(Topic ID: 290085)

Building out a Game Room

By yaksplat

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20240301211507 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240301130342 (resized).jpg
    IMG20231115193455 (resized).jpg
    IMG20231115172007 (resized).jpg
    IMG20231113130804 (resized).jpg
    IMG20231112160446 (resized).jpg
    IMG20231111170002 (resized).jpg
    IMG20230729132131 (resized).jpg
    IMG20230729131443 (resized).jpg
    IMG20230729131248 (resized).jpg
    IMG20230727185554 (resized).jpg
    IMG20230727180350 (resized).jpg
    IMG20230727170325 (resized).jpg
    IMG20231218201901 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240226194027 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240226195618 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bakerhillpins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#450 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

On to all of the wiring. I've run a bunch of circuits before, swapped out panels and swapped out plenty of lights and outlet. But never have i wired a house. I didn't know what to expect. I certainly didn't expect to be doing this much work.
    Lots of hole drilling. Holes everywhere. Of course through the largest column in the house.

Go through the floor or the ceiling not the beam and save yourself a lot of PITA. Not sure if this even came to mind but you'd be surprised at how forest for the trees you can get when you start pulling wire surrounded by open walls.

Pay attention to the floor joist directions to because you can take advantage of bay direction to save yourself a lot of drilling/pulling.

3 months later
    #534 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Here's one of those, not too exciting, but will likely pay off in the long run things.
    Rim joist insulation.
    I probably should have done this a long time ago, but energy savings was not high on my list of priorities. Due to the amazing foundation work, I had plenty of air leaks, even with the sill seal in place. I mean full on daylight. Either under the sill plate or between the rim joist and sill plate.
    I decided to put 2" of extruded foam (R10) against the rim joist, held in place by spray foam and then a layer of rock wool (R23) and then also a 1" layer of extruded foam (R5) outside the sill plate on the top of the foundation. This is more for air sealing.
    Step 1: buy 4x8 sheets and cut all of the pieces. Foam on the table saw is a blast.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    A layer of spray foam works like adhesive against the foundation. A 4" piece outside the sill plate and a 2" thick piece against the rim joist. 2 small pieces to fit in the web of the i-joists.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    Topped off with R23 rock wool. It's a nice and rigid solution.
    [quoted image]
    The torpedo heater in the basement has already been turning on at a much lower frequency. Mission accomplished.

WOW, that's a TON of bitch work there. I have a smaller place then you and I called the spray foam guys and just had them shoot the rim joists. I had some other spaces for them to do at the same time so it wasn't just that but still low sq ft. That was years ago though, probably couldn't get anyone to show up for that sized job anymore.

2 weeks later
    #572 12 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

It's dead on, height wise. Again WTF?

Quoted from titanpenguin:

Always said, it’s better to be lucky than good.

No shit.. take it when it's given to you!

2 months later
    #653 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mravic:

Just that it's not hard to imagine being a neighbor witnessing this for 2 years, going out on your back patio, taking a sip of coffee, and saying "Fucks sake, now he's tearing down half the woods?!?"

I can relate to this, that would be a perfectly valid response. In fact I could totally see myself making that statement, maybe even to yaksplat directly in a semi jovial/questioning manner if I were a neighbor. But how does that in any way validate the kind of reaction his neighbor had?

Maybe I'm miss reading your point here?

#658 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mravic:

Nothing validates that guy in the video lol. I was just following up on some of the comments previously stating that neighbors starting to get impatient is understandable. It seemed like Yaksplat felt the need to defend himself, but I found that unnecessary because nobody was accusing him of doing anything wrong. We're going in circles now, didn't mean to derail.

Gotcha!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bakerhillpins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-out-a-game-room?tu=bakerhillpins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.