Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 825 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by yaksplat
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20240409102255 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-25-20-11-01-31_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081020 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240409102332 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408085147 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408085056 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084329 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084821 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084043 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408082444 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081024 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081030 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240406130804 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240406125907 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240224124400 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240219121230 (resized).jpg
    There are 825 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 17.
    #351 1 year ago

I love the idea of geothermal. There's a zero % chance of carbon monoxide poisoning, but the price in my area was insane. Even with all of the state and federal credits. I honestly think that everyone raised their prices higher, to soak up the credits and as soon as the credits end, the prices will drop to how it was with the credits.

My house is a bit more difficult as an HVAC problem. I have to heat and cool 1662 sqft. But then I later have to heat and cool 4162 sqft. This results in two installations. One for the existing and another for the new portion.

Add in the future 2500 square feet in the basement and that's a whole other complication. But i don't necessarily want to heat and cool the whole basement. I want to do just a few rooms and only on demand. My office, the gym, my wife's room and then the home theater. Home theaters are a whole separate animal. They have no heat load in them, or a very small load, but then add ten people and you have a huge load. I've been talking to my installer about using a Mini split for this situation. I'll be able to heat and cool these 4 rooms on demand instead of always having them conditioned. Considering the basement is 8' below grade will bring about some natural climate control from the walls. But I won't know exactly how that is until the whole house is sealed up.

But this will all be a fun problem to have after working outside for the last 4 months.

#352 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I love the idea of geothermal. There's a zero % chance of carbon monoxide poisoning, but the price in my area was insane. Even with all of the state and federal credits. I honestly think that everyone raised their prices higher, to soak up the credits and as soon as the credits end, the prices will drop to how it was with the credits.
    My house is a bit more difficult as an HVAC problem. I have to heat and cool 1662 sqft. But then I later have to heat and cool 4162 sqft. This results in two installations. One for the existing and another for the new portion.
    Add in the future 2500 square feet in the basement and that's a whole other complication. But i don't necessarily want to heat and cool the whole basement. I want to do just a few rooms and only on demand. My office, the gym, my wife's room and then the home theater. Home theaters are a whole separate animal. They have no heat load in them, or a very small load, but then add ten people and you have a huge load. I've been talking to my installer about using a Mini split for this situation. I'll be able to heat and cool these 4 rooms on demand instead of always having them conditioned. Considering the basement is 8' below grade will bring about some natural climate control from the walls. But I won't know exactly how that is until the whole house is sealed up.
    But this will all be a fun problem to have after working outside for the last 4 months.

Our northern Indiana basement is rather cool in the spring, around the time the upstairs temperature is fine and the furnace never runs. Our furnace doesn't have a variable speed fan, which I think would have benefited us by always stirring up the air between the basement and upstairs on a low speed. No biggie, I just flip the fan switch manually when needed.

I'm not sure what layout you settled on, but just off the top of my head, I'd do the mini split on any enclosed room that touches an outside wall (you know that ). But maybe you can just do a cold air return in the theater room and one active vent just to have air circulation - tie that into the upstairs HVAC. Have you thought about the zone HVAC, w/the basement being the other zone? That might work. There's the systems that use the mini ducts if running the large ductwork is an issue. Don't know - just tossing that out there.

No kidding on geo thermal and credits, just was hard to justify vs. the cost of 6" walls and better insulation. Plus the 6" is passive (no upkeep cost) and just makes for a more comfortable living space. I thought the heat pump was a good alternative.

Even in just the last 12 years since we built, things have really changed up a bit w/respect to construction and HVAC. What I built prior wouldn't be what I build today. One thing I'd do different would be to have 2" foam boards on the inside basement walls and no bat insulation. For the most part, 2" foam boards keeps the condensation layer inside the foam. I get the impression they do basement insulation wrong in the northern climates.

#353 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I can't count the number of geo thermal systems I've seen, then they use 2x4 walls with no foam skim coat - just sorta defeats the purpose of geo-thermal.

Quoted from yaksplat:

I love the idea of geothermal. There's a zero % chance of carbon monoxide poisoning, but the price in my area was insane. Even with all of the state and federal credits.

We did a similar project as yaksplat 20 years ago (not the same scale though!) where we took a lake cottage, added a second story and a great room addition. At that time we also put in a geothermal system. All new walls were 2X6 with wet spray cellulose insulation, all windows low E and most of the window surface area is on the south side, with Deciduous trees blocking the summer sun and then dropping their leaves for winter solar gain. We were on propane, so the payback was way quicker than natural gas (3.5 years). We also got a reduced electrical rate from our CO-OP of .05 cents a kilowatt hr. and the excess heat is run through the hot water heater too which helped with the payback

Geothermal heat has been great - in the summer, it is very cheap to run to cool the house, as the differential in ground temperature and air temperature is greater. My only regret is not drilling one extra well. At the time, the cost-benefit said it would be 20 years before we would make up the difference between electrical resistance backup for those very few sub 10 degree days. Well, electrical rates have gone up and we at now at 20 years, and thinking about another addition. Not sure how hard it would be to retrofit one or more wells. The biggest benefit of Geothermal, combined with a tight building envelope, has been an overall even heat and cooling, a relatively quiet system that has been very reliable. There is no outdoor condenser, and when the inside unit wears out and needs to be replaced, we will still have plenty of life left on the wells, 50 years or more.

#354 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

We did a similar project as yaksplat 20 years ago (not the same scale though!) where we took a lake cottage, added a second story and a great room addition. At that time we also put in a geothermal system. All new walls were 2X6 with wet spray cellulose insulation, all windows low E and most of the window surface area is on the south side, with Deciduous trees blocking the summer sun and then dropping their leaves for winter solar gain. We were on propane, so the payback was way quicker than natural gas (3.5 years). We also got a reduced electrical rate from our CO-OP of .05 cents a kilowatt hr. and the excess heat is run through the hot water heater too which helped with the payback
    Geothermal heat has been great - in the summer, it is very cheap to run to cool the house, as the differential in ground temperature and air temperature is greater. My only regret is not drilling one extra well. At the time, the cost-benefit said it would be 20 years before we would make up the difference between electrical resistance backup for those very few sub 10 degree days. Well, electrical rates have gone up and we at now at 20 years, and thinking about another addition. Not sure how hard it would be to retrofit one or more wells. The biggest benefit of Geothermal, combined with a tight building envelope, has been an overall even heat and cooling, a relatively quiet system that has been very reliable. There is no outdoor condenser, and when the inside unit wears out and needs to be replaced, we will still have plenty of life left on the wells, 50 years or more.

A minor sidebar to yaksplat's build thread...

So it sounds like you are open loop? Or are you closed loop and just went vertically instead of horizontal? Are you lake front, where you could go out in the water? One of my neighbors ran his to the pond, but I almost want to say it was open loop.

#355 1 year ago

I'd be concerned with using open loop. When using external water, there is a high possibility of fouling inside the tubes. I'm sure there are filters, but you still run that risk which would decrease the amount of heat transfer and increase the system operating cost to maintain the same outputs.

#356 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

So it sounds like you are open loop? Or are you closed loop and just went vertically instead of horizontal? Are you lake front, where you could go out in the water?

Closed loop, vertical wells 150' deep. They drill an 8" hole using water well drilling equipment and loop the piping in and out of each hole, which is backfilled with a bentonite clay for good geo-conductivity. Horizontal loops would not have worked for us as we are mostly wooded and the one area of lawn that might have worked is too small and has our septic system on it.

The lake we are on is public and we are on a cove that loses it's water in the winter when they draw down the lake level so that would not work for either open loop or closed loop.

#357 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I'd be concerned with using open loop. When using external water, there is a high possibility of fouling inside the tubes. I'm sure there are filters, but you still run that risk which would decrease the amount of heat transfer and increase the system operating cost to maintain the same outputs.

Yeah...hard water deposits would be my concern. Maybe there's a work-around tho, given the maturity of geo-thermal.

#358 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Yeah...hard water deposits would be my concern. Maybe there's a work-around tho, given the maturity of geo-thermal.

Open loops have a separate heat exchanger where the open loop water transfers to a closed loop in the system. Still, really corrosive water can cause this exchanger to scale up/corrode and this is hard to fix as there is generally no good way to treat the water economically at the volumes needed. I got a grant from the department of energy to use water in an abandoned mine as an open loop system (pump in one area of the mine, dump in another) for the Illinois National Guard. This corrosive water was one of our concerns. Managed to hit the Mine 2/3 test wells (Illinois Coal Mine approximately 160' below the surface). It had been abandoned for over 50 years, and there was only about 18" of water in it - not enough to run the system. That was a surprise. There was also methane but we did not have mineral rights or a way to capture/use that. We capped our wells and used the rest of the grant to put in a conventional field that covered half the building.

And now hopefully back to some progress reports from yaksplat , sorry for the derailing. I am a geothermal fan though, have put in in four large commercial buildings and I always try to consider it if the budget can support it.

#359 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Open loops have a separate heat exchanger where the open loop water transfers to a closed loop in the system. Still, really corrosive water can cause this exchanger to scale up/corrode and this is hard to fix as there is generally no good way to treat the water economically at the volumes needed. I got a grant from the department of energy to use water in an abandoned mine as an open loop system (pump in one area of the mine, dump in another) for the Illinois National Guard. This corrosive water was one of our concerns. Managed to hit the Mine 2/3 test wells (Illinois Coal Mine approximately 160' below the surface). It had been abandoned for over 50 years, and there was only about 18" of water in it - not enough to run the system. That was a surprise. There was also methane but we did not have mineral rights or a way to capture/use that. We capped our wells and used the rest of the grant to put in a conventional field that covered half the building.
    And now hopefully back to some progress reports from yaksplat , sorry for the derailing. I am a geothermal fan though, have put in in four large commercial buildings and I always try to consider it if the budget can support it.

Wow - the mine stuff sounds interesting. Gotcha on the heat exchanger w/respect to open loop.

Back to the build thread.

#360 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

sorry for the derailing. I am a geothermal fan though, have put in in four large commercial buildings and I always try to consider it if the budget can support it.

I was a heat transfer engineer at the start of my career. It was fun stuff and I learned a lot, but that was it. There was nothing new and it was forever dealing in old tech. All of the equations were developed in the 20's-40's and that was it. It was neat, but not the focus of a career neat. Besides, there were only two heat transfer companies in my area. People worked for one and then switched at some point in their career. But that was it. Computer science took me out of that realm and led me to where i could work for any company in the country. I'm glad i have the engineering knowledge, but CS is the way to go in tech for me.

I'm also back out in the job market. I was hoping to make the current job last until i was done with the build, but that's not happening. My boss has decided that in order to compensate for our off shore team's low productivity, we should work 60 hour weeks. I basically told him to shove it. Interview with Draft Kings tomorrow morning.

#361 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I basically told him to shove it. Interview with Draft Kings tomorrow morning.

Good luck with the interview! I think it is a great job market for CS still. Lot's of our CS/IT folks work from home - started with COVID but now it is a perk since we are government and our pay doesn't match what they can get in the private sector.

#362 1 year ago

Good luck with job hunting. I love this thread!

#363 1 year ago

Another very long weekend of working outside, but completely worth it. The double valley off the back was built.
    dji_fly_20220903_083732_319_1662208661593_photo_optimized (resized).jpgdji_fly_20220903_083732_319_1662208661593_photo_optimized (resized).jpg
    Then my neighbor that helps got covid, so I was on my own and I tackled the last 3 rafters on the back.
    dji_fly_20220903_084120_327_1662208887704_photo_optimized (resized).jpgdji_fly_20220903_084120_327_1662208887704_photo_optimized (resized).jpg
    This is the part that I've been stressing out about for the last 18 months. Needing to tie into the house and pulling off half the back roof. Any delays or rain could result in water in the attic. I put in 11 hours on Saturday, with rain forecasted overnight and all day Sunday. I peeled off the roof all the way up. To get the first one out in the lower left, I had to follow the stagger all the way up. At the end of Saturday, I wasn't done. Close, but not done, but my hands stopped working. They would cramp every time I grabbed something and then I'd have to force them back open.
    dji_fly_20220904_084314_329_1662295404208_photo_optimized (resized).jpgdji_fly_20220904_084314_329_1662295404208_photo_optimized (resized).jpg
    We had to hope for the best, as the forecast improved, and it looked like the rain would be holding off until 3 the next day. It looked like it drizzled a bit overnight, but that was it. It turned out that my neighbor was staying home because he thought I wouldn't want him here because of the covid. But I just had it for the third time a couple weeks ago, so why not.
    We sheeted the section that I was working on and the side of the master roof.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    IMG20220904193038 (resized).jpgIMG20220904193038 (resized).jpg
    dji_fly_20220904_180446_331_1662329109477_photo_optimized (resized).jpgdji_fly_20220904_180446_331_1662329109477_photo_optimized (resized).jpg

I was able to get some child labor in as well.
    IMG20220904191123 (resized).jpgIMG20220904191123 (resized).jpg

5 rafters and about 80 sheets left.

#364 1 year ago

Awesome!

#365 1 year ago

Great update.
    Major moves made.

#366 1 year ago

And it appeared to work out as we just had 1.25" of rain today

#367 1 year ago

Lookin good man, love the updates!!!

#368 1 year ago

3 planes left for sheeting and 3 rafters left.

dji_fly_20220907_082832_344_1662553717875_photo_optimized (resized).jpgdji_fly_20220907_082832_344_1662553717875_photo_optimized (resized).jpg
    #369 1 year ago

Just a back corner sheeting timelapse. Also realized rain was incoming and it needed to be taped before the end of the night.

#370 1 year ago

Outstanding!

#371 1 year ago

We're finally, effectively dried in.

It rained today and everything stayed dry. I just worked inside installing temporary lights since it's now dark with no holes to the sky above me
    IMG20220911222528 (resized).jpgIMG20220911222528 (resized).jpg
    IMG20220911222742 (resized).jpgIMG20220911222742 (resized).jpg
    Still 44 sheets to go, but that's all over the garage

1 week later
    #372 1 year ago

That last load of sheets was no joke. But I'm done.

I never want to frame or sheet a gable again. Carrying that final sheet up to the top was horrible. 24' up and slow moving. Basically just trying to not die.
    IMG20220916140341 (resized).jpgIMG20220916140341 (resized).jpg

We needed to put up planks along the side as we went. Also not fun getting 20' douglas fir 2x10's up there. I'm pretty sure they were upwards of 80# each. But nice to walk on once they're there.
    IMG20220917185146 (resized).jpgIMG20220917185146 (resized).jpg

Moron next door decided that this would be a good time to empty his pool into my yard, right where we were working and walking. Good and illegal. The town will be fining him for that.
    IMG20220917145058 (resized).jpgIMG20220917145058 (resized).jpg

But, after a long weekend of work, all the sheeting is up! Well, I still have a small piece in each gable and a piece where i walk through to the kitchen roof. But I have one full sheet and a lot of scraps to tackle those.
    dji_fly_20220919_095730_361_1663595858318_photo_optimized (resized).jpgdji_fly_20220919_095730_361_1663595858318_photo_optimized (resized).jpg
    dji_fly_20220919_095630_357_1663595812018_photo_optimized (resized).jpgdji_fly_20220919_095630_357_1663595812018_photo_optimized (resized).jpg

Then it will be onto the roofing.
    IMG20220914104617 (resized).jpgIMG20220914104617 (resized).jpg
    IMG20220914104558 (resized).jpgIMG20220914104558 (resized).jpg

I did manage so pick up a couple dirt cheap things this weekend too, since this is a pinball board.
    IMG20220917091510 (resized).jpgIMG20220917091510 (resized).jpg
    IMG20220917121259 (resized).jpgIMG20220917121259 (resized).jpg

#373 1 year ago

Now for a few fun pictures. I find these amazing since I'm now done with rafters. It looks insane up in the attic.

Side gable intersection with the back plane and front peak.
    IMG20220919104005 (resized).jpgIMG20220919104005 (resized).jpg

The front plane.
    IMG20220919104043 (resized).jpgIMG20220919104043 (resized).jpg

Fron the edge of the great room over to the side gable.
    IMG20220919104110 (resized).jpgIMG20220919104110 (resized).jpg

The side of the front peak with the front plane and side gable intersecting with it.
    IMG20220919104123 (resized).jpgIMG20220919104123 (resized).jpg

Over the great room. My walk through to the left.
    IMG20220919104137 (resized).jpgIMG20220919104137 (resized).jpg

Looking back towards the master. Side gable to the right.
    IMG20220919104149 (resized).jpgIMG20220919104149 (resized).jpg

Under the front Peak.
    IMG20220919104157 (resized).jpgIMG20220919104157 (resized).jpg

New house guest.
    IMG20220919104421 (resized).jpgIMG20220919104421 (resized).jpg

#374 1 year ago

Man, I am loving those photos from the rafters!

#375 1 year ago

Got to be a great feeling! Roofing will seem like a breeze!

#376 1 year ago

This is so amazing! Congrats on the work thus far! What kind of roofing is that?

Chris

#377 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Man, I am loving those photos from the rafters!

I still have to put in all of the ridge supports, midspan supports, ties and purlins. That will certainly shrink the place up a bit. Even though I built it to the architect's plans, it turns out the ridge in the front was specified incorrectly, allowing the rafters to hang below the ridge board. Even though only 13/16" I have to correct it. Fortunately all I have to do is run ties across each rafter pair. Unfortunately the rafters are offset by 1.5" so the ties are going to be diagonal and a hair wonky.

#378 1 year ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

This is so amazing! Congrats on the work thus far! What kind of roofing is that?
    Chris

That's Decra, stone coated steel. It will outlive me. That way in 20 years or so, I won't have to pay someone $60k (future money) to reroof this joint.

#379 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Now for a few fun pictures. I find these amazing since I'm now done with rafters. It looks insane up in the attic.
    Side gable intersection with the back plane and front peak.
    [quoted image]
    The front plane.
    [quoted image]
    Fron the edge of the great room over to the side gable.
    [quoted image]
    The side of the front peak with the front plane and side gable intersecting with it.
    [quoted image]
    Over the great room. My walk through to the left.
    [quoted image]
    Looking back towards the master. Side gable to the right.
    [quoted image]
    Under the front Peak.
    [quoted image]
    New house guest.
    [quoted image]

The Amish does most of the framing in my neck of the woods, including the 2 houses I had built. Their formal education stops at the 8th grade.

My current house is a ranch with a tall roof and multiple pitches. I don't think there's two boards cut at the same angle anywhere in the attic. Crazy how they get it done, and quickly too. Every time I go into the attic, I'm still amazed.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#380 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

My current house is a ranch with a tall roof and multiple pitches. I don't think there's two boards cut at the same angle anywhere in the attic. Crazy how they get it done, and quickly too. Every time I go into the attic, I'm still amazed.
    [quoted image]

That architect needs to be slapped. Just because you can....

I simplified my roof compared to the plans. I eliminated unnecessary hips and replaced them with gables. Gables are stronger, and with the snow load we have here, hips almost shouldn't exist.

#381 1 year ago

Finally started roofing. I have about 40 square to do and this is the last roof of my life. I'm using Decra roofing, which are stone coated steel panels. It comes with a 50 year warranty. But somehow I don't think I'll care when I'm 95.

I started yesterday. Lots of messing around with ice shield and trim pieces. But today was a full day of nothing but roofing. 19% done, but I have 4 days of rain incoming.

212 pieces. 33 trips up and down the ladder.
    IMG20220924191555 (resized).jpgIMG20220924191555 (resized).jpg
    IMG20220924191606 (resized).jpgIMG20220924191606 (resized).jpg

#382 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Finally started roofing. I have about 40 square to do and this is the last roof of my life. I'm using Decra roofing, which are stone coated steel panels. It comes with a 50 year warranty. But somehow I don't think I'll care when I'm 95.
    I started yesterday. Lots of messing around with ice shield and trim pieces. But today was a full day of nothing but roofing. 19% done, but I have 4 days of rain incoming.
    212 pieces. 33 trips up and down the ladder.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Very interesting. I did asphalt roofing when I was a kid, but I have no clue about these Decra stone/steel pieces. How do you fix them to the roof?

#383 1 year ago

5 screws in each. They all hook together and can withstand 150 mph winds.

www.decra.com

#384 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

33 trips up and down the ladder.

No rooftop delivery on those shingles? Can you rent a shingle lift in your area? Of course after hauling up all those 4X8 sheets these probably don't seem as bad...

#385 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

No rooftop delivery on those shingles? Can you rent a shingle lift in your area? Of course after hauling up all those 4X8 sheets these probably don't seem as bad...

When I do the back I'll lift a whole pallet up with the loader. The spot I was working in was blocked by other pallets. Short sight on my part.

They recommend 15% scrap when you order. Well after 900 square feet this is my scrap.
    IMG20220925120444 (resized).jpgIMG20220925120444 (resized).jpg

I'm going to have extra....

#386 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

The spot I was working in was blocked by other pallets.

I did the same thing building a very long retaining wall - dropped the pallets by the workspace so they would be close - and they blocked getting the tractor in to move the 82 pound blocks easier. Did two pallets by hand to make room to get the tractor in and from then on out could slide 7 into the bucket at a time, set them on the wall, and slide them into place. Much faster and lesson learned.

#387 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

When I do the back I'll lift a whole pallet up with the loader. The spot I was working in was blocked by other pallets. Short sight on my part.
    They recommend 15% scrap when you order. Well after 900 square feet this is my scrap.
    [quoted image]
    I'm going to have extra....

Always better then being short ,can u take back what u don't use ,hope so

#388 1 year ago

Looks great, making good progress before winter gets here

#389 1 year ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

Always better then being short ,can u take back what u don't use ,hope so

That's the tricky thing. If you don't order enough, you're waiting 2-3 weeks for a delivery. If you order too much, you have extra. I bought it out of state and avoided sales tax, which is 8.75% in my case, and it was about 10% cheaper than the local places. If I have too much, I'll reroof the front porch so it all matches well. If I have even more still....? Well, I do need to build a shed and a pavilion in the backyard. I guess they'll have steel roofs too. I do have the leftovers from tearing down part of my house as well. The newer version goes up so much easier that I'd rather not use the old stuff over the kitchen like I was planning to.

Got the drone up in the few minutes without rain today.
    dji_fly_20220925_175406_378_1664142855693_photo_optimized (resized).jpgdji_fly_20220925_175406_378_1664142855693_photo_optimized (resized).jpg

#390 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

Looks great, making good progress before winter gets here

As long as we don't get another October 13th start to winter like we did in 2006. That's just sitting in the back of my mind.

#391 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

That's the tricky thing. If you don't order enough, you're waiting 2-3 weeks for a delivery. If you order too much, you have extra. I bought it out of state and avoided sales tax, which is 8.75% in my case, and it was about 10% cheaper than the local places. If I have too much, I'll reroof the front porch so it all matches well. If I have even more still....? Well, I do need to build a shed and a pavilion in the backyard. I guess they'll have steel roofs too. I do have the leftovers from tearing down part of my house as well. The newer version goes up so much easier that I'd rather not use the old stuff over the kitchen like I was planning to.
    Got the drone up in the few minutes without rain today.
    [quoted image]

Yes understand I would do the samething I always shop around for the very best deal and I must say your place is looking great nice job keep up the nice work

1 week later
    #392 1 year ago

Garage was finally poured this weekend. No more slogging through stone on a daily basis.

#393 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Garage was finally poured this weekend.

Looks good - surprised they used a buggy, seems like enough room to back the truck up and use the trough on the truck with an extender. No power troweling either?

#394 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Looks good - surprised they used a buggy, seems like enough room to back the truck up and use the trough on the truck with an extender. No power troweling either?

He could have gotten close with the chute, but with the angle of the driveway and container, it would have been tricky with the pillars between door openings.

He had the power trowel ready to go, but the smoothness that I wanted in the garage, he achieved by hand. My old garage was too smooth. I had slipped a few times and I didn't want that to happen here. He referred to the smoothness that I liked as "fuzzy". No chance of slipping and smooth enough for me.

#395 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Garage was finally poured this weekend. No more slogging through stone on a daily basis.

How are you finding the level of the pour? I discovered this weekend that I have at least a 2” drop over 13 feet in the new space which is making it a nightmare to level my games

#396 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

How are you finding the level of the pour? I discovered this weekend that I have at least a 2” drop over 13 feet in the new space which is making it a nightmare to level my games

The floor in the garage is sloped about 1/4" per foot, so it's at least 4" from front to back of the garage. That's not far from yours. This is the same guy that did my basement too. Down there, there are a few low spots that are maybe 3/16" low at the most, but the floor was poured completely flat. I'm confident that the garage will be similar.

#397 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

The floor in the garage is sloped about 1/4" per foot, so it's at least 4" from front to back of the garage. That's not far from yours. This is the same guy that did my basement too. Down there, there are a few low spots that are maybe 3/16" low at the most, but the floor was poured completely flat. I'm confident that the garage will be similar.

Garage slope makes sense, so you have good drainage away from the interior. Mine is the basement so I am not expecting too much water! (not to mention it should be draining toward the sump pit at least!). Another lesson learned to check - I never did concrete so it didn’t cross my mind

#398 1 year ago

So how is the roof coming along? Anymore progress there? Are the metal shingles easier or harder to work with?

#399 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I really like the time lapse video. How exactly did you do that?

Gord

#400 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Garage slope makes sense, so you have good drainage away from the interior. Mine is the basement so I am not expecting too much water! (not to mention it should be draining toward the sump pit at least!). Another lesson learned to check - I never did concrete so it didn’t cross my mind

The slope in my existing basement is nasty. It varies greatly and my entire workshop has shims under the feet. My lathe has one foot blocked up 3 inches. It's about 6' from the sump.

There are 825 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-out-a-game-room/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.