(Topic ID: 86352)

Building a better Pinball Show (Ann Arbor MI model)

By cfh

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 429 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by boagman
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 44 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

photo (21).JPG
    IMG_5825.JPG
    IMG_5797.JPG
    IMAG0123.jpg
    IMG_1438.JPG
    Screenshot_2014-05-18-21-16-12.png
    IMAG2844.jpg
    IMAG2842.jpg
    20140517_143339.jpg
    spirit.JPG
    Safe Cracker.JPG
    joust-759.JPG
    VFW Line 4.JPG
    VFW Line 3.JPG
    VFw line 2.JPG
    VFW line 1.JPG

There are 429 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
    #351 5 years ago

Had a great time, got to play a bunch of games that I've never played before and put time on some favorites too. There were a lot of early SS games that surprised me how much fun they were. I'd say the amount of tickets sold was spot on as it was busy but always games open to play and usually never more than one or two people in line for popular games.

#352 5 years ago

Awesome job VFW pinball. Had a ton of fun today.

#353 5 years ago

here's a couple of quick aisle photos from early saturday (my gf and I were one of the first ones through the doors).

IMG_3801[1].JPG

IMG_3800[1].JPG

IMG_3802[1].JPG

IMG_3803[1].JPG

like many have stated before, even with the number of tickets sold for a "sold out" saturday, the crowd was manageable and we never had to wait behind the people actually playing a game that we wanted to get in on. it was also great to finally meet (face-to-face) terry from pinballlife and scot from pinrepair which had plenty of pinball related items for sale.

we had a blast there. played straight through from 10am until about 5:30 before heading out to ann arbor and stopping off at zingerman's for a bite to eat before heading home for the evening.

ps
    I even managed to score an impressive 3.65M on safe cracker and claim the 2nd high score spot

#354 5 years ago

All the really newer machines are in the back room. Metallica, Stern Star Trek, Cactus Canyon, Medieval Madness, Twilight Zone, Attack from Mars, Cirqus V, Banzai Run, Still Crazy, Safecracker, Monster Bash, and of course, Big Bang Bar. If you missed that room (and you're a DMD player), then you really did miss out. And of course, Gun Slinger (which went non-stop Friday and Saturday but finally died. I will try and fix him this morning...)

#355 5 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

All the really newer machines are in the back room. Metallica, Stern Star Trek, Cactus Canyon, Medieval Madness, Twilight Zone, Attack from Mars, Cirqus V, Banzai Run, Still Crazy, Safecracker, Monster Bash, and of course, Big Bang Bar. If you missed that room (and you're a DMD player), then you really did miss out. And of course, Gun Slinger (which went non-stop Friday and Saturday but finally died. I will try and fix him this morning...)

We had no idea about the "back room", and yes - we prefer the newer DMD games. That said, y'all did a great job, and we still had a lot of fun! We will certainly look forward to,returning for future events.

#356 5 years ago

The wife and I are heading out this morning, I tried to buy 2 tickets this morning but see that the paypal link is gone so please save 2 of those door tickets for us!

Thanks!

Brian and Cori

#357 5 years ago

Had a good time, show was nicely done! The games played superbly and were fixed as soon as any problems developed. There were plenty of orange Staff folks around to keep things running smoothly, and they were all friendly and helpful.

The mini tournaments were laid back and fun. The choice of machines was great, as the EM and early SS games are more about playing skill than deep rule sets (IMO). Hope to see the winners names on the website.

Suggest using a drop or two of TriFlow (Teflon lube) on the ball shooter rods, some of them were pretty sticky by the end of the day (ie. The DMD Playboy in the back corner). The teflon is non greasy and lasts quite awhile.

Thanks for a great show!

#358 5 years ago

The back room is the icing on the cake. Saturday was a blast yet again. Great job guys!! I couldn't believe how fast the staff addressed any and every issue that came up. These guys were on it instantly.

#359 5 years ago

On my way. Bringing TFTC to a potential buyer I hope clay has an area I can set it up.

I am bringing some of the more popular under-cab kit's if anyone is interested and wants to save shipping just come find me. I will be wearing my black I got next game shirt for those who don't know me.

Chris
    Rock Custom Pinball

#360 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

here's a couple of quick aisle photos from early saturday (my gf and I were one of the first ones through the doors).

like many have stated before, even with the number of tickets sold for a "sold out" saturday, the crowd was manageable and we never had to wait behind the people actually playing a game that we wanted to get in on. it was also great to finally meet (face-to-face) terry from pinballlife and scot from pinrepair which had plenty of pinball related items for sale.
    we had a blast there. played straight through from 10am until about 5:30 before heading out to ann arbor and stopping off at zingerman's for a bite to eat before heading home for the evening.
    ps
    I even managed to score an impressive 3.65M on Safe Cracker and claim the 2nd high score spot

IMG_3801[1].JPG 189 KB

IMG_3800[1].JPG 188 KB

IMG_3802[1].JPG 220 KB

IMG_3803[1].JPG 170 KB

You caught me playing SS. Now I want one again. This hobby! What a great place VFW is. Amazing!

#361 5 years ago

As everyone mentioned - everything about this show was amazing. Lots of games, and all well maintained. Lots of friendly staff. Well organized. For me - it was a perfect show.

Thanks to everyone involved in putting it together. I certainly hope there are future events like this - I look forward to attending again.

#362 5 years ago

Was there yesterday afternoon and evening. It was absolutely awesome! Thanks for putting on a great show, Clay. To all the volunteers. You guys were fantastic. Great games. Great people. Great times. Beautiful work.

Just one minor suggestion. The pitch on the DMD games was pretty inconsistent. I'm no pin wizard and typically don't notice a few degrees here and there. For example, Congo felt spot on to me. On the other hand, certain games seemed a bit "floaty". The IM that was there comes to mind in that regard. The playfield seemed a bit flat. Just my observation-- Thanks!

#363 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tektune:

Suggest using a drop or two of TriFlow (Teflon lube) on the ball shooter rods, some of them were pretty sticky by the end of the day (ie. The DMD Playboy in the back corner). The teflon is non greasy and lasts quite awhile.

Quoted from usandthem:

The pitch on the DMD games was pretty inconsistent. I'm no pin wizard and typically don't notice a few degrees here and there. For example, Congo felt spot on to me. On the other hand, certain games seemed a bit "floaty".

You guys are gonna make a man wanna commit murder!

#364 5 years ago

double post

#365 5 years ago

Looking forward to the next one... This time you'll have to kick me out.

#366 5 years ago

Me and my wife spent the entire day there yesterday and I have to say this is by far the best Pinball experience
    anybody could have, this event puts MPE to shame. Every game there was in immaculate condition, I was there
    all day and I didn't see one machine broken. The limited ticket sales was a great idea on Clay's part. We could
    walk up to any machine and play. We played WOZ about six or seven times, at MPE that would have meant standing
    in line for about 4 hours. Big Bang Bar, Cactus Canyon , MM first time seeing some of these pins and we played
    them a number of times. I also like the fact that there are no games set aside for tournament play, at MPE the
    few descent games there were to play you couldn't. Clay's idea of how a Pinball show should be run is right on,
    he should be out there giving seminars to other people on how to run a Pinball Show. If you didn't get a chance
    to go to this show this time, don't miss it the next time it's open. This is a must see for any Pinball fan.......

#367 5 years ago

I'm glad I didn't miss the back room as it had two things I really wanted to see in it: Baby Pac-Man and Joust. I was led straight to it by one of the staff (a league mate of mine) because the first thing I said to him was "I heard there's a Baby Pac-Man." And a two-player Joust game is an absolute blast. Wish there were more of those around!

I was at the show Friday from open to close and wished I could have had a bit longer as there were plenty of tables I saw and would have liked to play but didn't get to -- not due to crowding, but rather, just because there were so many to play and I played my favorites repeatedly. I have never seen so many beautiful pins together in one place. It was like Pinball Wonderland.

#368 5 years ago

Great show! Really enjoyed the way it was set up and handled. Someone earlier mentioned all of the staff that were there in orange shirts helping out and fixing issues. At one point the No Fear I was playing had the slingshot go past the rubber. I motioned for a guy in an orange shirt to come help, then I realized he just had an orange shirt on. "Bad day to wear an orange shirt."

It really spoiled other shows for me now. I won't be satisfied unless the next pinball show is equipped with bidets in the bathroom!VFW Bidet.JPG

#369 5 years ago

Clay and all the volunteers - thanks for a great time! My daughter and I had a blast! Got to play so many games I have never seen before in person. Everything was working great and when there was the rare problem, the orange shirted crew were easy to find to get them back up and running VERY quickly!

Quoted from Thunder424:

We even played an older bat/ball game toward the front and had a blast competing for the most runs. More importantly, the people were nice and the games were in tip top shape.

I had a blast playing this too - my daughter loved it and brought me over to play it and I managed to get the high score on it to boot! (30 runs)

#370 5 years ago

I'm a EM lover, will post pictures of the great games in the EM section of the forums.

vfwsign1.jpg

VFw line 2.JPG

VFW Line 3.JPG

VFW Line 4.JPG

VFW line 1.JPG

#371 5 years ago

I was there all day Saturday, except when I left to eat dinner with family.
    It was great all the way around.
    Awesome facility, great games, huge number of games, etc.......
    Lots of parking and the place was clean and well organized.
    The crowd was great. Enough people, but not enough to create lines.
    The staff was phenomenal. Lots of them and they did an exceptional job at keeping the pins up and running. Several pins had issues, none seemed to last very long.

Thanks guys for a wonderful pinball experience!

Edit: Just spotted myself playing Pharaoh in JM's pics. Cool.

#372 5 years ago

joust-759.JPG

Safe Cracker.JPG

spirit.JPG

#373 5 years ago

That was a good time...I need to rest now though

#374 5 years ago

Whew!!! What a weekend! I think all of us on the staff will need at least a week to recover...

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone for coming out and visiting us at Vintage Flipper World. We worked really hard to try something different, and we hope that everyone enjoyed themselves immensely. Judging by the comments I see so far, it looks like Mission Accomplished!

Working the front door, I had a lot of folks asking me when we would put on another event. It will take us a little while to clean all the games and take stock of how things went. Once we do make a decision about future events, we'll be sure to post notice here, as well as on the www.vfwpinball.com website.

Thanks again, and stay tuned!

- Eric V.

#375 5 years ago

20140517_143339.jpg

#376 5 years ago

Just got home from Clay's vfw show and walked away having the best pinball experience in my life! There's not one thing negative I can say about it, and if you read all the previous comments, mine are more the same. To me, this place is the Disney world of pinball, the happiest place on earth Ha!

I personally have thanked Clay for his contribution to pinball and for sharing his collection with other pin heads and I want to say it again here. Thank you, Clay! Also, thank you for all the staff and volunteers that made it happened. You all were perfect. Hopefully there will be more events and I will be looking forward to the next one.

#377 5 years ago

That was......AWESOME!!!!! Thanks Clay and everyone who helped put on such a great show. Everyone was friendly and helpful with problems that popped up. I had a stuck ball on earthshaker and two great guys in orange helped out. I'm kinda new to the pinball world. I got my first games sometime in the fall last year and I have to say the pinball community is freaking awesome. Truly a cool show.

#378 5 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your support and kind words!

But to be honest, i was a very small cog in the wheel that made this all happen. My 'job' was to stay out of the way and let Eric & Doug & Bruce and everyone in orange shirts do what they do best. Their enthusiasm and helpfulness was unmatched. I was in awe of what these guys did. Sometimes i had to actually get out of their way! Thanks to everyone again.

#379 5 years ago

I had tickets for Saturday, but had to miss it. I won't miss it next time... . Looks like it was an awesome show. Congrats Clay and crew....

#380 5 years ago

We thank you Clay for allowing us to play so many great games in an amazing collection!

I mean...where the hell else are you going to play a Knock Out, Mermaid, BBB, Safe Cracker etc. etc. etc. under one roof?

Great games and more importantly great people that attended the event on all three days!

#381 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tektune:

Had a good time, show was nicely done! The games played superbly and were fixed as soon as any problems developed. There were plenty of orange Staff folks around to keep things running smoothly, and they were all friendly and helpful.
    The mini tournaments were laid back and fun. The choice of machines was great, as the EM and early SS games are more about playing skill than deep rule sets (IMO). Hope to see the winners names on the website.
    Thanks for a great show!

When I wasn't using my simple "pocket protector" tool kit which worked for 60% of the problems found, my carry kit has a tube of genuine Bally MBI Instrument grease which I would lube any noted sticky shooter rods. I did lube all of the woodrail shooter rods during a pre-event shakedown Friday prior to show open. So much for that shakedown as the woodrails had quite a few problems during the event. I guess that's to be expected for 50-60 year old machines.

IMAG2842.jpg
    IMAG2844.jpg

#382 5 years ago

Thanks for putting on a great show this weekend. Just got back from the Sunday event. Had so much fun playing a bunch of machines I had never had the opportunity to play before. Gave me some great ideas on what machines I would like to get, for my first home pinball purchase. Hope they do this again, It was a terrific event, well organized and the staff was super friendly. Well done guys.

#383 5 years ago

Truly fantastic event.

Clay, Eric and crew deserve a HUGE round of applause for the massive effort the last three days took.

Thanks so much for sharing the opportunity.

#384 5 years ago

I camped!

And I can't wait to go back and camp again!

Thank you everyone for all the hard work that went into the event. I had so much fun it was ridiculous.

#385 5 years ago

Pinball Expo co-founder Rob Berk stopped in at the VFW Showcase today with his son. He's seen here chatting with Clay in the repair shop/game hospital.

Screenshot_2014-05-18-21-16-12.png
    #386 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

my carry kit has a tube of genuine Bally MBI Instrument grease which I would lube any noted sticky shooter rods.

I just shot them full of WD40, per Clays direction....

#387 5 years ago

^ LOL

#388 5 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

I just shot them full of WD40, per Clays direction....

I enjoy telling Clay how I use WD-40 on Score Motor switch stacks (each and every switch) as my first step whenever repairing any of the EM's at VFW. I've nicknamed it "Technician in a can". Always spray a little bit extra on the run-on switch as well and hide the fire extinguishers. Watching his face contort and hear him coming up with new curse words is pretty funny.

#389 5 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

I camped!
    And I can't wait to go back and camp again!
    Thank you everyone for all the hard work that went into the event. I had so much fun it was ridiculous.

Yes you did!

He even declined offers of a roof over his head for the night.

#390 5 years ago

Amazing show! My wife and I had a blast. Every game we played was not just in working condition but looked and played perfectly. It was great playing so many titles that I regularly don't get to play. Thank you Clay and to all of the staff involved for putting on one heck of amazing pinball show. Looking forward to coming back for the next event.

#391 5 years ago

A big thanks to Clay for putting this pinball Mecca on the map. An even bigger thanks to all the volunteers and club members who made us visitors feel at home...you could see how proud they were to be a part of this project and seeing so many people enjoying themselves.

I've written up my experience here, its a glowing reveiw...
    http://creditdotpinball.com/2014/05/19/news-vintage-flipper-world-showcase-in-review/

#392 5 years ago

Looks like it was a great show, I couldn't attend this round but will definitely try for the next!

#393 5 years ago

Great show! I can't possibly add to what's already been said except that I will attend every single event that you allow me to. Thanks Clay!

#394 5 years ago

Wow guy's just wow. I was very impressed. I think you can change the title of this thread to Built a better show.

If you missed this show I would highly recommend going to the next one.

Big thanks to the entire staff and volunteers.

Chris

#395 5 years ago

The wife and I enjoyed this show so much it's ridiculous. Really a wonderful place and awesome job by Clay and Co! A note worthy memory was when we played the new Star trek and she asked me a question on the rules. I looked at her funny and said it's the same as the last time you played it at the other show. Then she reminded me that she didn't play it at the other show because she wasn't in the tourney. Another great thing to note was the fact that you could almost walk up to any machine and play it. No waiting for most of the time. And if you did have to wait, you were next, not 3rd or 4th.
    Thanks again for opening up your collection!
    Brian and Cori

#396 5 years ago

I had a great time. As everyone else has mentioned the games were in great shape and the staff was very helpful. It was impressive to see how quick they were able to get a game back up if there was an issue and even cleaning glass when a game was open (like an auto show). Thank you to Clay and all the volunteers!

The VFW website mentioned something about repair workshops. Please keep us posted if / when these happen.

Also, have to brag I put up the GC score on Demo Man early Saturday afternoon.

#397 5 years ago

When is the next one? As much advanced notice as possible please.

#398 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

When is the next one? As much advanced notice as possible please.

If there is another one, Clay and crew will let you know.

Alot of items still need to be calculated up, parts, time installing parts and basic maintenance all need to be considered, not to mention cleaning to house and machines. Time spent is the key factor.

As a member, i had a blast. Nothing better then being part of a great event. Open all day was key for me, i had time to relax between games, do some tailgating and play the titles i love to play multiple times. There wasnt much of a wait for any title, WOZ had the only line behind it, and only peek hours, give or take a minimal wait on dmd titles.

Overall a great time for most attending.

#399 5 years ago

Best. Show. Ever.

Thanks everyone, Clay and all the volunteers, for a couple great days of pinball.

#400 5 years ago

Thanks so much Clay for opening up your collection and all the volunteers for making the event run so smooth. It's really an amazing selection of games, all in excellent working order. Any malfunctions were dealt with immediately.

I spent pretty much the whole day playing early solld states and EMs. Spirit, Iron Maiden, Vector, Gold Strike and Neptune were some favorites of the games I'd never played before. My only issue was not having enough time to play everything! If there's another show I need to plan for the whole weekend instead of just one day.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 159.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 149.00
    $ 114.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    $ 19.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 179.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Hobbit Black Arrow Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 209.99
    There are 429 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside