(Topic ID: 235993)

Building an Addams Family from scratch....CRAZY?

By dangerranger96

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4646.JPG
IMG_4629.JPG
IMG_4620.JPG
20181203_151834 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 5 years ago

You can expect to spend about $8-$10k building a WPC game from scratch. You would also likely have to fabricate a number of game-specific parts on your own since a number of them are unavailable.

Quoted from dangerranger96:

My only concern is a wiring harness. I can not seem to find one of those anywhere.

That's one of the many things you would have to make on your own.

Is it possible? Yes.

Is it cost effective? Definitely not.

Is a quick project? Heck no. Hundreds of hours of research, scavenging, building, fabricating, hiring out for things you can't make, etc.

Honestly, even though it sounds like a fun endeavor, you're way better off just buying a game at a reasonable market price.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from dangerranger96:

What would be a cheaper WPC game that may be easier to find?

WPC projects are getting tough to find in general since most are moderately to very desirable. Expect to spend $1500-$3k for a game that flips. A donor game really doesn't make things a whole lot easier or cheaper, though. Maybe when a donor game could be had for $200, but with popularity where it is now, everybody wants project games.

Considering TAF's can be found for $4500-$5500, I would recommend buying one outright instead. It would be much cheaper and easier.

I did a partial spreadsheet work-up a year or two ago of what it would take to do a scratch build of AFM. The parts availability for that is a lot better for that game than TAF and the BOM is a lot smaller as well. And still it was not cheap, and there were still dozens of critical parts that were unobtainable. It is simply not practical no matter how fun you might think it might be.

If you really want to scratch build a game, you would probably be better off designing and building your own custom game.

Quoted from whthrs166:

Reading this makes me wonder if this kind of thing will be more likely to happen in the future. With game prices going up and availability of the classics constantly reducing at some point in the future would the cost effectiveness become a reality?

Not really. It's still way too much work, way too expensive, and too many parts are NLA to be able to build from scratch.

I doubt someone would offer a kit to build a game either. Too many logistics issues.

CGC has the right idea about remaking popular classic games with a high market price in the collector's market. However, they seem to be sticking to non-licensed titles for now, so TAF probably wouldn't be on their remake list anytime soon. I imagine it's on someone's wishlist, though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-an-addams-family-from-scratchcrazy?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.