(Topic ID: 86352)

Building a better Pinball Show (Ann Arbor MI model)

By cfh

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 429 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by boagman
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo (21).JPG
    IMG_5825.JPG
    IMG_5797.JPG
    IMAG0123.jpg
    IMG_1438.JPG
    Screenshot_2014-05-18-21-16-12.png
    IMAG2844.jpg
    IMAG2842.jpg
    20140517_143339.jpg
    spirit.JPG
    Safe Cracker.JPG
    joust-759.JPG
    VFW Line 4.JPG
    VFW Line 3.JPG
    VFw line 2.JPG
    VFW line 1.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikedetroit.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#125 10 years ago

Let me start off by saying that I do not attend pinball shows because of tournaments, mostly because I am a terrible player. I mostly like playing games that I have never played before.

Has anyone really looked into the legality of hosting these high dollar tournaments? If you look into the law, isn’t it technically considered gambling because it’s a “pay to play” system? Only the state lottery and a select few nonprofit charities and allowed to do this and they are regulated by the state. That’s why when you see, for example, the McDonalds’ Monopoly sweepstakes advertisements that they always say “no purchase necessary” since you buying the meal is a “pay to play” system. McDonalds’ always has forms that you can join their contest and mail in and join without buying any of their products to get around that. I guess you could argue that the high dollar tournaments are a completion, but I really think it’s still a “pay to play” system still applies.

If the final prize is given by a sponsor and the money you pay into goes toward the use/wear of the machines during the completion, that’s a way you could skirt around it. Yet I feel high dollar buy-ins would really need to be questioned since the price to play seems over the value what typical wear and tear would be on a machine and the machines that are used are typically donated by people who never receive the compensation for use of their machines.

Lastly, one of the biggest problems with these high dollar tournaments is that the show promoter may advertise the games included in the tournaments as games being brought to the show for the public (general admission) and once you get there and pay your admission you realize the games you came to play are roped off. It could really put a bad taste in your mouth and I think game lists should be broken down by tournament and public games.

It’s just something you need to consider when planning these events.

4 weeks later

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikedetroit.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-a-better-pinball-show-ann-arbor-mi-model?tu=mikedetroit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.