Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 825 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by yaksplat
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20240409102255 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-25-20-11-01-31_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081020 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240409102332 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408085147 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408085056 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084329 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084821 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084043 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408082444 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081024 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081030 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240406130804 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240406125907 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240224124400 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240219121230 (resized).jpg
    There are 825 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 17.
    #601 11 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

We're all hoping that my neighbor resigns his miserable existence here and just moves away.

I bet he'll go nutso when you have people over to play in the new gameroom and they all park on the street.

We have a nosy neighbor like that as well, since that side of the property isn't one I don't see, I let the bushes grow crazy wild there as I know it drives her nuts seeing it. She constantly calls to report people parking on the street there even though it's public street parking.

#602 11 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

You betcha. It's the second easiest way to vent an island. The easiest way is with air admittance valve. However, they can make sucking sounds and go bad and need replacing.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    There's no lack of cleanouts in my system. Almost too many, but there's no such thing. I'm prepared to never use them.
    The drywall was finished over the weekend. It looks fantastic. [quoted image]
    The beam that you see in the middle of the ceiling is the LVL sandwich. The ceiling height on either side differs by an inch or so. I'll end up boxing that out with wood to make it look like a full wooden beam and then you likely wouldn't notice the ceiling height difference.
    [quoted image]

I recall when finishing our basement, the plumber mentioned our vent (slightly different from yours, but same style) was called a 'wet vent'. i.e. not directly connected to a roof vent.

#603 11 months ago

Looks great! Nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

#604 11 months ago

Here just opened a book to explain a wet vent and loop vent. The dashed line on the loop vent where pen points to what called a re-vent nice to have but not need.

IMG_20230516_013349957 (resized).jpgIMG_20230516_013349957 (resized).jpg

IMG_20230516_014705434 (resized).jpgIMG_20230516_014705434 (resized).jpg
    #605 11 months ago

Ah... And this is why he asked me what the depth of my sink would be when he was installing it.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #606 11 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Ah... And this is why he asked me what the depth of my sink would be when he was installing it.[quoted image]

When we built the house, we didn't think far ahead enough to run pipes in the basement floor for the bar. When we decided to finish, water and a drain was nearby (in the ceiling) but not a vent. We used a sink ejector to get rid of the water, but I couldn't figure out how the plumber was going to easily vent. I remember looking at the floor joist above, thinking running to a vent was going to be a LOT of work. I assumed he'd use a admittance valve, but he was worried that the air intake would be inadequate due to the amount of air needed with the ejector pit. Hence, he used a wet vent - first I ever heard of it.

#607 11 months ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

When we built the house, we didn't think far ahead enough to run pipes in the basement floor for the bar. When we decided to finish, water and a drain was nearby (in the ceiling) but not a vent. We used a sink ejector to get rid of the water, but I couldn't figure out how the plumber was going to easily vent. I remember looking at the floor joist above, thinking running to a vent was going to be a LOT of work. I assumed he'd use a admittance valve, but he was worried that the air intake would be inadequate due to the amount of air needed with the ejector pit. Hence, he used a wet vent - first I ever heard of it.

I've got a vent all ready to go for the basement bathroom and bar. It was his idea to do it right away. It's also a separate dedicated vent in case it's not used for a long time and the traps dry out. When he'd ask how I'd want something run, I'd say, just do it like you would at your house.

#608 11 months ago

Minor update.

Primed, ceiling painted, and lights installed. This is the I need light mode. I'm doing things in this room and I want to see everything. It's bright, but that's how it's supposed to be. Later, when the pendants, under cabinet lighting and table light are installed, you get the ambiance lighting. Looks good but not too bright. I can always throw a dimmer on these.

IMG20230517201924 (resized).jpgIMG20230517201924 (resized).jpg

#609 11 months ago

And then this just slapped up in the face this morning. I had taken most of the film off the windows yesterday. Everything is so bright from the morning sun. That was the plan, but it was nice to actually see the plan become reality. No wonder my neighbor is pissed. I have a fantastic backyard.

IMG20230518080822 (resized).jpgIMG20230518080822 (resized).jpg

#610 11 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

And then this just slapped up in the face this morning. I had taken most of the film off the windows yesterday. Everything is so bright from the morning sun. That was the plan, but it was nice to actually see the plan become reality. No wonder my neighbor is pissed. I have a fantastic backyard.
    [quoted image]

This is my absolute favorite part of a build. I always see things out the windows I didn't expect. It's even more dramatic when someone else does the design, really good architects see things way ahead of time and it's this great surprise when you see it in person

Post photos of the under-cabinet lighting. I'm having trouble with that in our kitchen because we don't have a lot of wall cabinets

#611 11 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Minor update.
    Primed, ceiling painted, and lights installed. This is the I need light mode. I'm doing things in this room and I want to see everything. It's bright, but that's how it's supposed to be. Later, when the pendants, under cabinet lighting and table light are installed, you get the ambiance lighting. Looks good but not too bright. I can always throw a dimmer on these.
    [quoted image]

Did you notice your neighbor looking in your window?

IMG_7839 (resized).jpegIMG_7839 (resized).jpeg
    #612 11 months ago
    Quoted from Green-Machine:

Did you notice your neighbor looking in your window?
    [quoted image]

Your post reminded me of the angry grandpa simpson meme, old man yells at clouds, so I made my own version for angry neighbor lol.

neighbor (resized).jpgneighbor (resized).jpg

#613 11 months ago
    Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Your post reminded me of the angry grandpa simpson meme, old man yells at clouds, so I made my own version for angry neighbor lol.
    [quoted image]

I like yours better

1 week later
    #614 11 months ago

Still in the not super exciting realm.

We painted.
    IMG20230521100201 (resized).jpgIMG20230521100201 (resized).jpg
    I caught this little guy in my shop multiple times. There's a nest right outside the shop and an easy way in.
    IMG20230518105136 (resized).jpgIMG20230518105136 (resized).jpg
    I got rid of all the excess fill in the backyard. I was estimating that it would be about 60 yards or so, about 6-7 truckloads. Well, it turns out that once you start moving clay around, it unpacks quite a bit. I was hauling about 1.5 to 1.75 yards of clay per load, and 8 loads per truckload. I was off by about a factor of 3. I filled that truck 17 times. But finally, it was all gone.
    IMG20230527105705 (resized).jpgIMG20230527105705 (resized).jpg

Now, I want to finish using this loader and sell it off. The last main task with it is to grade the yard. I lost about 100 pines back in 2006 due to a freak October storm that dropped 2 feet of insanely heavy snow. It snapped all of the branches off of the trees. It took me about 3 years to fully recover from that. I had to cut down everything remaining in that area, haul it out to the street, pay to have someone remove the stumps then grade the area and finally put in drainage to handle all of the excess water. The thought of doing that again was not something i was looking forward to ever again.

Why am I bringing this up?
    These stupid pine trees are weak and they don't do that well, despite being native around here. I still have about 150 more, but there's a group in the back that has begun dying off.
    This was a few years ago and you can see the browning on one side. I figure it's only going to get worse in the next few years.
    IMG20230527124016 (resized).jpgIMG20230527124016 (resized).jpg
    I could wait, and repeat my 2006 performance, or preemptively take them out now, while i have the loader. So, the second that the last load of clay was gone, I got out the chainsaw and started taking down trees. 25, to be exact. The smallest was about 6" in diameter and the largest was about 18". This entire weekend was cutting, and hauling everything out to the curb. All while trying to not kill my cherry and apple trees. We had a couple trees fall the wrong way, despite being tied off. There were just too many branches on one side of the tree, in the opposite direction of where we wanted it to fall.
    Like this one. Huge notch and crazy rope tension.

I was prepared for that to go the wrong way, but was hoping that it wouldn't.
    IMG20230529183747 (resized).jpgIMG20230529183747 (resized).jpg
    IMG20230529160101 (resized).jpgIMG20230529160101 (resized).jpg
    dji_fly_20230529_155146_464_1685389915688_photo_optimized (resized).jpgdji_fly_20230529_155146_464_1685389915688_photo_optimized (resized).jpg
    Now it's on to removing the stumps with the loader and grading while the weather is nice. I'm trying to have a yard by our 4th of July party.

#615 11 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

We painted.
    [quoted image]
    I caught this little guy in my shop multiple times. There's a nest right outside the shop and an easy way in.
    [quoted image]
    I got rid of all the excess fill in the backyard. I was estimating that it would be about 60 yards or so, about 6-7 truckloads. Well, it turns out that once you start moving clay around, it unpacks quite a bit. I was hauling about 1.5 to 1.75 yards of clay per load, and 8 loads per truckload. I was off by about a factor of 3. I filled that truck 17 times. But finally, it was all gone.
    [quoted image]
    Now, I want to finish using this loader and sell it off. The last main task with it is to grade the yard. I lost about 100 pines back in 2006 due to a freak October storm that dropped 2 feet of insanely heavy snow. It snapped all of the branches off of the trees. It took me about 3 years to fully recover from that. I had to cut down everything remaining in that area, haul it out to the street, pay to have someone remove the stumps then grade the area and finally put in drainage to handle all of the excess water. The thought of doing that again was not something i was looking forward to ever again.
    These stupid pine trees are weak and they don't do that well, despite being native around here. I still have about 150 more, but there's a group in the back that has begun dying off.
    [quoted image]
    This was a few years ago and you can see the browning on one side. I figure it's only going to get worse in the next few years.
    [quoted image]
    I could wait, and repeat my 2006 performance, or preemptively take them out now, while i have the loader. So, the second that the last load of clay was gone, I got out the chainsaw and started taking down trees. 25, to be exact. The smallest was about 6" in diameter and the largest was about 18". This entire weekend was cutting, and hauling everything out to the curb. All while trying to not kill my cherry and apple trees. We had a couple trees fall the wrong way, despite being tied off. There were just too many branches on one side of the tree, in the opposite direction of where we wanted it to fall.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    Now it's on to removing the stumps with the loader and grading while the weather is nice. I'm trying to have a yard by our 4th of July party.

Seems exciting to me! Love following the progress!

Chris

#616 11 months ago

Wow, huge job. I have seven to remove and I am dreading it. Two storm damaged, one dead, one dropped too close to the garage, two to close to the house and one for thinning. Even with my tractor, ton of work.

However, I am sure pool guy doesn't like you messing up his view of the woods, so there's that.

#617 11 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

This is a crazy amount of work and you have been making great progress. Make sure to invite your whiny pool guy neighbor to your July 4th shindig.

LOL, just kidding on the invite to your neighbor.

Gord

#618 11 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

... The last main task with it is to grade the yard. I lost about 100 pines back in 2006 due to a freak October storm that dropped 2 feet of insanely heavy snow. It snapped all of the branches off of the trees...

10 years ago we had a derecho come thru and took down some big maples (and they took out more maples on the way down). Bought a chainsaw and got busy...that's one job that is seriously hard work. Definitely need to keep the chain sharp. I couldn't do it for a living.

#619 10 months ago

In love using a chainsaw. They're a blast, but it's absolutely exhausting work. I always file all the teeth before starting. Just a few swipes on each is good enough unless you hit something. I was borrowing a neighbor's saw. Turned out that the tension was way off and I didn't check first. The chain whipped off and beat up the backside of about 30 links. That set me back about an hour, filing all of the nicks off so it slides in the bar again.

Total time was about 26 hours to clear it all out down to stumps. We're having a bout of non-stop nice weather too. Nothing but mid 80's. I'm hoping to start ripping out stumps shortly.

Yesterday, I had a different neighbor approach me about the "Mess" and how long he'd have to look at it. Now this couple completely keeps to themselves and never make a peep. But they're also the type that cut the lawn, edge, trim, and work on the bushes on an exact schedule. Tuesday at 5:45, lawn cutting. Thursday at 3:15, trim the bushes....

I apologized and said that I appreciate you not screaming at my wife over this as others have done before, because I know you're a reasonable person and can understand that I'm doing everything that I can to take care of this as quickly as possible. But at this point, we're waiting on the town to clean it up, since this is what we pay them for.

Everyone like to get their 2 cents in.

#620 10 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

But at this point, we're waiting on the town to clean it up, since this is what we pay them for.
    Everyone like to get their 2 cents in.

Not an arborist, but based on the pics and your area, I would say Canker. It affects a lot of pines around here as well. Basically dies from the bottom up...

Wow your town does pickup of logs and branches and the like?!? That's unique but cool. We get a brush pickup once a year in the spring but your amount wouldn't qualify... I'd have to go rent a chipper and then figure out where to put the chips...

Project is looking amazing!

#621 10 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

We painted.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

What attachment on the skiddy do you use? I just use the 4’ forks and dig with them. You?

#622 10 months ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

Not an arborist, but based on the pics and your area, I would say Canker. It affects a lot of pines around here as well. Basically dies from the bottom up...
    Wow your town does pickup of logs and branches and the like?!? That's unique but cool. We get a brush pickup once a year in the spring but your amount wouldn't qualify... I'd have to go rent a chipper and then figure out where to put the chips...
    Project is looking amazing!

There's definitely a lot of pine trees that have canker around here. I'd assume that a good portion of these do as well. But there are also ants building into a couple trees, beetles and larva that are under the bark, which the woodpeckers love. There are arrays of holes all over the trunks from them.

The town does a lap around every street in the spring and fall and then after that it's on demand. But there's never been a limit that I'm aware of. Based on the town website:

Items that will be collected:

Tree branches – not to exceed 8 feet in length and 6 inches in diameter
    Twigs
    Leaves - NOT BAGGED
    Shrubs
    Tree and Shrub roots
    Logs
    These items will NOT be picked up if in bags, cans or any type of container.

The Highway Department picks up brush on almost a daily basis, year round and weather permitting. Branches are to be placed with ends pointing toward the street and piled as neatly as possible. Brush is usually picked up on a weekly basis by the Hi-lift. Please call the Highway Department at 683-3426 when brush is placed at the street.

No limits mentioned. Until they change it after this pick up.

#623 10 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

No limits mentioned. Until they change it after this pick up.

#624 10 months ago

Where I live, you would have plenty of people wanting your wood, you may even make a few bucks.

#625 10 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

In love using a chainsaw. They're a blast, but it's absolutely exhausting work. I always file all the teeth before starting. Just a few swipes on each is good enough unless you hit something. I was borrowing a neighbor's saw. Turned out that the tension was way off and I didn't check first. The chain whipped off and beat up the backside of about 30 links. That set me back about an hour, filing all of the nicks off so it slides in the bar again.
    Total time was about 26 hours to clear it all out down to stumps. We're having a bout of non-stop nice weather too. Nothing but mid 80's. I'm hoping to start ripping out stumps shortly...

After you cut down the trunk, go rent a stump grinder (you probably know that). Makes them disappear in short order.

#626 10 months ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

After you cut down the trunk, go rent a stump grinder (you probably know that). Makes them disappear in short order.

My guess is that he left them long so he can pull them...

#627 10 months ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

Where I live, you would have plenty of people wanting your wood, you may even make a few bucks.

Oh, they came. I posted it on the facebook page for the area. About 60% was gone before we filled it back up yesterday. But even more this time. It was actually the remainder of it.
    IMG20230530203402 (resized).jpgIMG20230530203402 (resized).jpg
    The last load was picked up at 7:30 this evening.

Quoted from Jazman:

My guess is that he left them long so he can pull them...

Dig, lift, push...
    IMG20230531193406 (resized).jpgIMG20230531193406 (resized).jpg

I'm not sure if it mattered or not, but i started in the back, away from the prevailing wind. My thought was that the other side might have heavier roots. I have no clue if that's a thing, but it couldn't hurt. The big ones were actually easier to pop out. The thin ones would snap at the bottom and then I'd have to dig. With the big ones, I'd dig a little around it if i could and then ram it. I'd catch the trunk about a foot down from the top and between two teeth on the bucket. I also did it with the windshield closed in case of splintering. A few hits and it would loosen enough where i could push it out. The additional 4' absolutely helped the torque at the roots.

I did 9 of the 25 in an hour and decided that was enough. Doing things like that in the loader absolutely beats the crap out of you.

Definitely a lot of roots.
    IMG20230531203659 (resized).jpgIMG20230531203659 (resized).jpg

#628 10 months ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

Where I live, you would have plenty of people wanting your wood

In my head, I believe that to be the case around here as well.

#629 10 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

In my head, I believe that to be the case around here as well.

IMG_6563.gifIMG_6563.gif
    #630 10 months ago

Fun weekend ripping out stumps, putting them out to the curb and finding another neighbor that's a psycho. I've lived here 18 years. Not a kind word ever from this guy. I've wandered over there a few times, just to make sure that nothing that I'm doing is bothering them. "Nope, I have bigger problems than anything you're doing." Was always the reply. Well, I guess that ends with stumps placed on my side of the circle, in the location the highway department told me, not 24 hours earlier. Apparently, the line is tree stumps. Then a gasket can be blown.

Maybe it was too hot this week? Street is clean. Branches and logs are all gone. Maybe he was beaten up by a stump at a young age? We may never know.

#631 10 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Fun weekend ripping out stumps, putting them out to the curb and finding another neighbor that's a psycho. I've lived here 18 years. Not a kind word ever from this guy. I've wandered over there a few times, just to make sure that nothing that I'm doing is bothering them. "Nope, I have bigger problems than anything you're doing." Was always the reply. Well, I guess that ends with stumps placed on my side of the circle, in the location the highway department told me, not 24 hours earlier. Apparently, the line is tree stumps. Then a gasket can be blown.

Maybe it was too hot this week? Street is clean. Branches and logs are all gone. Maybe he was beaten up by a stump at a young age? We may never know.

Heard lots of fucks and fuck you’s. Wtf was his beef?

#632 10 months ago

He was definitely pissed. Couldn’t catch the complaint tho

#633 10 months ago

“The city of good neighbors”

#634 10 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

In love using a chainsaw. They're a blast, but it's absolutely exhausting work. I always file all the teeth before starting. Just a few swipes on each is good enough unless you hit something.

I just got one of these a couple weeks back, and was happy with the outcome. It sharpens the tooth and the flat at the same time.

IMG_0197 (resized).jpegIMG_0197 (resized).jpeg
    #635 10 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Hmm, your neighbor was obviously not happy, too bad that closed captioning is not available for that YouTube video as it appeared to be an expletive filled tirade.

Gord

#636 10 months ago

His complaint was literally the stumps. I've never seen someone go from 0 to insane like that.

#637 10 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

His complaint was literally the stumps. I've never seen someone go from 0 to insane like that.

Have you had your water supply tested in your area? Seems to be a high ratio of assholes in a small area. WTF?

#638 10 months ago

So what did he want you to do with the stumps? They can't just 'disappear'.

#639 10 months ago

I enjoy this topic very much and is one of my all time favorites. But to be honest I wonder if I lived next door I would be so happy about it either.

After mostly finishing the site work, coming out of the ground and building that impressive extension the noise must have died down a bit and your neighbors felt that things were settling back to normal.

Then the tree removal noise extravaganza started. Possibly if you had finished the site prep work before extending the house you might not have pushed another neighbor over the cliff.

Just saying

Maybe once it’s all done and pinballs are all in place a neighborhood BBQ inviting everyone including the upset ones (they won’t come) should sort it out. Everyone loves Pinball and BBQ.

Still my favorite thread by a long way, learned a lot.

#640 10 months ago

It appears you are on the biggest lot in the cul-de-sac, maybe the whole neighborhood, and now one of the biggest if not the biggest house - and also out working hard on it all the time - Maybe these guys are tired of hearing about how they don't work hard enough at home

#641 10 months ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

I enjoy this topic very much and is one of my all time favorites. But to be honest I wonder if I lived next door I would be so happy about it either.
    After mostly finishing the site work, coming out of the ground and building that impressive extension the noise must have died down a bit and your neighbors felt that things were settling back to normal.
    Then the tree removal noise extravaganza started. Possibly if you had finished the site prep work before extending the house you might not have pushed another neighbors over the cliff.
    Just saying
    Maybe once it’s all done and pinballs are all in place a neighborhood BBQ inviting everyone including the upset ones (they won’t come) should sort it out. Everyone loves Pinball and BBQ.
    Still my favorite thread by a long way, learned a lot.

I was thinking the same thing. I understand he's making improvements on his house and the neighborhood will be better for it, but no way in hell would I want to live next door to a better than 2 year construction project.

#642 10 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I guess every neighborhood has that 'one guy' that is the official a-hole. And maybe your other neighbor is the vice-presidential a-hole.

#643 10 months ago

Yak, you have to see it from their POV how disruptive your awesome work has been. You are in home stretch now. Hopefully this will all be a long gone memory, maybe fond or maybe black it out

#644 10 months ago

You’re a patient man! I would have struggled dealing with someone speaking to me that way….. grrrr

#645 10 months ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

It appears you are on the biggest lot in the cul-de-sac, maybe the whole neighborhood, and now one of the biggest if not the biggest house - and also out working hard on it all the time - Maybe these guys are tired of hearing about how they don't work hard enough at home

I am the biggest lot in the neighborhood, with a lot of neighboring properties. Some see it and think they can dictate what goes on in it since it encompasses their entire view. I still won't be the largest house. There's a guy that did a lot more additions and has that title, but I likely have the largest footprint.

Land envy likes to tell me that she would have bought our house if she knew how cheap it was, and never would have touched the trees.
    OG insane is the original asshole. His life has been relegated to a shelf and he has severe envy. His wife is one of the worst humans I've ever met.
    Insane is the type that has a schedule for each task. Mow the lawn at 3:15 on tues, thurs, sat. Trim bushes at 4:25 on every blah blah blah
    Old Miserable Effer is someone that one of my neighbors that in his late 70's referred to as a "Complete Dick from Day 1".

In general we have a lot of great people around.

#646 10 months ago
    Quoted from Green-Machine:

You’re a patient man! I would have struggled dealing with someone speaking to me that way….. grrrr

I have the rage and temper of the Incredible Hulk. However, I've learned to control it, otherwise I'd likely be in prison.

#647 10 months ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I am the biggest lot in the neighborhood, with a lot of neighboring properties. Some see it and think they can dictate what goes on in it since it encompasses their entire view. I still won't be the largest house. There's a guy that did a lot more additions and has that title, but I likely have the largest footprint.
    [quoted image]
    Land envy likes to tell me that she would have bought our house if she knew how cheap it was, and never would have touched the trees.
    OG insane is the original asshole. His life has been relegated to a shelf and he has severe envy. His wife is one of the worst humans I've ever met.
    Insane is the type that has a schedule for each task. Mow the lawn at 3:15 on tues, thurs, sat. Trim bushes at 4:25 on every blah blah blah
    Old Miserable Effer is someone that one of my neighbors that in his late 70's referred to as a "Complete Dick from Day 1".
    In general we have a lot of great people around.

Your renovation project is awesome and epic. Enjoy reading the thread and progress. Should be amazing when completed.

Your post also makes me appreciate my neighbors even more. The only two that supposedly aren't nice just keep to them selves and the few interactions I've had with them have been pleasant.

Hope that things settle down once the dust settles and that maybe at least a couple of your neighbors come around and that relationship gets better. Seems that a few never will. Hope those can just keep to themselves.

#648 10 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Yak, you have to see it from their POV how disruptive your awesome work has been. You are in home stretch now. Hopefully this will all be a long gone memory, maybe fond or maybe black it out

So, according to the town, I can work from 7am to 10pm. During the week if I'm doing outside work I do thing from 4pm to exhaustion, which is before sunset except when I was roofing. That was a every second counts type of task. On the weekend, I don't start until about 11. I'm up at 8, make breakfast for everyone, relax a bit then start working. And I'll usually be done by 7. If someone mentions that they're having a party or people over, I'll make sure I stop early or do something else that isn't disruptive.

While this has all be going on, I've rewired lights in people's houses, cut down trees, fixed computers, plowed driveways, drawn up plans and given general construction advice. I know I'm generally an annoyance, but I try to offset that by helping everyone out that needs it.

I'll always look back on this as a fantastic memory that I'll always be proud of. Moving forward, I think it's great to know who the good people are and who the trash humans are. The ones that I've helped, never said thank you, and they've gone off the deep end since.

#649 10 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I was thinking the same thing. I understand he's making improvements on his house and the neighborhood will be better for it, but no way in hell would I want to live next door to a better than 2 year construction project.

So, looking at the fact that you have absolutely no control of the existence or duration of the project, what path would you choose? Would you try to get the project shut down and sue the town for approving it? Be endlessly miserable? Help with the progress? Support the neighbor, because you have no other skills?

2 years is still short term when looking at how long you live next to someone. No matter the choice, the physical outcome is the same. But you'd have an eternal label attached to you of how you chose to be during that time.

#650 10 months ago
    Quoted from slochar:

So what did he want you to do with the stumps? They can't just 'disappear'.

There are 825 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-out-a-game-room/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.