Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 825 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by yaksplat
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20240409102255 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-25-20-11-01-31_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081020 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240409102332 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408085147 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408085056 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084329 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084821 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084043 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408082444 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081024 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081030 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240406130804 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240406125907 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240224124400 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240219121230 (resized).jpg
    There are 825 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 17.
    #201 2 years ago

Nice. I use Home Designer Pro at home, consistently dreaming up expansion plans for the basement (threads like this don't help that compulsion - Ha!), I haven't been behind the wheel of AutoCad in years. Sketchup's 3d Warehouse has some pinballs that I have used in 3ds file format that I think you can import into Revit.

basement16feb10 (resized).jpgbasement16feb10 (resized).jpg
    #202 2 years ago

I used sketchup to brainstorm our basement layout as well. Happened to have a weird 16 inch "alcove" in one part of the basement that fits the head of ~4 pinball machines perfectly.

Sketchup has a bit of a learning curve (like everything else) but for being free and web based, it's pretty great. Used it for our son's nursery remodel too (mostly just to visualize how board/batten would look in there.

basement (resized).pngbasement (resized).pngnursery (resized).pngnursery (resized).png
    #203 2 years ago

Okay, this is fun. There are a ton of machines already modeled over at https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search/?q=pinball

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #204 2 years ago

I may have missed it but, what are you doing for insulation, hvac , sump pump/ back up system and preventing sewer back up? I’m super close so let me know when I can stop by!

#205 2 years ago
    Quoted from mollyspub:

I may have missed it but, what are you doing for insulation, hvac , sump pump/ back up system and preventing sewer back up? I’m super close so let me know when I can stop by!

Basement insulation is Rockwool R-15. I'm going to have a minisplit for the home theater. But the basement is going to be a separate zone for the furnace. There are two sumps, one on each side of the basement. I'll have a water backup on each as well. I've never heard of sewer backups around here, but that would affect the other basement if it happened and not this one.

#206 2 years ago

Here's the dream...

Only 4 and a half hours of rendering time

1 month later
    #207 2 years ago

It was pointed out that I haven't made an update in a month. So, here goes...

We're stuck in a cycle of 37º rain and a warm day a week. Spring in Buffalo sucks. They put this boom out in the lake every fall to prevent ice from going into the water intakes in the power plant at Niagara Falls. Unfortunately, there's a side effect where our spring gets delayed due to the ice on the lake just sitting there. It keeps us cold, way longer than we should.

As soon as this stupid weather breaks, I'll be ready to build some walls. But in the meantime, I've been creating attachment points on the house where the addition walls will be nailed to, grinding and cutting concrete to square up the crap foundation walls, and trying to figure out how many loads of stone that I need in the garage. I think it's another 40-60 tons. Pocket door hardware was ordered. I found that there's such a thing as a soft close pocket door. No more slamming. Guard rails are up around all openings in the deck to stave off any potential near death experiences.

Positive note. Lumber is coming down from its latest soaring.

I still have to figure out the trench drain hardware in the garage bays. If i can get this all figured out, I'll get the garage poured in the next month or so.

Not a lot of exciting stuff right now. Feels more like just pushing paper around than anything.

#208 2 years ago

Incredible project!

#209 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

They put this boom out in the lake every fall to prevent ice from going into the water intakes in the power plant at Niagara Falls. Unfortunately, there's a side effect where our spring gets delayed due to the ice on the lake just sitting there. It keeps us cold, way longer than we should.

This is wild; would never have considered the implications of holding back ice like that.

#210 2 years ago

Looking forward to seeing construction pictures. Wood is a roller coaster here. 7/16 4X8 zipboard - was $55 last week, $64 this week, and it might be down next week. And has been nowhere near the pre-Covid pricing under $20. I balked at $35 a sheet last year, regret that.

#211 2 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Looking forward to seeing construction pictures. Wood is a roller coaster here. 7/16 4X8 zipboard - was $55 last week, $64 this week, and it might be down next week. And has been nowhere near the pre-Covid pricing under $20. I balked at $35 a sheet last year, regret that.

I bought all of the lumber for my walls back in November. It turned out that was the lowest price possible. Zip was $34/sheet and you can get it now for $65. The prices that we're seeing now is for the peak in February. It has only come down since, so we should see at least a 33% drop in the next couple months. I have 200 sheets of 1/2" zip to buy for the roof and a shit ton of 2x10's. So I could really use a price drop. My guess is that i have another $35k in lumber to buy.

#212 2 years ago

That is good to know - I have a bunch of zip and 2x6 to buy soon - I will pounce on any decent price drop.

#213 2 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

That is good to know - I have a bunch of zip and 2x6 to buy soon - I will pounce on any decent price drop.

Here's 11/16 pricing:

#214 2 years ago

The weather is not as cold in my neck of the woods but the rain is making any outside work an issue. You can't walk in yards and not sink 1/2 to 3/4 inch. New job sites good for sticking in mud that's it. Never seen zip board used for roof work around here. They use 1/2 osb if nobody looking. Years ago the carpenter crew fussed like sissys because i made them do 1 inch tongue and groove here seeing i can't get 1x8 fur like it was back in the 1950's. The inspector was happy and so was to. As the gutter cleaner,fixer,etc when on roof i'm not falling through.

Glad to see you doing what you can. I'm sure you are chomping to get going again but weather and material can't be controlled.

1 week later
    #215 1 year ago

Hey, I built a wall. Kinda pathetic that this is an actual update, but it's progress. I decided that this is a learning construction site. I've got my 16 year old measuring, marking plates and building door frames. Framing nailer spooked him a bit at first, but he embraced it. I filled him in on the 43 ways that it'll kill you.

IMG20220422195416 (resized).jpgIMG20220422195416 (resized).jpg
    #216 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Hey, I built a wall.

Great to see progress! 2X6 construction - required or preference? Also looks like a pretty big beam pocket on the left?

#217 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Great to see progress! 2X6 construction - required or preference? Also looks like a pretty big beam pocket on the left?

2x6 are required in most places on outside walls for larger insulation.

#218 1 year ago
    Quoted from pincoin:

2x6 are required in most places on outside walls for larger insulation.

I don't think it is required by IBC, though I agree it is the extra insulation that has lead many municipalities and states to adopt it. Using 2X6s, you can generally frame 24" on center instead 16" (which also increases the insulation). This looked like 16" on center (hard to tell) so that is why I am curious what the requirement is. I am framing a garage (unheated) 2X6, 16" on center primarily for bearing strength for the 2nd floor which is clear span trusses 24 feet resting on the outside walls.

#219 1 year ago

Local requirement is 16" on center and 2x4. I wanted the extra insulation. 2x6 will give an r-23 vs r-15 with a 2x4 wall using rock wool.

That beam pocket is for a 6.5" wide beam. I like to give a touch of extra space. There's also a wall going to the backside so it's acting as an inside corner as well.

#220 1 year ago

Finally vertical. Huge day. This is the first time that I've built new on to existing and I tell ya, it's a pain in the ass. New house? Piece of cake in comparison. The house connections make everything more difficult and then worrying about water leaking in from weather. Hopefully a lot more updates from here out.

IMG20220423180824 (resized).jpgIMG20220423180824 (resized).jpgIMG20220423195018 (resized).jpgIMG20220423195018 (resized).jpg
    #221 1 year ago

"Building on" is when you find out that your existing house is mostly 89-degree angles.

Congrats on getting vertical - that _is_ a big day!

#222 1 year ago

Its moving again. Nice progress for you. Good to teach the next generation something they can use. That 1st few walls may not seem like much to but it takes you and the tools to get back in to the swing. long as it stays working weather your get rolling again.

#223 1 year ago
    Quoted from JWJr:

"Building on" is when you find out that your existing house is mostly 89-degree angles.
    Congrats on getting vertical - that is_ a big day!

I'd be thrilled with 89º and 91º angles.

This is more, hey, why is that piece of the garage foundation 3 inches that way. Then beam locations are changing. Thank god I know AutoCAD and have a dwg file so i can change anything on the fly to match the foundation. It's still a huge pain in the ass. Something that should take 1 day, takes a day and a half with all of the extra measuring.

#224 1 year ago

We've found the answer to the question, "How much wall can two people lift"

The answer is, a wall that has the equivalent of 36, 10' 2x6 studs. It's the one with the door and beam pocket. I think we were within 50# of not being able to get that one vertical.
    IMG20220426082010 (resized).jpgIMG20220426082010 (resized).jpg

We also deployed what we're now referring to as "Asshole shields". They keep the moron gaze at bay.
    IMG20220425181503 (resized).jpgIMG20220425181503 (resized).jpg

We can still see the crappy pool and deck, but one more shield should do the trick.

This is the first time that I've ever used Zip, but if it keeps me from having to mess around with Tyvek, which I absolutely hate, I'll call it a win.
    IMG20220426081811 (resized).jpgIMG20220426081811 (resized).jpg

As soon as that wall went up, a storm blew in and we had gusts to 30mph and 3/4" of rain. The temperature yesterday was over 70 and now it's in the 40's with snow in the forecast for tomorrow. The rest of the week looks decent though, so hopefully the rest of the shields can be deployed.

And BTW, holy crap 10' walls are high up. The space is starting to feel absolutely massive. That front area is the shop where the pinball surgery takes place.

#225 1 year ago

Nice update! Looking good!

#226 1 year ago

Stupid spring in western NY. 72 hours from 80 degrees to this. I've never cooled sunburn with fresh snow before....

Screenshot_2022-04-27-09-48-43-52_c722f61f790e99e8e2542f6c7087a0aa (resized).jpgScreenshot_2022-04-27-09-48-43-52_c722f61f790e99e8e2542f6c7087a0aa (resized).jpg
    #227 1 year ago

Stupid weather for sure. Nevertheless, by NY city standards, your game room is usable now:

SnowBall (resized).jpgSnowBall (resized).jpg
    #228 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Stupid spring in western NY. 72 hours from 80 degrees to this. I've never cooled sunburn with fresh snow before....
    [quoted image]

That’s one hell of an addition.

#229 1 year ago

Where’s the garage?

#230 1 year ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

Where’s the garage?

Out in front of the walls that i've built. Garage is in blue, completed walls in red.

#231 1 year ago

I may have to raise my camera up. The walls are blocking the action.
    G3 Bullet - 5-1-2022, 5.20.09pm (resized).jpgG3 Bullet - 5-1-2022, 5.20.09pm (resized).jpg

This was one of the heaviest walls I've ever built, which is why there's no sheeting on it. We lifted it in two pieces if you look at the plate separations. I didn't feel like adding another 100+ pounds to each lift.
    IMG20220501154649 (resized).jpgIMG20220501154649 (resized).jpg

#232 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I may have to raise my camera up. The walls are blocking the action.
    [quoted image]
    This was one of the heaviest walls I've ever built, which is why there's no sheeting on it. We lifted it in two pieces if you look at the plate separations. I didn't feel like adding another 100+ pounds to each lift.
    [quoted image]

100lbs? Hit the gym old man

#233 1 year ago

All joking aside; progress looks great!

#234 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

[quoted image]

I know this feeling well, just on the other side of the lake from you... progress is looking great! Thanks for the updates.

#235 1 year ago

Looking like you got in the swing. Nice Sounds like titanpenguin wants to help with that wet lumber and show you how it's done.

#236 1 year ago

Rule one when having people help you lift walls. Don't kill them. Make sure they say, "Hey, that wasn't too bad." Then they have no problem coming back. My main wall lifting help is my wife, 16 year old son, and a couple of neighbors in their early 50's. I'm limiting walls to about 16'.

I'm not looking forward to the 12' high wall with a 12' window and transom in it. I may end up using the forks on my loader with chain hoists for that one.

#237 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Rule one when having people help you lift walls. Don't kill them. Make sure they say, "Hey, that wasn't too bad." Then they have no problem coming back. My main wall lifting help is my wife, 16 year old son, and a couple of neighbors in their early 50's. I'm limiting walls to about 16'.
    I'm not looking forward to the 12' high wall with a 12' window and transom in it. I may end up using the forks on my loader with chain hoists for that one.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

So very true. Lift smarter, not harder is the way.

#238 1 year ago

Got my ass handed to me by covid this week. Fortunately, the weather was crap, so I didn't miss much. Hopefully I can get back out there tomorrow or Saturday and get some work done. In the mean time, I only have enough energy to fly a drone.

dji_export_1651766815176 (resized).jpgdji_export_1651766815176 (resized).jpg
    #239 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Got my ass handed to me by covid this week. Fortunately, the weather was crap, so I didn't miss much. Hopefully I can get back out there tomorrow or Saturday and get some work done. In the mean time, I only have enough energy to fly a drone.[quoted image]

Kind of looks like your neighbor's pool has COVID, tbh.

#240 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Got my ass handed to me by covid this week. Fortunately, the weather was crap, so I didn't miss much. Hopefully I can get back out there tomorrow or Saturday and get some work done. In the mean time, I only have enough energy to fly a drone.[quoted image]

I take it...there is no windows on that side of the addition? Even the second floor?

Nice putting green though!

#241 1 year ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

Kind of looks like your neighbor's pool has COVID, tbh.

That's some nasty shit, huh? The guy was crawling under his deck yesterday, trying to get a glimpse of us standing on the deck. Dude's a psycho.

#242 1 year ago
    Quoted from RobW:

I take it...there is no windows on that side of the addition? Even the second floor?
    Nice putting green though!

No windows and no doors. It's only a single story addition. I wanted more basement space than living space. There will be two condensers, a mini split, a trailer, dryer vent and nothing more. We had plans for nice shrubs and flowers and a couple of small windows. But since the guy has been such a douche canoe, he gets nothing but mechanicals. That wall will likely be sided last, so he gets green zip for the next 12 months.

Putting green is owned by some awesome people. They've brought beer out after a long hot day of work.

#243 1 year ago

Looks like you are more than doubling the size of your home impressive

#244 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jmckune:

Looks like you are more than doubling the size of your home impressive

Thanks.

Started with 1884, removed 451 and adding 1796.5. But 634 of that isn't living space. So really, we're going from 1884 to 3229.5, or adding 71%. But according to the town, we didn't remove 451 sqft, but we're reconditioning it.

That's their math, so it's the only math that counts since it determines the taxes that I'll be paying.

#245 1 year ago

I could never do that where I live, you have to be 30 feet from the property line for any structure. This past fall we replaced our old Mini Split with a Fujitsu low temp unit Mini Split. We were skeptical that this unit would keep our house warm during those PA cold winter days and nights but the dealer assured us it would. I was very pleasantly surprised, it did keep the house warm, not coal stove warm but I can live with it. Good luck with the build.

#246 1 year ago

In my town we're required to have at least the lesser of 25' or 25% of the width of the lot total in space between the foundation and lot lines on either side if the house. My lot is 115' wide and I have 10'-1" on the other side, so I needed at least 14'-11" on this side. I do think i have a couple inches to spare though.

The setbacks were difficult to deal with. I'm on a cul de sac and so the setbacks are measured from the center of the circle. So out front yard setback is an arc. This is why the first bay of the garage is pushed in a foot. The red line dictates how far we could build.

#247 1 year ago

Covid lasted from Monday to Saturday. Energy and sense of taste returned on Sunday.

When lifting really heavy walls, always have kids with saw horses ready. This one was beefy and didn't go up on the first try. The bottom kicked out and I stupidly didn't have a kicker in place. We dropped the wall back down on the horses and regrouped. It was still heavy as hell, but it went up.

#248 1 year ago

The wall I've been worrying about has finally gone up. This one is 12' high and 22' long with an LVL beam and a 2x10 spreader between the window and transom. The two of those weigh about 300 pounds and are high up on the wall, which would have made this a brutal lift. For a rough opening over 12', even by a few inches, code says that you must have 6 full studs on either side of the header. I decided to lift this one with the loader. It's finally dry enough to not make a complete mess. I hooked the straps from the forks to the header and just lifted slowly, watching both of the kickers at the bottom of the wall. As long as those didn't move, everything would go up smoothly. It worked out fantastically.

#249 1 year ago

Getting closer to roofing! Are you stick framing rafters or using trusses or maybe a combination? I rented a crane for three timber frame trusses at the back of the house - best $500 spent (this was 20 years ago) on the job.

#250 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Getting closer to roofing! Are you stick framing rafters or using trusses or maybe a combination? I rented a crane for three timber frame trusses at the back of the house - best $500 spent (this was 20 years ago) on the job.

I'll be stick framing the rafters. It's not a horrible roof, but there will be a ton of wood up there. I tried to limit the rafters to 20' where i could sister them together over a short wall, mid-span. As long as everything is square, you cut one and repeat 60 times. I haven't done a hip roof in a while, so that should be some fun.

There are 825 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-out-a-game-room/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.