Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 825 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by yaksplat
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20240409102255 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-25-20-11-01-31_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081020 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240409102332 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408085147 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408085056 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084329 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084821 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408084043 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408082444 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081024 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240408081030 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240406130804 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240406125907 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240224124400 (resized).jpg
    IMG20240219121230 (resized).jpg
    There are 825 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.
    #451 1 year ago

It always surprises me how quickly construction goes and how slow the finish work goes. I remodeled our house five years ago and I still have projects to finish. It really drags on when you’re living in it!

#452 1 year ago

Havent chimed in here for awhile, hows the project going Yak? I noticed that you might have had a "little" snowfall recently

Jim

#453 1 year ago
    Quoted from bakerhillpins:

Go through the floor or the ceiling not the beam and save yourself a lot of PITA. Not sure if this even came to mind but you'd be surprised at how forest for the trees you can get when you start pulling wire surrounded by open walls.
    Pay attention to the floor joist directions to because you can take advantage of bay direction to save yourself a lot of drilling/pulling.

Here's the issue. Right below this is a quadruple lvl. You can only drill through the middle third of the middle third, which is unfortunately encompassed by most of the staircase opening.

To go through the ceiling would be an extra 25' of wire. That's why I just said screw it and drilled through.

#454 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

So that's a 100A sub off the main 200A panel for your house, which will power your whole addition which is bigger than the size of your existing house (roughly?)?

My main is only 150. Now here's the thing that I didn't realize. You get 150 amps off each leg, meaning that I actually have 300 amps. Worst case scenario and i'm not getting close to that. With natural gas here, the heat, hot water and stove are all gas.

Quoted from Mbecker:

Dang, that thing looks crammed full - was that the last breaker spot? Wondering if you don't need an upgraded svc... Did you have to submit an application to your utility or just local inspector?

I just ran two new breakers over there for each of the sumps, but yeah, that panel was full. To upgrade service I'd need new wires to the house. They're currently 2/0, and for 200A i would need 4/0. I'll wait for NY to mandate electric everything and give a credit for upgrading your service.

#455 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

My main is only 150.

Quoted from yaksplat:

To upgrade service I'd need new wires to the house. They're currently 2/0, and for 200A i would need 4/0.

Looks like you have underground service (I don't see any overhead wires in any of your pics). Do you have a transformer at the street? Sometimes utilities give rebates or free upgrades, especially since you seem to be less than 100 feet from their line I would think. Any such luck with you? When you start filling up that game room and have all your circuits on at the same time, I am sure you would appreciate the extra amps.

I went from 100 to 200 service and it required an extra transformer by the house because of the distance. They wanted me to pay the whole cost of an extra transformer, but it serves my neighbor as well, so I argued he should pay half if and when he upgrades. That cut my cost in half, it pays to push back a little. I have a 100 sub to the garage off it, geothermal and remote lines to the boat lift/shoreline and an outbuilding. Haven't had any issues with the 200 amp service so far.

#456 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

My main is only 150. Now here's the thing that I didn't realize. You get 150 amps off each leg, meaning that I actually have 300 amps. Worst case scenario and i'm not getting close to that. With natural gas here, the heat, hot water and stove are all gas.

I just ran two new breakers over there for each of the sumps, but yeah, that panel was full. To upgrade service I'd need new wires to the house. They're currently 2/0, and for 200A i would need 4/0. I'll wait for NY to mandate electric everything and give a credit for upgrading your service.

Just remember you dont "get" 150Amps. Its just what your equipment is protected at. You could have 150 15Amp breakers in there and it would work fine if each one only drew 1Amp each.

2 weeks later
    #457 1 year ago

Waiting for the snow pictures

#458 1 year ago

yaksplat I hope you and your family are ok and have survived this blizzard in relatively good terms with no loss personal or otherwise. Thoughts are with you and it looks like you are getting some warm weather this week which is welcomed I am sure.

#459 1 year ago

Ah.... The Blizzard. Last one that we had was in '85, and I wasn't around for the one in '77. Almost, but not quite.

It was pretty wicked. I've never experienced wind and snow that went on for days where you can't see the street, 50' away. There was no leaving to go anywhere, except walking over and delivering some christmas goodies to some of the neighbors. But even then it was brutal. We knew it was coming over a week ahead of time, so there was plenty of time to prepare, despite the number of people "caught off guard" by the storm and stuck in their cars.
    I bought plenty of snacks and beer.
    IMG20221222105607 (resized).jpgIMG20221222105607 (resized).jpg

What I wasn't ready for was the amount of snow that would be blowing in through the eaves. It was snowing inside the addition. IMG20221223152350 (resized).jpgIMG20221223152350 (resized).jpgIMG20221224150138 (resized).jpgIMG20221224150138 (resized).jpgIMG20221223152401 (resized).jpgIMG20221223152401 (resized).jpg We had a mad rush to clean up all of the tools and get them down in the basement, where my 150k btu torpedo heater was running non stop just to keep the basement at 55ºF.

Fortunately, I had a few batts of insulation that i could use to stuff the eaves on the garage and kitchen. Those were the main places the snow was coming in.
    IMG20221223152826 (resized).jpgIMG20221223152826 (resized).jpgIMG20221223152912 (resized).jpgIMG20221223152912 (resized).jpg

At one point, on piece blew in, and there was another 2" of snow in the garage around it. I don't have pictures, but there were plenty of areas in the addition where there were a couple of inches of snow on all of the ceiling joists. One of my garage door openers was acting really strange for a few days while it dried out. But it did recover.

Here's what you get from a blizzard. Areas of no snow and drifting. IMG20221224170528 (resized).jpgIMG20221224170528 (resized).jpg
    If you managed to get a 10' drift off the front of your house into your driveway, you had a ton of snow to move. For those that have never seen lake effect snow, this is what happens. A band of snow comes off the lake. It might be only a few miles wide and it starts dumping snow. The band will start wandering north and south based off of the wind, but they usually start south of me, wander to the north and then move back south in the evening. If it stalls, you get absolutely dumped on. You might get 5' of snow and then 5 miles north or south they have nothing.

I'm the blue dot and the band had wandered north at that point.
    Screenshot_2022-12-24-15-58-28-05_6b011ac80a759e7c1c3f1f2650cdf354 (resized).jpgScreenshot_2022-12-24-15-58-28-05_6b011ac80a759e7c1c3f1f2650cdf354 (resized).jpg

Skelly was not amused by all of this.
    IMG20221224003119 (resized).jpgIMG20221224003119 (resized).jpg

Overall, it was some snow for a few days which unfortunately occurred at Christmas when everyone wants to go visit each other. Honestly, I'll take the blizzard over the constant barrage of texts trying to reschedule everything.

#460 1 year ago

Glad to hear you and yours came out OK!

#461 1 year ago

Here's some actual progress while everything else was going on. I had talked to the electrical inspector to find out what he was actually going to be looking for in an inspection. He wanted to see all of the receptacles and switches with the wires stripped and ready for the devices. So that was a ton of work.

58 receptacles
    62 lights/fans/smoke detectors
    38 switches
    2000 feet of 14/2 wire
    1300 feet of 12/2 wire
    500 feet of 14/3 wire
    1300 staples
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Everything had to look like this:
    IMG20221226182126 (resized).jpgIMG20221226182126 (resized).jpgIMG20221228160135 (resized).jpgIMG20221228160135 (resized).jpgIMG20221228160227 (resized).jpgIMG20221228160227 (resized).jpg

I now understand why electricians are known as huge slobs on job sites. I had scraps everywhere and the kids got to clean everything up.
    IMG20221227173223 (resized).jpgIMG20221227173223 (resized).jpg

When doing this, there's no such thing as too much labelling. The more the better.
    IMG20221228160044 (resized).jpgIMG20221228160044 (resized).jpg

16 new circuits
    IMG20221229091530 (resized).jpgIMG20221229091530 (resized).jpgIMG20221229091559 (resized).jpgIMG20221229091559 (resized).jpg

And it was all inspected yesterday and passed. I had to move a couple staples, but that was it.

#462 1 year ago

Nice job - finished with all rough-ins now, or low voltage still to go?

#463 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Nice job - finished with all rough-ins now, or low voltage still to go?

I'm just going to run some conduit from the basement to the attic for the speaker wire and the ethernet cables. I can get everywhere that i need to go up there. But I'm still waiting for a furnace. That has to happen before insulation and the drywall, so I have time to work on some low voltage.

#464 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Here's some actual progress while everything else was going on. I had talked to the electrical inspector to find out what he was actually going to be looking for in an inspection. He wanted to see all of the receptacles and switches with the wires stripped and ready for the devices. So that was a ton of work.
    58 receptacles
    38 switches
    2000 feet of 14/2 wire
    1300 feet of 12/2 wire
    500 feet of 14/3 wire
    1300 staples
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
    I now understand why electricians are known as huge slobs on job sites. I had scraps everywhere and the kids got to clean everything up.
    [quoted image]
    When doing this, there's no such thing as too much labelling. The more the better.
    [quoted image]
    16 new circuits
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    And it was all inspected yesterday and passed. I had to move a couple staples, but that was it.

Holy crap, this is one hell of a large project. It looks like another 50-60 hour a week job on top of your regular job.

You have done a great job on this insanely huge addition to your home and it looks really nice.

Gord

#465 1 year ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

Holy crap, this is one hell of a large project. It looks like another 50-60 hour a week job on top of your regular job.
    You have done a great job on this insanely huge addition to your home and it looks really nice.
    Gord

Thanks for the kind words. On average I spend about 40 hours a week working on the addition. Longer on days off and weekends. Now that it's closed up, I don't have to worry about only being able to work when the sun is out. Although for the last week, spending 10 hours outside when it's about 10° hasn't been fun. I walk back inside absolutely frozen.

#466 1 year ago

There. Conduit. Well, 2" PVC pipe. A pair should be able to handle all of the speaker wire and Ethernet that I could need. I'll have to cap them for the fire caulking inspection tomorrow. I don't really understand that though. Capped for the inspection is fine, but then everyone knows full well that they'll be wide open later.

IMG20221229133932 (resized).jpgIMG20221229133932 (resized).jpg
    #467 1 year ago

So THAT’S where all the Oreos ended up.

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
    #468 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mank:

So THAT’S where all the Oreos ended up.
    [quoted image]

And now I see that the kids did not build the Oreo gingerbread houses that we were given....

Ugh...

#469 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

58 receptacles
    38 switches
    2000 feet of 14/2 wire
    1300 feet of 12/2 wire
    500 feet of 14/3 wire
    1300 staples
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    16 new circuits

Have you had inspection yet? I know every inspector is different and things are done differently in different parts of the country but you would have failed around here.

Your work looks nice and neat but one of the biggest mistakes homeowners make when doing there own wiring is not leaving enough "free conductors" at the boxes. Your wires have to extend 6" or more past the face of the box and all pigtails have to be 6" or more. This makes it easier to install your devices.

There's also a thing called box fill. You're only allowed so many wires in a box depending on the size for the box. A couple of yours look questionable. It takes a while to get used to it but "making up a box" gets to be a bit of an art.

#470 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Have you had inspection yet?

Quoted from yaksplat:

#471 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Have you had inspection yet? I know every inspector is different and things are done differently in different parts of the country but you would have failed around here.
    Your work looks nice and neat but one of the biggest mistakes homeowners make when doing there own wiring is not leaving enough "free conductors" at the boxes. Your wires have to extend 6" or more past the face of the box and all pigtails have to be 6" or more. This makes it easier to install your devices.
    There's also a thing called box fill. You're only allowed so many wires in a box depending on the size for the box. A couple of yours look questionable. It takes a while to get used to it but "making up a box" gets to be a bit of an art.

I've passed every inspection with flying colors. In fact, another just happened 5 minutes ago.

Every pigtail extends at least 6" from the box. I'm guessing that you're looking at the ground pigtails on the one picture. They are actually 6" out. Box fill calculations were done on each box. I did have to go grab a few deeper boxes to make sure each one met the requirements.

I'm in NY, the land of inspections, taxes and bureaucracy. Inspections here are no joke. Failed inspections are extremely common. Although I'm a homeowner/diy person, I'm also an engineer and I always do my homework and make sure that everything I do meets or exceeds code and is built as cleanly as possible.

#472 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Every pigtail extends at least 6" from the box.

I think you're misunderstanding the length requirement. The pigtails themselves have to be 6". It's the wires entering the boxes that have to extend 6" past the face of the box.

Makes no difference as long as the inspector you're dealing with is happy!

Carry on!

#473 1 year ago

I'm not an electrician, but my understanding was 6" from the entry point in the box? 3" from the face of boxes?

300-14 (resized).jpg300-14 (resized).jpg

#474 1 year ago
    Quoted from Brisket:

I'm not an electrician, but my understanding was 6" from the entry point in the box? 3" from the face of boxes?

Don't be like the bonehead that owned my house before me - all the boxes (which were metal 'handy' boxes, i.e. not permitted to be installed inside walls) the wires were terminated about an inch into the box, with pigtails attached to each one. Handy boxes are about an outlet's depth deep and are useless IMO.

What a PITA to work on though, and whomever did the work to replace the house wiring was lazy and there's junction boxes outside the wiring panel for all the circuits, and all of them were overstuffed. I found non-box enclosed splices in the attic as well. Needless to say I've corrected all this. I'm not an electrician either, but I can read. The picture you found is even clearer for this rule.

Somehow at my Mom's house the electrician replaced the main panel (old 40 amp fuses) with the new updated panel, which is mounted in front of a cellar window, not even on a piece of plywood. I have no idea how that passed inspection. The electrician was a hack anyway, all his box replacements require an oversized plate as he just hacked into the walls without marking or taking his time. It IS a 300 year old house, so I understand there's a lot of constraints on remodels due to materials, but still....

Don't even get me started on whatever plumber she had.

#475 1 year ago

Just because it occurs to me here Bryan.... what's your opinion on electrical tape on top of the wire nuts? I was always told not to do that, but a lot of people say to do it so the wire nut doesn't work itself off. I don't like it because the tape turns to goo over time and pukes all over the wires.

I never understood why people go cheap on stuff either, I mean, you can certainly buy outlets for 19 cents apiece, but they are such crap. When I moved from Allentown a buddy laughed his ass off at me because I took the outlets from the gameroom with me (I safed all the circuits, pulling the wires back out and disconnecting them from the circuit panel). I was like, hey, these were six bucks each!!!

#476 1 year ago
    Quoted from Brisket:

[quoted image]

Interesting. Is that a change made recently?

All inspectors I ever dealt with in MN, wanted it from the face of the box. I got so used to doing it that way, I'd find it a pain in the ass and time consuming to install a device if there was only 3" of wire.

#477 1 year ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Just because it occurs to me here Bryan.... what's your opinion on electrical tape on top of the wire nuts? I was always told not to do that, but a lot of people say to do it so the wire nut doesn't work itself off. I don't like it because the tape turns to goo over time and pukes all over the wires.

The ONLY time I saw tape on a wire nut was if a homeowner had done it. You'd never see a licensed electrician do that. There's no need to. Install the wire nut tight enough and it's not coming off.

#478 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Interesting. Is that a change made recently?
    All inspectors I ever dealt with in MN, wanted it from the face of the box. I got so used to doing it that way, I'd find it a pain in the ass and time consuming to install a device if there was only 3" of wire.

I like having more wire to deal with just for convenience. I don't mind deep boxes though so plenty of room to fold up the wires.

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

The ONLY time I saw tape on a wire nut was if a homeowner had done it. You'd never see a licensed electrician do that. There's no need to. Install the wire nut tight enough and it's not coming off.

Yep, that's what I said... my brother was pretty adamant about it but he's a machinist not an electrician so I don't favor his opinion on that matter. Lots of other people said the wire tape was ok that I polled at the time but I thought it was 100% amateurish. Then again, I also asked a couple of them what the purpose of the wire nut itself was and they all thought it was to twist the wires together, and they were dumbfounded when I said you're supposed to twist the wires together with the pliers before you put the wire nut on. I think my dad agreed with me on that one at least, but he was still in the wire tape camp.

Now that I'm thinking back on this, I think my brother had an electrical fire in his house about 10 years ago. Hmmm......

#479 1 year ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Then again, I also asked a couple of them what the purpose of the wire nut itself was and they all thought it was to twist the wires together, and they were dumbfounded when I said you're supposed to twist the wires together with the pliers before you put the wire nut on. I think my dad agreed with me on that one at least, but he was still in the wire tape camp.

I hate to derail the thread any more than it already is but I never pre-twisted the wires before installing the wire nut. No electrician I ever worked with did either.

Install a wire nut properly, then remove it and you'll see why it's not necessary.

#480 1 year ago

For anyone wanting to understand Box fill here's a great link with an explanation of eat step: https://www.omnicalculator.com/construction/box-fill

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Install a wire nut properly, then remove it and you'll see why it's not necessary.

Since copper is so soft, the threads dig right in. I still like twisting. I've never seen an electrician around here not twist. Could be a region thing.

Quoted from slochar:

what's your opinion on electrical tape on top of the wire nuts

I hate when that's done. I've only done it where required by the customer. Wire nuts only fall off when they're not put on properly.

Quoted from Brisket:

6" from the entry point in the box

That's how I interpreted the code as well.

Quoted from slochar:

Don't even get me started on whatever plumber she had.

I feel bad for homeowners that hire subs and don't really know what they're looking at. Shoddy work runs so rampant in the construction industry. I have a neighbor that has now spent 250k on a 400 sqft addition. But they know best and don't want to listen to anyone else. The first guy went from building decks to building additions. I watched him build a wall from across the street. One stud at a time, before the deck was on the joists. Each rafter was individually measured as well. The second guy they brought in was no better. If your guy buys tools the second he gets the first draw, you should fire him immediately. They've been working on that addition for 30 months now.

#481 1 year ago

Got a call yesterday at about 3pm, "We have an opening tomorrow to come out and do your insulation. I don't want to rush you, but are you ready?"

Rule one: When a sub calls and can get you in early, you always say yes.

Logistically I was ready. All inspections passed and the next step is insulation, but there's crap everywhere. Need to clean out the garage and everywhere the insulation is going.
    G4 Garage - 1-4-2023, 11.06.05pm (resized).jpgG4 Garage - 1-4-2023, 11.06.05pm (resized).jpg

All hands on deck. Wife, three kids and I, all hauling stuff down to the basement. 6 hours to get the garage cleared to one bay of easy things to move and the basement clear in the area where the ceiling is insulated.
    G4 Garage - 1-4-2023, 11.08.32pm (resized).jpgG4 Garage - 1-4-2023, 11.08.32pm (resized).jpgG4 Basement - 1-4-2023, 11.09.03pm (resized).jpgG4 Basement - 1-4-2023, 11.09.03pm (resized).jpg

IMG20230104082802 (Large) (resized).jpgIMG20230104082802 (Large) (resized).jpg

Turns out this is a 3 day job and we jumped the gun a bit by getting everything cleared out, or as easy to move as possible. But at least they could chug away, unimpeded.
    IMG20230104102815 (resized).jpgIMG20230104102815 (resized).jpg
    IMG20230104132811 (resized).jpgIMG20230104132811 (resized).jpg
    This ceiling has been a pain in the ass since i started framing it. One guy spent most of the day on it.
    IMG20230104192652 (resized).jpgIMG20230104192652 (resized).jpg

It's odd seeing rooms dark now. It's the first-time walls have been closed up. The two reapers still fit well in the laundry room
    IMG20230104192630 (resized).jpgIMG20230104192630 (resized).jpg

I asked them if they itch. I was told that you get used to it and don't feel it anymore. That's something I never want to get used to. Just seeing this made me cringe.
    IMG20230104151301 (resized).jpgIMG20230104151301 (resized).jpg

#482 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Got a call yesterday at about 3pm, "We have an opening tomorrow to come out and do your insulation. I don't want to rush you, but are you ready?"
    Rule one: When a sub calls and can get you in early, you always say yes.
    Logistically I was ready. All inspections passed and the next step is insulation, but there's crap everywhere. Need to clean out the garage and everywhere the insulation is going.
    [quoted image]
    All hands on deck. Wife, three kids and I, all hauling stuff down to the basement. 6 hours to get the garage cleared to one bay of easy things to move and the basement clear in the area where the ceiling is insulated.
    [quoted image]
    Turns out this is a 3 day job and we jumped the gun a bit by getting everything cleared out, or as easy to move as possible. But at least they could chug away, unimpeded.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    This ceiling has been a pain in the ass since i started framing it. One guy spent most of the day on it.
    [quoted image]
    It's odd seeing rooms dark now. It's the first-time walls have been closed up. The two reapers still fit well in the laundry room
    [quoted image]
    I asked them if they itch. I was told that you get used to it and don't feel it anymore. That's something I never want to get used to. Just seeing this made me cringe.
    [quoted image]

Insulation is made with MUCH tinier fibers than even about 15 years ago. I installed as a kid and usually wore gloves, but got exceptionally good at cold showers after a job (closes up your pores and ensures the fibers don’t stick). now I basically don’t even bother, it’s gotten so much better. Since Manville went out of business effectively, all competitors like RIS have a superior product.

#483 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Insulation is made with MUCH tinier fibers than even about 15 years ago. I installed as a kid and usually wore gloves, but got exceptionally good at cold showers after a job (closes up your pores and ensures the fibers don’t stick). now I basically don’t even bother, it’s gotten so much better. Since Manville went out of business effectively, all competitors like RIS have a superior product.

That's interesting about fiber size. I never thought about that.

The one guy was telling me that the old yellow stuff was the absolute worst. I pulled a bunch out during demolition, and it was horrible. Even with a Tyvek suit, gloves, and full mask with respirator, I still got fibers in me. I'm guessing they were just floating around and on everything.

I was always told hot showers to get the insulation off your skin. Open up the pores so the fibers pull out easier. But we can all agree the best way to get fiberglass out of your skin is to never have it there in the first place and hire the work out.

#484 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

the best way to get fiberglass out of your skin is to never have it there in the first place and hire the work out.

Key post!!

#485 1 year ago

Time to call that Drywall sub!

#486 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Time to call that Drywall sub!

He just ordered it yesterday for delivery next Tuesday. He's starting on Wednesday. That should take about 3 weeks.

#487 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

The one guy was telling me that the old yellow stuff was the absolute worst.

Johns Manville!

#488 1 year ago

Do the insulation guys put on the vapour barrier, or is that done by the dry wallers? Or is that something that you don’t do in your climate? I don’t see plastic around the outlets.

#489 1 year ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Do the insulation guys put on the vapour barrier, or is that done by the dry wallers? Or is that something that you don’t do in your climate? I don’t see plastic around the outlets.

They just did it on a few walls today. Any of the unfaced insulation on the exterior walls has a vapor barrier added.

#490 1 year ago

Going to foam the basement walls, then frame? Or just leave alone?

When we built, the builder did a skim coat on the 1st floor (ranch) for air leakage, then standard insulation between studs. R19, I think (6" walls).

#491 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Going to foam the basement walls, then frame? Or just leave alone?
    When we built, the builder did a skim coat on the 1st floor (ranch) for air leakage, then standard insulation between studs. R19, I think (6" walls).

hopefully it was r-15 because that 19 will be compressed 3/4 inch, definitely reducing its R value

#492 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

hopefully it was r-15 because that 19 will be compressed 3/4 inch, definitely reducing its R value

Pretty sure it was R-19, but I could be wrong.

#493 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Pretty sure it was R-19, but I could be wrong.

Either way, you effectively will get R-15. Still good!

#494 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Either way, you effectively will get R-15. Still good!

Just for the heck of it (I was curious), I did look up the R-19 batts (Mansfield), looks like 6.5", the R-15 is 3.5", So the R-19 sounds about right (right or wrong). Skim coat of foam was maybe a third of an inch. But I understand your comment about compressing and losing R value.

Maybe a little compressed - but still good. Heating bills aren't much and the house is comfy. I do think the foam skim coat is really beneficial.

If I build again, I think I'd look into using a ZipSystem or equivalent to get a thermal break between the framing and outside.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#495 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Just for the heck of it (I was curious), I did look up the R-19 batts (Mansfield), looks like 6.5", the R-15 is 3.5", So the R-19 sounds about right (right or wrong). Skim coat of foam was maybe a third of an inch. But I understand your comment about compressing and losing R value.

I used wet spray cellulose - 6" R value is 21

In the great room I have 10" SIP (structural insulated panel) over 2" Doug Fir planks (sitting on timber frame beams). The rest of the house I have either lose blown in celloluse (very small area at least 24" deep) or dense packed celloluse (vaulted ceiling, standard framing). Overall the house is very well insulated.

#496 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

I used wet spray cellulose - 6" R value is 21
    In the great room I have 10" SIP (structural insulated panel) over 2" Doug Fir planks (sitting on timber frame beams). The rest of the house I have either lose blown in celloluse (very small area at least 24" deep) or dense packed celloluse (vaulted ceiling, standard framing). Overall the house is very well insulated.

I think I might have mentioned somewhere in this thread, that when we built, I opted for better insulation and 6" walls, then combined that with a heat pump/gas forced air furnace. Not high-end systems, but middle of the road setups (but efficient numbers). Some of the neighbors went with geothermal (some closed, some open systems) but mostly 2x4 walls. I figured better insulation was passive (i.e. paid for once and done) as opposed to a more expensive geothermal. Oddly enough, the geothermal folks complain about high costs of heating - not sure what's up with that, our gas/electric bill is pretty cheap. I have the heat pump running down to about 40F, then the gas forced air kicks in. I could run the heat pump lower, but just not sure of the best crossover point.

Don't mean to stir the pot w/respect to the geothermal, there's so many other variables that can affect the monthly bill.

I'd definitely construct/insulate differently if we build again, especially the basement.

#497 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I figured better insulation was passive (i.e. paid for once and done) as opposed to a more expensive geothermal.</blockquote

At that time we also put in a geothermal system. All new walls were 2X6 with wet spray cellulose insulation, all windows low E and most of the window surface area is on the south side, with Deciduous trees blocking the summer sun and then dropping their leaves for winter solar gain.

My geothermal has been terrific performance wise, but I am sure it is the combination of good insulation, passive design and we are located in a very good area for geo with 58-60 degree ground temperatures. Still, like any heat pump, when the air temp gets down to 5 degrees or less, electric resistance backup kicks on to keep up with the load. However, the electric bill was only $250 last month (I heard of other all-electric systems in our area at $700 or more, and of course gas/propane were pretty high too).

#498 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Maybe a little compressed - but still good. Heating bills aren't much and the house is comfy. I do think the foam skim coat is really beneficial.
    If I build again, I think I'd look into using a ZipSystem or equivalent to get a thermal break between the framing and outside.
    [quoted image]

You’re fine - I was just clarifying that a 6” wall thickness isn’t actually 6 inches of actual void space, and any compression (like at all) of a fiberglass batt will compromise its R-value. It’s seriously not a big deal, I was just getting nerdy about the technicality.

#499 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You’re fine - I was just clarifying that a 6” wall thickness isn’t actually 6 inches of actual void space, and any compression (like at all) of a fiberglass batt will compromise its R-value. It’s seriously not a big deal, I was just getting nerdy about the technicality.

LOL, I wasn't worried. I recall seeing R-19 and was wondering if the brain cells were wearing out and it was really a R-15 roll in the walls, so I had to look it up.

Yeah, insulation can be one of those nerdy topics. But fun to talk about all the options.

#500 1 year ago

They're still chugging along with the insulation, so i though I'd take the thermal camera up into the attic and see how things look.

All of the colors are relative temperature. So if you get an extreme temperature in view, it skews the whole spectrum.

All looks good here. No heat coming through the blanket.
    img_thermal_1673272692993 (resized).jpgimg_thermal_1673272692993 (resized).jpg

Here's an area where the blanket is over the top, but not yet insulated between the ceiling joists. You can see the expected leakage.
    img_thermal_1673272667360 (resized).jpgimg_thermal_1673272667360 (resized).jpg

And here's a view of the side of the existing house from in the attic. It appears that I have an area where there was either no insulation, or it just sagged really bad. Seeing that it's a perfect rectangle, someone didn't do their job back in '93.
    img_thermal_1673272862972 (resized).jpgimg_thermal_1673272862972 (resized).jpg

There are 825 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-out-a-game-room/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.