(Topic ID: 123769)

Building an AMH from scratch. Is it possible?

By NextoPin

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Hamster
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

So, I really really wanted to buy an AMH but I was unable to come up with the money before they sold out.

Since it's mostly open hardware, available 3d models etc would it be possible if I could get my hands on a playfield? Could I build my own AMH from scratch? It might take a long time and eventually cost more but that's ok, I was just wondering if given what's available from Spooky, could it be done?

#2 4 years ago

Short answer: Anything is possible

Long answer: It is probably going to take a considerable amount of effort, time, money, and engineering. There is all sorts of custom stuff in the machine that you would either have to source from somewhere or build on your own. Your time might be better spent building your own custom game with off-the-shelf parts, rather than AMH from scratch.

#3 4 years ago

Yea, I suppose you're right, It was my only hope of getting one. Hopefully I'll get to play some at Allentown.

#4 4 years ago

I'd watch a 40 part Youtube series on Ben Heck building an AMH from scratch.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

So, I really really wanted to buy an AMH but I was unable to come up with the money before they sold out.
Since it's mostly open hardware, available 3d models etc would it be possible if I could get my hands on a playfield? Could I build my own AMH from scratch? It might take a long time and eventually cost more but that's ok, I was just wondering if given what's available from Spooky, could it be done?

I am sure it is possible but you may want to watch when someone sells one.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

I'd watch a 40 part Youtube series on Ben Heck building an AMH from scratch.

I'm pretty sure I already have.

#7 4 years ago

the number of hours it would take from start to finish would boggle your mind. the cost per part expensive.the problems not known......please don't get me wrong..double thumbs up on thinking how you can make this happen.on something like this you might want to think it would be a much better investment of your time to try to find a part time job or side job to make the money to buy one..believe me this site filled with many of us thinking same way on our pins and street rods..i have had success and failure trying both ways..buy or build..best of luck

#8 4 years ago

Not to threadjack but is it possible to build any pin from a part catalogs/websites? I know you can get a new cabinet, playfield, display, artwork, plastics, some of the boards, and most of the playfield parts new. No way I would ever do that but just curious.

#9 4 years ago

Here's the link to the RGP thread where a guy spent a year and a half building a Medieval Madness from available parts. This was before the BAA remake. He used an NBA Fastbreak as the donor:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/cxHOuHcRrH4

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

Ben Heck provided his take on this sort of thing here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-think-theres-a-market-for-assemble-it-yourself-pinball-kits

As for making it yourself- could you call it a "real" AMH? Would you be able to ensure that someone down the line that bought it from you didn't try to sell it as one? It gets into issues with Spooky protecting their investment in a very limited run of 150 (now 151, then ???) as well as protecting their reputation. You might do an awesome job re-creating it, but what happens if you swap some ground wires and set a house or arcade on fire? I feel like Spooky would be obligated to prevent you from doing this. They might have a different take though.

Quoted from jawjaw:

Not to threadjack but is it possible to build any pin from a part catalogs/websites? I know you can get a new cabinet, playfield, display, artwork, plastics, some of the boards, and most of the playfield parts new. No way I would ever do that but just curious.

There have been two or three Medieval Madness machines built using NOS and reproduction parts and boards and cabinets from lower-valued WPC titles like NBA Fastbreak.

#11 4 years ago

I don't need to build a AMH, but if they sold a kit to build your own of some other theme, or whatnot. I would totally be down. Obviously they would have insane issues with support etc. But it wouldn't be so bad, I'd love to do it.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Law:

There have been two or three Medieval Madness machines built using NOS and reproduction parts and boards and cabinets from lower-valued WPC titles like NBA Fastbreak.

Which is WAY easier than building an AMH where you have no donor cabs or harnesses. while the plastic parts are 3D printed, you'd also have to buy the metal parts from Spooky IF they will sell them for that purpose. As an owner, I hope they don't - not to prevent more than 150 but to ensure that some parts will be available in the future in the case I need a replacement!

#13 4 years ago

Anything is possible with enough time and money.

#14 4 years ago

I would think that if you posted a WTB: AMH at $7k or something I'm sure you could get one much cheaper and easier than building one.

#15 4 years ago

The number of hours to build it exactly would be crazy and expensive.
Personally I would suggest just watching for a used one. They will come up.

#16 4 years ago

Someone on the market place is selling their spot. May no longer be available, but who knows. This game will change owner's hands just like any other game in the future I'm sure. Just not as often

#17 4 years ago

I will sell you mine for $7000.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

Personally I would suggest just watching for a used one.

Or when you have the cash and are ready to jump, post a "Wanted" ad... Somebody not actively could see your ad and decide an easy transaction with a waiting buyer is exactly what they want.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets

#19 4 years ago

possible of course, but I'd kinda hope Spooky decides to do another batch to meet demand. I know there are going to be owners who'd hate the idea of their machine being a little "less rare" if something like this were to happen, but.. if the company is still all tooled up for it, more sales now might help them expand some "Made In USA" production capability, might be a fair enough argument FOR them doing so, also meaning more units and faster fulfillment with upcoming titles.

150 units nationwide+globally, to me seems TOO small TOO limited, if Spooky announced a second batch of 100 more if there were enough ($$ supported!) real interest (once maybe twice even), would it be a BAD thing? it might be taken as a little devious, like SouthPark's Eric Cartman buying an amusement park and running TV ad's "you cant get in!" that resulted in more demand for entry tickets.

I'd LIKE to see Spooky grow. if another 100 were announced and 70-75 people jumped, theres still demand to meet and profit to be made doing it. if only 30-35 jump, why not announce the run being reduced to 50 units at that point, then put more dedication (floor space!) to the upcoming titles.

I might catch flak from 150 people for suggesting it, Spooky might too if they were to do it..
I'm not saying the "exclusive little owners club" doesnt matter or arent important, they DO and ARE!!
I AM saying there should be enough "Made In USA" pride, and interest-support for that and Spooky expanding, the 150 "firsters" shouldnt be upset if 3-400 AMH manage to get built! it'd still be pretty small-exclusive-special no doubt, the "firster" 150 sure do deserve cred for all their help-support to put Spooky on the map. if there were a 2nd batch with a smaller footprint (I mean dedicated floorspace there), those buyers might be waiting a while on order fulfillment.

#20 4 years ago

all that matters is a companies word and they have made it perfectly clear 150 is the limit.

They will have game #2 in a higher production # coming along by the time AMH is done being built.

#21 4 years ago

Charlie has made it pretty clear that there will only be 150, and if I was a buyer I think I would be a bit pissed if they made more, I'm about 100% positive they won't be making any more.

Like others have said, they will come up for sale from time to time, I just expect the price to go up over time.

I like making things, I think I could do it if I had access to the BOM and could start buying parts over time. It wouldn't be a Spooky AMH, just a replica but it would be cool.

Maybe they could make a low end one call America's Slightly Haunted or America's Mostly Haunted lol. Where you have to print all your own parts and extra's.

Fun to think about, not likely to happen. I'm happy they reached their goal and can't wait to see what they do next.

1 year later
#22 3 years ago

I had the same idea as you, but I am on my way there, slowly but I need the following files that are not online anymore.Has anyone got the following files AMH_PF_4.ai,AMH_art.zip,

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from bossgp:

I had the same idea as you, but I am on my way there, slowly but I need the following files that are not online anymore.Has anyone got the following files AMH_PF_4.ai,AMH_art.zip,

just email Ben Heck and ask for them. I have all the files but pretty sure the right thing to do is go ask Ben/Charlie for it. If they removed the files, it was likely for a reason.

#24 3 years ago

Did those just recently get removed? I remember looking at them a few weeks ago.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Did those just recently get removed? I remember looking at them a few weeks ago.

Yeah they were they one minute and removed the next including the source code, etc, asking doesn't seem to be an option, Ben doesn't answer my emails and if he does it's only a few words, rather get the files from someone else that may have them, please !

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from bossgp:

Has anyone got the following files AMH_PF_4.ai,AMH_art.zip,

I saved a copy of all the art files, juuuust in case

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from bossgp:

Yeah they were they one minute and removed the next including the source code, etc, asking doesn't seem to be an option, Ben doesn't answer my emails and if he does it's only a few words, rather get the files from someone else that may have them, please !

Sorry but if Ben pulled them, there was a reason.

i respect Ben and it would be a shitty thing to give you the files once they were removed. IF ben wants to give them to you then he will.

#28 3 years ago

I only asked after the art files, the pf and the art, can someone help please, Ben if you read this would you mind emailing them to me,

7 months later
#29 2 years ago

These were all pulled because someone was talking about "Building there own game" .

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 6,200.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Toppers
COINTAKER.COM
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Normal, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 9,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside