Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 825 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by yaksplat
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20240409102255 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-25-20-11-01-31_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081020 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240409102332 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408085147 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408085056 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084329 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084821 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084043 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408082444 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081024 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081030 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240406130804 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240406125907 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240224124400 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240219121230 (resized).jpg
    There are 825 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 17.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pindulgant:

I thought the same about doubling up the pool table area as circulation. If I had the space I’d try to squeeze the rooms to the sides and have pins and the pool table down the middle. The gym could be a room or just the space at the end of the row, or it could be adjacent to the bar either separated or combined. If not divided you can rearrange depending on how you use the spaces. You could also divide between the open bar and the pins as much or as little as you want...
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

How would you get into that storage area? You’re missing a door

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Where is the bathroom?
    A nearby bathroom is crucial imo.

Lower right corner under the stairs.

1 month later
    #53 2 years ago

Well, it's certainly underway...
    20210727155515 (resized).jpg20210727155515 (resized).jpg
    Portions of the existing house have been torn down. I'm in the process of underpinning the existing foundation so the new foundation can be 3' deeper and butt up against the existing foundation.

IMG_20210726_180113 (resized).jpgIMG_20210726_180113 (resized).jpg
    It has to be done in sections so nothing collapses. 3' at a time and 6' from the nearest unsupported section.

Starting point, for reference:
    20210518120005 (resized).jpg20210518120005 (resized).jpg

#54 2 years ago

Some project you have going on and looks to be an awesome set up. Good luck going forward, I just moved from NY the land of basements to Florida no basements and built an outbuilding for a bar/mancave

2 weeks later
    #55 2 years ago

So after the rainiest July ever here (10+" of rain), we're finally pouring the last sections of underpinning. We're done slogging around in mud and pumping out the hole. The house is officially held up by my concrete. Digging out 12 yards of clay by hand has been one of the most exhausting thing I've ever done. Most of it was done with a rotary hammer with a 3" chisel bit on it. Each block, on average, is 2400 pounds of bagged concrete, mixed in the driveway then hauled down into the hole. I'll be glad to never do this again in my life.

IMG_20210812_173514 (resized).jpgIMG_20210812_173514 (resized).jpgIMG_20210813_100435 (resized).jpgIMG_20210813_100435 (resized).jpg
    #56 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

So after the rainiest July ever here (10+" of rain), we're finally pouring the last sections of underpinning. We're done slogging around in mud and pumping out the hole. The house is officially held up by my concrete. Digging out 12 yards of clay by hand has been one of the most exhausting thing I've ever done. Most of it was done with a rotary hammer with a 3" chisel bit on it. Each block, on average, is 2400 pounds of bagged concrete, mixed in the driveway then hauled down into the hole. I'll be glad to never do this again in my life.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats! That is a Scary feeling when the walls of your house are breached and mother nature calls. When we excavated the basement they recorded the heaviest rain fall in 40 years. We had 4 sump pumps running 24/7 just praying the power didn't go out. Those Skidsteers were just sinking into the earth like they were on jello. Not fun but you will Love the end result!!! Good luck with your dig.

IMG_3267 (resized).jpegIMG_3267 (resized).jpeg
    #57 2 years ago

I remember following your project, thinking, I can do that... So you were definitely an inspiration. Then there are the moments when you think, "I took a perfectly good house and I've really messed it up. This better turn out okay."

Just yesterday I found out that my engineered joists have a lead time of 7 weeks, even though it had been 2 weeks all summer long. So I had to make a design change So I could get framing in a few weeks and not mid October.

I should have the foundation dug out to the final dimensions and the footers poured next week.

#58 2 years ago

Sometimes the weather calls for about a renth of an inch and you get 1.25". Like last night.

IMG_20210814_082504 (resized).jpgIMG_20210814_082504 (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #59 2 years ago

Next step... The Dig

#60 2 years ago

Wow you removed a Lot of dirt. Amazing.

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Next step... The Dig

Damn! Now you’ve really got my interest.

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Wow you removed a Lot of dirt. Amazing.

64 truckloads. I had no idea how hard it is to find a site to dump the fill. I cold called every builder in the area until I had one that was close and could handle that quantity of fill. Then i had occasional people stopping by asking for loads of fill because they saw the trucks.

#63 2 years ago

What a huge undertaking. This is going to be an interesting thread to watch.

#64 2 years ago

The passion for this hobby is nothing short of incredible .

#65 2 years ago

Shoot - I just got a box of Comet lighting upgrades for 2 of my games, and I thought I was going "hard core"!

#66 2 years ago

Just found this thread, looks great! Looking forward to following along on the progress. One question, is part of this addition under the garage? looks like the old one went down in the beginning. Very ambitious project!

#67 2 years ago

No matter how big you make it, you will fill it up! Love watching these game room builds, I built mine five years ago and it's full already.

#68 2 years ago

Once I found out how much excavation cost where we are, it was a no-brainer. It’s expensive, sure, but add in the cost (for us) of storing half your house, plus not having to temperature control a liveable space year round… made total sense

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Once I found out how much excavation cost where we are, it was a no-brainer. It’s expensive, sure, but add in the cost (for us) of storing half your house, plus not having to temperature control a liveable space year round… made total sense

Excavation was $250/hr and trucking was $90/hr per truck.

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Just found this thread, looks great! Looking forward to following along on the progress. One question, is part of this addition under the garage? looks like the old one went down in the beginning. Very ambitious project!

Garage and the room behind it was completely ripped off of the house including the foundation. New foundation goes 3' deeper and is not under the garage, but in place of where part of the garage was. New garage is pushed forward to the limits of where i'd need a variance from the town. I do love hearing from the inspector, "We've never seen anything like this in the town."

I'm on the fence between terrified and excited. I just need to get a furnace in the basement before the snow starts flying.

#71 2 years ago

A guy I know went for a "buddy" ride in a hydroplane. Afterward he told me he felt delirious joy and sheer panic, all at once. I bet that's what you're feeling, huh?

Hydro (resized).jpegHydro (resized).jpeg
    #72 2 years ago

Right now I'm at the mercy of the company that's pouring the foundation. I don't like the feeling where I can't accomplish anything.

Once I'm framing and things are in my control again, I'll relax a bit. I know that I can work in any weather, so nothing will prevent progress on that front. I've saved all of my vacation time so I can spend it all at once to frame it all up as fast as possible.

#73 2 years ago

I hope things tumble your way. Getting exterior walls and roofing on will be a big landmark.

#74 2 years ago

Neighbor is pissed. Says he's suing the town for approving an addition that's going to affect him. Nothing ever goes smoothly.

Photo_6553608_DJI_8_jpg_4207635_0_2021831161420_photo_original (resized).jpgPhoto_6553608_DJI_8_jpg_4207635_0_2021831161420_photo_original (resized).jpg

#75 2 years ago

Whats his argument? Seems his lawsuit is with the town and not you so hopefully it doesn’t hold up progress

#76 2 years ago

Apparently some neighborhood covenant from '93 that says you can't have more than a two car garage. Although there are about a dozen houses with them. But according to the same covenant, you also can't have fences, sheds, pools that necessitate fences, commercial vehicles....

Likely a non issue, but still a headache.

I have footers being poured in about 13 hours, so i have some phone calls to make. Footers don't like winters that push the frostline down 36".

#77 2 years ago

"why do you need a house that big?"

See... you don't own pinball machines....

#78 2 years ago

Hope it all ends quickly and easily. Sounds like city/town ordinance should supersede the neighborhood covenant. Your neighbor may be opening a can of worms against themselves by suing the town. They may hope all their ducks are in order for their home.
    Did they at least approach you first. You know, being good neighbors and all…

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

But according to the same covenant, you also can't have fences, sheds, pools that necessitate fences, commercial vehicles....

I hope its the guy with the pool that is quoting the convenant - irony...

#80 2 years ago

I don't live in a neighborhood with an HOA, but we had to do a HUGE amount of paperwork (and taxe$$$) with the county I live in when we did our expansion last year. I went around to all the neighbors and informed them of what we were doing, showed the plans digging, concrete, etc. They all signed a letter of support. Everybody was cool with it, even our neighbors who constantly cut down our trees and pretend they didn't. Curious if this is required in other areas?

#81 2 years ago

"New York man with Van de Graaf generator holed up in construction project. Police in rubber suits surround house, call in electronics expert."

#82 2 years ago

I live not too far away..i think. Love the project can't wait to see how it comes out. You dont happen to frequent pocketeer do you? 80 pins under one roof. So - you ripped out a 2.5 car and presumably a family room (marrano home), and are adding a huge basement with..what on top of it?

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from tommyp:

I live not too far away..i think. Love the project can't wait to see how it comes out. You dont happen to frequent pocketeer do you? 80 pins under one roof. So - you ripped out a 2.5 car and presumably a family room (marrano home), and are adding a huge basement with..what on top of it?

I go there occasionally. But not in about a year.

It's a single floor addition only. Expanded kitchen, family room, first floor master, pantry, mud room, laundry and a shop.

#84 2 years ago

Footers are in.

#85 2 years ago

Wow that is going to be huge. Awesome stuff. Interesting they didn't opt to put in the footings for the center columns at this time but still time. Looking good congrats.

#86 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I don't live in a neighborhood with an HOA, but we had to do a HUGE amount of paperwork (and taxe$$$) with the county I live in when we did our expansion last year. I went around to all the neighbors and informed them of what we were doing, showed the plans digging, concrete, etc. They all signed a letter of support. Everybody was cool with it, even our neighbors who constantly cut down our trees and pretend they didn't. Curious if this is required in other areas?

I have no HOA here either, but still I had looped in all of the neighbors, as to what was going on, just so there'd be no surprises when the dig happened. Showed them plans, had paint on the ground showing the extents of everything. I had to pay about a thousand for the permit from the town, but that also certified that the plans meet code for the town and state.

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Wow that is going to be huge. Awesome stuff. Interesting they didn't opt to put in the footings for the center columns at this time but still time. Looking good congrats.

Those are there. See the blobs? They're poured in holes that are 36" x 36" x 8" deep, then come out of the ground another 4". There's 8 pieces of rebar in each one as well.

#88 2 years ago

What are you doing for a garage then?

#89 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I have no HOA here either, but still I had looped in all of the neighbors, as to what was going on, just so there'd be no surprises when the dig happened. Showed them plans, had paint on the ground showing the extents of everything. I had to pay about a thousand for the permit from the town, but that also certified that the plans meet code for the town and state.

Yeah you did your due diligence. You’re in the clear!

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from tommyp:

What are you doing for a garage then?

It's out in front of everything else. I currently have no garage.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).png
    #91 2 years ago

That looks pretty fantastic. I could use more garage space myself. In W. Seneca i need a variance if i dont leave 70% of my "green space" alone. Sounds as tho Lancaster is a bit easier goin

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from tommyp:

That looks pretty fantastic. I could use more garage space myself. In W. Seneca i need a variance if i dont leave 70% of my "green space" alone. Sounds as tho Lancaster is a bit easier goin

It's the same way here in Lancaster. You can't exceed 30% of the size of your lot. Fortunately i somehow ended up buying a house on a cul de sac that was on 2/3 acre. I could theoretically max out at 7260 sqft, but that tax bill would suck.

1 week later
    #93 2 years ago

Still waiting on basement walls. With everyone getting paid to not work, my concrete company has only one laborer. Supposedly, I'll have some foundation walls next week.

#94 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Still waiting on basement walls. With everyone getting paid to not work, my concrete company has only one laborer. Supposedly, I'll have some foundation walls next week.

Pretty sure the covid unemployment payments ended last week, so presuming the concrete company can FIND workers, you should start to see some progress soon.

#95 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Pretty sure the covid unemployment payments ended last week, so presuming the concrete company can FIND workers, you should start to see some progress soon.

They've been offering $19/hr with no skills to start now for weeks. $300 per week in unemployment is still plenty when you still don't have to pay rent in NY.

#96 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

They've been offering $19/hr with no skills to start now for weeks. $300 per week in unemployment is still plenty when you still don't have to pay rent in NY.

Crap, it's a different world now but I would have loved to make $19/hr when I was first starting out in construction!

#97 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Crap, it's a different world now but I would have loved to make $19/hr when I was first starting out in construction!

Same here. I think i made $5.75 and then got a raise to $6 in '99.

1 month later
    #98 2 years ago

Following! Loving the progress pictures and looking forward to seeing more.

There's just something special about seeing "Tiki Bar" in a CAD drawing.

#99 2 years ago

Finally poured the foundation yesterday. Framing starts with a load of lumber on Friday and beams should be getting ordered tomorrow.

DJI_0083 (resized).JPGDJI_0083 (resized).JPG
    #100 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Finally poured the foundation yesterday. Framing starts with a load of lumber on Friday and beams should be getting ordered tomorrow.

Excited to see the progress!

There are 825 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-out-a-game-room/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.