(Topic ID: 10485)

Building my own pinball machine, a few Qs.

By GTech13

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

eos_flipper_wiring.gif
    x2013-01-18_16.57_.18_.jpg
    q1xlW7l[1].jpg
    lamp.jpg
    record_spinner.jpg
    DSC00051.JPG
    DSC00052.JPG
    DSC00053.JPG
    DSC00050.JPG
    IMAG0386.jpg
    takeone.jpg
    IMAG0276.jpg
    IMAG0264.jpg
    IMAG0272.jpg
    IMAG0244.jpg
    IMAG0245.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyFliprFingrs.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 12 years ago

Building an entire pinball machine from a blank piece of paper is an enormous project, you might want to take an existing machine and modify the playfield, I'm assuming that's what you intend to do, buy a 300-400 dollar machine and build your playfield out of a slab of 3/4 inch plywood, drill and mount everything, its actually going to take you hundreds of hours, but I am not going to discourage you from your dream, do it, but please, for gosh sakes, buy two or three pinball machines and dissect them and study them before you undertake this. MPU issues are another can of worms for a custom machine.

Its kind of like saying you want to do some serious bondage and leather games with a chick when you haven't even been to first base.

Now, let me stop saying mean things to the newbie and think about this one, because I have thought about this one myself, actually.
    You could use a 199 dollar Ultimate MPU and pick one of the factory settings for the hundred or so machines stored on it that was the closest thing to the playfield of the virtual pin you like, namely the same number of pop bumpers, drop targets and slingshots, then wire the whole thing up.

would still take you hundreds of hours...
    but other than a custom MPU, I don't see any way to do it without starting your own custom pinball machine company, which might be kinda cool.

Which brings me to another point.
    If you are gonna go to this much trouble, why not design the entire playfield, you can using Visual Pinball, place the slingshots and drops and flippers wherever you want, create a table that plays well in the virtual world that's not too complex, then build the real thing, totally worth doing, because you designed every bit of it. And why not, if you are going to go to the trouble why not make it one hundred percent your design and build.

Welcome, new friend, I want to see you build a machine.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from NickVegas:

toyotaboy said:Don't bother with visual pinball, use future pinball. It's a true 3d envoirnment, and doesn't require all the plugins (fonts, roms) that visual pinball does.
    Unfortunately, Future Pinball is a dead platform. The developer recently castrated some of the best options, made the old version unplayable, and hasn't been updating it. Visual Pinball isn't nearly as pretty, but it's an open-source project that isn't going away so easily and should be updated into the future.
    I am also starting to build my own tables using VP and starting to code my own DMD as well. Let me know how the project goes. Can't wait to see it.
    Cheers,
    Nick

Visual Pinball is the way to go, the physics are good in my eyes, and I am working on my own tables with it as well. It can be frustrating, but really, its all we got. Before I build a real table I will perfect the ones I am working on, thats my plan, but please don't think i was trying to discourage you, the future of pinball depends on people like you -so definitely do it.

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from GTech13:

I measured a couple coils I purchased and read about 4-10ohms. (4 ohms for the 800 turn) 200 ohms seems high but I could be wrong. One was a kicker and one a popper. I know flippers have a low voltage hold and all other elements will only be pulsed but I have to design for worse case when a flipper press may occur at the same time as a popper or slingshot. This could ask the power supply for a very large albeit short amount of power. I am going to put my coils on an expensive machine at school tomorrow and get the exact resistance and inductance so I can plot some curves. Like I said, my research turns up next to nothing as far as building a machine from scratch. Plenty of repair information which has what I needed deeply hidden. Sometimes my ADD makes me go TLDR.
    Also: Maybe the coils I purchased are designed for older, lower voltage systems and modern coils are higher resistance, higher voltage, lower current. My samples are as follows: kicker/autoshooter: 23-800 slingshot: 26-1200 popbumper: 23-800 Everything is brand new from pinballlife.

"Like I said, my research turns up next to nothing as far as building a machine from scratch. Plenty of repair information which has what I needed deeply hidden. "

Reverse engineering works well with both flying saucers and pinball machines!

#19 12 years ago

Just one more..

takeone.jpgtakeone.jpg

1 week later
    #21 12 years ago
    Quoted from GTech13:

Well, I think I made the decision last night to ditch the 3D Space Cadet theme. I think things were going to be much too complicated and expensive. Seven pop bumpers at $40 each really starts pushing things to my collegent budget limit. I also pretty much had the idea that "if I can get everything to fit on top of the table I just hope it fits on the bottom." However, I don't want my table to be like the other DIYs on youtube. It will use real parts (not wooden flippers and such) and have lots of lights, sounds, and scoring as planned. I was trying to figure out how to go about decorating and theming because honestly I don't know if I really want a theme. I just want it to look cool. I was thinking along the lines of having the playfield be all black with a florescent/glow ball with UV light to light it and plenty of colored LEDs to light the elements but I'm not sure how well that would work. Also, these kinds of pinballs seem to be difficult to find and VERY expensive.
    I will hopefully be picking up the playfield wood Friday and constructing the cabinet and shooting arch right away.
    Any suggestions?

I really love UV lit ball idea, I would go with the TZ style ceramic ball from Bling Pinballs.
    ebay.com link: Twilight Zone ceramic Powerball Pinball Power Ball

1 week later
    #30 12 years ago

I'm quite impressed, very, very cool.

Pat Lawlor said it best:

"The hard part is building it and making it fun. People come up to me all the time at Pinball Expo and tell me they have a great idea for a pinball machine. And they are probably right. It is a good idea. But the hard part is building it. There's a great Larry DeMar quote about this. You are looking at a whitewood with no rules. Larry liked to say, "There's one great game in there, but ninety-nine bad ones."

1 week later
    #40 12 years ago

This is astounding to me.
    I'm really blown away and hope you didn't mind any of my earlier comments, I apologize.
    Very few are doing what you are doing, and we can only say, wow.
    Trailblazer. will be fun to watch this happen.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyFliprFingrs.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-my-own-pinball-machine-a-few-qs?tu=CrazyFliprFingrs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.