Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 825 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by yaksplat
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20240409102255 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-25-20-11-01-31_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081020 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240409102332 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408085147 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408085056 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084329 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084821 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084043 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408082444 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081024 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081030 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240406130804 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240406125907 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240224124400 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240219121230 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JohnTTwo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#513 1 year ago

This thread is awesome. Nothing better then a DIY’er doing a better job then most contractors could do. Love the attention to detail.

I built my own home and finished right before C-19. For reference my last lumber purchased was 22 bucks for 3/4” CDX plywood yes 4’x8’.

I only have one question and it is for my learning from you, not saying it’s wrong. I saw the unveiling of the Huber Zip System at a national convention. They gave one roll of their stretch tape, man it useful in waterproofing. I noticed you used it as roof sheathing. Was it used because it was extra or do they have spec and system for roof sheathing? I just can’t grasp it.

I do have some advice as well. My wife was awesome during our build and huge help. She put tons of time in but every time there was a delay or time crunch she would calmly tell me “keep it fun” “time doesn’t matter it’s our schedule “ “just push back our move in date” those words were life savers for me since I put all the pressure on myself. You seem like you maybe like minded as a doer!

Keep it fun it’s your time line, the pins will come soon enough!!

Enjoy and kudos!!!

1 week later
    #526 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Cleanup is not fun with the sprayer. No, actually it's not horrible, you just need an extra 20-30 minutes to cycle enough water through.
    Today was the day i was finally going to get the furnace in. Everything was delivered on Friday. The guys were here, hauling everything up to the shop attic. I wandered away, and I heard, "Oh shit, lookout!"
    CRASH!
    Yeah, they dropped the furnace. About a 200-pound box. It fell about 10' and got all messed up so there's a new one coming on Monday. Installation is now going to be starting on Tuesday. Ugh...

By the old one. Every perfect replacement part.

1 month later
    #549 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

We've now begun gutting the kitchen. All of the cabinets and countertops are getting removed. That means that I have no idea where anything is. We now have cabinets and everything from them in the new pantry, mudroom and laundry room. Making lunch is a nightmare.
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    Time to start the process of blending the existing kitchen with the new addition. Since the foundation morons poured the foundation an inch high, I have to modify the plans. Originally the existing 2x10s were supposed to match up with the new TJIs. But that plan is out the window. Now I'm trying to just make it all work. The 3/4 sheeting on top of the TJIs is very close to the level of the tile in the kitchen. That tile has a lay er of thin set underneath it and then 1/4" Hardi backer board and another layer of thin set. All of that together is pretty close to 3/4". That means that I can remove the tile and backer board and lay 3/4 ply over the top, leaving a surface that's even with the addition.
    One issue, the existing kitchen floor is extremely wavy. There's up to a 1/2" variation in that 250 sqft. I bought a new fridge a few months ago and had a hell of a time levelling it out, since it's a french door type. The doors won't line up because the back of the fridge drops so much. Once I rip out the tile, I'll be adding some self levelling concrete underneath the 3/4" ply.
    Here's what I'm working with.
    [quoted image]
    I put that floor in back in 2005. It's in properly, meaning the backer board is held down by screws and thin set and then a layer of thin set under the tile. I've been dreading ripping it up. Damn me for doing things right.
    Fortunately the Hardi backer is soft, so it can be removed from the thin set pretty easily with the rotary hammer and a 4" chisel attachment and the screws are left behind.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    All the screws have mortar in them (square drive), but that comes out pretty easily using a paddle bit on each screw head. Then they can be easily unscrewed and then it's just a matter of the mortar.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    I've been using a combination of a trowel and a putty knife to scrape off the remaining thin set. It's working quite well, and I have nothing, but bare plywood left. Ready for the next step.

Oscillating tool with scraper is your friend.

Looking great!!!

#556 1 year ago

Calling punkin just making sure you are seeing a first class basement build.

2 months later
    #621 11 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Still in the not super exciting realm.
    We painted.
    [quoted image]
    I caught this little guy in my shop multiple times. There's a nest right outside the shop and an easy way in.
    [quoted image]
    I got rid of all the excess fill in the backyard. I was estimating that it would be about 60 yards or so, about 6-7 truckloads. Well, it turns out that once you start moving clay around, it unpacks quite a bit. I was hauling about 1.5 to 1.75 yards of clay per load, and 8 loads per truckload. I was off by about a factor of 3. I filled that truck 17 times. But finally, it was all gone.
    [quoted image]
    Now, I want to finish using this loader and sell it off. The last main task with it is to grade the yard. I lost about 100 pines back in 2006 due to a freak October storm that dropped 2 feet of insanely heavy snow. It snapped all of the branches off of the trees. It took me about 3 years to fully recover from that. I had to cut down everything remaining in that area, haul it out to the street, pay to have someone remove the stumps then grade the area and finally put in drainage to handle all of the excess water. The thought of doing that again was not something i was looking forward to ever again.
    Why am I bringing this up?
    These stupid pine trees are weak and they don't do that well, despite being native around here. I still have about 150 more, but there's a group in the back that has begun dying off.
    [quoted image]
    This was a few years ago and you can see the browning on one side. I figure it's only going to get worse in the next few years.
    [quoted image]
    I could wait, and repeat my 2006 performance, or preemptively take them out now, while i have the loader. So, the second that the last load of clay was gone, I got out the chainsaw and started taking down trees. 25, to be exact. The smallest was about 6" in diameter and the largest was about 18". This entire weekend was cutting, and hauling everything out to the curb. All while trying to not kill my cherry and apple trees. We had a couple trees fall the wrong way, despite being tied off. There were just too many branches on one side of the tree, in the opposite direction of where we wanted it to fall.
    Like this one. Huge notch and crazy rope tension.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    I was prepared for that to go the wrong way, but was hoping that it wouldn't.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    Now it's on to removing the stumps with the loader and grading while the weather is nice. I'm trying to have a yard by our 4th of July party.

What attachment on the skiddy do you use? I just use the 4’ forks and dig with them. You?

#663 10 months ago

I’d be over helping you often. We only have one miserable SOB in our entire hood.

I was helping a neighbor cut down some big trees. The SOB comes over crying about the trees going down and “not one of them better hit my lawn!!”

I told my good neighbor I was helping what Id do, he said go ahead. I girdeled about 15 cottonwood trees leaning over his yard. I bet he’s picking up dead branches for 20 years.

5 months later
    #749 5 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Siding...
    I got really sick of siding, really quick. It's not hard to do at all. If I were in a 1200 sqft ranch, it would be nothing more than a single weekend job. But i have peaks. 6 peaks that range from 20' to 27' high. From the ladder, you can only reach about 4 feet of the siding in one location. So once the siding is about 8' off the ground, each piece of siding requires moving and climbing a ladder 4 times. One to get one side up, one to get the other side up and in position, nail that side, nail the other side and nail the middle. If there are obstructions in the piece like a vent, window, or light, that more climbing measuring and cutting. There were days where I'd have 15000 steps tracked on my phone and I was never more than 10' from the house.
    I'm generally not a fan of being that high up either. I'm not small. So just my weight alone exceeds the rating on most ladders.
    The first piece is the hardest. Get that level and then the next 7 feet flies up.
    [quoted image]
    There were always ladders going every which way. The windows here were always in the way.
    [quoted image]
    Just one of the absolute pain in the neck spots. A 4 pitch and 6 pitch converging. Lots of room to swing a hammer in there under the 12" overhang too.
    [quoted image]
    I decided to put an exhaust fan in the shop. It'd be harder to do in the future, so I might as well do it now.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    It blended in rather nicely.
    [quoted image]
    This wall felt like it never ended.
    [quoted image]
    Then on to the shake siding. This stuff is pricey. About 3x the cost of regular vinyl. Each panel has a 14" x 50" exposure, or about 5 sqft per piece. You really need to plan the layout or you can scrap a whole piece easily. At $18 per panel, I didn't want to waste anything. Also, once a box of the shake siding was opened, it couldn't be returned. When ordering it, she mentioned that it had a 4 week lead time. So, I should order extra and return the unopened boxes. It would really suck to be short a piece or two. and then have to wait a month for more. Especially with winter incoming.
    Here's an example of a bad layout. It looks fine. However, I could have trimmed the pieces that I started with and lost less in the door openings. I lost several half panels at the top of the door openings.
    [quoted image]
    The absolute worst piece to get in. The joint of the two garage peaks.
    [quoted image]
    After about 2 months of work, it was done.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    I ended up needing a few pieces of shake siding to finish the main peak over the entry, so I was glad she told me to buy extra. We decided to put the shake around the main door. It added a nice touch. That last row up top is the scraps from the garage door opening. Never throw anything away until you finish.
    [quoted image]
    Siding started on 8/26. It was finished on Saturday, 11/4. Every single day that it wasn't raining or too windy, I was out there working until it was too dark. Fortunately it has stayed pretty warm. It was getting cooler on Saturday, but it was still nice out. But siding does not cut well when it starts getting cold. It begins to crack. I didn't want to deal with that at all.
    65 pounds of 2" roofing nails used.
    Total cost of the exterior: $13,000 for the stone, siding, soffits and fascia.
    I recently heard a quote for replacing siding on a 1300 square foot house. It was $24k and there was nothing special about it. No stone or shake. I'm guessing I saved at least 50-60k doing this on my own.

Hey you could say you saved the cost of 5 A title pinball machines! Filling it up with labor saving

5 months later
    #816 12 days ago

Quoted from RyanStl:

My neighbor put up a sign on top of his bench swing that's near our property line with a sign that says "Cats Not Allowed". It's clearly pointed at my patio. Then he put up a sign that says "Bird Sanctuary" where only I could see it when I get my trash cans out to the curb and back.
    Turns out the dude is passive aggressive and upset our indoor/outdoor cats are natural predators and can prey on birds. From day one we moved int he told me has strived to make his backyard a park like setting. Don't get me wrong, it's looks great, but he doesn't think he gets as many birds as he used to.
    Most recently he put up a two foot or so chicken wire barrier along my fence, I assume to keep the cats from crossing over to his side. However, he failed to realize cats can jump really well and his other three corners of his backyard are completely open (only I have the fence, he doesn't have one). Earlier this week he ripped the chicken wire fence out. I assume he realized how dumb it was.
    He's still never mentioned anythign to me, but my wife talked with his wife. He's oldder and not great health so I think he's getting way too hyper focused.

You are kinda lucky they guy simply doesn't set out a live trap for cats (hidden on his property), catch them and deliver them like 50 miles away to a humane society.

I live in the country and guarantee you no domestic cat has more than a days chance of catching a bird on our property

The bobcats we have around here they get a free pass, and are supper cool to see.

#822 11 days ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Lets not derail this thread.. I love following the progress and dont want to engage in a discussion about the insane amount of birds that cats kill.

Great point if a mod or OP of this thread could you please delete my post above?

Thanks

John

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JohnTTwo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-out-a-game-room?tu=JohnTTwo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.