(Topic ID: 86352)

Building a better Pinball Show (Ann Arbor MI model)

By cfh

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 429 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by boagman
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo (21).JPG
    IMG_5825.JPG
    IMG_5797.JPG
    IMAG0123.jpg
    IMG_1438.JPG
    Screenshot_2014-05-18-21-16-12.png
    IMAG2844.jpg
    IMAG2842.jpg
    20140517_143339.jpg
    spirit.JPG
    Safe Cracker.JPG
    joust-759.JPG
    VFW Line 4.JPG
    VFW Line 3.JPG
    VFw line 2.JPG
    VFW line 1.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kevinddr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 10 years ago

If a show doesn't have a quality tournament, I won't attend. That's probably not the case for most people but it seems lame to not have a quality tournament when it can easily be done without wrecking the show for everyone else. Also, anyone claiming that tournaments on modern games are about insider knowledge is completely out of touch with reality. I learned about 99% of what I know in the last three years by watching Bowen's videos and, most importantly, actually getting out there and playing pinball instead of agonizing over what Hallmark toys to put inside a machine.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

So games in the tournament row not available for all to play without a donation to top ranked players isnt ruining others good time....... where you come up with that crock of shit ? To most casual players, seeing a newer Stern available for "tourney players only" does ruin a good time if you look at the promise of free play that comes with admission. Most go to shows to play the games they dont have, and most shows put the newest games available in the tournament. Nothing sucks more than going to play title XXXXX and it being in tourney row for $5 a play.

Very few mods at the VFW clubhouse, and where there is a mod, its used within good taste, like color dmd's or some led's.
    I personally will never put another game that i take to a show in the tournament. The slapping of the sides of the game, slamming down the lockdown bars, and GASP...... intentional tilts when tourney player has a bad game....... you act like this doesnt happen when its a daily common thing !!!!!! Besides, i want my games to be enjoyed by all, just not the privileged few who look at my prized possessions as another game to beat the hell out of.

The false assumption here is that the machines brought for tournament play would be brought if a tournament didn't occur. Maybe this is the case at shows with crappy tournaments where they just yank the best games off the floor for tourney use, but I'm not talking about those ones. At most shows with good tournaments, the games brought for tournament use are brought by tournament organizers and players so that the tournament can have good games. Those people would not be likely to bring those games if the show had no tournament. I'd also be surprised if games were more likely to receive damage by use from good players in tournaments than they would be by the general public that pays whatever entry fee to come to the show. Bopping the sides of a cabinet is a skillful method used to control the ball and does not cause any damage to the machine. Slamming the lockdown bar, while a dick move, also does not cause damage to the machine. Intentional tilts, while also dick moves, don't cause damage to the machine. I don't recall any incidents in the over 150 tournaments that I have played where a machine got damaged by a player other than one isolated incident of someone punching through a playfield glass. The player was punished and immediately offered to pay compensation to the machine owner.

Do many shows really have a problem with not having the latest Sterns available for play outside of the tournament? Good tournaments tend not to use exclusively Sterns and I imagine distributors usually bring the latest games as well.

Sorry if I come off as overly confrontational, it's just frustrating to see things that are inherently untrue being said about tournament play and tournament players. I obviously understand that tournament play isn't for everyone, nor should it necessarily try to be. However, I think tournaments enhance shows more than they detract from them and ultimately pinball gains great publicity from things like PAPA TV which highlights tournaments at good shows across the country.

#31 10 years ago

I should also mention that I think the other portions of Clay's post are spot on. Nothing sucks worse than going to a show and constantly running into junk games that people bring just to get them fixed for free. Overcrowding also sucks. The part that kind of confuses me about the post is that it's not like any of this stuff isn't common knowledge; if we all had access to 200+ machines and a warehouse to run events in, I'm sure pinball shows would be better. It's just not a realistic or feasible option in most parts of the country. The way Clay's show is structured sound great, sure, but is the suggestion that people buy 200+ machines, spend years dialing them in, then open their collection up to the public at a loss? While some people like, for instance, Clay, and the great folks at PAPA might be willing to do that, I don't think the model of having collectors bring machines to a common venue will ever go away. It's really necessary in most parts of the country and I don't think it's really fair to call the Ann Arbor show a "model" upon which to base other shows when it's clearly just not possible to do so.

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Actually, at the Texas Pinball Festival one year, the WOZs that JJP brought were exclusively for the tournament. It's been that way pretty consistently at the shows in Texas.. the new games show up in the tournament area and if you want to play them you have to pay to enter the tournament.

It's funny, the Texas Pinball Festival ruleset and game choices have been the laughing stock of "serious" tournament players for quite a while. Those tournaments end up finishing at wacky times like 4am or whatever, use multiple of the same game and make other dubious decisions like putting WOZ in a tournament bank when it had effectively not even been released yet. I wouldn't base your impression of most show tournaments on TPF; I can assure you that they are outliers when it comes to tournament rules / game choices / other decisions. I heard that this year that tournament went quite a bit better than it has in the recent past, so good on them for coming around to more standard formats.

#111 10 years ago

I guess I should have said that I currently won't go to a show without a tourney. The reason for this is because my funds for pinball travel are limited so I have to prioritize what events I travel to based on how they fit into a larger picture. I enjoy playing in tournaments so shows with tournaments get higher priority than those that don't have tournaments. Additionally, I don't aim to "get paid" playing pinball but if a tournament can offset the cost of the trip, then that makes me more likely to attend. Of course the reason I go is to have fun playing pinball (both in tournaments and out) and to hang out with my out-of-town pinball friends. If money was no object and I could afford to go to anything I wanted to, I would absolutely go to quality shows that don't have tournaments. As phishrace mentioned earlier, anyone can see that a good show is a good show, tournament or not. It's unfortunately just not something I can really do right now.

With all that said, I don't know a single competitive pinball player who is in it to "get paid". For real, if you asked me to name one I honestly couldn't. Everyone I know is there for the love of the game and the thrill of competition. Running a show with no "serious" tournament is totally fine and I understand Clay's reasons for wanting to do so, even if I don't necessarily agree with them personally. However, it really bothers me that tournament players are getting slammed so hard in this thread. Maybe tournament players are all dicks (including myself) and I'm just oblivious to it. I just don't think that's the case, though.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kevinddr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-a-better-pinball-show-ann-arbor-mi-model?tu=kevinddr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.