(Topic ID: 10485)

Building my own pinball machine, a few Qs.

By GTech13

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

eos_flipper_wiring.gif
    x2013-01-18_16.57_.18_.jpg
    q1xlW7l[1].jpg
    lamp.jpg
    record_spinner.jpg
    DSC00051.JPG
    DSC00052.JPG
    DSC00053.JPG
    DSC00050.JPG
    IMAG0386.jpg
    takeone.jpg
    IMAG0276.jpg
    IMAG0264.jpg
    IMAG0272.jpg
    IMAG0244.jpg
    IMAG0245.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gstellenberg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from GTech13:

My first question is on voltage. There is an incredible amount of coil choices and everything is rated by gauge and turns. I was told 28V is standard but I would like to confirm that with the community.?

Most of the 'recent' (late 80's, 90's+) machines using 50V for coils. If you actually measure the voltage, you'll usually measure 70V on the 50V rail. I'm using a 70V power supply for my custom machine, and most of my customers are as well.

If you're going to scavenge a power/driver setup from an old machine, that will define what voltage to use. For instance, if you use a donor WPC machine, you'll likely want to use the WPC transformer and power/driver board. Subsequently, your coil voltages will be 50V (70V). The PDB driver boards that I designed and sell can take any DC voltage from 5V-90V; so you can decide what works best for you. If you want powerful flippers, you'll probably want to use at least 50V. If you're going for an older style machine with less powerful flippers, 30-40V might suffice.

My second question is on switching. The popbumpers and slingshots both have switches. Can these switches be used to directly operate the coil or are they solely for scoring and to tell the electronics to fire a transistor? If so, is there a standard "on time" to drive the coils?

Most fairly recent machines (80+?) wire the pop/sling switches to the CPU and let software decide when to pulse the associated coils. Besides giving software control of the coils (for test modes and such), it's nice to have software receive the switch events for scoring, etc. It's also nice to be able to disable the coils after tilts, and possibly at other times during a game.

With our P-ROC board, I'd recommend wiring all switches to the P-ROC and deciding in software when to activate the coils. This applies to the flippers too, where it's nice to disable them at various times (ie. high score entry).

My last question is on general DIY pinball. Is there a community location for DIY? There seems to be very little out there but, considering the complexity, it's no surprise. My machine will be a clone of the 3D Space Cadet Pinball game which use to come on Windows computers. Has anyone ever seen this done?
    Thanks

You're always welcome to drop by our forums (http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum). Even if you aren't going to use our boards (P-ROC and PDBs), our users are always interested in hearing about new projects and happy to help out when possible.

Good luck!
    - Gerry
    http://www.pinballcontrollers.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gstellenberg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-my-own-pinball-machine-a-few-qs?tu=gstellenberg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.