15E95D0C-1170-46A5-B222-406A3E0B545A (resized).png
257EBE9B-C39D-4761-96FE-8E395D8A939F (resized).png
01D8186C-9375-4FF8-889C-EC4331403BA8 (resized).jpeg
340EE4DE-C838-4101-A5F2-A190B66BE90D (resized).png
9084F74B-713C-430F-90E1-3B463F5F940A (resized).jpeg
59B86725-B587-42DC-8998-E20F2871AF72 (resized).jpeg
74131DFE-FD49-4E6B-8B36-F1647C141D9B (resized).jpeg
BE1F0461-CEEE-45F6-A0A9-0CB355D3F035 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsrph.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Just picked up a partially populated playfield to turn my Flight 2000 donor into a Cheetah. Haven't seen anyone create a Cheetah yet, so here goes!

All the boards and working parts of this F2K were used to re-build a different F2K about 10 years ago. The busted boards have now been repaired and it's time to donate again to this effort.

Already have a BGresto backglass on order. I have two extra 3-bank drops and the different style trough parts in-hand.

I'll make the light panel myself but not stencil the cabinet at this time...no space, equipment, or skills for that right now.

Anyone have some Cheetah tear down pictures I can use to see details of what is missing from the project playfield?

Thank you

Cheetah pf and F2K (resized).JPGCheetah pf and F2K (resized).JPG
#3 3 years ago

Patient on the rotisserie. Here’s the back of the playfield. I knew it was missing all solenoids and assemblies which can come from the donor. Bought a new complete 3rd left flipper. Third pop bumper parts to be ordered yet.

Has the lamp wire harness but not the solenoid or switch portion. I snagged a complete Big Game harness off ePay for this occasion.

Any other glaring things that I’m probably not seeing because it’s not there?

B9C94A52-2012-40F9-911E-48EA8CB46E27 (resized).jpegB9C94A52-2012-40F9-911E-48EA8CB46E27 (resized).jpeg
#5 3 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Looking forward to following this. I want to do this someday when CPR releases repro playfields. I’ll have to make my own harnesses but it’s doable.

Yeah, I was going to wait for the CPR repro until a local Pinsider reached out with the used playfield.

I was planning to make my own harness too. Now only need to make half a harness.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

missing 2x spinners
couple of plastics
5 bank memory drop
2x3 bank drops
the pop lower guts at least the plastic hoops are there though that's the hard part..... I probably have the guts somewhere I'll have to look when I get a chance
3x flippers
3x slings
apron
upper loop wire forms.... original was 2 straights, but you can replace this with a black knight upper right loop one for smoother action
and the harness.

Thanks for the detailed inventory slochar

The only two things I think I don’t have covered by the donor pin and purchases so far are-

1- pop bumper below pf guts for one unit. Lotta hardware, plates, yokes, coil, switch, spoon, etc. missing. Couple people said that this stuff was available at PBR but their website says otherwise. If you have some of that would be great. Old and used is fine! Please let me know when you get the chance.

2- upper loop wire forms. Gonna need to look at some pictures to see what they are. Hopefully not unobtainable. The BlackKnight ones are available though?

#8 3 years ago

See what wire forms you're referring to (W1 and W2) at the loop.

Also noted that three others are MIA:
Two W1 inlane wire forms
Ball launcher W3

Maybe they can be made if not laying around in someone's parts bin?
It's a good start...I'm sure other things will needed

Cheetah wireform.pdfCheetah wireform.pdf
#9 3 years ago

Did some searching and some people have used the wire bending jig from Marco to make their own wire forms. Anyone have experience with that?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-8593

They offer a kit with various size piano wire. Anyone know the diameter needed off-hand? Might be better to get more of the right size than a variety that isn't enough of the one needed.

Wire forming starter kit includes a #77-8593 Wire Bending Jig and (10) 1-foot pieces of wire of the following wire gauges:

.031 inch diameter wire (2 pieces x 12 inches each)
.040 inch diameter wire (2 pieces x 12 inches each)
.051 inch diameter wire (2 pieces x 12 inches each)
.063 inch diameter wire (2 pieces x 12 inches each)
.080 inch diameter wire (2 pieces x 12 inches each)

Best way to make clean cuts? Thanks for any input on that.

wire bending jig (resized).jpgwire bending jig (resized).jpg
#13 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Don’t forget that you’ll have to make a light board for the head.

Yes, I was going to try and make my own. I have a picture of the light board insert that I was going to work from to try to make a template. I did a proof of concept with my F2K in Photoshop and it might work.

Unless someone steps up with a more accurate drawing. Please and thank you!

0AAF0629-FDC3-435A-A6D3-05551DE2602F (resized).jpeg0AAF0629-FDC3-435A-A6D3-05551DE2602F (resized).jpeg
#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Used successfully once to make very simple ball guides, with only two bends.
Tried multiple times unsuccessfully to make complex things like gates.

Okay, so there’s some hope for me. Is the wire size in Classic Stern‘s a standard size? Misplaced my calipers and need to buy another.

Best wire cutting tool? Dremel with cut-off wheel or some kind of small bolt cutter pliers?

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Good luck on this endeavor! Here's a worthwhile upgrade while you have the playfield out:
https://pinballreplacementparts.com/products/stern-cheetah-replacement-lamp-boards-take-555-sockets

Thanks. I just cleaned up those sockets and also the strip up the middle. If I wasn’t successful I’ll go with that 555 board.

#18 3 years ago

Changing out the light sockets and using a tip I read from a Pinsider.

Putting a label on the pf and wire so I don’t need to look back at the schematic or pictures to figure out where the wire goes. Only takes a couple minutes and saves me time on reassembly.

C8BB2649-2AA1-43A5-AC6C-DE954DA59458 (resized).jpegC8BB2649-2AA1-43A5-AC6C-DE954DA59458 (resized).jpeg
#19 3 years ago

Worked really well for my F2K full swap. Here’s the carcass

1ABC4270-12A2-4B7D-B16B-50CDA48D7729 (resized).jpeg1ABC4270-12A2-4B7D-B16B-50CDA48D7729 (resized).jpeg
#20 3 years ago

With the ultimate goal of eventual swapping to a CPR repro pf when it comes out, I was thinking of putting all solenoids, pop bumpers, flippers and drop target assemblies on connectors...

Some people think this connector adds a failure point?

Should 0.093 be used or are 0.062 pins okay, current carrying ability?

Discuss.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I don't think it's a new failure point. I do this on my restorations now just like HEP. I think old machine makers didn't do it to save assembly time and a few bucks per machine?
I standardize on one size, the larger one. I'm not a huge oem counting fractions of a cent over 10s of thousands of machines.
But those are just my 2 cents.

Good input. Thx

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Has cpr announced that they’re making this title or are you hoping that they will in the future?

They are working on it now and it’ll be a just a few months...

Edit- see post #253 https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-stern-cheetah-club-its-fast/page/6#post-5931805

A lot of thanks to TractorDoc for making this happen!

#25 3 years ago

Finished cleaning all inserts and changed sockets.

Went with insulated 18 gauge wire with solder lugs instead of stapled braid.

Got the fancy striped wire from Remington Industries. They often have clearance spools. Got 313 feet for $11.40 shipped.

BA2ACF32-F4BB-4285-BD62-BF91B1AD75A5 (resized).jpegBA2ACF32-F4BB-4285-BD62-BF91B1AD75A5 (resized).jpeg
#26 3 years ago

Use my temperature controlled station to work on boards but not for under the playfield. I use a light weight 25w pencil for those jobs.

How do you know when you’re soldering too much....when your tip is reduced to a nub.

51241D1C-11E6-4B4B-9084-A1F2C161AE4C (resized).jpeg51241D1C-11E6-4B4B-9084-A1F2C161AE4C (resized).jpeg
#27 3 years ago

Not much playfield work accomplished today. Ordered some parts.

Tested and cleaned a bunch of bulbs to go in the new sockets.

Built a little box that has a 44, 555, 89 socket powered by a phone charger that stores inside. Put in an LED to show when power is on. Testing goes really fast and is independent of having a game powered up.

562C9266-CEB6-44BD-84FD-05A834C76E50 (resized).jpeg562C9266-CEB6-44BD-84FD-05A834C76E50 (resized).jpegCB09DF02-33D2-4625-AFA1-F8454CC0CF5B (resized).jpegCB09DF02-33D2-4625-AFA1-F8454CC0CF5B (resized).jpeg
#28 3 years ago

Put up a wanted ad for the missing under pf parts of one B-695 Thumper pop bumper. I know the yokes can be printed at Shapeways but the whole base is bare and there are several obsolete parts that are needed.

Used, dusty, dirty, rusty, smoky, stinky is fine as long as they still work.

Thank you

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-thumper-b-695-pop-bumper-parts

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Chances of you ever having to remove these mechs again are pretty slim. IIRC, after 28 playfield swaps spanning 16 years I have had to replace one broken drop target, thats it. Thousands of plays, games brought to shows, some placed on location for months. One broken drop target. It just seems to me to be an unnecessary step and yes I think it does add a new failure point.
If anyone really believes that more connectors are a good thing, work on a Gameplan game sometime.

Yeah, don’t want to add extra work putting in the connectors or dealing with any ongoing issue with them. Only thing is I’m planning a swap to the repro pf, probably not too far from when this used one is all assembled.

Guess I could try moving everything over without unsoldering all the coils. Someone showed how they slid the entire harness with all components connected from one playfield to another.

Maybe just use connectors for all four drop target banks. Thx

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I have pop bumpers (I'll have to look for the coil stops) No topside rings though (this is what I bought them for to get the plastic rings)
I have the plastic mounts attached to them as well as 2 switches. They are likely all from Af-tor which is the same pop parts which is why 2 of the switches have scoring switches as well.
I don't have any more of the Black Knight round ring for the upper middle spinng. I probably do have 2 of the other wire guides if you get me the sizes. It plays much better with a rounded one though, it's smooth no matter where it hits, the dual wires one side sits above the other and sometimes you'll get a reject from that side if it hits it just right.
Oh I probably have some spinners laying around but they're not going to be mint by any means.

I'm with Brian on this, I don't add connectors that aren't needed. It's your game though, you do what you want. If you are the type of person that likes to take the stuff out a lot to inspect it, rebuild it multiple times, etc. go for it.
A lot of the issues with added connectors come from people that frankly have zero idea how to make a proper crimp. I bought a Dolly Parton that the guy had recrimped all the connectors, and they were all done wrong. Especially if you don't use the ratcheting tool with the proper die, the crimper that you do twice on each connector pin is the easiest to screw up the crimp (the little ears are supposed to fold over into a UU shape - the incorrect way just has them flopping horizontally over each other.
He was proud of his job but when I arrived to pick up the machine it didn't work. He was all worried about it and was swapping SDBs etc. I didn't really care because I knew I was going to redo it all anyway.[quoted image]

One assembly (or just one set of bottom side parts) would be fantastic!

I’ll measure the W1, W2, and W3 wireform hole spacing this afternoon.

Do you have a picture of the BK round ring set up?

Gonna recycle the two spinners from my F2K. Pf has one so should be ok on those.

I have the ratcheting crimper but after I re-pin or recreate what is missing of the harness I won’t look forward to doing any extra crimping. See my above response to Brian. Most likely just put the drops on connectors.

Appreciate everyone’s input and expertise. Thx

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from kickabit:

I’ve been using the K&S mini bender for my ball guides. It was much easier to work with to make 90 degree bends than the Marco one. I use stainless steel wire and they polish up really nice. A Dremel cutting wheel works well for cutting since the wire used for Stern games is pretty thick. I also grind the ends to give them a bit of a point. I could measure the sizes for Cheetah guides if you need them. [quoted image]

Great information, I haven’t purchased the bender yet. I’ll look into the K&S.

I can measure the hole spacing of the missing wire forms on the playfield but what thickness of wire do you use?

Maybe I’m overthinking it but in fabrication, is there a trick to figuring out how much length is lost in the bend or just trial and error to get it to come out the right finished length?

#37 3 years ago

Here are the measurements I took- only approx since my calipers are on order-

Up by spinner loop
Left side of loop (W2) = 1 7/16”
Right side of loop (W1) = 2 3/8”

Ball catapult (W3) = 3.5”

Two by the In Lanes (also called W1 but measure different than the upper W1) = 2 3/16”

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

IPDB lists five classic Sterns with 5-bank drop targets. Is a memory drop bank one that requires you to hit the drops in sequential order, like Nine Ball?
Which of these is a memory drop target bank?
Cheetah
Freefall
Hot Hand
Lectronamo
Split Second
Stingray
Trident

Yeah, I don’t have a complete 5 bank target bank yet although I am still looking.

I did pick up a front, top and bottom along with a reset bar from a 5 bank.

I think I can take the sides, levers, coils and part of the back from the F2K target bank and build the 5 target bank. Only thing to cut down or source would be the rods that stretch from side to side. There’s a brass one and a steel one. Wish me luck.

Plan B was to get a Meteor 6 bank and see if it could be shoehorned in there or cut that down. Someone from overseas did answer my wanted ad but was asking $165 for it and I passed.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from ibis:

Your going through all this trouble and not installing brand new bulbs?

I find the new bulbs are cheap and burn out fast.

If the old bulbs burn out I’ll change them right away or when I do my upcoming swap. First order of business is to get this game complete. Then I can LED it and perfect it. This pf is only temporary.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I wish you all the best on this build. Good luck with creating the wiring harnesses.

Thank you. F2K uses a lot of the same wire colors. I will copy from that but I’m sure I will have lots of questions.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

There are lots of parted out classic Sterns out there. The first step is identifying which pins had the memory banks. The second step is to network to find the right parts. If you participated in any of the leagues in your area, network with other players. I have a Trident playfield so I can use that five bank for my pending Cheetah build. I'll post my question in the classic Stern forum.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch

Not in league so networking and have placed an ad here on Pinside.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

emsrph Thus Pinsider is making wiring harnesses for classic Sterns and Bally’s. Ask if he’ll be willing to make them for Cheetah.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-wire-and-harnesses

Thanks I did see that harnesses are being remade.

About 40 years ago I had a job in a main frame computer manufacturing company...this included making wire harneses.

I can do this portion of the build and I will enjoy it.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Terrific idea for a scratchbuild project. Are you going with the black or blue cabinet? (I vote blue!)
Suggestion on bending the wireforms, just use a pliers with some painter's tape wrapped around the edges so you don't dig into the metal. That jig will give you very "soft" bends with too large a corner radius. I've made several wireforms using pliers and never had a problem, and the corners look exactly like the originals.

Hey good idea with the pliers or maybe in a vise? Just clamp it and bend it.

No cabinet work right now. I’ll just sandwich between other games until I have space and equipment for that part.

#49 3 years ago

My calipers showed up. Wire forms that are there are 0.08” diameter.

1 week later
#50 3 years ago

Laying out the switch matrix harness wires. Labeling all the strobe and return lines.

To pick a path for routing the wires I stand up sharpie markers so I can see the destinations.

Anyone have other tips if not going from an original layout?

6B2816F1-FE67-4405-9FF1-3A0DCF1CA872 (resized).jpeg6B2816F1-FE67-4405-9FF1-3A0DCF1CA872 (resized).jpeg
#51 3 years ago

Update- switch wiring is finished. Satisfying to go from no wiring to complete. Took a few hours but I was making sure I didn’t make any mistakes.

Solenoid wiring is next. Should go a lot faster.

Then flipper, pop bumper and drop target rebuilding.

Previous owner used sheet metal screws instead of machine screws for the flipper bushings and tore out the threads in the flipper brackets. Will blue loctite and a nut hold for the bushings or will I need to buy new brackets?

0EDF846D-18ED-4313-9485-A62C24268465 (resized).jpeg0EDF846D-18ED-4313-9485-A62C24268465 (resized).jpeg
#54 3 years ago

Thx guys. I’ll add those to my next parts order.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

How did you know to recommend that -- where did you see older plates?

KenLayton linked the correct Type 2 baseplates.

#59 3 years ago

Installing the right side drop target bank. Two of the switches on the back of the bank hit the kick back coil.

The middle switch screws are against the coil. They need maybe 1/8” more to clear for mounting the bank but there doesn’t seem to be anyway to adjust. Also the kickback coil lug is touching the upper bank switch. See circled parts in picture.

Do I have the right kickback mechanism? I’m using the one from a Flight 2000. I put in the right coil and all the mounting holes match.

If there’s no room, maybe use a slimmer coil. Would a 1500 work here instead? Thx
99D7103D-87B8-45CF-B50D-15B354959EEA (resized).jpeg99D7103D-87B8-45CF-B50D-15B354959EEA (resized).jpeg

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

That bank might benefit from using the drop bank with the switches on the bottom like stars and Dragonfist use.

Is that what Cheetah is supposed to have here? Can this bank be converted somehow?

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

The switches just get put on the bottom of the bank instead of the back.... other mpu100 games have this style as well. They only used one bank (upper left) on dragonfist this way because of where the bank is arranged. I think the holes are even still in the bottom plates to mount normal switches there, with either lifters or bends in them.

Yes, the holes are there on the bottom plate and I see how they mount from the Stern 1979 parts catalog.

In looking at pictures of other people’s Cheetahs they don’t have the switches on the bottom of this bank.

Should the ball kicker mechanism be different instead?

167AB823-8440-4F3F-A069-489D31F05308 (resized).jpeg167AB823-8440-4F3F-A069-489D31F05308 (resized).jpeg
#65 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Don't know if it helps with space but the below picture from tractordoc in the Cheetah club image gallery, you can see the kickback coil lugs are opposite from the coil stop (i.e. playfield side). Otherwise take out the top bakelite piece from that D.T switch stack to reduce its depth.
https://images.pinside.com/f/76/12/f76125944c2f3448afce930665392f3ed232eaf0.jpg

Thank you @quench. I did look at that picture but didn’t see that the coil was turned. I usually have the lugs away from the stop, don’t know why I didn’t here..

Also I’ll try to skinny up the switch stack.

Good ideas. Every mm will help!

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

If I can make it over to the shop today I'll try taking better pictures of the playfield underside. I don't know that mine is 100% correct, but it may help provide some reference for you.

I'll try the suggestions from Quench in the next little bit that may make the difference. Thx

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

I'll try the suggestions from quench in the next little bit that may make the difference. Thx

Turning the coil and removing the Bakelite spacer from the center drop bank switch helped it fit but the screws still close to the coil.

I’m going to fill the bracket holes and scoot the coil back less than a screw width. Plunger operates smoothly and there is some daylight between the parts.

Thanks guys.

E80387B3-643C-4F77-96A8-59CD6547D086 (resized).jpegE80387B3-643C-4F77-96A8-59CD6547D086 (resized).jpegED82462A-099E-4456-9DE8-C1F4214EBCFE (resized).jpegED82462A-099E-4456-9DE8-C1F4214EBCFE (resized).jpeg
#69 3 years ago

Plus a little filing and round head is now a pan head screw for some more clearance.

56947C31-64EF-4772-90EF-CF93467BBDD0 (resized).jpeg56947C31-64EF-4772-90EF-CF93467BBDD0 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#70 3 years ago

Progress is happening!

Solenoid and switch harness is complete. under pf (resized).JPGunder pf (resized).JPG

All drops and pops are rebuilt. drops pops (resized).JPGdrops pops (resized).JPG

Converted the Flight 2000 drop target bank to a Cheetah. That was the hardest part of the project so far. Haven't done much metal work and don't really have a workshop set up for it. Lots of measuring and went thru a disk and a half cutting the front and rear plates. Reattaching the memory plate was a challenge. Won't win any beauty contest but works manually. Will need to verify in the machine if everything works.

dremel (resized).PNGdremel (resized).PNGprecut (resized).PNGprecut (resized).PNGdt bank (resized).JPGdt bank (resized).JPG

New drop targets on order. Re-pinning connectors and final adjustments on switches before moving to finish the topside.

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Enjoying seeing the progress you're making on this project. Cheetah is the only Stern electronics pin I've never played (or even seen in person).

Thanks, glad there is interest. I’ve read a bunch of restoration threads before even considering this build.

My result won’t be anywhere near the high quality of a lot of super talented pinsiders but learning a bunch in the process with help from this group.

1 week later
#73 3 years ago

Topside is re-rubbered and complete except for fixing up the ends of the in lane plastics. Both are busted at the flipper ends. Also crafting a temporary left sling plastic.

1BA0E88B-87CE-49E7-9F5C-571429946DE7 (resized).jpeg1BA0E88B-87CE-49E7-9F5C-571429946DE7 (resized).jpeg

I’ll be buying a new plastic set with the repro playfield. Just didn’t want to spend an extra $60 plus shipping. The CPR combo price is a good deal.

Only parts to add are those that can’t be done while the playfield is on the rotisserie. Those are near the top rail and apron.

Which way do the kickout coil terminals face so they don’t short out on the apron or trough? Not the way it is now but toward the player?

07BFED78-BAB4-4D9F-A2B3-5DD9D8063EA1 (resized).jpeg07BFED78-BAB4-4D9F-A2B3-5DD9D8063EA1 (resized).jpeg

Light board fabrication is the next step while waiting for the Bgresto back glass to arrive. Measurements of the display locations were requested in the Cheetah club thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-stern-cheetah-club-its-fast/page/7#post-5989842

Otherwise have my 3/4” birch plywood and 1/2” forstner bit are ready to cut.

Have my new lift channel from Pinsider @gatecrasher. Very nicely made. Quick shipping, well packaged and reasonable price.

ROMs will be changed on the OEM MPU-200 to the Cheetah Home version.

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Outhole coil should have the terminals at the coil stop bracket. The terminals should face toward the backglass.

Thank you for the direction!

#76 3 years ago

Playfield is complete and in the cabinet. Will do last minute checks and fire it up over the weekend. Game has a split personality right now.

564205FB-36C7-46F5-94AA-8A7652F6A12A (resized).jpeg564205FB-36C7-46F5-94AA-8A7652F6A12A (resized).jpeg
#77 3 years ago

Full size light board template is complete except for confirmation of credit display location.

Pay no attention to the numbers and extra lines on the print. Needed them when zooming in on areas and piecing together the printout.

Photoshop doesn’t have tiled printing for making a poster picture of letter size paper. Surprisingly the free Adobe Reader does.

BE1F0461-CEEE-45F6-A0A9-0CB355D3F035 (resized).jpegBE1F0461-CEEE-45F6-A0A9-0CB355D3F035 (resized).jpeg
#78 3 years ago

Cutting and drilling was fairly easy.

Just have the display areas to finish. May wait for my backglass to make sure the alignment is right on.

Then sand and paint the front. Anybody know what white paint to use on this board and does it need to be sprayed or can it be brushed on? Thx

74131DFE-FD49-4E6B-8B36-F1647C141D9B (resized).jpeg74131DFE-FD49-4E6B-8B36-F1647C141D9B (resized).jpeg
#79 3 years ago

In the decade and two moves since I picked up the project game I managed to lose the transformer board.

In the process of building another. The Weebly board is a fun little build as many have made them.

The transformer came with a connector but it must have been something like 0.084 so I replaced to 0.093 which are the connectors I’m using in the game.

59B86725-B587-42DC-8998-E20F2871AF72 (resized).jpeg59B86725-B587-42DC-8998-E20F2871AF72 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#81 3 years ago
Quoted from Ilikewires:

If it is of any interest to you, I make a line of replacement lamp boards for early Stern machines. The board for this machine replaces the metal panel with a PC board that takes 555 sockets. Once it is installed you change lamps out (or put LEDs in them) with ease. Please see www.pinballreplacementparts.com. I did many of the early Stern games namely because they liked to use these metal panels, and when a socket(s) go bad, they suck to replace.
Chris~

Hey Chris,

Yes saw your line of products and Agent_Hero mentioned it in post#16. Very nice solutions!

My metal panel wasn't in too bad a shape but will verify when I get it all together. Thanks.

#82 3 years ago

Happy Holidays...

IT’S ALIVE! IT’S ALIVE!!

Need to adjust some switches and fine tune but played several games. Plays fairly fast even though some inserts on this previously owned playfield aren’t completely level. Glad I was able to start with the semi-populated field to make this a reality. Thank you again @out_of_order!

Can’t wait for the CPR repro to come out but plenty of game rules to learn in the meantime!

Appreciate all the help from the Pinsiders on this thread, the Cheetah club thread and others but especially thanks to TractorDoc who is a great resource both publicly and on PM.

Also a plug for Matt’s Basement Arcade for fast turnaround on the game chips (Pinsider @meloyelo51).

The Bgresto back glass is shipping tomorrow and should be here Tuesday. This thing is coming together!

9084F74B-713C-430F-90E1-3B463F5F940A (resized).jpeg9084F74B-713C-430F-90E1-3B463F5F940A (resized).jpeg
#83 3 years ago

Building the harness was not a bad experience. I double and triple checked my wiring but it seems there are mistakes in the switch matrix schematic for the pop bumpers.

Manual says:
Switch 12 (White-Black) = Top Pop, but it should be Mid
Switch 13 (White-Green) = Bottom Pop, but it should be Top
Switch 14 (White-Brown) = Mid Pop, but it should be Bottom

Plays much better when the switch activates the correct pop bumper. Wrestled with redoing the switches or swapping the solenoid numbers. In hindsight swapping solenoid return lines at the driver board connector would have been less work than cutting tie wraps and rerouting the switch wires. Maybe next time someone is under the hood or has their pf on the rotisserie they can confirm.

Everything else seems right but as I learn the game I’ll post if any other issues are discovered in the rollovers or targets designated in the manual schematic.

Game is getting better the more I play it.

340EE4DE-C838-4101-A5F2-A190B66BE90D (resized).png340EE4DE-C838-4101-A5F2-A190B66BE90D (resized).png
#85 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

What's happening now in both solenoid test and switch test mode? Do the pop bumper solenoid and switch numbers match the manual?

Solenoid numbers for the pop bumpers match the manual. The switch numbers when they matched the manual did not correlate with what pop bumper was activated.

Now that I have swapped them as stated, each pop bumper when the switch is closed causes the corresponding pop bumper solenoid to respond as it should.

I went through the switch self test and the pop bumpers were the only switch matrix errors in the manual.

Pop switches should be like I marked up in the picture. Someone can check it.

01D8186C-9375-4FF8-889C-EC4331403BA8 (resized).jpeg01D8186C-9375-4FF8-889C-EC4331403BA8 (resized).jpeg
#87 3 years ago

Mentioned this in the Cheetah Club but no one confirmed the schematic is wrong.

Isn’t the EOS wiring on all the flippers that is in many Stern manuals just wrong?

Stumped me until Pinsiders confirmed how to hook it up.

Right flipper, for example, the EOS is connected to Blue-White, not Orange.

15E95D0C-1170-46A5-B222-406A3E0B545A (resized).png15E95D0C-1170-46A5-B222-406A3E0B545A (resized).png257EBE9B-C39D-4761-96FE-8E395D8A939F (resized).png257EBE9B-C39D-4761-96FE-8E395D8A939F (resized).png
#91 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

If you swap the orientation of the two diodes around on the flipper coil and move the blue / orange wires to the opposite lug ends, then the schematics are correct. So it depends how the diodes were placed on the coil. Must have been a reason why they changed it.

Ok, I see that now. Small sample size but seems like the diodes come that way and thus require wiring different than the schematic.

#94 3 years ago

Letting this beauty come to room temperature before installing lift trim and molding.

Very well packaged by BGresto. Can’t wait to see it in the game.

88476DDA-7161-48C9-910A-086D19F06D64 (resized).jpeg88476DDA-7161-48C9-910A-086D19F06D64 (resized).jpeg
#95 3 years ago

Game conversion is close to finished. Back glass looks great even though not lit up yet.

Just have to wait for a day above freezing to cut out my display windows and add insert lamps and harness.

0FCE6A16-F1AE-4A41-89AA-136BAFB6211F (resized).jpeg0FCE6A16-F1AE-4A41-89AA-136BAFB6211F (resized).jpeg
3 months later
#96 3 years ago

I put marked up graph paper behind the backglass display windows to make sure the holes would line up.

Used a jigsaw to make the cuts in the light panel and it went very smoothly.

Just have to add the backbox harness and GI lamp sockets on the board to finish it up.

Game play is a lot of fun, especially now that I can see the score display.

9EED8669-D19D-43B1-A0D0-2032F47F5DCF (resized).png9EED8669-D19D-43B1-A0D0-2032F47F5DCF (resized).png

75067175-956F-49E7-9B76-B29B00D130DF (resized).jpeg75067175-956F-49E7-9B76-B29B00D130DF (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#97 2 years ago

Finally got back to finishing the light insert panel. Bgresto glass looks good lit up with warm white LEDs.

The F2K harness to the displays is a little tight. Maybe I can cut some wire ties for slack but it’s in.

Don’t have a cabinet refinish area (or skills) but painted the frame of the back box black. An improvement over the original blue.

Almost time to swap the playfield if I can stop playing it.

0B9B9219-AFD8-4BBE-B13E-2887C0201501 (resized).jpeg0B9B9219-AFD8-4BBE-B13E-2887C0201501 (resized).jpegF70C33FB-19B3-47E6-8BB6-0640BCBA0BAE (resized).jpegF70C33FB-19B3-47E6-8BB6-0640BCBA0BAE (resized).jpeg
8 months later
#98 2 years ago

Finally finished the swap to the CPR playfield. This conversion was a fun project and the game is a great player.

Thanks to all that helped with parts, showed their restorations and answered questions!

772D6E81-6766-4957-AADC-3B47B53C2E8E (resized).jpeg772D6E81-6766-4957-AADC-3B47B53C2E8E (resized).jpegFB4EB000-C68B-4C3A-A6F0-BD8ADDFB126B (resized).jpegFB4EB000-C68B-4C3A-A6F0-BD8ADDFB126B (resized).jpeg
#100 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Awesome! You got one of the first 10 CPR playfields with the blue bonus inserts! I have one too
I love the look of the metal u-turn. Great job!

Thanks HoakyPoaky

I missed the original sale and only have that playfield because of Tsskinne

Surprised there is still stock of the second run.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
$ 69.00
4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vaudreuil-dorion, QC
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsrph.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-a-cheetah?tu=emsrph and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.