(Topic ID: 86352)

Building a better Pinball Show (Ann Arbor MI model)

By cfh

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 429 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by boagman
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo (21).JPG
    IMG_5825.JPG
    IMG_5797.JPG
    IMAG0123.jpg
    IMG_1438.JPG
    Screenshot_2014-05-18-21-16-12.png
    IMAG2844.jpg
    IMAG2842.jpg
    20140517_143339.jpg
    spirit.JPG
    Safe Cracker.JPG
    joust-759.JPG
    VFW Line 4.JPG
    VFW Line 3.JPG
    VFw line 2.JPG
    VFW line 1.JPG
    There are 429 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.
    #101 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

The negative talk about competitive play here is disappointing. Pinball is a game. If you want a less competitive hobby, take up stamp collecting.

About the same as all the negative talk about not having a tourney, quite discouraging at best. The fact that Clay wants to run a show without something every other show has and tourney players have hit him hard over it, well you miss the point also.

Even i like some competition but cannot see past the point that it does take away from other players attending the show in the form of games not available and other factors. You're right, Pinball is just a game, but it dont always have to be about who is the best. People shouldnt be expected to cater to the few while ignoring the rest. And this is the point of all the hatred being sent his way about his show and his machines in his building.

#102 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

The negative talk about competitive play here is disappointing. Pinball is a game. If you want a less competitive hobby, take up stamp collecting.

I just want to have fun beating a ball around inside of a mechanical toy. If you want to compete, more power to you: But I'm competing against the machine if at all.

#103 10 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

The fact that Clay wants to run a show without something every other show has and tourney players have hit him hard over it, well you miss the point also.

Who's hitting him hard? He's the one who's taking shots at bigger tournaments. I attend shows where I don't compete in the tournament. PAGG for the last two years. I've seen several great players there that also didn't compete in the tournament. Guys like Rick Stetta, NES and Keith Elwin. A casual tournament is not a deal breaker for going to a show. If the show is good, players will attend. Bashing larger tournaments will not increase attendance at his show.

Quoted from tamoore:

But I'm competing against the machine if at all.

Do you look at the score when you're done? If yes, you're competing against yourself. Nothing wrong with that, but technically, you are competing.

#104 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

You like hearing about struggles? Not me. This is my hobby. No point in dwelling on the negatives. The variety found in all the different shows is a good thing. There will never be a single 'perfect' way to run a show. Don't look at where shows struggle, look at where they succeed and try to emulate that.

You are inventing problems where there are none. please don't twist things around for your own benefit. I said i liked hearing about "struggles AND solutions." I would hardly call that negative. Also i'm not bashing any shows. There's problems in the current show system, i'm identifying them and coming up with solutions. If they're solutions you don't like, so be it. but again you're causing problems and instilling hostility where there should be none.

That all aside, all the tournament guys in this thread prove my points every time they post. The reason we don't want high end competitive tourneys at our event is proved every time you guys complain. We want to have fun, you guys want to get paid with your tournament system. That's fine, but you're not doing at our event. high end tourneys, in our eye, are part of the problem with shows, not the solution. If you don't like our ideas then don't attend. it's that simple, but stop causing problems and twisting words. I'm sorry you don't like our show ideas. All that is required by you is to attend or not attend. It's that simple. The complaining is just demonstrating the reasons we want to bypass tournaments. The constant tourney baby sitting, locking games away from the masses, tourney complaining, and lack of sense of humor/fun makes it really clear to us why the whole thing needs to be avoided.

#105 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Who's hitting him hard? He's the one who's taking shots at bigger tournaments. I attend shows where I don't compete in the tournament. PAGG for the last two years. I've seen several great players there that also didn't compete in the tournament. Guys like Rick Stetta, NES and Keith Elwin. A casual tournament is not a deal breaker for going to a show. If the show is good, players will attend. Bashing larger tournaments will not increase attendance at his show.

Reread the post brother...... I wont go to a show without a tourney comments are littered throughout this thread.

In regards of taking shots, how can a problem be fixed if the problem cannot be identified without butt hurt and feelings involved ? Every show has their problems, i see nothing wrong with asking like he has.

#106 10 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

That all aside, all the tournament guys in this thread prove my points every time they post. The reason we don't want high end competitive tourneys at our event is proved every time you guys complain.

You started it.

Quoted from cfh:

My opinion, but I feel the attitude of some tourney players is that the rest of us aren't worthy of the top games.

Quoted from cfh:

As for the "worthy" comment, i am sorry, but this is how i feel with a lot of tourney players. often they demand more than anyone else, whine and bitch about situations that can't be controlled, and generally are a PIA.

If you would've just said you were having a casual tournament and left it at that, you would've been fine. That's how PAGG does it. Instead you implied that your format was better than other tournaments and bashed tournament players. Good luck with the show.

#107 10 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

Reread the post brother...... I wont go to a show without a tourney comments are littered throughout this thread.

Littered? I see one. Did I miss others?

There were three or more world class players at PAGG the last couple of years that didn't compete in the tourney. PPE became the same way as it went on. As players started noticing how much the show was taking out of the pot, players stopped playing in the tourney and still attended the show. Not as many traveled long distances, but all the west coast guys (BC to San Diego) went because the overall show was good. Even tourney players know a good show is a good show. It's rarely all about the tourney.

#108 10 years ago

Again you all just proving my points to a "T", thank you for that. I stand by my feelings of "payday" high end tournaments and how they bring the worst of pinball to shows. High end tourneys (and a lot of the payday hi tension folk that come with it) are part of the problem, not a solution. That's how we feel and we refuse to play into those whom are just looking for reasons to get paid and to complain. We're trying to have fun, others are looking to get paid. That's fine but its not gonna happen at our show. We will still have tournaments but not big payday things. Casual and fun, which is what a lot of people like in our parts.

#109 10 years ago

I've been in the hobby a while, playing tournaments for about a year, and will freely admit that's what attracts me most to a show. Competitive pinball is what I enjoy most about the hobby. That said, I would jump at the chance to play Clay's collection, tournament or not. His guides are what got me into the hobby 15 years ago and it's well documented how helpful they were (and are!)

The point I'm taking from this discussion is that I'm just glad the hobby is thriving enough where we have enough shows to even have this debate! I'm not sure anyone would have thought that not so long ago.

Best of luck with your show!

#110 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Littered? I see one. Did I miss others?

Look outside the box Phish....... Most of the complaints are coming from tourney players who feel slighted that a tourney isnt an option with this show.

Quoted from phishrace:

There were three or more world class players at PAGG the last couple of years that didn't compete in the tourney.

Good for Kieth, Neil and Rick about not competing in their own backyard, but as it goes, who wants their dog to chit in their own backyard ? Maybe with them 3 stepping aside, more of your local players would participate instead of having the "donation mentality" that *MAY* limit that shows tourney numbers or attendance. Maybe a special favor from the tourney directors to boost their numbers ? Seems strange Kieth and Neil travel thousands of miles to compete yearly, but yet not in their own backyard !!!!!!!!! See Phish, we can all spin our opinions.

Quoted from phishrace:

You started it..

Sticks and stones.............. do we really need to go there ? I would believe %99 of us are adults, lets keep it civil.

Most tourney players are forgetting one main thing in this debate, its the casual players who keep their scores, run the tourney and show and provide the games. I dont blame Clay for defending the no tourney option, theres no benefit for him to bother with a tourney just to fill the hall. People will still come, all games will be available and a relaxed event will follow. Simple as that brother.

#111 10 years ago

I guess I should have said that I currently won't go to a show without a tourney. The reason for this is because my funds for pinball travel are limited so I have to prioritize what events I travel to based on how they fit into a larger picture. I enjoy playing in tournaments so shows with tournaments get higher priority than those that don't have tournaments. Additionally, I don't aim to "get paid" playing pinball but if a tournament can offset the cost of the trip, then that makes me more likely to attend. Of course the reason I go is to have fun playing pinball (both in tournaments and out) and to hang out with my out-of-town pinball friends. If money was no object and I could afford to go to anything I wanted to, I would absolutely go to quality shows that don't have tournaments. As phishrace mentioned earlier, anyone can see that a good show is a good show, tournament or not. It's unfortunately just not something I can really do right now.

With all that said, I don't know a single competitive pinball player who is in it to "get paid". For real, if you asked me to name one I honestly couldn't. Everyone I know is there for the love of the game and the thrill of competition. Running a show with no "serious" tournament is totally fine and I understand Clay's reasons for wanting to do so, even if I don't necessarily agree with them personally. However, it really bothers me that tournament players are getting slammed so hard in this thread. Maybe tournament players are all dicks (including myself) and I'm just oblivious to it. I just don't think that's the case, though.

#112 10 years ago

With the rise in competitive pinball I would like to see more competitions where entries actually help to offset the other aspects of the show rather than as large payouts to the winner.

I continue to realize that those that care about the competition are in it for the fun and the IFPA points and the $$$ don't really mean that much. Because of this I try to make payouts and trophies go deeper when I can fro the small events I put on.

To me it only seems appropriate that big events could siphon off from the prize pool of competitions in order to help pay for things like score keepers, people to load in/out games, people to pickup games and transport within X mile radius, and the similar. One important thing Clay has pointed out is that as games become more expensive it only seems right to help offset the potential damage and strain for those that bring them. Without the volunteers ad game bringers the shows would not happen. In fact, there are a few shows that seem to have much fewer games over the past few years (Expo for 1 was a dramatic change from 2012 to 2013) and organizers may need to think about how to better incentivize if they want to bring in more games. I will say that I really like how Clay is limiting the total # of tickets sold also. It seems he has hit the nail on the head with that one also... Too many people = not as much fun per person.

I went to MPE last year and said I would not go back this year due to how crowded it was vs. # of good playing games. Thursday was fun last year, but Fri through Sat there were too many people for my tastes.

I think other show organizers should think about what is the optimal game to people ratio and how t best take care of the people that are even making the show possible >> those that bring games to share with others.

For example, I love MGC but a big reason is that by bringing a game I get to be part of the after party where the game to people ratio is 1 to 1. The only way in the after party is to have brought a game. This is a big enough draw for me to want to not only bring a game but to also help out wherever I can. I think if a few of the bigger shows do not figure out how to get more games and keep them playing then there will be no competition to even worry about.

#113 10 years ago

Lots of good points mr. Snow. I know you're not into the "get paid" aspect, but a lot of people are. Look at the post ahead of yours where they say not for the money, but it's nice to get money to offset costs. Translation is "getting paid" is important.

I say this because we are having tourneys at the Ann Arbor show. It's not like we weren't gonna have any. Just we're using Em and early SS games. And entry/payout will be chump change at best. And it wont take games out of the masses access. And it will be super casual and self running. So why are some complaining?? Again, they want to get paid. After all if money didnt matter, why would anyone possibly complain about this low entry/low payout theme? If you're just in it for fun it wouldn't matter. And every time a complaint about the lack of "meaningful prizes" comes up, it just furthers the point that money or some arbitrary wpr points are what's driving the train.

I don't mean to sound like a broken record but it just seems like this point is being missed. Again if this tourney style doesn't work for someone, just go to a show with a tourney that is better suited to their style.

#114 10 years ago
    Quoted from KevinDDR:

With all that said, I don't know a single competitive pinball player who is in it to "get paid".

So you would go if the prize package at $5 a game would be 1st place.... trophy, bragging rights and a dinner for one at the bar down the road, 2nd place, VFW swag and 3rd place.... One free visit to VFW ?????????? With the show taking in all the proceeds to pay the people behind the scenes, scorekeepers, game suppliers and director ?

Quoted from KevinDDR:

However, it really bothers me that tournament players are getting slammed so hard in this thread. Maybe tournament players are all dicks (including myself) and I'm just oblivious to it. I just don't think that's the case, though.

Slammed or slighted ? It really bothers me that Clay trying to come up with ideas about having a non tourney show is getting slammed for asking advice for what NOT to do that happens at other shows. Even worse, the slamming of his proposed format by tourney players. Believe me, i do play in tourneys, but its not my main goal to attend JUST for the tourney. ( http://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?player_id=1625 ) Some want to basically enjoy the game without the added stress, meet some people and mingle around the masses, see what vendors have to offer, see what other collectors have done to their games. Learn some tricks and teach some also.

And to think i wasnt offended when IFPA held their invite only tourney and the casual player was left out in the cold. More power to their system, it still doesnt mean i will get an invite no more than its Clays duty to provide a tourney for them few.........

ScarWorldisYours.jpgScarWorldisYours.jpg
    #115 10 years ago
    Quoted from KevinDDR:

With all that said, I don't know a single competitive pinball player who is in it to "get paid". For real, if you asked me to name one I honestly couldn't. Everyone I know is there for the love of the game and the thrill of competition.

Really? You mean to tell me that those who fly across part of the Country to a show and spend virtually the entire show hours in the tournament are not doing it for the money? How about those that fly over to Europe from the United States. They're just doing it "for the love of pinball" (Just like Jack started JJP "for the love of pinball", sorry, I couldn't resist) Sure, believe whatever you want. I say they are doing it for the money and I refuse to line their pockets. I only play when a tournament entry is "included" (notice I did not say "free") with a show admission package.

#116 10 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Maybe you guys hadn't heard of Star Gazer until two years ago, but it's been an expensive game (for its era) in the midwest for most of the last decade, thanks in large part to Duncan Brown bringing an immaculate clearcoated one to Expo.
    I now return you to your regularly scheduled debate.

Right you are Yancy. I believe that Duncan first brought his Star Gazer to Chicago Expo in 2003, or at least that is the first time I played it. After that show, it seemed like anyone looking for classic Stern games had Star Gazer tops on their want to buy list.

#117 10 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

So why are some complaining?? Again, they want to get paid. After all if money didnt matter, why would anyone possibly complain about this low entry/low payout theme?

Try finding people complaining about your choice of format or payouts or tournament itself in this thread. You'll be hard to find any. The 'complaining' you are mentioning is actually people responding to the ragging, stereotyping, and general hate you've been throwing at others in an attempt at painting your event as the solution to world hunger.

If you just said a tournament isn't something we are interested in being the focus.. no one would have blinked an eye. But instead, you got up on the soapbox and painted tournament players as the scourge of the earth. And the hysterical part is now days later you continue to paint those you've slandered as the ones who started it all.

#118 10 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

Quoted from JDubbbs:

Look outside the box Phish....... Most of the complaints are coming from tourney players who feel slighted that a tourney isnt an option with this show.

Buhaha.. "read outside the box". There was one guy (kevinDDR) who said he wouldn't goto a show without a tourney, and one guy (chadderack) who said he needs more than games+a few parts to justify traveling to a show. The rest is made up in your head. All the other posts were in response to the misconceptions, falsehoods, and general stereotyping by yourself and others. Basically a few called a whole group of people really negative things and used BS to justify it. The posts were in response to overall stupidity like the stuff posted by PinballHelp and the picture Clay was painting.

Quoted from JDubbbs:

Most tourney players are forgetting one main thing in this debate, its the casual players who keep their scores, run the tourney and show and provide the games

More useless stereotyping based on falsehoods. Many tourneys tend to be self-sustaining for the most part to stay out of the hair of the general organizers. Games being brought specifically for the tourney, staff, etc. Not sucking away from the main show against people's will or something. Most of the crying in this thread can be summed up as people upset that a tournament is keeping something away from them because they don't want to play. It's really no different then vendors keeping games in their booth away from the free play areas.

#119 10 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I apologize if the trash talk was too fierce. it was all in fun and not more than that. Todd your partner got the jokes and even played along. I don't remember any f bombs however. If there was f bombs again i apologize it was all meant to be fun. it seems like it was a casual expo brawl (note the word "brawl" in the title) and everyone was having fun. We all were ribbing each other pretty good from what I remember. There was no need to take it seriously, as no one else was. I think any time one of the best players in the world gets grouped with a zero player like us, yea you're gonna catch some grief. Best to just roll with it like everyone else was. Just a suggestion but its only pinball and its supposed to be brawling fun. Taking something so seriously as that is, well, goofy. After all were playing for "G" division and possibly the worst trophy ever. It wasn't like there was anything on the line.

No sweat buddy, let's go get a drink together next time, and we should also have a dance-off. I'll try and do better the next time, I guess that accusations of sandbagging rub me the wrong way!

Best wishes to the new show, and Brawl on. Actually that might be a fun format for your show, maybe a draw-your-partner or must-drink-a-shot-after-each-ball affair...

#120 10 years ago

Nice one sided rant, but again, not my experience with tourneys and (some of its) players. Ive volunteered my time and games for MPE (IN THE PAST), ive heard the complaints, seen the damage and poor sportsmanship. Ive had to answer to the general public why the newest sterns and the nicest games were not available for free play sitting idle all while the entire floor was 4 people deep per game. The fact that you take a blind eye to that is insulting at best.

Quoted from flynnibus:

It's really no different then vendors keeping games in their booth away from the free play areas.

Hmmmmmm, i wonder why !!!!!!!

Quoted from flynnibus:

Most of the crying in this thread can be summed up as people upset that a tournament is keeping something away from them because they don't want to play.

And the rest of the crying is from players like yourself who feel slighted that an entire row of the best machines arent set aside for you all to abuse and collect donations from the casual player who just wants to make an informed purchase on their next title that happens to be in tourney row. Its really hard to explain why it cost $5 for one play when the ticket they bought for admission says free play !!

#121 10 years ago

Wish I could go and help out at the show, but it seems the date of the show is going to conflict with the Detroit Pinball League finals that weekend, and I am already way over my personal time budget for pinball to family ratio.

Have fun pinheads.

#122 10 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

No sweat buddy, let's go get a drink together next time, and we should also have a dance-off. I'll try and do better the next time, I guess that accusations of sandbagging rub me the wrong way!
    Best wishes to the new show, and Brawl on. Actually that might be a fun format for your show, maybe a draw-your-partner or must-drink-a-shot-after-each-ball affair...

A dance off would be great fun! beer and pinball is always great fun too. See, you just have to lighten up a bit and "let it go" and the farce will be with you. never ever take yourself too seriously and roll with us pinball playing self deprecating idiots. by the way, i'm a light weight with beer. so you should be able to take me good on the dance off after a few beers. Actually no, you'll never take me on the pinball dance off. my legend as a pinball dance off dude goes long and far. i can not be beat in a pinball dance off.

i would love to do the drinking/pinball tourney thing. unfortunately my insurance agent doesn't have the same sense of humor as i. so there may be a problem with that format. meaning i can't personally take this mission, but that doesn't mean some other goof balls can't do it. hint hint...

#123 10 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Simply put, people go to pinball shows for one big reason, the games. With arcades nearly non-existent, pinball shows put together a lot of games in one location at one time. The problem is, they are doing it "ass backward."

Clay,
    Are kids 12 and under welcome to attend?

Do they pay the same price?
    (20 - 25 per day)

Our friends have children, and would like to attend.

otherwise, thread bump, and see you at your show

#124 10 years ago

everyone pays the same price there are no discounts. kids are welcome but they pay to come and must be with their parents at all times. (if kids are found unattended, the parents will be rustled up and that party asked to leave.) This prevents the tim arnold phof effect as i call it, where people bring kids (because they are free/cheap) that don't really have an interest in pinball. which causes other negative effects/behavior. we are trying to avoid that. our goal is to make the show as good for the show goer as possible, hence the limited number of tickets. having to pay $20 or $25 for a kid means chances are excellent that the kid actually has interest in pinball. And they just aren't there as "tag alongs" because the parents wanted to come, and didn't want to pay for a baby sitter at home.

as you can see we are trying to make a show that provides the best possible experience for everyone. unlike a lot of other shows that just "pack them in", we are not playing that way. trying to maintain a 1-to-1 game/person ratio, good quality games and lots of them, and people that want to have fun is our goal. if we loose some ticket sales because of this approach, because someone isn't willing to pay $20 entrance for their 8 year old, so be it.

Food and soda pop will be available at our outside area. No food or drink inside please. if you want to bring your own food/snacks that is fine, there's plenty of outside beautiful areas to snack among the apple trees. just please don't bring anything inside. this keeps the game areas cleaner.

There are some great restaurants in the area too. the best is Zingermans in Ann Arbor. Rated one of the top delis in the United States. I go there every week, it's an outstanding place. Not cheap, but i find it reasonable. Their latte/coffee stuff is incredible. In fact Ann Arbor is a pretty darn cool town. Just bring change for the parking meters, as they do monitor that stuff (except in the evenings and sundays.)

#125 10 years ago

Let me start off by saying that I do not attend pinball shows because of tournaments, mostly because I am a terrible player. I mostly like playing games that I have never played before.

Has anyone really looked into the legality of hosting these high dollar tournaments? If you look into the law, isn’t it technically considered gambling because it’s a “pay to play” system? Only the state lottery and a select few nonprofit charities and allowed to do this and they are regulated by the state. That’s why when you see, for example, the McDonalds’ Monopoly sweepstakes advertisements that they always say “no purchase necessary” since you buying the meal is a “pay to play” system. McDonalds’ always has forms that you can join their contest and mail in and join without buying any of their products to get around that. I guess you could argue that the high dollar tournaments are a completion, but I really think it’s still a “pay to play” system still applies.

If the final prize is given by a sponsor and the money you pay into goes toward the use/wear of the machines during the completion, that’s a way you could skirt around it. Yet I feel high dollar buy-ins would really need to be questioned since the price to play seems over the value what typical wear and tear would be on a machine and the machines that are used are typically donated by people who never receive the compensation for use of their machines.

Lastly, one of the biggest problems with these high dollar tournaments is that the show promoter may advertise the games included in the tournaments as games being brought to the show for the public (general admission) and once you get there and pay your admission you realize the games you came to play are roped off. It could really put a bad taste in your mouth and I think game lists should be broken down by tournament and public games.

It’s just something you need to consider when planning these events.

#126 10 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

everyone pays the same price there are no discounts. kids are welcome but they pay to come and must be with their parents at all times. (if kids are found unattended, the parents will be rustled up and that party asked to leave.)

Clay and I have talked at length about kid attendance. I’m sure what Clay meant to say is that if kids are found unattended, the parents will be rustled up and will be reminded of the requirement that their kids need to be supervised at all times. Clearly, if someone is constantly breaking any of the admittance requirements (or the transgression is severe) they will be asked to leave.

BTW: If your bringing a younger child (as in not very tall) be sure to bring your own step stool, as there will not be any available for general use.

Doug D.

#127 10 years ago
    Quoted from nsduprr:

I’m sure what Clay meant to say is that if kids are found unattended,

They will be given a bag of candy, a large soda and a puppy!

#128 10 years ago

having helped out at MPE a significant number of hours for the past 2 years, this looks like it could be a great event and viable alternative to shows like MPE and PatZ. checking to see if the gf is down with this so that I can order my tickets soon

Quoted from GrueLurks:

They will be given a bag of candy, a large soda and a puppy!

I thought that puppies were only given out with orders from PBL

#129 10 years ago

"Give me a beer or the puppy gets it", that's our motto.

Actually unattended kids will be asked to "go get some honey" from the bee hives at the back of the property.

#130 10 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

Ive had to answer to the general public why the newest sterns and the nicest games were not available for free play sitting idle all while the entire floor was 4 people deep per game. The fact that you take a blind eye to that is insulting at best.

Why those games are 'over there' is a localized problem - not a general one. Get out some more. Why are they in the tournament is usually a choice of the game's owner. Really sounds like sour grapes to me..

Quoted from JDubbbs:

And the rest of the crying is from players like yourself who feel slighted that an entire row of the best machines arent set aside for you all to abuse and collect donations from the casual player who just wants to make an informed purchase on their next title that happens to be in tourney row. Its really hard to explain why it cost $5 for one play when the ticket they bought for admission says free play !!

All I can say is you are delusional. Get some help.

#131 10 years ago
    Quoted from mikedetroit:

Let me start off by saying that I do not attend pinball shows because of tournaments, mostly because I am a terrible player. I mostly like playing games that I have never played before.
    Has anyone really looked into the legality of hosting these high dollar tournaments?

It's hard to make generalizations because this is a local/state issue... but the most common differentiation you see is 'if the house takes a cut'. For instance, in most places its allowed to have a cash poker game at your house.. as long as you the organizer does not take a cut of the stakes or winnings.

But lets face it... only a handful of payouts in the country would anyone consider 'high dollar'. Contrary to some beliefs posted here... people aren't in it to 'get paid'. If they are, they have picked the wrong sport! Most payouts don't cover people's own expenses. A net of a couple hundred dollars isn't supporting anyone's lifestyle.

#132 10 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

PAPA just ran the world's largest pinball tournament a week ago, and half the machines in the tournament were from 1984 or earlier. One-fourth of the machines were EMs. Three-fourths of the machines were from 1993 or earlier.
    The person you just fired at worked his ass off for weeks to prepare this event for hundreds of people, many of whom were competing in their-first ever pinball tournament, and he knows a pantload about how to prepare and play SS and EM machines.
    Pinburgh, and all competitive pinball, is not just for the upper echelon, otherwise it can and deservedly will die out.

You guys need to loosen up your panties.. seriously. I wasn't criticizing PAPA. I was just pointing out that not every region in the area can sustain "PAPA-style" competition (in fact, you all turned us down here in New Orleans because we weren't "big enough" for you... we could only host 50+ people at our tournaments and that was beneath the PAPA circuit). And not everybody who wants to play competitive pinball takes it as seriously as you do Bowen.

The fact is, there is a need for more "friendly" competition around the country (especially in areas such as ours where there is no thriving pinball scene and we have to create it from the ground up), involving types of tournaments and games that give EVERY DAY PEOPLE a realistic chance to feel like they can win and do well in a tournament. The people that may eventually end up at large PAPA-style events could be the guys (and girls) who have fun in low-pressure, local tournaments that involve more-basic playing of pinball. This is the point I'm making. As Clay pointed out... it's not a dig at high-level events and a condemnation of deep-ruleset pinball machines in tournaments. It's a question of whether or not just any type of pinball machine or tournament format works in such a way as to introduce NEW PEOPLE TO THE SPORT.

Let me illustrate what I mean with a specific real-world example that happened to us...

We were invited to bring some games to a local sci-fi convention and host a tournament. We brought a Dr. Who and a "Hotdoggin" (which we re-named "space-Hotdoggin'" in jest to make it jive with the sci-fi theme). We were hoping to introduce new people to pinball. The event was IFPA sanctioned, and as such attracted more serious competitors too. And the newbies who wanted to play Dr. Who in the tournament had no chance against the seasoned competitors who knew the ruleset and tricks to score big points. However, the early Bally solid-state game, ended up being an equalizer and one young guy who showed up to play did really well in the tournament, and has come back to compete more. The others who had their asses handed to them probably never played another game since. Had we used all modern games, none of the newbies would have had a chance.

#133 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

The fact is, there is a need for more "friendly" competition around the country (especially in areas such as ours where there is no thriving pinball scene and we have to create it from the ground up), involving types of tournaments and games that give EVERY DAY PEOPLE a realistic chance to feel like they can win and do well in a tournament.

Many tournaments I've seen have divisions just for this reason. You're placed in a division with people of your skill. I also know there are some tournaments where there are no divisions and you might want to avoid those.

Funny-ish story; I was at a launch party in Chicago and Josh Sharpe put me in the A division after my qualifying game. I gave him a hard time and told him I never played in a tournament. I had the second highest qualifying score and ultimately finished third. Lyman and Josh also played. But I still say they threw the games for us noobs. I had a great time and even if I didn't win it was good fun.

#134 10 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

All I can say is you are delusional. Get some help.

Thanks Doc...... I think the doctor ordered a stress free event without the tourney players..... it comes in May. He also reminded me for you to take your meds, as it is obvious youve skipped a few days. Look in the mirror before you claim someone is delusional, it seems your as short sighted as i am when it comes to your/my beliefs.

You can keep dancing around the points provided, no excuse for what ive seen in the past or had to deal with when my machines were brought home. But the fact remains, Clay doesnt have to provide a tourney to fill his hall nor do i EVER have to provide a tourney game for your personal abuse. Feel free to sign up and attend the showcase, you never know till you try something that doesnt completely cater to the likes of yourself.

#135 10 years ago

Clay, thank you for sharing your collection with us.

Glad to have the opportunity to help in a small way to help you pull this off.

#136 10 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

Many tournaments I've seen have divisions just for this reason. You're placed in a division with people of your skill. I also know there are some tournaments where there are no divisions and you might want to avoid those.

That's the way to do it. But also, I believe there are some games that are more-approachable for less-experienced players. The fact is, modern games are a lot more complicated. To score well on modern games requires more practice and inside knowledge of the game and ruleset -- so if you're looking to attract new people to the hobby, having more simple games is, IMO, better.

It's funny.. I watch those PAPA tournament videos on modern games, and maybe the producers don't realize, but unless you know the ruleset, it's hard to appreciate what the player is doing. The balls move so fast they often outpace the video frame-rate and you basically rely on a commentator to explain to you that the player did something good. Older machines, it's more fun to watch too... you can see there's one drop target left and everybody knows that's what needs to be hit, etc

Of course, many people who have unfettered access to the latest-and-greatest games will undoubtedly disagree. If I was speaking just for myself, I'd admit it's a lot more fun to have tournaments on modern games - but I am also in the position of trying to draw new people to the sport and create events that appeal to everybody, not just experienced, competitive players, and if the same 3 guys win every tournament (even if it's "division A" and the newbies win consolation "division C"), I feel I could do better and have failed in my objective of bringing new people into the hobby and making them feel like they have a chance of competing. Different divisions help. We're also going to introduce random team competition in our events too... but I still feel the most important thing I can do is try to pick types of games that give the largest array of people the greatest chance to progress based on the quintessential elements of pinball that I hold dear, which are raw flipper/ball-control skills with a twist of luck.

#137 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Actually, at the Texas Pinball Festival one year, the WOZs that JJP brought were exclusively for the tournament. It's been that way pretty consistently at the shows in Texas.. the new games show up in the tournament area and if you want to play them you have to pay to enter the tournament.

There were 2 in the tournament and 1 on the floor.

#138 10 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Why those games are 'over there' is a localized problem - not a general one.

Actually I do see “Why those games are 'over there'” as a a typical problem, at least for the general public. I haven’t been to every show on the planet but the ones I have attended have had the "pay to play" tournament games roped off (and I do understand the reasons why this has to be).

I’m not a tournament player but I have done tournament scoring for many years mainly at Chicago Expo and MPE. A common issue has been that I have to shooo away people from the tournament games and answer the invariable question “Why can’t I play this game?” One particular example was when a very old gentleman with a walker and his 8 year old grandson shuffled into the MPE tournament area early one morning and started a game. I mean the guy must have been at least 85, and with his grandson in tow, they looked soooo pathetic. The tournament traffic was light so I let them play a couple of games. Boy, did I feel like a shit heel when I had to ask him to leave.

Would the tournament games still show up at the show if there was not a tournament? Probably not, at least not all of them.

The issue is the perception "John Q. Public" has with roped off games. They do not understand all the dynamics of a tournament and why the public cannot play the tournament games for free, even if they are available, they just see a game they want to play. Most pinheads understand and have come to accept that tournament games are off limits to free play.

Doug D.

#139 10 years ago

After attending my first event, I can see why this format (limited attendance and all machines available to all people) is, in my opinion, the right way to go. After playing for 6 hours at MPE on Saturday, I appreciate the goal of having 1 ratio of machines to people. I was a bit bummed when I went to MPE and saw Tron, Addams Family, and a Star Trek LE in the row. I chose not to pay for the tournament... my choice, but it would have been great if they were available. I get it... it's the Disney Fast Pass mentality... pay a premium price, get a premium benefit. But, it still doesn't mean I wouldn't like to play those machines.

#140 10 years ago

At the Ann Arbor pinball show there will be NO ropes. All games accessible to everyone at all times, even tourney games.

You want to play in the tourney? Fine put a quarter in the game before you start. If you start a game without putting in money, then it's a non tourney play. Who will police this? No one. If you're that big of a loser to call your non paying game a tourney try, then you have bigger issues than the chump change to be won is gonna solve.

With this casual approach anyone can play tourney games, either in the tournament, or not. No ropes, no $5 trouney entrances, no hassles. free play if you want it, 25 cent tourney play tries if you need it. Also only EMs and early SS games being used in the tournament. You won't see medieval, monster bash, cv, tron, Star Trek, etc in a tournament.

#141 10 years ago
    Quoted from nsduprr:

Actually I do see “Why those games are 'over there'” as a a typical problem, at least for the general public. I haven’t been to every show on the planet but the ones I have attended have had the "pay to play" tournament games roped off (and I do understand the reasons why this has to be).

I said WHY - not that there was a separate set at all. The common thread I see here is those in Chicago/Michigan don't like how at those shows, the most desirable games in these people's opinions always end up 'out of reach' in the tournament bank. I call that a LOCALIZED problem - not an inherent problem with shows and tournaments.

Quoted from nsduprr:

I’m not a tournament player but I have done tournament scoring for many years mainly at Chicago Expo and MPE. A common issue has been that I have to shooo away people from the tournament games and answer the invariable question “Why can’t I play this game?”

And in PA - we always have the same exact issue with vendor's booths at York, Allentown, etc. Why do these guys setup right alongside the free play areas, but don't let anyone play their games? The problem isn't specific to tournaments and as you said, those games might not even be there otherwise. There is this attitude by some in this thread that tournaments TAKE THE GAMES AWAY. How their local show plays out is just that.. how their local show plays out.. not these reasons people are making up why tournaments are detriments to shows. It's "throwing the baby out with the bath water"

Expo was long known for it's format with 'the latest game' being the bank game. That doesn't mean that is how tournaments are ran everywhere. People are whining because distributors are bringing games and then opt to put them in the tournament. Funny, at the last two events I've been at Trent brought games (Metallica, AC/DC, Mustang) that were all NOT in the tournament banks. So when will people stop generalizing and realize that their beef is with a specific show... not the notion of tournaments.

#142 10 years ago

I think cfh has something here. There was a pinball event here that was a tournament. All these pinball machines were brought and set up. If you were in the tournament, you could play if you paid whatever fees were required. I wanted to go and check out the machines and play a few games and enjoy the event. I didn't want to play in the tournament, because I'd just lose to the better players. I understand that they don't want the general public playing the tournament games and they need to keep things under control. I also know that they have a couple games set up for the public to play (except they have them on tournament settings with a payout to the high scores). Anyhow, seems like the only people who set up these events are the guys who will destroy you and take the money.

#143 10 years ago

not to beat a dead horse with a stick..but that game (STARGAZER) is now over 3k. it was $1000- $1500 when we finished ifpa. there were at least 10 of us or so at ifpa that saw and played the game for the first time and commented we wanted one. then, we went to chicago expo in the fall and rush had his in the classics division, and once again more players played it for the first time and commented on wanting one. duncans at chicago expo many years ago I'm sure created interest although i don't know duncan and never saw it back then. First time i was aware of it was 2 years ago at ifpa in washington. ive also noticed all the "wanted" for stern meteor recently because if was in the pinburgh lineup playoffs. Every time players (me included) play a game in a tourney setting for the first time, if it seems like a great game and will likely appear in more tourneys, we search for them to practice on.
    So, let me be right on this one . it happens, its done, it increases interest and demand and prices increase.
    not everyone who buys games is an anal home collector who doesn't play and just stares at games and only worries about how a game looks...lol.
    Next- i still have not seen anyone on here argue that clay should have a big tourney, all i have seen is players who play in tournaments defend themselves when certain stereotypes are mentioned. nothing to do with clays event. i agree clay doesn't need a tourney of any kind. people will go if they want to play nice games and many unseen games. clays games play great, his ems play like gold. its no secret. anyone in town or who does not mind traveling should go period. Unfortunately, i will be at the ifpa many events in colorado the only player from Michigan representing.
    SO, i hope for the sake of our state, even though i'm a bad naughty tournament player, that you all will support me and wish me luck. I'm carrying michigan on my back for the state finals, world finals, world team championships and 2 or 3 other pre tournaments! only 3 people in the world period are playing in the state, world and team world ifpa championships and I am one of them..so be nice.

"I agree stargazer has been difficult and expensive for the last 5 years, largely thanks to Duncan's example at expo. Nothing to do with tourney play either."

#144 10 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

the only player from Michigan representing.SO, i hope for the sake of our state, even though i'm a bad naughty tournament player, that you all will support me and wish me luck. I'm carrying michigan on my back for the state finals, world finals, world team championships and 2 or 3 other pre tournaments! ."

Gangstarr isn't going or didn't make the cut?

#145 10 years ago

First, in case you're reading this and you're not aware, I am one of the major people that run the MGC, so take this all with a grain of salt I guess. Only fair to have full disclosure.

With that, the one thing that I have to say is that I don't quite get the bashing on shows that a lot of people are doing on here. Clay, it's great you can do this and everything, but since you have all these games in one place throughout the year, you have a FAR different set up then other shows do, and that allows you to run things in a completely different manner. If the MGC had that, I could run things differently. I don't.

We try to provide with our show additional things to do so the lines aren't so deep, and if they are you always have options about what to do. In doing so, we provide things that a show like this one can't just because of logistics. And that's fine.

Every show has differences. But, I can honestly say that it's rather disheartening to hear people complain about shows "packing them in" when I'll be spending well over $100k to put on the MGC this year with no guarantee to make that back. Until someone that has pockets much deeper than I wishes to throw the show some money to happen, unless we attract more people than we did last year, we're going to be losing money this year. That's a fact.

Our goals when we started our show was to introduce as many types of gaming to as many different people as possible, and also educate and inform them about the history of gaming. Your goal is different. That doesn't make either of us wrong, it just makes us go at it from different standpoints.

Oh, and for the comment about the legality of the tournaments, I have worked with the city and state government for the past five years, including specifically running by every tournament and give away we are doing, and there are no issues.

#146 10 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Your goal is different. That doesn't make either of us wrong, it just makes us go at it from different standpoints.

A lot of people don't understand this. Through the years I've had my events attacked. That I dared to have games on coin play and call it a party. Or those that thought I should have more prizes, more divisions. Even from people supposedly promoting and supporting pinball.

And the attacks came from people who have never been in my business or have only been there a few times.

You have to run an event with what you have. And who will show up. You can't run an event with what someone else thinks should be best.

Thankfully we have so many people dedicated to putting on shows and events and tournaments and we have a variety to choose from.

When you go to one of these events, be sure and thank them for making it happen. They did the work, they took the financial risk. A kind word means a lot. A lot more than an unkind one.

LTG : )™

#147 10 years ago

yours truly is he

Quoted from MrBally:

Gangstarr isn't going or didn't make the cut?

#148 10 years ago

I have a simple solution. Two words.

Tommy

Dollars

The agreeing parties (not affiliated with any organization or event management) agree to place x amount of an agreed upon denomination of $$$$ on the glass of any pinball game they deem fit for competition. Dollars are strategically placed to obscure the view of the game making each shot an interesting one. Flip a coin to decide order and with each player taking a turn until said dollars have been exhausted, aannnnnnd, the game commences. This way anyone who wants to, can compete for dinero and have a great time with any pinhead they choose to Tommy Dollar with. Any malfunctions/ rulings must be agreed upon by both parties or the funds of said game are returned to the original hands of the competitors to avoid any monetary strife.

Any dances, bragadocio and tom foolery must be accompanied by smiles and handshakes. Otherwise all winnings of the competition are forfeited to the Ninja...

Let the wild pin-rumpus begin!

#149 10 years ago

Andy,

howareya? I didn't realize that you changed your handle. Good luck in Colorado. I always want a Michigander to win.

Bruce

#150 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

A lot of people don't understand this. Through the years I've had my events attacked. That I dared to have games on coin play and call it a party. Or those that thought I should have more prizes, more divisions. Even from people supposedly promoting and supporting pinball.

Well said Lloyd. The producers of these events have to be able to sustain themselves. Everybody has different business models. If your business is repairing games and you have an amazing personal collection and lots of resources, your business model may be different from another collector, or an operator who needs to use a different means to generate money to cover time and expenses. It's not necessarily "better" as much as it's "different."

There are 429 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-a-better-pinball-show-ann-arbor-mi-model/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.