(Topic ID: 86352)

Building a better Pinball Show (Ann Arbor MI model)

By cfh

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 429 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by boagman
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo (21).JPG
    IMG_5825.JPG
    IMG_5797.JPG
    IMAG0123.jpg
    IMG_1438.JPG
    Screenshot_2014-05-18-21-16-12.png
    IMAG2844.jpg
    IMAG2842.jpg
    20140517_143339.jpg
    spirit.JPG
    Safe Cracker.JPG
    joust-759.JPG
    VFW Line 4.JPG
    VFW Line 3.JPG
    VFw line 2.JPG
    VFW line 1.JPG
    There are 429 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.
    #401 9 years ago

August would be a great time for the next one!

#402 9 years ago

I was the guy hogging the Gold Strike. It might be my new favorite game, even though I'm a 90s guy!

Late on Saturday, I couldn't play any other game without losing interest and wishing I was playing Gold Strike.

I must find an El Dorado for sale!

#403 9 years ago

I had a great time---got to play lots of new games. Thanks to all who made the event possible. It was a smoothly-run operation---with an extremely friendly staff who greatly contributed to the laid-back atmosphere. And please thank whomever brought in the WOZ. What an incredibly generous thing to do...

#404 9 years ago

That was Abel Electronics. And we did greatly appreciate the WoZ!!!

#405 9 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

I was the guy hogging the Gold Strike.

I played some long games on it myself. That back row of drops is awesome. Especially shooting for the ones that are lit.

#406 9 years ago

What else can I say? Best show ever! I was planning on only sat but after a short time I knew it wasn’t going to be enough time so I went and got some Sunday tickets as well, I still didn’t get to play everything, time goes fast when you’re having fun. Hope to do it again. Thanks Clay..

#407 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

I won't be satisfied unless the next pinball show is equipped with bidets in the bathroom!

Not to mention, a friendly instruction card in each stall.

IMG_1438.JPGIMG_1438.JPG

#408 9 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Not to mention, a friendly instruction card in each stall.

IMG_1438.JPG 297 KB

so did you like it? Pretty smart move to help ease stress on septic!

#409 9 years ago

Am I the only one that thinks yancy's vfw memory as having his butt auto washed is a bit ironic?

#410 9 years ago

I have to echo all the positive comments that people are posting. Came in from Chicago and spent all day/night Saturday at the show. Incredible array of games...got to play a ton of stuff I'd only read about or seen pictures of. I liked the way the games were arranged by era, although that might have caused the middle aisle to be more crowded than the rest. However, the amount of people was never overbearing and it was usually pretty easy to jump on a game of choice.

Best of all, I was able to play some games that were on my short list to acquire in the future. Some are no longer on that list, and a couple of other games are now in the mix. : Really enjoyed Cirqus Voltaire which I didn't expect!

The hand bowler in the back was constantly occupied...gotta try that next time. Thanks to Clay and staff for a great time!

#411 9 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Am I the only one that thinks yancy's vfw memory as having his butt auto washed is a bit ironic?

Must be something with you darn northerners! (I say that in jest as I'm from WI)

Python had a septic at his farm in MI, and he had a trashcan and a sign on it that said paper in here or something. So basically you had to put your used paper in a special trashcan so you only flushed the "business" down.

Al, James, and I had plenty of laughs about that on the way home.

#412 9 years ago

Hopefully the weather will be more cooperative for the next show. I'm looking to do some camping!

That will truly make it a unique show.

#413 9 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

Hopefully the weather will be more cooperative for the next show. I'm looking to do some camping!
    That will truly make it a unique show.

I was the only camper this year, but it was great and I will do it again and try to bring as many people as I can.

#414 9 years ago

Your camping was actually pretty cool. I was amazed you did it given the chilly temps Saturday night. And thanks for asking first before you threw up the tents. That was very polite.

#415 9 years ago

We took a picture of the *only camper* in the far corner of the field. One day this picture will be famous when thousands of campers descend on the place. We'll post the picture here as a *remember when* at that time and puff out our chests while boosting that we were cool enough to be at the first event.
    Here's another first; 200 games were working at the beginning of the show and 200 games were STILL working at the end of the show. Clay and his crew worked morning-to-night keeping each and every pin in working order. Amazing.
    Terry.

#416 9 years ago

Also my favorite...... the surprise bidet attack. For the few that experienced it, you know what I'm talking about
    Terry.

#417 9 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

I was the only camper this year, but it was great and I will do it again and try to bring as many people as I can.

Way to stick to your guns! I feel like you just broke good ground. Such a great facility in such a great location.

#418 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Also my favorite...... the surprise bidet attack. For the few that experienced it, you know what I'm talking about.
    Terry.

I'm not sure if i should fix that "issue" or not... it's kind of like piss trough light saber wars...

#419 9 years ago

Here was the view from my campsite. My tent is not completely set up in this picture. I didn't start to set up until the show ended at 9:00, and this picture illustrates that I was setting it up as it was getting dark, while also trying to sneak in a picture.

IMAG0123.jpgIMAG0123.jpg

#420 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

We took a picture of the *only camper* in the far corner of the field. One day this picture will be famous when thousands of campers descend on the place. We'll post the picture here as a *remember when* at that time and puff out our chests while boosting that we were cool enough to be at the first event.
    Here's another first; 200 games were working at the beginning of the show and 200 games were STILL working at the end of the show. Clay and his crew worked morning-to-night keeping each and every pin in working order. Amazing.
    Terry.

The only game that went down and stayed down was Granny and the Gators. And that was because me and Jerry didnt have the flash led code documents handy. So one game down, and including working garage games, there was around 210 games at the show.

#421 9 years ago

We had a great time on Saturday!
    Thanks Clay and staff. You guys did a wonderful job.
    Glad we got are tickets early. When's the next one? I'm ready to purchase my tickets!

[Edit] We were the London Ontario group - Mark, David, Mike, Julie, Paul, Jeff, Steve, Leanne, Larry, ...
    More pictures here:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.307481932747625.1073741854.153318108164009&type=3

IMG_5825.JPGIMG_5825.JPGIMG_5797.JPGIMG_5797.JPG

Post edited by MarkInc: add fb pic link

#422 9 years ago

Clay please post a picture of the gunslinger with his mask on when he is fixed. I enjoyed him without his mask, reminded me of Yul Brynner in "Westworld".

#423 9 years ago

I found myself and my daughter in a couple of your photos...

#424 9 years ago

With a face like that, I didn't even wanna trouble the bartender for a drink.

photo (21).JPGphoto (21).JPG
    #425 9 years ago

Never saw the gun slinger with the mask on...he was SO creepy without the mask, one of the best parts of the visit

#426 9 years ago

so sounds like we can now crown this the

Biggest and Best Pinball show in the world *

* based on number and quality of games available to be played for the duration and assuming playing games is your main thing of importance/ only focus in a show.

#427 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

so sounds like we can now crown this the
    Biggest and Best Pinball show in the world *
    * based on number and quality of games available to be played for the duration and assuming playing games is your main thing of importance/ only focus in a show.

Give the show a little time to develop. Yes, as it stands it is the * best show in the world for playing games*, but Clay has 10 acres of land to create his one pinapoolza if he so wishes. I hope he *wishes*.
    Terry.

#428 9 years ago

Sounds like it was a pretty incredible show. Congrats to Clay and crew for doing such an amazing job. Wish I could have made it.

#429 9 years ago

It *was* a heck of a show, and I really have to doff my cap to Clay, Eric, Doug, Bruce, and Roger, who really took the bull by the horns with this thing, and showed the world how it's *done*. I was one of the orange t-shirt clad STAFF, and believe you me: these guys were the engine, and the rest of us were moving parts. Clay's role was/is pretty obvious, and he managed to actually be half-hospitable to people! Who knew it was possible? Really, though: Clay did a terrific job.

Eric. Eric is a freaking *beast* of an organizer. You want to put on a show? He's a stinking work horse of a guy to have in your corner. You'll never know how much he did to keep this thing running smoothly, especially in terms of logistical setup. You'll also never know how many of the machines in that building he personally shopped. Kudos, sir, and to your always-lovely wife. She's too good for you, you know.

Doug is a charge-forward, take-the-bull-by-the-horns guy, who also isn't afraid to delegate. He's the one that made sure concessions were done well. While that may not put stars in *your* eyes, it sure put stars in mine: being that I was there for a number of hours helping out, it sure felt nice to be able to go out and get something decent to eat, cold to drink, and a seat to enjoy it in. As a guy whose mood is frequently dictated by my stomach, I'm grateful to him. It's also good to be able to go to a guy, ask "What can I do?" and get an honest, real, and straightforward answer. That's Doug. You like him because he's not there to BS you, he's there to work.

Bruce. Mr. Bally. Mobile Technician Extraordinaire. Holy cow, man...you're nothing if not *on your game* when fixing pins on the fly. It's categorically impressive the way you can diagnose, isolate, and honestly *fix* things right there on the floor, and if there's something that needs more care, off to the Hospital, for jackpot! Your more-than-hard-working son/assistant Dan did you *very* proud. I'd like to borrow you, since Clay won't come to my parents' house and fix the issue with my WPT.

Roger is the only guy whose picture I took, since he's the only one of us who was wearing a blue blazer with his bright orange STAFF t-shirt, white sneakers, blue jeans, and absolutely rocked the outfit. More than that, though, Roger did a *ton* of prep work for the show in terms of publicity, including seeing that the flyers for the show were spot-on beautiful, and professional. If there's a guy who could get the word out better, I don't know who that would be.

I'm just one of a ton of guys who had a terrific time helping out so that everyone who went could have a terrific time. I want the VFW to be something that people enjoy, something they think highly of, something they can be proud to have in their community. I also want it to be a place that I can go to and play pin for myself, with others in tow, and not be worried about the place being run-down, shabby, dirty, or generally unacceptable. It takes a lot of work to put on a show like this, and the guys I listed above really, *really* are the stars of the show. There were lots of cogs in the machine like me, and we all want to contribute, but the engine drives the machine, and they should be commended.

I look forward to the next time we do this...I just hope we have enough time to recover to do it right AGAIN. I'm very proud of this undertaking, and I'm happy that I was able to be a part of it. It's stuff like this that gives folks positive pinball memories, and since I have plenty of those myself, it's nice to be able to let other people make some new ones of their own! It takes a great deal of work by some very talented and dedicated people, but all great things do.

Well done!

There are 429 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-a-better-pinball-show-ann-arbor-mi-model/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.