever goes smoothly.

Quoted from yaksplat:

Apparently some neighborhood covenant from '93 that says you can't have more than a two car garage. Although there are about a dozen houses with them. But according to the same covenant, you also can't have fences, sheds, pools that necessitate fences, commercial vehicles....

Assuming the neighbor gave up on his threat, just being unneighborbly now (I am guessing he wasn't the greatest neighbor long before you ever started this project). Looking forward to more pics - should be pouring the floor soon I suspect?

#113 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

But they still think they should have input when you adjust their view.

For years I did traffic engineering for development work and every new subdivision or business that came in on new ground, the folks that had just bought a new house on what was farm ground maybe 3-5 years before came to the Planning Commission and City Council meetings complaining about the extra traffic and loss of their view and their children can't continue to play in the streets, etc. The Not in My Back Yard "NIMBY" syndrome, even if they had just done the exact same thing. Totally oblivious to the irony.

1 week later
    #129 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I took a day off on pour day.

Good that you did. Unfortunately it is still true that if you want something right, do it yourself (or at least supervise!)

1 week later
    #136 2 years ago

Very glad you are ok. That last push when you are tired and rushed is never good, especially if you are working by yourself. Hopefully you will have some help raising those walls.

#148 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I'll heal and do a ton of planning and additional drawings to make everything go faster. I'd rather pause now than risk any further injuries.

That is a great and safe plan. Framing will go quick in the Spring. I am assuming you did not order trusses or framing material yet so won't need to store those...

Quoted from yaksplat:

I found out there's a nationwide PVC shortage going on currently.

Yeah, the same winter storm that sent gas prices skyrocketing in February shut down Texas Ethylene plants and they are still not back to full production. I bid a project where we went had half in PVC over copper to save some $$$. Bids came in nearly double the estimate. It is an emergency repair, so we had no choice but to press on. As if COVID distribution issues weren't enough...

3 weeks later
    #171 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Floor pouring round one is complete. It looks fantastic. The rest will be done tomorrow morning.

Looks good! Cutting in expansion joints at narrow opening/halfway? Or using a sealer maybe. I always use a sealer now, really helps the concrete cure evenly and is good for the freeze/thaw this will experience over the next 30 days and longer...

2 months later
    #191 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Since I have nothing else to do but push water that leaks into the basement over to the sumps, I've also been working on the layout of the basement.

It looks like the circular stairs are walled in now - they were open in the original plan. Just wondering if there was a code issue or some other reason. I have circular stairs going to the basement, they look pretty cool open I think...

Looking forward to watching the construction going forward.

20220215_071634_HDR (resized).jpg20220215_071634_HDR (resized).jpg
    #198 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

How is the sound transmission up your staircase?

Yes, you can hear both the downstairs TV and pins when they are going as the stairs go right up to the Great Room. However, it is not that bad (exception: large group/party) and you can still have a conversation/watch TV upstairs - if the stairs are going up to a hallway or somewhere else I think it would not be too distracting at all. I think a decent tradeoff for the open stair look.

2 weeks later
    #201 2 years ago

Nice. I use Home Designer Pro at home, consistently dreaming up expansion plans for the basement (threads like this don't help that compulsion - Ha!), I haven't been behind the wheel of AutoCad in years. Sketchup's 3d Warehouse has some pinballs that I have used in 3ds file format that I think you can import into Revit.

basement16feb10 (resized).jpgbasement16feb10 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #210 2 years ago

Looking forward to seeing construction pictures. Wood is a roller coaster here. 7/16 4X8 zipboard - was $55 last week, $64 this week, and it might be down next week. And has been nowhere near the pre-Covid pricing under $20. I balked at $35 a sheet last year, regret that.

#212 2 years ago

That is good to know - I have a bunch of zip and 2x6 to buy soon - I will pounce on any decent price drop.

1 week later
    #216 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Hey, I built a wall.

Great to see progress! 2X6 construction - required or preference? Also looks like a pretty big beam pocket on the left?

#218 2 years ago
    Quoted from pincoin:

2x6 are required in most places on outside walls for larger insulation.

I don't think it is required by IBC, though I agree it is the extra insulation that has lead many municipalities and states to adopt it. Using 2X6s, you can generally frame 24" on center instead 16" (which also increases the insulation). This looked like 16" on center (hard to tell) so that is why I am curious what the requirement is. I am framing a garage (unheated) 2X6, 16" on center primarily for bearing strength for the 2nd floor which is clear span trusses 24 feet resting on the outside walls.

#225 1 year ago

Nice update! Looking good!

2 weeks later
    #249 1 year ago

Getting closer to roofing! Are you stick framing rafters or using trusses or maybe a combination? I rented a crane for three timber frame trusses at the back of the house - best $500 spent (this was 20 years ago) on the job.

2 weeks later
    #254 1 year ago

Looking Great!

#256 1 year ago

Looks good. They do make a long leg joist hanger that might have worked in this situation, but column support is always the best.

hanger (resized).jpghanger (resized).jpg
    #266 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I'm completely self taught in a skid steer and it's definitely not the optimal piece of equipment for a grading job

Looks good, I would love a skid steer and would use it the same way. Instead, I have a little Kubota BX24 tractor a front end loader. I had a back blade but got rid of it and just back blade the bucket and that works just fine. I also have a backhoe on it with a little 9 inch bucket that is not very fast at all, but is fun to use, just takes a little more time.

Quoted from DadofTwins:

About 12 years ago I had a garage built.

Here is the Kubota sitting next to my own garage addition. It will be two stories as well with a Gothic Arch for the second story. The pad was poured last fall and trusses were ordered and arrived but I have stalled waiting on material pricing and time. Prices have dropped some again so I think I will try to get this built July-August. @yaksplat's progress is motivating me to get it done!

20201119_165717_HDR (resized).jpg20201119_165717_HDR (resized).jpg
    #269 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

but if you can wait until August, you'll save at least 30%.

I'm glad I bought my trusses when I did, but still need a couple of gluelams 2X6s, and a whole bunch of sheaving. Matching the existing garage door style is also going to be very expensive...

Quoted from yaksplat:

I try to work outside at least 4 hours every workday and about 8 on weekends.

That actually is pretty darn good. I hope you get some more help lifting rafters and roofing sheathing up - would be well worth it (and rooftop delivery of your shingles - I doubt I will ever haul roofing bundles up a ladder again if I can avoid it).

4 weeks later
    #274 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Wow. No updates in 27 days. That's way too long with so much going on.

Quoted from cp1610:

Was thinking on saturday when i got on pinside no update from you. But figured either you busy building which is true by post above or weather stopping you.

Yeah, I thought about pining this thread, but I didn't want to push - projects like this get done when they can. That said - great progress! Looking forward to continued updates as they come.

#277 1 year ago

Nice job - didn't think we would get to see any rafters for a little bit after all the other work. The wood we get nowadays is suspect - I had a 2X10 pressure treated curl up on the end just laying flat over 2 days. Frustrating to say the least.

Will this be the only hip? Curious what the rest of the roof-lines will look like.

#287 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

We have the potential of 50 pounds per square foot. When you run the calcs, there are two options. Get an engineered lumber package or space 2x10's at 12".

Can support a bigger dead load on your rafters if you want to store stuff on it, and less sag on Drywall ceiling are bonuses for the 12" spacing as well.

#289 1 year ago

I don't keep much in my garage attic but I have a catwalk down the middle and I wired in cheap porcelain light fixtures with a switch at the top of the pull down steps so I don't need a flashlight. Works great. I did it when I removed a Federal Pacific sub panel and put in a new GE panel, wiring and circuits.

3 weeks later
    #307 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Rafters are underway. I thought i was getting a shoulder workout before. These are pretty brutal. There's a lot of faith that goes into the math.

Wow, great progress!

#320 1 year ago
    Quoted from radium:

Man I’m just thinking about when I DIY remodeled my house, I do not envy the amount of finish work you have on the interior. That took me longer than the construction.

The one thing I will not do is hang/mud more than a few boards on small projects. On a job this size, it is best to contract drywall out if you can. They are the one trade that will do it not only faster but better.

#326 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I'm a petty ass.

Speaking of ass, maybe you should take up topiary - this would look good facing your neighbor's lot

bad-neighbor-1977931362 (resized).jpgbad-neighbor-1977931362 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #335 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Last post before i head on a well deserved vacation.

Have a great vacation, and thanks for posting your progress for us before you go! Your progress has been amazing and clearly you won't have any issue being dried in before winter.

3 weeks later
    #347 1 year ago

This is an epic build and really two years and then the rest of your life to enjoy is a very good trade-off. By comparison, whatever project you take on next will seem like a cakewalk.

Working this Labor Day weekend? You could probably get the roof fully framed and sheathed I would guess...

#353 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I can't count the number of geo thermal systems I've seen, then they use 2x4 walls with no foam skim coat - just sorta defeats the purpose of geo-thermal.

Quoted from yaksplat:

I love the idea of geothermal. There's a zero % chance of carbon monoxide poisoning, but the price in my area was insane. Even with all of the state and federal credits.

We did a similar project as yaksplat 20 years ago (not the same scale though!) where we took a lake cottage, added a second story and a great room addition. At that time we also put in a geothermal system. All new walls were 2X6 with wet spray cellulose insulation, all windows low E and most of the window surface area is on the south side, with Deciduous trees blocking the summer sun and then dropping their leaves for winter solar gain. We were on propane, so the payback was way quicker than natural gas (3.5 years). We also got a reduced electrical rate from our CO-OP of .05 cents a kilowatt hr. and the excess heat is run through the hot water heater too which helped with the payback

Geothermal heat has been great - in the summer, it is very cheap to run to cool the house, as the differential in ground temperature and air temperature is greater. My only regret is not drilling one extra well. At the time, the cost-benefit said it would be 20 years before we would make up the difference between electrical resistance backup for those very few sub 10 degree days. Well, electrical rates have gone up and we at now at 20 years, and thinking about another addition. Not sure how hard it would be to retrofit one or more wells. The biggest benefit of Geothermal, combined with a tight building envelope, has been an overall even heat and cooling, a relatively quiet system that has been very reliable. There is no outdoor condenser, and when the inside unit wears out and needs to be replaced, we will still have plenty of life left on the wells, 50 years or more.

#356 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

So it sounds like you are open loop? Or are you closed loop and just went vertically instead of horizontal? Are you lake front, where you could go out in the water?

Closed loop, vertical wells 150' deep. They drill an 8" hole using water well drilling equipment and loop the piping in and out of each hole, which is backfilled with a bentonite clay for good geo-conductivity. Horizontal loops would not have worked for us as we are mostly wooded and the one area of lawn that might have worked is too small and has our septic system on it.

The lake we are on is public and we are on a cove that loses it's water in the winter when they draw down the lake level so that would not work for either open loop or closed loop.

#358 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Yeah...hard water deposits would be my concern. Maybe there's a work-around tho, given the maturity of geo-thermal.

Open loops have a separate heat exchanger where the open loop water transfers to a closed loop in the system. Still, really corrosive water can cause this exchanger to scale up/corrode and this is hard to fix as there is generally no good way to treat the water economically at the volumes needed. I got a grant from the department of energy to use water in an abandoned mine as an open loop system (pump in one area of the mine, dump in another) for the Illinois National Guard. This corrosive water was one of our concerns. Managed to hit the Mine 2/3 test wells (Illinois Coal Mine approximately 160' below the surface). It had been abandoned for over 50 years, and there was only about 18" of water in it - not enough to run the system. That was a surprise. There was also methane but we did not have mineral rights or a way to capture/use that. We capped our wells and used the rest of the grant to put in a conventional field that covered half the building.

And now hopefully back to some progress reports from yaksplat , sorry for the derailing. I am a geothermal fan though, have put in in four large commercial buildings and I always try to consider it if the budget can support it.

#361 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I basically told him to shove it. Interview with Draft Kings tomorrow morning.

Good luck with the interview! I think it is a great job market for CS still. Lot's of our CS/IT folks work from home - started with COVID but now it is a perk since we are government and our pay doesn't match what they can get in the private sector.

#364 1 year ago

Awesome!

2 weeks later
    #375 1 year ago

Got to be a great feeling! Roofing will seem like a breeze!

#384 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

33 trips up and down the ladder.

No rooftop delivery on those shingles? Can you rent a shingle lift in your area? Of course after hauling up all those 4X8 sheets these probably don't seem as bad...

#386 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

The spot I was working in was blocked by other pallets.

I did the same thing building a very long retaining wall - dropped the pallets by the workspace so they would be close - and they blocked getting the tractor in to move the 82 pound blocks easier. Did two pallets by hand to make room to get the tractor in and from then on out could slide 7 into the bucket at a time, set them on the wall, and slide them into place. Much faster and lesson learned.

1 week later
    #393 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Garage was finally poured this weekend.

Looks good - surprised they used a buggy, seems like enough room to back the truck up and use the trough on the truck with an extender. No power troweling either?

#398 1 year ago

So how is the roof coming along? Anymore progress there? Are the metal shingles easier or harder to work with?

1 week later
    #407 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

the left side was wandering up a couple of inches,

Would not have noticed if you didn't point this out. It will never be seen from the ground. This photo really shows how ugly your neighbor's pool looks though. Will be nice not to have to see that. I think you said you were re-roofing the existing house with the same metal shingles, I assume after you are done with the new?

2 weeks later
    #409 1 year ago

Any updates?

#412 1 year ago

Great update! Front facade ties together nicely - I really like it when larger garages are broken up visually into smaller sections. Is the stone wascot you are going to do on the main house going to continue around the garage? Also, what color of siding are you thinking about?

#422 1 year ago

Great solution, right choice!

#427 1 year ago

Well @yaksplat,
    I have to tell you this is one of my favorite threads on Pinside. Every time I see a post pop up and I get excited about seeing the progress (and I feel inadequate all at the same time ). We haven't even got to the Arcade part yet!

Your solution at the corner was great and I wonder if my OCD would let me do what you did, but it was totally the right choice. Keep the progress reports coming!

#430 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

The pricing of everything has gotten stupid. The place where I buy everything for plumbing and electrical has had 5 price increases this year. Normally they have one or maybe two. I wanted to put rockwool in everywhere. It's superior to fiberglass in every way. But guess what? The price of it soared in the last year and you can't reliably get it. So, I'll be getting fiberglass. I'm hoping they can all get done for drywall in December.

For the first time in a while, we recently received construction bids that were lower than estimates for 2023 work. Still high of course, but with the interest rates hikes, a reduction in future planned projects, and supply chain issues easing some, I am hoping we see stabilization and maybe even some reductions, at least on materials sourced in the US and Canada. Zip Sheathing is at $29 for 4X8 at the big box here which is the lowest it has been in some time.

I wonder on insulation if you had considered blown in Cellulose. I have it in my house, super tight with no voids. It was cheaper than fiberglass at the time (20 years ago with a new provider in my area that wanted the business). You can rent the machine for the loose blown in (attic), and get a bid for wall cavities (it is wetted to stick, you wait a day or two to reach the right moisture content before buttoning it up).

2 weeks later
    #433 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Other fun updates:
    Front corner is finalized. I don't think it looks too bad.

It doesn't look bad at all. In fact, I am wondering if you should turn it into a design feature, like putting the house number on it vertically or lighting, etc. Maybe a different stone treatment too.

numbers (resized).jpgnumbers (resized).jpg
    #438 1 year ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

Love it:

J
    U
    S
    T

Quoted from SNES:

Could always do

T
    W
    O

In Great Britain and some other European Countries, houses get names. Though we don't have a plaque outside (yet) we named our house Koselig Hjem, Cozy Home in Norwegian (Cozy is not really a one for one translation, the word actually means much more, like sitting by a fire on a cold winter's night, grandparents visiting from far away, baking cookies with your children, etc.)

Could do a house name (Pin related of course!), or the street address, illuminated from behind or from a fixture above for a more vertical orientation. Could also do a sign that is mostly blank except for the "2" at the bottom.

OK, enough on signs for me. Now that the roof is done, and it looks like the windows are done (?), guessing block framing inside, finishing plumbing/electrical rough-ins and insulation?

signs (resized).jpgsigns (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #445 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Framing inspection Passed!

I had no doubt - your work has been terrific. Corrections to the out of square foundation pour, stick framing the rafters of a complex roofing plan and more - I would say passing the framing inspection was a given too

1 week later
    #455 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

My main is only 150.

Quoted from yaksplat:

To upgrade service I'd need new wires to the house. They're currently 2/0, and for 200A i would need 4/0.

Looks like you have underground service (I don't see any overhead wires in any of your pics). Do you have a transformer at the street? Sometimes utilities give rebates or free upgrades, especially since you seem to be less than 100 feet from their line I would think. Any such luck with you? When you start filling up that game room and have all your circuits on at the same time, I am sure you would appreciate the extra amps.

I went from 100 to 200 service and it required an extra transformer by the house because of the distance. They wanted me to pay the whole cost of an extra transformer, but it serves my neighbor as well, so I argued he should pay half if and when he upgrades. That cut my cost in half, it pays to push back a little. I have a 100 sub to the garage off it, geothermal and remote lines to the boat lift/shoreline and an outbuilding. Haven't had any issues with the 200 amp service so far.

2 weeks later
    #458 1 year ago

yaksplat I hope you and your family are ok and have survived this blizzard in relatively good terms with no loss personal or otherwise. Thoughts are with you and it looks like you are getting some warm weather this week which is welcomed I am sure.

#460 1 year ago

Glad to hear you and yours came out OK!

#462 1 year ago

Nice job - finished with all rough-ins now, or low voltage still to go?

#470 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Have you had inspection yet?

Quoted from yaksplat:

And it was all inspected yesterday and passed. I had to move a couple staples, but that was it.

#485 1 year ago

Time to call that Drywall sub!

#495 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Just for the heck of it (I was curious), I did look up the R-19 batts (Mansfield), looks like 6.5", the R-15 is 3.5", So the R-19 sounds about right (right or wrong). Skim coat of foam was maybe a third of an inch. But I understand your comment about compressing and losing R value.

I used wet spray cellulose - 6" R value is 21

In the great room I have 10" SIP (structural insulated panel) over 2" Doug Fir planks (sitting on timber frame beams). The rest of the house I have either lose blown in celloluse (very small area at least 24" deep) or dense packed celloluse (vaulted ceiling, standard framing). Overall the house is very well insulated.

#497 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I figured better insulation was passive (i.e. paid for once and done) as opposed to a more expensive geothermal.</blockquote

At that time we also put in a geothermal system. All new walls were 2X6 with wet spray cellulose insulation, all windows low E and most of the window surface area is on the south side, with Deciduous trees blocking the summer sun and then dropping their leaves for winter solar gain.

My geothermal has been terrific performance wise, but I am sure it is the combination of good insulation, passive design and we are located in a very good area for geo with 58-60 degree ground temperatures. Still, like any heat pump, when the air temp gets down to 5 degrees or less, electric resistance backup kicks on to keep up with the load. However, the electric bill was only $250 last month (I heard of other all-electric systems in our area at $700 or more, and of course gas/propane were pretty high too).

#509 1 year ago

Rule of thumb - hire out any drywall job with more than 10 4X8 sheets. In my area I have a hard time getting anyone interested for less than that (or I would hire that out too).

Good luck on the job interviews @yaksplat!

1 week later
    #510 1 year ago

Update today? Drywall up, new job, etc...

1 week later
    #511 1 year ago

I hope this means a big update is coming soon

1 week later
    #518 1 year ago

Great Update!

1 week later
    #525 1 year ago

Better they dropped it than you. Lucky they had another one and it wasn't on backorder!

1 month later
    #542 1 year ago

Looking great! Looking forward to the progress as now you are at the "good" part of interior finishes

#553 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I put that floor in back in 2005. It's in properly, meaning the backer board is held down by screws and thin set and then a layer of thin set under the tile. I've been dreading ripping it up.

Yeah, we our addition/remodel was done around the same time and we have been going through a refresh the last two years and my work is significantly harder to remove than what was there before!

One thing we decided to do was replace three different floor types with a very nice LVT. We kept our kitchen cabinets (granite counters tops put in about 10 years ago) so to remove the tile floor I bought a harbor freight toe kick saw and modified it with a tile blade to cut around them. Worked great. Then the rip up and I used a floor underlayment across it, the great room which had carpet, and the hallway, hall bath which had 3/4 maple. Had to lower the toilet flange and patch in the door jams there, but otherwise one flat surface and no awkward joints. LVT holds up better with dog nails than the maple floor and we got the waterproof kind which has made kitchen spills easy to clean up. Would highly recommend getting a quality LVT.

20230328_053701.jpg20230328_053701.jpg
    #563 1 year ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

I’d love to have nice hardwood but I don’t trust my family and pets enough to take care of it, haha.

Yeah me too - but the 3/4" maple we had in the hallway had tons of dings/scratches from the Dog nails. None went through the finish but it looked worse than playfield dimpling. It has been about two years with the new floor and so far not a single scratch. It was the best with the biggest clearcoat layer and the waterproof backing. The hardest work was putting the underlayment down, and should I need to replace this floor in the future for whatever reason, it will be super easy. LVT are great for basements, especially with the waterproof backing. No isolation membrance, minor cracking won't hurt it, and it is a little warmer underfoot.

Quoted from yaksplat:

I'm actually going with a 3/4" Tigerwood. It's about 50% harder on the Janka hardness scale than oak.

Those look beautiful - expensive but beautiful. Looking forward to seeing it installed. Maybe LVT for the Game Room...

#573 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

That caused stupid things like this to happen:

That would have driven me crazy, and I would have furred down the garage ceiling, which is why I would be nowhere near where you are with this project OCD is a bitch.

1 week later
    #579 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

You should test that cylinder to see how much psi you got.

Quoted from yaksplat:

I would be surprised if it's over 3000 though.

I would be curious too but I will say the aggregate looks well dispersed in the core sample so it would come down to how much cement is in the mix. Since the knuckleheads that poured your foundation didn't actually mix the concrete, it came from the batch plant, I would guess you are probably around 3,000 since that is the called for minimum strength in many building codes for residential foundations.

If you change your mind later you could drop the cylinder off at a local university with a civil engineering program and they would probably do a compression test for free. It is not a true "test cylinder" size but that really does not matter.

4 weeks later
    #589 11 months ago

Congrats on the job! Incredible stressful to be in the middle of a project like this and have to go through that. Hopefully you found a position you will be happy at. Also, still great progress on the house!

2 weeks later
    #616 11 months ago

Wow, huge job. I have seven to remove and I am dreading it. Two storm damaged, one dead, one dropped too close to the garage, two to close to the house and one for thinning. Even with my tractor, ton of work.

However, I am sure pool guy doesn't like you messing up his view of the woods, so there's that.

#640 10 months ago

It appears you are on the biggest lot in the cul-de-sac, maybe the whole neighborhood, and now one of the biggest if not the biggest house - and also out working hard on it all the time - Maybe these guys are tired of hearing about how they don't work hard enough at home

#659 10 months ago
    Quoted from Mravic:

Just that it's not hard to imagine being a neighbor witnessing this for 2 years, going out on your back patio, taking a sip of coffee, and saying "Fucks sake, now he's tearing down half the woods?!?"

I take the view that he is improving the neighborhood (and conversely, their property values). But people can be pretty self-centered. I use to do traffic engineering consulting and would see people get up at the planning commission meeting and complain about the traffic from a new subdivision being built right next door to them in a corn field - conveniently forgetting their property was a cornfield just a year before their subdivision was built and they added traffic to the folks that were there before them. NIMBYs (not in my backyard).

#661 10 months ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I bet you saw this more times than you can recall

Practical every development - don't want it, argue too much traffic, too much noise. Always the same arguments... Amazingly, never heard even one time, "I will buy the property at fair market value and put a park there."

1 month later
    #690 9 months ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

I’m getting sad. This was such a fun build to watch. Thanks for taking us along for the ride!

We still have the full game room buildout!

#699 9 months ago

Looks great, and the light on your clipped corner looks like it belongs there, and the corner and light were part of the original design. Just need the house numbers below

2 weeks later
    #711 8 months ago

I got mine from Goddard Spiral Stairs in western Kansas, my second set from them (first set went into a house in Overland Park Kansas so I could make my galley kitchen bigger).
    https://www.spiral-staircases.com/
    A different approach, it is completely welded in one piece. Superstrong, but has to be shipped in one piece so there is some cost for that. The first one I bought (1995) I met them in a parking lot off the highway and we transferred to my trailer. Second one (2002) they freight shipped. of course, a walkout basement is a necessity, or a second set of straight stairs like yaksplat

1 week later
    #716 8 months ago

This looks good, we are redoing the master bathroom and have picked a similar tile for the floor. Getting the laundry room done will go over well with the wife too I suspect - I just redid our Mudroom/Laundry (took too long) but she is very happy, as it get used daily. It sucked during the two weeks when the washer/dryer were out of commission.

#719 8 months ago
    Quoted from ViperTim:

Here in Sweden the insurance doesn’t cover if the washing machine is in a room without a floor drain.

Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Without a drain I’d at least look at adding a washer drain pan.

Yes, no universal code for a laundry room drain, though that is a good idea. Yes, almost all laundry rooms above finished space install a washer drain pan, and "burst proof" hoses of stainless steel braid or like material are also pretty common, though that won't stop a leak inside the machine itself.

#721 8 months ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

The burst proof hoses can cause issues. Just ran into that. Seems like the internal spring for the inline valve weakened over time. Started triggering and shutting off water under normal use. At first thought it was the washer again. But replacing the hose set fixed it.

Well that is interesting. My last washing machine (Whirlpool) lasted 20 years with the same burst proof hoses, no issues (besides replacing a motherboard once). It was still operating when we got a new one, which cramped out in four months, still under warranty. I diagnosed the problem as a relay but the entire board was conformal coated, so they had to replace the entire thing. Wouldn't give me the part, so two trips for the repair man (one to diagnose, one to bring the part I told them it was). I put new hoses on at the same time, now I wonder ... Time to plumb a floor drain I guess, sigh... Manufacturing is worse than it has ever been.

2 months later
    #732 5 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

He's fine. Just busy other than the house and Pinside.

I hope that is the case. He had started a new job so maybe that is taking precedent.

#741 5 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Then a couple more shots nearing completion.

Looking good, pretty stone. Glad everything is going good, and I hope the new job is as well.

1 month later
    #756 4 months ago

That looks great!

1 month later
    #773 3 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

~$50k Give or take $5k

9/12 is quite steep

I think that is a pretty good ballpark seeing how there are so many variables in the construction trade. Earlier in this thread I (post 266) I showed the foundation for a 24X34 garage addition that required eight foot walls at the back due to the drop off, and going to normal frost depth footing in the front.

That was during COVID but just before runaway pricing, in a very rural (aka cheaper than the city) area - $15K just for the foundation. I am guessing that would be $20K or more here now.

We made quite a bit of progress since that photo (exterior is essentially done) but I will save that for my own thread if I start one But, I do want to THANK YOU yaksplat for the inspiration to keep going on it by seeing your amazing efforts on your project. Very much appreciate you bringing us all along on this very ambitious project - as always, looking forward to seeing the continued progress whenever you can update us!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider readypo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-out-a-game-room?tu=readypo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.