Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 825 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by yaksplat
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20240409102255 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-25-20-11-01-31_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081020 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240409102332 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408085147 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408085056 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084329 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084821 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084043 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408082444 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081024 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081030 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240406130804 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240406125907 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240224124400 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240219121230 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GRB1959.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#251 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

The wall I've been worrying about has finally gone up. This one is 12' high and 22' long with an LVL beam and a 2x10 spreader between the window and transom. The two of those weigh about 300 pounds and are high up on the wall, which would have made this a brutal lift. For a rough opening over 12', even by a few inches, code says that you must have 6 full studs on either side of the header. I decided to lift this one with the loader. It's finally dry enough to not make a complete mess. I hooked the straps from the forks to the header and just lifted slowly, watching both of the kickers at the bottom of the wall. As long as those didn't move, everything would go up smoothly. It worked out fantastically.

Wow, this is one hell of a project. I am very impressed so far.

When we purchased our new house 14 years ago with a walkout basement we had the basement finished to be a pinball centric gameroom with a pool table and other games as well. Kudos to you for doing a great job and keep the photos coming.

Gord

2 weeks later
    #261 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Nah, he's a whiney piece of crap that spams the town building department with complaints that have no merit. The head building inspector had to bring it up during a town board meeting as this turd keeps calling the supervisor's office and complaining as he can't get anywhere with the building department. I believe he's up to 18 complaints now and not one was deemed valid from the inspectors.
    But that leads me to today's update. We have a full wall of asshole shields installed. While my wife and I were putting up the ply, the two complaining neighbors had to convene several times in their front yard, pointing and looking angry. Good thing they really don't exist anymore.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
    I actually never thought about supporting garage walls before. Working on crew and only having two car garages, the build usually had the ceiling on the same day. But since this is just me, I have to make sure a gust doesn't take this wall away. I just need to get the other walls up around it and get the beams ordered.

It sounds like your busy body neighbors may be jealous of the awesome game room addition that you are adding to your house. Good Lord don't these people have anything else to do with their time?

I upvoted your comment due to the humor in the asshole shields comment and the looking angry comment. Keep us updated on the antics of your Gladys Kravitz (Bewitched reference for those too young to remember) neighbors.

Gord

1 month later
    #291 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Almost done with the ceiling joists. They just keep going and going...

Nice drone video showing the scope of your project. This is quite a project.

Keep posting your progress updates as this is a fun thread to follow. Have you had any more drama from your nosy neighbor with the pool?

Gord

2 weeks later
    #325 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

That's them!
    They get weeds, infrastructure and a trailer as their view.
    This has been my view for the last 17 years.
    [quoted image]
    That lumber is mine and it's strategically placed 7" from the fence. He freaked out one day that I had some lumber that was 3" from the fence and he threw it everywhere. Well, he was in the right as his fence is 6" inside the property line and my lumber was on his property. But then i realized that i shouldn't trim any weeds that are within 6" of the fence either.
    I'm a petty ass.

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite Pinside threads. In addition to the amazing job that you are doing on your game room addition it is the drama with your quirky neighbor that draws me back to this thread.

I don't know why your neighbor has a stick up his a$$ when you are following all the local building codes and getting the required permits. I am guessing that he doesn't have enough positive experiences occurring in his own life to keep him occupied.

Keep the progress photos coming.

Gord

1 month later
    #342 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

He never did take out that full page ad in the local paper like he claimed he would.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Well, that would take actual effort and money on his part and he sounds like he is cheap and lazy so it is easier for him to whine about it. Your progress on your new game room addition looks very impressive to say the least.

Gord

#344 1 year ago

Duplicate post, mods please remove.

1 month later
    #399 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Garage was finally poured this weekend. No more slogging through stone on a daily basis.

I really like the time lapse video. How exactly did you do that?

Gord

#404 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Today I received a letter in the mail from the town. I was confused at first because I just dove in and started reading, not realizing that it was not written to me and I was just copied on it.
    Basically a big FU to my neighbor about all of his complaints.
    [quoted image]

Nice, it sounds like the Code Enforcement Officer is wise to your neighbor's constant carping about your project. Did your neighbor ever receive a fine from the city for draining his above ground pool onto a portion of your property?

Gord

3 weeks later
    #418 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Oh, and here's a better view of the shingle in the tree, only because it's so stupid.[quoted image]

I have one of these extension poles with a hook attachment that has proven to be very valuable to retrieve airplane gliders and other toys thrown by grandchildren onto our roof. It extends to 24 feet and it is a lot safer than getting up on a ladder.

Something like this would be handy for getting those shingles out of your tree.

https://tinyurl.com/2xlegmm7

Gord

#424 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Time for some stupid drama.
    Neighbors didn't have time to find out about the stop order, so they can't complain about anything. I should be 35'1" from the front line now. So much fun.

Anytime you can eliminate your nosy neighbor from having anything to do with your remodeling process you have done the right thing. Well done indeed.

Gord

3 weeks later
    #432 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Hey, it snowed. And i mean snowed...
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    I think we got about 60 inches of snow or so.
    I had fun driving the loader around the neighborhood, clearing out driveways for beer.
    [quoted image]
    The big plows stop working at this point and they have to send in the front end loaders
    [quoted image]
    Now this is the absolute worst case scenario for a house. This is the loading that we prepared for. I'll tell ya, the first foot or so was heavy, I mean 20-25 pounds heavy. The design load is 50# per square foot, and I would think we were somewhere in the forties, and I could see the strain happening on the supports. Now, I have not finished all of the supports and I probably should have by now, but some of them are done, and in those planes, I saw no deflection. However, in the back plane that's a 4 pitch, I saw deflection in the midspan support.
    It's hard to see in this picture, but in-between the vertical pieces, you can see the 2x4 bowing. I took this today, after the melt was already occurring, but after all the snow fell, the deflection was 1/2" in each 4' section. It scared the crap out of me.
    [quoted image]
    I have to wait for the snow to melt so i can get the supports in there in a non-deflected state. Otherwise, my supports won't be located correctly.
    Other fun updates:
    Front corner is finalized. I don't think it looks too bad.
    [quoted image]
    Some supports are in. I can tell you how much fun this was to get a 20' douglas fir 2x10 installed 8' up. This is a perlin that would have prevented deflection on the back section. Coming soon to the back plane.
    [quoted image]
    The roof is 100%
    [quoted image]
    That's old roofing on the kitchen section. It kind of looks like crap, but you can't see it unless you're in a drone. The exterior is 100% complete for the winter.
    Plumbing is 70% complete and the electrical is 20%
    After watching my cousin do the plumbing, i don't know how i could have done it on my own. All of the things that he's taken into consideration that I would never have thought of blows my mind.
    [quoted image]

Now I know why the Bills football game last Sunday was moved indoors to Ford Field in Detroit. That is one heck of a snow storm.

Gord

1 week later
    #444 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Framing inspection Passed!
    After framing for over a year, with a 5 month break for a knee injury and weather, I'm finally complete in the eyes of the town. I won't lie. I've been stressing about this all year. Even though I've built houses, I've never heard the result of an inspection, but I assume they all passed. But the main thing is that I had someone telling me what to do, and here I didn't have that. I had to make all of the decisions, changing how things were built on the fly to make the better and safer along the way, and not knowing what the inspector was going to look at.
    Plumbing rough in also passed, but that was a given as my cousin has been plumbing for almost 40 years.
    Time to finish up the electrical and get this place heated and insulated.
    Garage doors will be installed next Tuesday and Wednesday.

Congratulations, passing those inspections is a big deal.

Gord

3 weeks later
    #464 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Here's some actual progress while everything else was going on. I had talked to the electrical inspector to find out what he was actually going to be looking for in an inspection. He wanted to see all of the receptacles and switches with the wires stripped and ready for the devices. So that was a ton of work.
    58 receptacles
    62 lights/fans/smoke detectors
    38 switches
    2000 feet of 14/2 wire
    1300 feet of 12/2 wire
    500 feet of 14/3 wire
    1300 staples
    [quoted image]
    Everything had to look like this:
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
    I now understand why electricians are known as huge slobs on job sites. I had scraps everywhere and the kids got to clean everything up.
    [quoted image]
    When doing this, there's no such thing as too much labelling. The more the better.
    [quoted image]
    16 new circuits
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    And it was all inspected yesterday and passed. I had to move a couple staples, but that was it.

Holy crap, this is one hell of a large project. It looks like another 50-60 hour a week job on top of your regular job.

You have done a great job on this insanely huge addition to your home and it looks really nice.

Gord

2 months later
    #545 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I had a stop motion video of the wall removal and fortunately I watched it first. Pants were hanging way too low, and way too much buttcrack. No one wants to see that.

Upvoted for the butt crack comment. That was some funny $hit. With a long and difficult project like this it is good to occasionally inject some humor and you have not disappointed.

Gord

2 months later
    #617 10 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Now it's on to removing the stumps with the loader and grading while the weather is nice. I'm trying to have a yard by our 4th of July party.

This is a crazy amount of work and you have been making great progress. Make sure to invite your whiny pool guy neighbor to your July 4th shindig.

LOL, just kidding on the invite to your neighbor.

Gord

#635 10 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Fun weekend ripping out stumps, putting them out to the curb and finding another neighbor that's a psycho. I've lived here 18 years. Not a kind word ever from this guy. I've wandered over there a few times, just to make sure that nothing that I'm doing is bothering them. "Nope, I have bigger problems than anything you're doing." Was always the reply. Well, I guess that ends with stumps placed on my side of the circle, in the location the highway department told me, not 24 hours earlier. Apparently, the line is tree stumps. Then a gasket can be blown.

Maybe it was too hot this week? Street is clean. Branches and logs are all gone. Maybe he was beaten up by a stump at a young age? We may never know.

Hmm, your neighbor was obviously not happy, too bad that closed captioning is not available for that YouTube video as it appeared to be an expletive filled tirade.

Gord

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GRB1959.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-out-a-game-room?tu=GRB1959 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.