(Topic ID: 86352)

Building a better Pinball Show (Ann Arbor MI model)

By cfh

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 429 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by boagman
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo (21).JPG
    IMG_5825.JPG
    IMG_5797.JPG
    IMAG0123.jpg
    IMG_1438.JPG
    Screenshot_2014-05-18-21-16-12.png
    IMAG2844.jpg
    IMAG2842.jpg
    20140517_143339.jpg
    spirit.JPG
    Safe Cracker.JPG
    joust-759.JPG
    VFW Line 4.JPG
    VFW Line 3.JPG
    VFw line 2.JPG
    VFW line 1.JPG
    There are 429 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.
    #201 10 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

Except being at a pinball show.........

I'll highlight it again for you "...VAST majority of tournaments.."

Do you need reading glasses to go with those meds you seem to be missing? Or is it really you just spewing ignorance again?

Some people have some biases and will just make @$% up to make themselves feel justified I guess. That or they know one bad apple and think the whole world is that way... either way its total garbage.

#202 10 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I'll highlight it again for you "...VAST majority of tournaments.."

Are still at pinball shows where the public is invited.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Or is it really you just spewing ignorance again?

Ignorance or experience........ as experience being my case, i will call it knowledge.

Quoted from flynnibus:

they know one bad apple and think the whole world is that way...

One bad apple or plenty of bad apples is where i base my argument, what happened to my machine still stands clearly in my memory, the fact that i was alienated by a tourney player and his abuse of my machine is still being completely ignored by the likes of yourself.

But please, keep considering yourself as "gods gift of all pinball" as most consider you a pos. tourney player who thinks he is better then the rest of us.

#203 10 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

Are still at pinball shows where the public is invited.

Ignorance or experience........ as experience being my case, i will call it knowledge.

Let's stick with ignorance...
    US Shows in 2014 (from pinball news' list)
    Florida Arcade & Pinball Exposition
    Ohio Show
    Louisville
    Texas PF
    MPE
    RockyMtn
    Midwest Gaming Classic
    Zapcon
    PATZ
    Allentown
    PAGG
    VFW
    NWPinball
    Southern Fried Expo
    CalExtreme
    York
    Expo
    Houston
    Florida

So that is 19 shows/expos in the US this year. Many of which will have tournaments as part of their billing (14 by PN's labeling). But even if we assume PN's labeling is wrong.. and EVERY show has a tournament. That's 19.

IFPA has 242 tournaments listed for the remainder of the year.. and that's only 3/4 of the year.

Last I checked... 19 is not a 'vast majority' of 240+.

Quoted from JDubbbs:

One bad apple or plenty of bad apples is where i base my argument, what happened to my machine still stands clearly in my memory, the fact that i was alienated by a tourney player and his abuse of my machine is still being completely ignored by the likes of yourself.

So you plainly admit to stereotyping and being unable to get past what one person did. Add that to your awareness of what goes on outside your bubble and we can clearly see how little your opinion really reflects reality.

Quoted from JDubbbs:

But please, keep considering yourself as "gods gift of all pinball" as most consider you a pos. tourney player who thinks he is better then the rest of us.

Looks like it's time to get another refill from the doctor.... you're 'that guy' again.

1 week later
    #204 10 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Also there's the problem of "show whores"

Well, I plan on going, so you haven't entirely solved that problem anyway.

#205 10 years ago

I am in - can't wait!!

#206 10 years ago

Should be a lot of fun. After looking over the list, it seems like a pretty comprehensive experience.

#207 10 years ago

Yes we are attempting a different type of show. I hope it works, and that we can continue in the future with this model. If we can't get good community support, it could be a "one and done." The idea of limited entry, to keep a one-to-one game/person ratio, top quality games and titles, without begging people to bring games, is unique. We're just not sure how it will be received. My guess would be everyone would like the ideas, but it's hard to get people to like something they have no experience with.

We are trying to market the show only to pinball enthusiasts, versus the general public. This may be a mistake in terms of volume. But we wanted a show for enthusiasts, by enthusiasts. This idea may be flawed though, because frankly, there's not that many of "us" in close proximity to the venue. Also judging by the names of people getting tickets, we're not seeing as many of the local collector community as we hoped. So we're missing the mark, and not really sure why.

It may be because we are not asking for people to bring games. The "I'm bring a game" thing may create an energy that we need. We were Hoping the tailgating aspect of the venue would help. But that idea of tailgating and selling junk out of the back of your car at a pinball show again is pretty different, and hasn't gained traction.

#208 10 years ago

My advice is that the biggest obstacle you are facing is the time of the year of the show.

It is the start of nice weather and even though I LOVE pinball, you will be hard pressed to get me to even attend a local show for the next 4 months, let alone travel any distance to go to a show.

Throw the next one in early November (or even October) and I will bet your attendance is much different.

#209 10 years ago

The only reason that neither I nor my coworkers can attend is the limited hours.

The show does not run late enough to allow us to get some time in to be worthwhile (retail managers know what I'm talking about).

Otherwise it looks like a great show.

#210 10 years ago

Bought tickets for myself and 2 of my friends for Sunday. Really looking forward to this show and the experience to play a lot of pins I have never played before as well as a pin I haven't played since my teen years, Safecracker!

I like to add that Whysnow has a good point on the time of year for affecting potential attendance. Colder months would get high priority for indoor entertainment. Once this expo is done, my focus is to enjoy family outdoor activities as much as we can. Putting pinball aside till it gets colder.

#211 10 years ago

The problem with that is there's only four weekends in April and two have Michigan shows. The fall isnt any better...

#212 10 years ago

There is always Feb or March which tend to be good cold weather times but also decent for travel so people can make it. Post holidays, Pre spring break, and kind of a lull in the year. Early March with ample warning would be perfect IMHO.

Since you dont have to deal with loadin/out then use it to your advantage to optimize the crappy weather months which other shows avoid.

#213 10 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Yes we are attempting a different type of show. I hope it works, and that we can continue in the future with this model. If we can't get good community support, it could be a "one and done."

I hope this is not a one and done. You may not get what you want out of this show but you will know the things you need to change to make it a better show for next time. You are building on a solid foundation in my opinion so keep moving forward and make any needed adjustments as long as it still fit's the vision. Good Luck! I will get a ticket now in the off chance I can make it. Great finally meeting you guy's this weekend.

#214 10 years ago

I have tickets for sat, are there more left for sat? I know a couple that might like to go but don't visit this site.

#215 10 years ago

As an event planner, never judge the success (or lack there of) by just one attempt. You have the right idea... it's just a matter of adapting that idea to what the general public wants. You'll know that after this first time. I say that, and I'm all in for the Friday timeframe.

#216 10 years ago
    Quoted from Thunder424:

As an event planner, never judge the success (or lack there of) by just one attempt. You have the right idea... it's just a matter of adapting that idea to what the general public wants. You'll know that after this first time. I say that, and I'm all in for the Friday timeframe.

This... Sounds like you have something unique, but cover the basics of what people want in a show. Don't be afraid to go back on some things you are standing firm on and make some changes. Free-play, vendors, flea market and a tourney... people will come!

#217 10 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

We are trying to market the show only to pinball enthusiasts, versus the general public. This may be a mistake in terms of volume. But we wanted a show for enthusiasts, by enthusiasts. This idea may be flawed though, because frankly, there's not that many of "us" in close proximity to the venue. Also judging by the names of people getting tickets, we're not seeing as many of the local collector community as we hoped. So we're missing the mark, and not really sure why.

Just a reminder, your thread topic, is "a better pinball show".

How will we know if it is better? What will be the measure of sucess?

(attendance? happy people? if the second show is bigger? new people introduced to our hobby?)

otherwise, free bump.

I plan to attend your show. Looking forward to it.

#218 10 years ago

Tickets purchased for Sat. May 17th---paypal
    Greatly looking forward to this.
    Will the tickets come in the mail?

#219 10 years ago
    Quoted from cheesewhisperer:

Will the tickets come in the mail?

Print out your paypal receipt, that's your ticket.

I'll be there Sat. as well.

#220 10 years ago

Firstly, I've made do without a printer for fifteen years. I almost never needed it---so every time I DID need it, the ink was dried.
    So, lets assume I can get a friend to print my paypal receipt for two tickets...
    I would then turn it in at the door to obtain two tickets with door prize #s on them?

#221 10 years ago

I almost never needed it---so every time I DID need it, the ink was dried.

Never buy an inkjet printer.

Laser printers never dry up, print waterproof, and only need a refill for home use every 2 or more years.

#222 9 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Yep - I'm certainly not local, but I'll be there. Looking forward to it!

- Tim

#223 9 years ago

My daughter and I are looking forward to it - she loves pinball and is eagerly anticipating trying all the different games even though I pointed out that there would be no way for her to play all 200+ of them all in one day.

#224 9 years ago

Just a sincere question here-- no hidden agenda. Did the price of a Saturday ticket go up to $25.00 from $20.00 or has it always been $20.00?

#225 9 years ago

It's always been $25 for Saturday...

#226 9 years ago

I know my two tickets on Friday were $20 each. I know when I bought them (2 weeks) ago, there was a $5 premium on Saturday.

#227 9 years ago
    Quoted from redman822:

It's always been $25 for Saturday...

Thanks. Makes sense since it's the biggest chunk of time on what is probably the best day for people to go. It's certainly the best day for me to go that weekend. Ticket purchased. Thanks again.

#229 9 years ago

vfw_showflyer1.jpgvfw_showflyer1.jpg

#230 9 years ago

I've made a list of games I need to play before deciding my next purchase. This trip should be of enormous help. .

#231 9 years ago

I've made a list of games I need to play before deciding my next purchase. This trip should be of enormous help. .

I'm thinking the same thing... lots of top titles to play and compare.

Great job on the flyer! Definitely something I would be interested in purchasing when I'm there.

#232 9 years ago

Going to the Motor City Comic Con that Saturday morning/afternoon, followed by a Night at the Museum. Good times!

#233 9 years ago

Just ordered my tickets for Saturday and am looking forward to going to the show. Came down to this or Allentown since they are both roughly the same distance for me. I know Allentown has good deals with the flea market and vendors but figured this should be better for playing machines.

#234 9 years ago

Looking forward to the show, I know myself and two local guys are driving 4+ hours to make it there. Can't wait!

#235 9 years ago

Not everyone lives near Ann Arbor Michigan to enjoy. Pinball shows are once a year. If you bring a pin to the show, you're only moving them once a year. If you are worried about damaging your game.. then don't bring it out. I enjoy the museum idea. Pinball heaven. But pinball shows have their own spot and people seem to still enjoy them regardless.

It seems like this post was pointed towards the recent PATZ show. There were in fact a lot of games brought that was either not working or weak flippers, or No GI etc. but they were also selling these games as well.

#236 9 years ago

Gary from Able Electronics will be at the show and will have a WOZ for the event. Thank you very much Gary for your continuous support to the pinball community.

Scott

#237 9 years ago

Roger did a nice poster for us.

vfw_poster1.jpgvfw_poster1.jpg
    #238 9 years ago

Tickets purchased! My wife and I will be there Sunday. Looking forward to the event.

Both posters look awesome! Top one is my favorite so far.

#239 9 years ago
    Quoted from MiSC90:

Gary from Able Electronics will be at the show and will have a WOZ for the event.

I was hoping I'd get a chance to see a WOZ on this trip. Your news makes me very happy.

#240 9 years ago

Haven't bought my tickets yet but plan to for Sunday. Looking forward to the event.. I donated awhile back and never had a chance to make it. Are there anymore T-shirts left?

#241 9 years ago

I think it's great that there are a variety of events for different types of pinball fans. In the last couple years my interest has shifted more toward tournaments, but an event like this with so many quality titles in good repair is definitely a major draw for me. It will be nice to just play a bunch of nice games and have fun without worrying about competition, dumping money in entries, etc.

Can't wait to check out your collection, Clay. The game list is really impressive and photos of the place look awesome. I hope the open house is a huge success and is the first of many to follow.

#242 9 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

Can't wait to check out your collection, Clay. The game list is really impressive

where is that list I lost track of it? maybe re-post the link thanks

#244 9 years ago

The Jackson crew will be there on Saturday. Impressive game list. Looking forward to the event.

#245 9 years ago
    Quoted from Choggard:

Are there anymore T-shirts left?

There will be a very limited supply of our first run of shirts;

VFW Pinball Olive Grey-848.jpgVFW Pinball Olive Grey-848.jpg

I posted for interest in shirts a bit ago, and haven't had much of any response. So, whatever we have left will be all we have for sale.

Thanks,
    Eric

P.S. That is, unless others chime in here for T-shirts? We could do a emergency rush order for more....

#246 9 years ago

I'd love an Olive XL. I'll be there Friday.

#247 9 years ago

I would buy one of either color in XXL if there are any on Saturday.

#248 9 years ago

I'll be there for the event and I never got my Kickstarter T (I live in Chicago) - looking for a Olive green XXL - hope one is still left.

#249 9 years ago

how much $.. I may be interested..

#250 9 years ago

I'll be there tonight and do a count of the remaining t shirts. If we were to do a second run the approximate cost would be around $15.

Thanks,
    Eric

There are 429 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-a-better-pinball-show-ann-arbor-mi-model/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.