image-1_1.jpg
image-1.jpg
image.jpeg
IMG_2861.jpg
IMG_2859.jpg
IMG_2845.jpg
IMG_2839.jpg
image.jpeg
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 years ago

Hi Pinsiders,

I am fairly new to the hobby and picked up my first pin this summer, a Gottlieb Haunted House. Long story short, it's the pin I remember the most from childhood and a light bulb went off last Spring when I randomly remembered the game and I just had to have one. I became obsessed with learning everything about it and after a short but thorough search, I finally bought a fair priced project. I'm about 75-80% done with restoring it and you can follow my restore thread here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bringing-a-haunted-house-back-to-life. All in all, I am loving the hobby and everyone I've interacted with so far has been so helpful.

But, I am looking to buy more (surprise surprise!) and I have always been really intrigued with the Occult/Paranormal/Monster theme of anything. There seems to be so many great pins in this theme and I just wanted to see if others have gone down this route of buying theme specific pins (whatever theme it is) and what would be the best game to go after next. Don't get me wrong, I would love a Black Hole, Indiana Jones, Guns N Roses, whitewater, theatre of magic, etc. Starting with an HH has me on the right path for this goal.

What do you guys think of this list? I'm no richie rich, and so this could be a ten year plan or something, but you gotta start somewhere.

Here is my list of wants. Sort of ranking them from top to bottom in terms of what I would love to acquire next. Budget wise I may have to jump down a few titles and go with the $2500 - $3k range to start.

- Spirit

- MET Premium

- Scared Stiff

- Bram Stokers Dracula

- Elvira and the Party Monsters

- Tales From The Crypt

- Devil's Dare

- Americas Most Haunted

- The Addams Family

- Twilight Zone

- Monster Bash

- Class of 1812

- Stern Dracula

- Bally Vampire

#2 8 years ago

No Creature from the Black Lagoon?

#3 8 years ago

How about a Mary Shelly's Frankenstein? Just so happens I might have one for sale. : )

#4 8 years ago

Freddy? Class of 1812?

Silver Bullet conversion:

The only thing availble is the backglass, which could act as wall art:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silver-bullet-new-custom-conversion-game
http://bholderman.bigcartel.com/product/silver-bullet-backglass

#5 8 years ago

Yeah, I always forget about that one. That would fit I guess. I know it's a good game based on the reviews, but it never struck my fancy as much as some of these others. Let's consider that one as well. And I would put that around the Monster Bash/Class of 1912 range of my wants. It looks like a fun game.

#6 8 years ago

Silver Bullet looks amazing. I never even seen that one yet.

Freddy is on my potential list, and given my theme it should be on the list. Class of 1812 is on my list, but it seems extremely easy and routine. Could be wrong about that until I actually play one.

#8 8 years ago

Hi Dave,

Be a bit careful. Building a collection around a theme is very cool, but you can end up with some games that are only there for the collection, and not for you. Make sure each and every game that you bring in is measured for the fun factor as well. If you don't find it fun, don't buy it, even if it fits like matching socks in your collection. Keep fun as your top priority and you will always have... well fun.

#9 8 years ago

The Walking Dead

#10 8 years ago

Isn't there a Dracula/Vampire EM?

#11 8 years ago

Gorgar

#12 8 years ago

X-files?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#13 8 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

- Spirit ($7000)
- MET Premium ($6500)
- Scared Stiff ($5500)
- Bram Stokers Dracula ($2500 - $3k)
- Elvira and the Party Monsters ($2500)
- Tales from the Crypt ($2500)
- Americas Most Haunted ($7000)
- The Addams Family ($6000)
- Twilight Zone ($8000)
- Monster Bash ($9000)
- Class of 1912 ($2500)
- Stern Dracula ($2500?)

Note to self: acquire TZ, sell to davebart5

#14 8 years ago

Devil's Dare, Devil, Devil King

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

Isn't there a Dracula/Vampire EM?

Bally Vampire EM, Stern Dracula SS

#16 8 years ago

DaveH, you are exactly right and thank you for the heads up warning. I do plan on making sure these games work for me in terms of fun factor too. The HH was the nostalgia pin and so I had to have that one. The one I think is eerie and cool, but I worry about the entertaining factor for not only me but guests when we have parties and such is the BSD. It seems dark and deep, but is it a hit when random people come over and play some pins? I know MET Premium and Scared Stiff are alot of fun.

I would consider The Walking Dead, but being that it's a licensed pin and I don't really follow the show that much (zombies aren't as cool as ghosts and mythical monsters to me for some reason) it might make the list towards the bottom. But who knows, maybe I'll play it soon and change my mind.

There might be one other Dracula/Vampire EM that i'm not remembering.

#17 8 years ago

DCFan - I forgot about Devil's Dare! Being that I am intrigued by system 80 games, this should be on my list and will add it now. Good call.

Herbert - Haha, thanks! The prices I included were of models and of condition I really liked. I've seen TZ go for that much and they looked amazing. Just some ballpark numbers I threw out there.

#18 8 years ago

What do you guys think of my assessment of Tales From The Crypt? I love the art of that game and would buy that next, but that clack sound of data east flippers and the keeper's cackle laugh just hurts the ears. Do others feel this way?

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

I would consider The Walking Dead, but being that it's a licensed pin and I don't really follow the show that much (zombies aren't as cool as ghosts and mythical monsters to me for some reason) it might make the list towards the bottom. But who knows, maybe I'll play it soon and change my mind.

TWD is fairly removed from the show. It has some general concepts and touches on a few highlights, but it's very much a stand-alone game, especially since none of the actors are doing call-outs.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

... I LOVE Tales from the Crypt the show, and would love to buy this pin next, but I don't really love the "clack" sounds their flippers make, and the cackle laughter of the Crypt Keeper seems like it would get annoying. Thoughts on that?

There's new code out for TftC thx to ChadH.
http://www.pinballcode.com/tftc4

#21 8 years ago

TZ is way overpriced on that list. You can find one for $5,500, $8k would be waayyy too much.

Anyways I think the best value horror themes would be MSF, BSD, and TFTC. All three are great games that are well worth the price.

#22 8 years ago

Bally EM Vampire could probably be had for <$1200
if you could find one as it is fairly rare
But not really that fun to play and some
hate or are afraid of the artwork.

#23 8 years ago

Thanks Waddle, I updated the pricing. Not sure where my mind latched onto that $8k number. Must have been some of the CQ pins some dudes were trying to sell on ebay or from pin retailers.

Good to hear about the TFTC code. I would be very interested in the game knowing this has been updated. Those flippers are what they are I guess...

#24 8 years ago

Just get Scared Stiff and forget about everything else...

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Just get Scared Stiff and forget about everything else...

I would! But that would require some serious financial abundance I just don't see coming anytime soon. At least with MET Prem, I can buy new and use my PayPal Credit with no interest for 12 months and pay it off by then. Probably won't be doing that but it has crossed my mind. With used games from private sellers cash is king and I just don't have that.

The Spirit machine that sold at the Allentown show this year was offered to me pre-show for cheaper than what it sold for $7k on the floor, and I had to pass due to finances and I was just getting into all of this. I knew how rare and valuable it was, but I just couldn't swing it. Kicking myself for not being to make that happen...

#26 8 years ago

MPHISTO.jpgMPHISTO.jpg

#27 8 years ago

Lortium-bg.jpgLortium-bg.jpg

#28 8 years ago

KarnEvil.jpgKarnEvil.jpg

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

The one I think is eerie and cool, but I worry about the entertaining factor for not only me but guests when we have parties and such is the BSD. It seems dark and deep, but is it a hit when random people come over and play some pins?

It's not a great pin for the novice player. You'll love the theme and call outs, but your guests will be frustrated with the quick game times. When I had one in our game room, it was played once and then ignored by most people at our parties.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from Steve-in-CT:

It's not a great pin for the novice player. You'll love the theme and call outs, but your guests will be frustrated with the quick game times. When I had one in our game room, it was played once and then ignored by most people at our parties.

Thats what I thought... Perhaps EATPM or TFTC would be a better fit fun-wise for that price range.

#31 8 years ago

Damn Vid1900, I never even seen those games before.

#32 8 years ago

I've only played a TFTC a few times in the last year or so, so I can't comment on that particular machine's "clackiness." But I do have a LAH, JP, and Frankenstein that are all within the same company/year spans, so I think I know what you're talking about. Honestly, it's just what you get used to. I rarely get to play anything that I don't own since there's no pins in town, so when I get to an expo I play everything that I can. To me, the brand new Sterns are the most clackity "lightweight" flippers out there, followed by the newer Segas. And there's a completely different feeling between my Frankenstein Sega (which was one of the first after they changed from DE) and something newer like a JPLW Sega. And all the Stern/Sega/DE flippers feel different than a Williams/Bally, or a JJP, or a Gottlieb.

My mom sometimes complains about playing my Spiderman because the flippers "are too light" because she's used to her TAF and Flintstones, but she got Grand Champion on it. When I had Stargate, I had to mentally change how I normally played since the Gottlieb flippers go so much higher up and all the shots change. There is still a difference between each machine, and I play my NGG differently than I play my RFM. Heck, just adding super bands instead of rubbers changes the way the ball behaves, so they all take a bit of getting used to. I think if you like a machine's theme and gameplay, you're going to be fine with it and get used to the flippers in no time.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Only one I've played is Mephisto. These are European titles, and pretty rare in the US.

#34 8 years ago

Mr Black.

image-16.jpgimage-16.jpg

#35 8 years ago

Could add Fireball and/or Fireball II to this list. Hell, you could even add AC/DC, lol.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

TZ is way overpriced on that list. You can find one for $5,500, $8k would be waayyy too much.
Anyways I think the best value horror themes would be MSF, BSD, and TFTC. All three are great games that are well worth the price.

I 2nd this and suggest focusing on those 3 titles first, especially if the $5k+ stuff is currently out of reach. All excellent bang-for-the-buck horror pins.

#37 8 years ago

Tales is great with Chad's new code and I wouldn't be surprised if demand goes up once more people get to play it . It is also pretty popular with non pin friends at my house.

Most of my collection is horror and eventually the two others will be replaced with horror. The games all play different enough to keep my interest.

The Walking Dead or BSD would both be great paired with your HH the speed of them would be a nice change from the slower play of HH and vice versa it would be nice to play a slower game after the craziness of BSD.

Met is the one non horror game that I could see myself getting and keeping for a long time if my brother didn't have one I probably would already own one.

#38 8 years ago

Building a Collection: Occult/Paranormal/Monster Pins

What no X-Files?
or do you already know that game
is considered a dud.

#39 8 years ago

Guest love my BSD but it is my only DMD

But my Girlfriends brother never really played pinball, wouldn't stop pressing the start button after the end of a game

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from ssbodyman:

Met is the one non horror game that I could see myself getting and keeping for a long time if my brother didn't have one I probably would already own one.

Because they have the Monster version, this made my list...

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Building a Collection: Occult/Paranormal/Monster Pins
What no X-files?
or do you already know that game
is considered a dud.

I grew up watching the show, but the game just doesn't seem like it would interest me. Maybe I'll find one to play in York this weekend and see if it does the trick.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

No pin collection is complete without them, lol.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

Guest love my BSD but it is my only DMD
But my Girlfriends brother never really played pinball, wouldn't stop pressing the start button after the end of a game

This is good to know. The sounds and call outs on BSD is awesome. I am torn between EATPM, TFTC, BSD as my next game. This weekend in York is my reconnaissance mission to see which of the three in that price range resonate the best.

#44 8 years ago

WWF Is Loaded With Dead Guys!!!

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from jasonp:

WWF Is Loaded With Dead Guys!!!

lol

John Juke's has a Vampire EM. It looks awesome.

https://www.flippers.com/pin4sale.html

Bally-Vampire-1524.jpgBally-Vampire-1524.jpg

#47 8 years ago

TFTC is where it's at!

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

lol
John Juke's has a Vampire EM. It looks awesome.
https://www.flippers.com/pin4sale.html
Bally-Vampire-1524.jpg

This game looks awesome. I might actually pick that title up if the PFs and Cabinet were in better shape. The art on the whole thing is really cool.

#49 8 years ago

Mystery Castle, awesome underrated creepy game, unfortunately kinda rare. You can check it out on youtube

#50 8 years ago

hard body is a good horror theme

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 64.00
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 11.95
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-a-collection-occultparanormalmonster-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.