Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 442 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by yaksplat
  • Topic is favorited by 67 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

signs (resized).jpg
    numbers (resized).jpg
    IMG20221109183530 (resized).jpg
    IMG20221115130851 (resized).jpg
    dji_fly_20221115_131220_440_1668535946994_photo_optimized (resized).jpg
    IMG20221114191642 (resized).jpg
    IMG20221122082349 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1668892833095 (resized).jpg
    dji_fly_20221119_160416_445_1668891863895_photo_optimized (resized).jpg
    dji_fly_20221119_160256_442_1668891788211_photo_optimized (resized).jpg
    IMG20221118123704 (resized).jpg
    IMG20220628135808 (resized).jpg
    IMG20221102181151 (resized).jpg
    dji_fly_20221103_105546_426_1667487357857_photo_optimized (resized).jpg
    dji_fly_20221103_105656_428_1667487425057_photo_optimized (resized).jpg
    IMG20221030180123 (resized).jpg

There are 442 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.
    #401 58 days ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

So how is the roof coming along? Anymore progress there? Are the metal shingles easier or harder to work with?

It's coming. I've had a lot of other things going on so i haven't been able to dedicate a full day to working on it. The weather has been cooperating more than my schedule has. I decided to start the back with the hardest part. Right where the two planes join and overlap. Tons of ice shield in that area, just to be safe. The metal roofing takes a bit longer, but it's mostly in the edges. Valleys, drip edges, rakes and roof penetrations all have specific pieces and methods to keep water out. I also have a chimney hole here. There's actually a piece under the flashing that spans multiple rows to keep the water flowing.

Once you get into an area with no cuts, it really flies. A square can go up in under 15 minutes. One pallet is gone, which is 11.76 square. I have a 40 square roof, so that's about 29% complete.

dji_fly_20221003_102744_381_1664807270554_photo_optimized (resized).jpg

#402 58 days ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

I really like the time lapse video. How exactly did you do that?
    Gord

I download the videos from my cameras and then dump them into camtasia with an 80x speed increase.
    pasted_image (resized).png

#403 57 days ago

Today I received a letter in the mail from the town. I was confused at first because I just dove in and started reading, not realizing that it was not written to me and I was just copied on it.

Basically a big FU to my neighbor about all of his complaints.

#404 57 days ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Today I received a letter in the mail from the town. I was confused at first because I just dove in and started reading, not realizing that it was not written to me and I was just copied on it.
    Basically a big FU to my neighbor about all of his complaints.
    [quoted image]

Nice, it sounds like the Code Enforcement Officer is wise to your neighbor's constant carping about your project. Did your neighbor ever receive a fine from the city for draining his above ground pool onto a portion of your property?

Gord

#405 56 days ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

Nice, it sounds like the Code Enforcement Officer is wise to your neighbor's constant carping about your project. Did your neighbor ever receive a fine from the city for draining his above ground pool onto a portion of your property?
    Gord

They've been on my side since day one of the complaining when my neighbor went into the building department with guns blazing. Somehow, he thought they'd be sympathetic to his plight as he screamed at them for 45 minutes. He should write a book, "How to Make Enemies and Alienate people"

The inspector mentioned a fine, but I don't know the result of it.

#406 52 days ago

Just about done with the annoying parts of the roof. Roof penetrations and making planes meet. The two sides of the back peak start at different elevations but have to line up since panels will go all the way from one side of the house to the other. In order to do it I basically install a starter strip in the middle of a panel to line up with the other side.

It's by no means perfect. In fact, the left side was wandering up a couple of inches, but now the next row will go all the way across. Roof is about 45% done, but the weather hasn't been cooperating. Roofing panels are no fun when the wind is gusting to 20mph.

dji_fly_20221009_170424_383_1665349481403_photo_optimized (resized).jpg

#407 52 days ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

the left side was wandering up a couple of inches,

Would not have noticed if you didn't point this out. It will never be seen from the ground. This photo really shows how ugly your neighbor's pool looks though. Will be nice not to have to see that. I think you said you were re-roofing the existing house with the same metal shingles, I assume after you are done with the new?

#408 51 days ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Would not have noticed if you didn't point this out. It will never be seen from the ground. This photo really shows how ugly your neighbor's pool looks though. Will be nice not to have to see that. I think you said you were re-roofing the existing house with the same metal shingles, I assume after you are done with the new?

The existing house is metal shingles, but back when i did it in 2009. There's still 27 years on the warranty. It's the old design, so it's incompatible with the new version. I'm planning on redoing the front porch roof in spring because it's visible from the street. The kitchen in back (hip roof) is going to be done with the old shingles that I pulled off during the demo. They're still perfectly fine and I'd rather use them than waste them. Unfortunately, they faded a bit.

Oh, and yeah, that entire pool area looks like crap. I've looked at it for 17 years. My turn to control the view.

2 weeks later
    #409 35 days ago

Any updates?

#410 35 days ago

I've had a week of bad weather and then a week of good weather. After doing a bunch of roofing, there were still a handful of shingles laying on the roof and the wind was gusting to 30. One ended up in a tree, 25' up and 30' away from the house.
    dji_fly_20221017_132624_397_1666027617289_photo_optimized (resized).jpg
    I'm not sure how I'll get that one down, because it's really in there.

A lot of the plumbing has been completed. All of the venting is done as well as the copper stubs. All of the work left is now in the basement.
    IMG20221017133023 (resized).jpg

I spent an entire day doing nothing but the front soffits on the double peak. That was miserable. The one side of the small peak had bowed out an inch. To remove the bow, I had to use rachet straps on the inside to pull it straight. IMG20221022145117 (resized).jpg
    But that led to me finally finishing taping the front up, closing up the peaks and trimming back the ridges.
    dji_fly_20221022_165954_403_1666472437436_photo_optimized (resized).jpg

THE CONTAINER IS GONE!
    IMG20221024094045 (resized).jpg
    After 19 months in my driveway, the container left this past monday. We hauled everything out on two consecutive weekends with help from friends. Everything is now in the basement or the garage.G4 Basement - 10-27-2022, 7.01.07am (resized).jpgG4 Garage - 10-27-2022, 7.00.39am (resized).jpg

The house can finally be seen in unobstructed fashion from the street.
    IMG20221024174852 (resized).jpg

There's about 600 square feet of total roof left to do. A bit on either side of the 10 pitch. My nephew and I attempted to do the 10 pitch with no roof jacks and just using ropes and harnesses. That failed horribly after about an hour. We found out that hanging off ropes is exhausting. So the roof jacks went up and we had walkable planks.
    dji_fly_20221026_082802_413_1666787290594_photo_optimized (resized).jpgdji_fly_20221025_092732_409_1666704464939_photo_optimized (resized).jpg

All of the doors and windows have been installed.
    dji_fly_20221017_132752_400_1666027677915_photo_optimized (resized).jpg
    Thank god that I have the loader. There would have been no lifting the quadruple bank of windows, the transom, or the sliding door. That door was heavier than the 12' bank of windows.
    IMG20221023192519 (resized).jpg

After rain yesterday, there is supposed to be a stretch of good weather until Monday. That should be enough time to finish off the roof completely. Which is great, because there's only 2 hours of sunlight each day after I finish working. At that point it's only indoor tasks; bracing and electrical.

#411 35 days ago

HEY! Skelly!

#412 35 days ago

Great update! Front facade ties together nicely - I really like it when larger garages are broken up visually into smaller sections. Is the stone wascot you are going to do on the main house going to continue around the garage? Also, what color of siding are you thinking about?

#413 35 days ago

We're in full halloween mode here since the halloween bins came out of the container. Big guy was a new purchase this year though. The moving eyes are super cool.

IMG20221016205951 (resized).jpgIMG20221016210000 (resized).jpg
    #414 35 days ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Great update! Front facade ties together nicely - I really like it when larger garages are broken up visually into smaller sections. Is the stone wascot you are going to do on the main house going to continue around the garage? Also, what color of siding are you thinking about?

Thanks! The original design that I received was just two, 16' doors on a flat plane. It looked terrible. Then I came up with the basic design of the peaks and sent it over and that's what we ended up with. The stone will go across the whole front and possibly the back. I haven't priced it out in a while, so I don't know if the prices went insane like everything else has.

#415 35 days ago

Oh, and here's a better view of the shingle in the tree, only because it's so stupid.

IMG20221027082127 (resized).jpg
    #416 35 days ago

We've got both Skelly and the pumpkin king (my favorite of the 2 by far). They look pretty amazing with the setup in the yard.

Holy crap - those are 12' ceilings in that room... that's pretty epic for a lower level!

#417 34 days ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

We've got both Skelly and the pumpkin king (my favorite of the 2 by far). They look pretty amazing with the setup in the yard.
    Holy crap - those are 12' ceilings in that room... that's pretty epic for a lower level!

That's the only level in the addition. It's all single story. 8', 10' and then 12' in just that single room. 12' looks pretty, but holy crap that's high up when you're dealing with it. I don't like being up there. I don't like doing bracing above it. I don't like wiring above it. Getting anywhere near the hole for the staircase adds 11' and makes it worse. I think I have PTSD from my fall a year ago.

I did see that Home Depot is selling everything at 50% off now. I may have to check for anything else that's available.

#418 34 days ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Oh, and here's a better view of the shingle in the tree, only because it's so stupid.[quoted image]

I have one of these extension poles with a hook attachment that has proven to be very valuable to retrieve airplane gliders and other toys thrown by grandchildren onto our roof. It extends to 24 feet and it is a lot safer than getting up on a ladder.

Something like this would be handy for getting those shingles out of your tree.

https://tinyurl.com/2xlegmm7

Gord

#419 31 days ago

Time for some stupid drama.

I finally got my new survey drawing. The surveyor is right next to the building dept, so I dropped a copy off. It shows that I'm absolutely not too close to the fence and my neighbor can go push on a rope. So, when I get home, I'm looking at the drawing and dropping it in cad in my drawings and I notice something. My front setback, which is supposed to be a minimum of 35' is not 35', but 34.53'.

IMG20221027102956 (resized).jpg

I'm thinking, how could this happen, everything was built right off the plans. I even took into consideration if the foundation was poured an extra inch or 2, which it was. Then I figured it out. The architect's plan view drawing was wrong.

This drawing didn't match his other drawing.

So, I'm over by 5-5/8". Perhaps they won't notice....

Doorbell rings 30 minutes later. Inspector is here with a stop order. He said they were trying to figure it out as well with what happened, and they found it was the architect's issue as well. But that doesn't matter as it's on the homeowner. So, he said he can't stop me from making the house watertight, which is what I'm doing, so I don't really have to stop. However, I have two choices. Get a variance, and the next meeting isn't until mid-December, at which time my moron neighbors will be able to speak against me getting a variance. Or fix it.

I can't stop working for 7 weeks, so I choose to fix it. I got the town, surveyor, and architect all on the same page with my planned fix. Cut the corner off the house. It's really the foundation that is the measuring point, so cut the foundation I shall. On Saturday, I ripped out the wall above that corner and cut off the corner, rebuilt it and all is well. It's an absolutely stupid fix, but I can keep working with no stop.

IMG20221030180123 (resized).jpg

Neighbors didn't have time to find out about the stop order, so they can't complain about anything. I should be 35'1" from the front line now. So much fun.

#420 31 days ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

So, I'm over by 5-5/8". Perhaps they won't notice....
    Doorbell rings 30 minutes later. Inspector is here with a stop order. He said they were trying to figure it out as well with what happened, and they found it was the architect's issue as well. But that doesn't matter as it's on the homeowner. So, he said he can't stop me from making the house watertight, which is what I'm doing, so I don't really have to stop. However, I have two choices. Get a variance, and the next meeting isn't until mid-December, at which time my moron neighbors will be able to speak against me getting a variance. Or fix it.
    I can't stop working for 7 weeks, so I choose to fix it. I got the town, surveyor, and architect all on the same page with my planned fix. Cut the corner off the house. It's really the foundation that is the measuring point, so cut the foundation I shall. On Saturday, I ripped out the wall above that corner and cut off the corner, rebuilt it and all is well. It's an absolutely stupid fix, but I can keep working with no stop.
    Neighbors didn't have time to find out about the stop order, so they can't complain about anything. I should be 35'1" from the front line now. So much fun.

Holy shit! Glad you got that fixed. It would have sucked to let your neighbour have another venue to complain. Especially after so much work.

#421 31 days ago

Bravo!!!!
    I love the man who thinks and plays outside of the box.
    Very well done Sir!

#422 31 days ago

Great solution, right choice!

#423 31 days ago

Nice work around. If anything, that architect should pay for the change order. Your time and material at least.

#424 30 days ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Anytime you can eliminate your nosy neighbor from having anything to do with your remodeling process you have done the right thing. Well done indeed.

Gord

#425 30 days ago
    Quoted from RobW:

Nice work around. If anything, that architect should pay for the change order. Your time and material at least.

I'm going to approach that one later. I'm planning a pavilion in the backyard and I'll need drawings for that. At that time I'm going to ask for a very large discount. As large as my time and materials for this fix.

#426 28 days ago

H-O-L-Y C-R-A-P

Well done sir

#427 28 days ago

Well yaksplat,
    I have to tell you this is one of my favorite threads on Pinside. Every time I see a post pop up and I get excited about seeing the progress (and I feel inadequate all at the same time ). We haven't even got to the Arcade part yet!

Your solution at the corner was great and I wonder if my OCD would let me do what you did, but it was totally the right choice. Keep the progress reports coming!

#428 28 days ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Well yaksplat,
    I have to tell you this is one of my favorite threads on Pinside. Every time I see a post pop up and I get excited about seeing the progress (and I feel inadequate all at the same time ). We haven't even got to the Arcade part yet!
    Your solution at the corner was great and I wonder if my OCD would let me do what you did, but it was totally the right choice. Keep the progress reports coming!

Thanks! It's certain a fun process. I enjoy the fact that just about everything is documented on here too.

I constantly walk the line between engineering brain and construction brain. It's always a battle. Rough framing should be exact, but there are so many other layers that go up where the tolerances drop. A high rafter produces a wave in the sheeting, but then once it's roofed, that pretty much vanishes. I have to resist the urge to fix every little thing. My engineering and furniture making brain wants everything within a few thousandths. But that's just not practical to getting a project like this done.

We're all sick of living in half of a house and we all want this project done. Thinking about having a free day or a weekend with nothing going on keeps me going. I keep seeing weather predictions for this winter where we're supposed to get over 100" of snow and it'll be the snowiest winter in a long time. So, I better have this thing all buttoned up.

I'm entering the phase where I have to rely on some other people and I'm starting to get nervous. My cousin is doing a hell of a job with the plumbing. He comes out once or twice a week and just keeps chugging away. I'll be doing the electrical, but I'm relying on someone else for the HVAC, insulation and drywall.

The pricing of everything has gotten stupid. The place where I buy everything for plumbing and electrical has had 5 price increases this year. Normally they have one or maybe two. I wanted to put rockwool in everywhere. It's superior to fiberglass in every way. But guess what? The price of it soared in the last year and you can't reliably get it. So, I'll be getting fiberglass. I'm hoping they can all get done for drywall in December. Worst case scenario is that i buy the drywall in December before the price increase hits on 1/1.

#429 28 days ago

And now some progress.

The roof is essentially done. I say essentially, because I still have the kitchen roof to do, but it's small, shallow and not high up. In order to do it, i need to replace the window that's right at the edge of the roof. The window is too close. So close in fact that i couldn't jam roofing in there if i tried. Here's an old pic, but it gets the point across.
    IMG20220628135808 (resized).jpg

There's some sawdust up there from cutting the ridges, and I still have a plank to remove, but I'm out of the woods.
    dji_fly_20221103_105656_428_1667487425057_photo_optimized (resized).jpg
    dji_fly_20221103_105546_426_1667487357857_photo_optimized (resized).jpg

Working with steel roofs is a unique animal. With asphalt, you just slap it together. This takes a little more thinking about how the water is going to flow. Here's the joint of three ridges and a valley. Lots of cuts to make it all work and always have water going downhill. I'll caulk it still and get the grit on the caulk which hides everything.
    IMG20221102181151 (resized).jpg

No more worries about water.

#430 28 days ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

The pricing of everything has gotten stupid. The place where I buy everything for plumbing and electrical has had 5 price increases this year. Normally they have one or maybe two. I wanted to put rockwool in everywhere. It's superior to fiberglass in every way. But guess what? The price of it soared in the last year and you can't reliably get it. So, I'll be getting fiberglass. I'm hoping they can all get done for drywall in December.

For the first time in a while, we recently received construction bids that were lower than estimates for 2023 work. Still high of course, but with the interest rates hikes, a reduction in future planned projects, and supply chain issues easing some, I am hoping we see stabilization and maybe even some reductions, at least on materials sourced in the US and Canada. Zip Sheathing is at $29 for 4X8 at the big box here which is the lowest it has been in some time.

I wonder on insulation if you had considered blown in Cellulose. I have it in my house, super tight with no voids. It was cheaper than fiberglass at the time (20 years ago with a new provider in my area that wanted the business). You can rent the machine for the loose blown in (attic), and get a bid for wall cavities (it is wetted to stick, you wait a day or two to reach the right moisture content before buttoning it up).

2 weeks later
    #431 8 days ago

Hey, it snowed. And i mean snowed...
    dji_fly_20221119_160256_442_1668891788211_photo_optimized (resized).jpgdji_fly_20221119_160416_445_1668891863895_photo_optimized (resized).jpg
    I think we got about 60 inches of snow or so.

I had fun driving the loader around the neighborhood, clearing out driveways for beer.
    FB_IMG_1668892833095 (resized).jpg

The big plows stop working at this point and they have to send in the front end loaders
    IMG20221118123704 (resized).jpg
    Now this is the absolute worst case scenario for a house. This is the loading that we prepared for. I'll tell ya, the first foot or so was heavy, I mean 20-25 pounds heavy. The design load is 50# per square foot, and I would think we were somewhere in the forties, and I could see the strain happening on the supports. Now, I have not finished all of the supports and I probably should have by now, but some of them are done, and in those planes, I saw no deflection. However, in the back plane that's a 4 pitch, I saw deflection in the midspan support.

It's hard to see in this picture, but in-between the vertical pieces, you can see the 2x4 bowing. I took this today, after the melt was already occurring, but after all the snow fell, the deflection was 1/2" in each 4' section. It scared the crap out of me.
    IMG20221122082349 (resized).jpg

I have to wait for the snow to melt so i can get the supports in there in a non-deflected state. Otherwise, my supports won't be located correctly.

Other fun updates:
    Front corner is finalized. I don't think it looks too bad.
    IMG20221115130851 (resized).jpg

Some supports are in. I can tell you how much fun this was to get a 20' douglas fir 2x10 installed 8' up. This is a perlin that would have prevented deflection on the back section. Coming soon to the back plane.
    IMG20221114191642 (resized).jpg

The roof is 100%
    dji_fly_20221115_131220_440_1668535946994_photo_optimized (resized).jpg

That's old roofing on the kitchen section. It kind of looks like crap, but you can't see it unless you're in a drone. The exterior is 100% complete for the winter.

Plumbing is 70% complete and the electrical is 20%

After watching my cousin do the plumbing, i don't know how i could have done it on my own. All of the things that he's taken into consideration that I would never have thought of blows my mind.
    IMG20221109183530 (resized).jpg

#432 8 days ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Hey, it snowed. And i mean snowed...
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    I think we got about 60 inches of snow or so.
    I had fun driving the loader around the neighborhood, clearing out driveways for beer.
    [quoted image]
    The big plows stop working at this point and they have to send in the front end loaders
    [quoted image]
    Now this is the absolute worst case scenario for a house. This is the loading that we prepared for. I'll tell ya, the first foot or so was heavy, I mean 20-25 pounds heavy. The design load is 50# per square foot, and I would think we were somewhere in the forties, and I could see the strain happening on the supports. Now, I have not finished all of the supports and I probably should have by now, but some of them are done, and in those planes, I saw no deflection. However, in the back plane that's a 4 pitch, I saw deflection in the midspan support.
    It's hard to see in this picture, but in-between the vertical pieces, you can see the 2x4 bowing. I took this today, after the melt was already occurring, but after all the snow fell, the deflection was 1/2" in each 4' section. It scared the crap out of me.
    [quoted image]
    I have to wait for the snow to melt so i can get the supports in there in a non-deflected state. Otherwise, my supports won't be located correctly.
    Other fun updates:
    [quoted image]
    Some supports are in. I can tell you how much fun this was to get a 20' douglas fir 2x10 installed 8' up. This is a perlin that would have prevented deflection on the back section. Coming soon to the back plane.
    [quoted image]
    The roof is 100%
    [quoted image]
    That's old roofing on the kitchen section. It kind of looks like crap, but you can't see it unless you're in a drone. The exterior is 100% complete for the winter.
    After watching my cousin do the plumbing, i don't know how i could have done it on my own. All of the things that he's taken into consideration that I would never have thought of blows my mind.
    [quoted image]

Now I know why the Bills football game last Sunday was moved indoors to Ford Field in Detroit. That is one heck of a snow storm.

Gord

#433 8 days ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Other fun updates:

It doesn't look bad at all. In fact, I am wondering if you should turn it into a design feature, like putting the house number on it vertically or lighting, etc. Maybe a different stone treatment too.

numbers (resized).jpg
    #434 8 days ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

It doesn't look bad at all. In fact, I am wondering if you should turn it into a design feature, like putting the house number on it vertically or lighting, etc. Maybe a different stone treatment too.
    [quoted image]

I like the look of that, but my house number is 2. Just 2.

We were thinking of putting a bush there that's lit up with some kind of sconce.

#435 8 days ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

We were thinking of putting a bush there that's lit up with some kind of sconce.

Love it:

J
    U
    S
    T

#436 7 days ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]

When we put a second story on our home, I did some of the plumbing and you were smart letting your cousin do it, plumbing is not easy.
    Are you still active on the BYOAC forums?

#437 7 days ago

Could always do

T
    W
    O

as well. Great thread and looking great! Awesome work!

#438 7 days ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

Love it:

J
    U
    S
    T

Quoted from SNES:

Could always do

T
    W
    O

In Great Britain and some other European Countries, houses get names. Though we don't have a plaque outside (yet) we named our house Koselig Hjem, Cozy Home in Norwegian (Cozy is not really a one for one translation, the word actually means much more, like sitting by a fire on a cold winter's night, grandparents visiting from far away, baking cookies with your children, etc.)

Could do a house name (Pin related of course!), or the street address, illuminated from behind or from a fixture above for a more vertical orientation. Could also do a sign that is mostly blank except for the "2" at the bottom.

OK, enough on signs for me. Now that the roof is done, and it looks like the windows are done (?), guessing block framing inside, finishing plumbing/electrical rough-ins and insulation?

signs (resized).jpg
    #439 7 days ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

In Great Britain and some other European Countries, houses get names. Though we don't have a plaque outside (yet) we named our house Koselig Hjem, Cozy Home in Norwegian (Cozy is not really a one for one translation, the word actually means much more, like sitting by a fire on a cold winter's night, grandparents visiting from far away, baking cookies with your children, etc.)
    Could do a house name (Pin related of course!), or the street address, illuminated from behind or from a fixture above for a more vertical orientation. Could also do a sign that is mostly blank except for the "2" at the bottom.
    OK, enough on signs for me. Now that the roof is done, and it looks like the windows are done (?), guessing block framing inside, finishing plumbing/electrical rough-ins and insulation?
    [quoted image]

yaksplat should go with “2 Neighbor’s View”

#440 7 days ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Your sign could be-

F
    E
    E
    T

Crazy you had to do that, but at least you will have a story to go with the unique look.

#441 6 days ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

When we put a second story on our home, I did some of the plumbing and you were smart letting your cousin do it, plumbing is not easy.
    Are you still active on the BYOAC forums?

I've learned a lot of little tricks from watching him. Like when running 50' of 3 inch pipe that is pitched at 1/8" per foot, you don't pitch the pipe, but you pitch the supports, or the holes that you drill in the concrete for the fasteners. Then you use the same size pieces of strapping and the pipe is pitched perfectly. Measuring off of sheeting joints instead of walls.... Lots of obvious things that aren't obvious

I haven't been on BYOAC in a long time since I finished my build. I built a ton of control panels for people though.

#442 6 days ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Now that the roof is done, and it looks like the windows are done (?), guessing block framing inside, finishing plumbing/electrical rough-ins and insulation?

Plumbing is almost done. I'm currently doing the electrical, which is not as fast as i wish it was. But I'm also designing everything as i'm running wire. Walking through doorways and seeing where my hand would go for switches. Then trying to think where lights should be. The furnace and venting will be going in as well. He's supposed to come over today if he recovered from being sick.

After that is the framing inspection along with the plumbing and electrical. Once I pass that, I can get the insulation done and then on to drywall.

There are 442 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!