(Topic ID: 86352)

Building a better Pinball Show (Ann Arbor MI model)

By cfh

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 429 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by boagman
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo (21).JPG
    IMG_5825.JPG
    IMG_5797.JPG
    IMAG0123.jpg
    IMG_1438.JPG
    Screenshot_2014-05-18-21-16-12.png
    IMAG2844.jpg
    IMAG2842.jpg
    20140517_143339.jpg
    spirit.JPG
    Safe Cracker.JPG
    joust-759.JPG
    VFW Line 4.JPG
    VFW Line 3.JPG
    VFw line 2.JPG
    VFW line 1.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#64 10 years ago

What I don't like about expo is that usually the newest Stern is only in the tourney area. Maybe there is one off to the side set for $1.00/play for a charity. I pay show admission, on site hotel for two nights and probably $125.00 in fuel all have to pay a buck a game. Kinda pathetic when you think about it.

#98 10 years ago
    Quoted from Bribo13:

How Do I buy My Tickets ? Direct mail ? In person at the door ?Or is there a web site ?
    tyia

www.vfwpinball.com

Hope to see you there.

#115 10 years ago
    Quoted from KevinDDR:

With all that said, I don't know a single competitive pinball player who is in it to "get paid". For real, if you asked me to name one I honestly couldn't. Everyone I know is there for the love of the game and the thrill of competition.

Really? You mean to tell me that those who fly across part of the Country to a show and spend virtually the entire show hours in the tournament are not doing it for the money? How about those that fly over to Europe from the United States. They're just doing it "for the love of pinball" (Just like Jack started JJP "for the love of pinball", sorry, I couldn't resist) Sure, believe whatever you want. I say they are doing it for the money and I refuse to line their pockets. I only play when a tournament entry is "included" (notice I did not say "free") with a show admission package.

#144 10 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

the only player from Michigan representing.SO, i hope for the sake of our state, even though i'm a bad naughty tournament player, that you all will support me and wish me luck. I'm carrying michigan on my back for the state finals, world finals, world team championships and 2 or 3 other pre tournaments! ."

Gangstarr isn't going or didn't make the cut?

#149 10 years ago

Andy,

howareya? I didn't realize that you changed your handle. Good luck in Colorado. I always want a Michigander to win.

Bruce

#158 10 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

But will shuttle buses to pinball life be allowed?

Pinball Life will be at the Ann Arbor Showcase. If someone has to go to the Huntley warehouse, one of us could take you to the Ann Arbor Amtrak or Greyhound station. From there you would go to downtown Chicago. From there you board a Metra Train on the Northwest line to either Crystal Lake or Woodstock. A nice, healthy walk to Pinball life and you are there.

1 month later
    #292 9 years ago

Five days and counting down.

#296 9 years ago

While I love Zingerman's for the taste & quality, it is overpriced. Oswald's corned beef, soup, bag of chips and a drink is about $24.00 . New York City pricing. I keep my visits to once every couple of months.Also note that Zingerman's is not a long-time Ann Arbor staple.

#298 9 years ago

My sister and her husband, who went to U of M but now live in San Diego visit Ann Arbor whenever they ard in the area. I've asked her if they stopped at Zingerman's and she said nope, wasn't there when she lived there.

As far as longevity, Pizza Bob's is still on State and Bicycle Bill Loy's bicycle shop only moved three years ago when he was made an offer he couldn't refuse for construction of an apartment tower.

#309 9 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

Agreed. Go to the Squeeze In on Ecorse for the full experience.
    Also, Bill's across the street for Root Beer
    maybe Gabriels for a Cheese Steak Hoagie
    the 'Vue for a tube steak boogie.

And, there's a Gabriels in Westland and a Roy's Squeeze in Canton.

#310 9 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I go to Zingermans every weekend with the women. Is it expensive? Yea a bit, but it's well worth it. Their coffee and teas are the best. Their sandwiches are unreal and huge (though they now come in two sizes, i get the small, the large is too big for one person.) Their deserts are to die for. Their breads are fantastic. Pastrami at Zingermans is the best.
    I grew up in NY and visited NYC a lot (my aunt lived there, and my grandparents lived on the Island.) So i've had my taste of NYC delis. Zingermans is better. A LOT better. In my eye, there's no comparison.
    The best way to deal with Zingermans is to call your order about 20 minutes ahead. Then you go to the customer counter, pay, and there's your food. If it's not quite ready, you sit down and within minutes it's on your table.
    Those that say it's too expensive are just cheap. Some things you have to pay for in life. Get over it. Last I checked most of you guys have jobs.

Some of us prefer to spend our dough on other things like overpriced German cars and pinball machines. I will pay for good food and as I said, Zingerman's is really good. But, when four of us go and the bill is over eighty bucks and you sit on diner style chairs, I'd rather go to Knights on the West side or, for a little more, Weber's Inn.

#317 9 years ago
    Quoted from nsduprr:

I find it absolutely amazing that a thread about a pinball show turns into a freaking pissing match about who’s favorite restaurant is better than the others guy’s. And who’s cheap and who’s cheaper. And this is between PEOPLE WHO GO TO THE VFW ON A REGULAR BASIS. What’s next? Who can pop the biggest boner???

Thank you for your kind words. We hope to see you at the show and hope you have a great time.

#324 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

Don't worry about it Clay. My wife to this day doesn't have a good handle on measurement because I've been lying to her for almost 20 years about how long 6" is.
    That's one reason I love Funhouse. Rudy affirms my manhood when he calls me a big sausage!

It all depends on which base numbering system you use. Imagine Aerosmith's song Big Ten Inch using hexidecimal...

#381 9 years ago
    Quoted from Tektune:

Had a good time, show was nicely done! The games played superbly and were fixed as soon as any problems developed. There were plenty of orange Staff folks around to keep things running smoothly, and they were all friendly and helpful.
    The mini tournaments were laid back and fun. The choice of machines was great, as the EM and early SS games are more about playing skill than deep rule sets (IMO). Hope to see the winners names on the website.
    Suggest using a drop or two of TriFlow (Teflon lube) on the ball shooter rods, some of them were pretty sticky by the end of the day (ie. The DMD Playboy in the back corner). The teflon is non greasy and lasts quite awhile.
    Thanks for a great show!

When I wasn't using my simple "pocket protector" tool kit which worked for 60% of the problems found, my carry kit has a tube of genuine Bally MBI Instrument grease which I would lube any noted sticky shooter rods. I did lube all of the woodrail shooter rods during a pre-event shakedown Friday prior to show open. So much for that shakedown as the woodrails had quite a few problems during the event. I guess that's to be expected for 50-60 year old machines.

IMAG2842.jpgIMAG2842.jpg
    IMAG2844.jpgIMAG2844.jpg

#385 9 years ago

Pinball Expo co-founder Rob Berk stopped in at the VFW Showcase today with his son. He's seen here chatting with Clay in the repair shop/game hospital.

Screenshot_2014-05-18-21-16-12.pngScreenshot_2014-05-18-21-16-12.png
    #388 9 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

I just shot them full of WD40, per Clays direction....

I enjoy telling Clay how I use WD-40 on Score Motor switch stacks (each and every switch) as my first step whenever repairing any of the EM's at VFW. I've nicknamed it "Technician in a can". Always spray a little bit extra on the run-on switch as well and hide the fire extinguishers. Watching his face contort and hear him coming up with new curse words is pretty funny.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-a-better-pinball-show-ann-arbor-mi-model?tu=mrbally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.