(Topic ID: 75164)

Building a Gottlieb wedgehead cabinet from scratch?

By NicoVolta

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by laanguiano
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• 2001 Gottlieb, 1971

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

After.jpg
Before.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicovolta.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Hey folks. I picked up a Gottlieb 2001 from CL the other day. Playfield is decent, backglass is perfect, mechanicals are 100%. However... the cabinet... oh dear... oh boy... it's an alcoholic. Had many a drink in its day. The floppy bottom panel is about to fall out. Lots of beer went down there. Also the cabinet is mega-scratched and the backbox is faded and cracked. Doesn't really do "2001" justice if you know what I mean.

I guess you can tell where I'm going with this. Was thinking of taking stencils and reverse-engineering a new wedgehead cab from scratch. And, of course, learning how to do the proper webbing splatter.

Anyone try this before?

The alternative would be to sand everything down and repaint/re-stencil and replace the bottom panel entirely. Assuming the side panels aren't also water-damaged. Need to recheck that.

Sounds like a big, ugly job...

#7 10 years ago

Dan the man! OK... advice from all taken to heart. I'll save the original cab if I can. Will take a closer look when I'm not suffering from the flu. If it looks OK, I'll contact Ken and Adrian and get some options. Though of course a big part of the pinball thing is the challenge of taking on something new. Might be fun to turn a cab assembly into a group project.

Will post some photos after the sick subsides. *blechoo*

#12 10 years ago

Dang... you guys are a wealth of options and advice. I've seen that Kickstarter before - ambitious indeed but their designs are INTENSE. A unique look for sure.

Ack! Didn't think about the lead paint issue. Definitely a problem. No way I'm going to pollute my communal workspace with lead dust. What year did they stop using it?

#16 10 years ago

I generally agree, unless the cab is a weak one to begin with. Like Discotek. I can't imagine putting in hours of work to save such a dull, empty-looking playfield. Worse, the layout looks pretty weak, which a re-theme wouldn't fix.

Just ew.

1 year later
#29 8 years ago

Hey good to see you on here! I'll keep the cabs rolling your way.

Your services are an important asset to our hobby & you do great work!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicovolta.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-a-gottlieb-wedgehead-cabinet-from-scratch?tu=nicovolta and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.