Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 135 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by legtod2
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Schematic==0G-00005677==Mod-Dimmer-5A-1L.pdf (PDF preview)
    Transformer (resized).jpg
    Voltage_WaveformsA.jpg
    NewPrototype (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    SchematicPage3 (resized).jpg
    SchematicPage2 (resized).jpg
    BreadBoard (resized).jpg
    SchematicPage1 (resized).jpg
    jeremylampdriver (resized).jpg
    xxP7063229 (resized).JPG
    There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

I have started a separate thread on pinball lamp driver to enlist input on choices for building your own lamp driver board.

I have another thread on my arduino conversion of Close Encounters machine.

Before putting solder to board I am pausing to enlist input of others.

My original plan was this.

Create a separate board the is controlled by i2c or spi connection. Allow 32 to 64 output lamp/led controls. Switch will basically be a low side switch. No pwn controlled output.

A bank of 4 or 8 shift registers to feed 4 or 8 darlington unl2803.

Traditional circuits use fets or mosfets as opposed to using an array bank approach.

Another issue to consider is max current draw and heat stress on board.

Any comments or suggestions on building your own lamp driver board ?

#2 6 years ago

unl2803 probably won't be able to drive incandescents without overheating.

If you're making your own board I'd decide up front whether you can do all LEDs or not. It'll make your board much cheaper if you can avoid the current draw of incandescents

#3 6 years ago

Zacaj,

Would there be an alrenative to the unl2803 that would take the load ?

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from legtod2:

Zacaj,
    Would there be an alrenative to the unl2803 that would take the load ?

I've never been able to find one. Transistor arrays are hard to find

I'm not super good with electronic design though, maybe I'm missing something. I think at one point I calculated that the unl2803 couldn't handle that much power dissipation going through it though.

There are combined shift registers and led drivers. They're more expensive then just having a shift register and a driver IC, but if you do go with LEDs they can save board space

#5 6 years ago

May aim is to handle incandesents. My version one board did have a heat issue. Guest it was the draw on a single ground lead. Not sure if multple ground leads would help. The outputs will be constantly strobed.

#6 6 years ago

take a peak at what bally did. the used 4 to 16 decoders to latch SCRs.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from legtod2:

May aim is to handle incandesents. My version one board did have a heat issue. Guest it was the draw on a single ground lead. Not sure if multple ground leads would help. The outputs will be constantly strobed.

Why strobed? Aren't you not doing PWM?

Quoted from barakandl:

take a peak at what bally did. the used 4 to 16 decoders to latch SCRs.

Won't the decoders not work if you're not using SCRs? Latches are nice though. If you are doing any quick lamp manipulation, I'd prefer latches to shift registers (especially chained shift registers) for speed

#8 6 years ago

Now you see why most approaches are with a matrix. The minute you need more than 8 or 16 outputs, if you plan to driver current hungry incandescents, it is most cost effective to have 2X 8 high current drives.

The most sensible design for your 2 wire interfacing would be to use an inexpensive PIC or 8051 core microcontroller to do the background matrix processing. They can be had for under $2.

However, I don't know if you have the programming skills set to create that background Firmware??

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Now you see why most approaches are with a matrix. The minute you need more than 8 or 16 outputs, if you plan to driver current hungry incandescents, it is most cost effective to have 2X 8 high current drives.
    The most sensible design for you 2 wire interfacing would be turning use an inexpensive PIC or 8051 core microcontroller to do the background matrix processing. They can be had for under $2.
    However, I don't know if you have the programming skills set to create that background Firmware??

Firmware wouldn't be very complicated, but you can't exactly convert a non-matrix game to use a matrix without major requiring, can you?

#10 6 years ago

Additionally, the power requirements of having 64 lamps all on at the same time is also a consideration if directly driving all 64.

#44 lamp uses 0.250 amps.

64 X 0.25 = 16 amps.

The main benefit to direct drive is if ( like others have already done), you make smaller addressable driver boards that can be mounted close to the end user to reduce wiring requirements.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Firmware wouldn't be very complicated, but you can't exactly convert a non-matrix game to use a matrix without major requiring, can you?

Correct. I wasn't aware if this was a re-work or a brand new project. Sometimes, I miss key words in a thread.

It would therefore almost make more sense to design an interface to re-send the existing driver tech of the System 1 driver board or an aftermarket remake.

Interface the 2 wire comm. To the 4 bit latches of the Gottlieb driver. But I think that was already discussed in your other thread.

Perhaps the LISYS project PCB would be a good approach here instead of re- inventing the wheel?

#12 6 years ago

This whole journey is for education and learning. I would like my lamp driver board 2.0 for use in my arduino powered pinball machine to work, as opposed to melting ground wires on lamp driver 1.0 boards.

I have some working code to filling the shift registers and latching it out to turn on the lamps.

Can easily replace the design to use shift registers to (fets or mosfets or tips) to get arround the max current and max heat for 32 or 64 lamps.

I saw what Hugh uses for open pinball project, and I will lookup the LISYS does. This can be a clean sheet of paper for something I can build and learn from.

#13 6 years ago

Okay, so, question: Exactly what brand and part number did you use for the connector (and/or crimp pins) you used for the ground wire(s)?

And the gauge of wire?

Not all crimp connectors are not created equal. All have current limitations.

I am not criticising here, just trying to help on your journey.

And, I would not even consider TIPs at this point in time. MOSFETS are far more efficient and logic level ones are simple to interface to. The main consideration will be how much current the ground return traces (and wires through connectors) will need to handle. You may need to spread the current load over multiple conductors. Just like the Gottlieb engineers did when using multiple ground paths.

#14 6 years ago

I believe the multiple ground paths are the right direction along with the use of 100 mil 8 pin connectors on the board.

Also the use of individual 2n7000 may be prudent and remove the unl2803's from the picture.

So assume that the shift registers are daisy chained and one board hosts 4 shift registers giving 32 output lamp controls.
    This also means 32 individual 2n7000's. Giving thought to ground lets assume 4 output ground pins so we can trace fault to individual shift registers.

With this in mind our inputs of 3 pins to control the daisy chained shift registers, and 32 output pins to the lamps (4 x 8 pin 100 mils) and 4 ground leads. this may fit the bill. Of course this would be a low side switch so no resistors should be required.

#15 6 years ago

If I recall correctly the Gottlieb system 1 output driver board used multiple output paths.

I have two Gottlieb machines now (Jungle Queen and Close Encounters).

#16 6 years ago

I found that 2n7000 blew up under the strain of 44 lamps. The BS170 at 500ma is a much better choice and can be driven directly by TTL levels.

#17 6 years ago

Yes, the Sys1 driver board used 4 bit latches with individual latch pulses for the lamp drives. And completely discrete Solenoid output drives from the MPU. So, you would need some kind of a slave processor in between to repurpose the original driver board.

Is it your plan to hack all the old Gottlieb edge connectors off and replace them with the 0.100" headers? If so, you might want to use 9 or 10 pins (utilize one pin as a key in a different place in each connector) and let each 8 pin group have it's own ground wire back to the power supply. But still common-ize all the grounds together on the driver board so as to spread the ground loading out over all connected wires. Basically what the System 1 Ground mods do.

#18 6 years ago

Good point about the key pin and have one pin for ground. Good idea CactusJack.

Jwilson, I am using roughly 32 controlled playfield lamps. I think they are all 44 but not sure.
    Being a newbie, not sure what the correct choice is for this application. Thats why I'm asking for input.

#19 6 years ago

CactusJack do you mean LISY1 or LISY80 boards for this website http://www.lisy80.com/english/lisy1/ ?

If so its really cool what he did using the pinmame roms and a pi zero.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from legtod2:

CactusJack do you mean LISY1 or LISY80 boards for this website http://www.lisy80.com/english/lisy1/ ?
    If so its really cool what he did using the pinmame roms and a pi zero.

Yes, the LISY1 is designed to interface with the cabinet wiring of a System 1 game. Sorry about butchering the name. It is a great creation for people that want to dive in to reprogramming their games.

#21 6 years ago

CactusJack,

The fellow posted on vpforums a while back for assistance with pinmame to work with linux. The pinmame world is dominated by windows rather than linux and some of the source code did not work ported over.

The solid state machines have roms which help drive the machines, and I was always curious of what the rom actually did in a virtual pinball and solid statemachines.

Long story short, its cool how he made a system 1 and system 80 mpu board using the pi and his own motherboard.

#22 6 years ago

Bally used the 2n5060 for its lamp driver board. I am still searching for an array chip but have found nothing that was standardized.

The 2n7000 and BS170 are common interchangables.

Any other suggestion on a suitable transistor that won't break the bank and survive the test of time?

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from legtod2:

Bally used the 2n5060 for its lamp driver board. I am still searching for an array chip but have found nothing that was standardized.
    The 2n7000 and BS170 are common interchangables.
    Any other suggestion on a suitable transistor that won't break the bank and survive the test of time?

I did a bit of research and if you want to stick with the TO-92 package, the only other cost effective one I could find was the VN2222LL which can handle a bit more current - 0.750A (500ma on a 250ma draw has me a bit worried). But I am not sure how easily it will interface to the logic outputs. I am used to using only Logic Level Mosfets just to make things easier.

Personally, I would switch over to a TO-262 (I2PAK) package as it can still be used as a through hole and it is smaller than a TO-220. It will cost a bit more each (around $35 at 100 pricing) but will be plenty strong as I think the lowest rated one I could find was 5.5 amps.

#25 6 years ago

Cool doc barakandl.

#26 6 years ago

CactusJack,

Lets assume max 10amp, 6-9volt DC, 32 x #44 bulbs. Avg amps will be less than 10, maybe 5-6amps.

How does the math look for our lot of transistor candidates.

#27 6 years ago

I am not sure I understand your question.

Total Amperage would only come into play when it concerns the power supply source, and the conductors and connectors that have to pass the total amperage of ALL the lights.

For the Transistor/MOSFET choice, it only depends on each individual load (lamp socket). But for me, while a single lamp may be only 250ma, I am concerned about how the driver semiconductor will hold up if, perhaps, the bulb burns out and the filament shorts out due to vibration. I see this happen when SSR ( Solid State Relays) are used to control 120VAC incandescent bulbs. Even though the SSR is rated highly enough to drive the normal lamp (55-100 Watts), they get destroyed when the bulb is burnt out and someone goes to replace it with the power on. The blown filament, as it dangles, flips around and shorts across the insides and takes out the SSR.

Obviously, the 2N7000 at 300 ma was easily eaten up by a #44 lamp. Of course, since you are dealing with VDC, there really isn't anything wrong with using an MPS-A14 Darlington transistor like Gottlieb did which is also rated at 500 ma. So, I suppose, the BS170 is a good choice too.

As to your Math: A #44 lamp uses 0.250 amps (A #47, uses only 0.150).

32 Lamps X 0.250 amps = 8 amps when all lamps are on (not 5 to 6).

#28 6 years ago

Are any lamps in your game doubled up? I'm pretty sure gottlieb does this sometimes

#29 6 years ago

I made a lamp driver to drive 64 individual RGB ws2803's (im using the fast pinball ones). It has its own mcu + ram that you dump patterns onto and just send like 2 byte messages over serial (rs485) to do like, PLAY PATTERN1, which might be a fan etc.

I'm using individual instead of serial so I dont need to worry about chained LED's breaking down in the chain.

my driver board only sends data to the WS2803, voltage is external so I dont have to worry about current draw through the board itself.
    LED driverLED driver

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Are any lamps in your game doubled up? I'm pretty sure gottlieb does this sometimes

Good point. That's what those MPS-U45s were for.

#31 6 years ago

Why not sidestep the whole driver problem, and start using addressable LED's?
    The ws2812 leds are RGB leds what are individually programmable. They needs one line to drive a whole chain of 100 or more leds. The protocol is available on the arduino as libraries.
    And to save you soldering, they are available pre-soldered with 10cm of wire between them. The presoldered ones are available as small round pcb great for inserts, and as 10mm leds for GI operation.
    See here for what i am using: http://3dwingmaster.blogspot.com.au/2015/06/lights.html

#32 6 years ago

And did I mention they are cheap as chips: 50 LED presoldered with wire for usd$10

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from DDDwingmaster:

And did I mention they are cheap as chips: 50 LED presoldered with wire for usd$10

Got a link on where they sell them?

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Additionally, the power requirements of having 64 lamps all on at the same time is also a consideration if directly driving all 64.
    #44 lamp uses 0.250 amps.
    64 X 0.25 = 16 amps.
    The main benefit to direct drive is if ( like others have already done), you make smaller addressable driver boards that can be mounted close to the end user to reduce wiring requirements.

I feel like that math is wrong in some way. Most games I've seen are rated for 8 amps and I have yet to see that (maybe if everything is running) for example this is the case with both my bk2k and trident and surely they both have more than 100 incandescent bulbs each and both can be running full blast without tripping a 20 amp breaker... not sure if I missed something hahaha

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from darcangeloel:

I feel like that math is wrong in some way. Most games I've seen are rated for 8 amps and I have yet to see that (maybe if everything is running) for example this is the case with both my bk2k and trident and surely they both have more than 100 incandescent bulbs each and both can be running full blast without tripping a 20 amp breaker... not sure if I missed something hahaha

Most of that is GI, which is usually on a separate 15-20A fuse. And frequently melts connectors anyway

#36 6 years ago

Alrighty, here is one that I am considering for my transistor
    https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/fairchild-on-semiconductor/BS170_D26Z/BS170_D26ZCT-ND/3042544

This guy may fit the bill and ordering quantity of 100 keeps the price managable.

Since I want to keep my machine lamps as is, no led replacements for this cab ( maybe I will look at it on the other three machines). My Close Encounters machine is already a bit of a frankinstien creation anyway. It is my mule and idea testing machine.

The shift registers will talk to the bs170 and turn them on/off.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from darcangeloel:

Yup, you missed a thing called a matrix!

With a 64 lamp matrix, the maximum bulbs being driven at any instant in time is 8. They are pulsed at a rate of 1 or 2 ms every 8 Ms at 18vdc.

And, as was mentioned, GI is on a different circuit with up to 15 to 20 amps of constant current.

#38 6 years ago

Also, a game like a Classic Bally with direct drive feature lamps, if you leave it in lamp test (all lamps on, all lamps off) it can burn up the bridge.

It was accepted at the time, that not all lamps would ever be turned on at the same time (10 bonus lamps, only one at a time etc.). Some lights start lit. Getting the rollover or Target extinguishes lamp and lights another one.

Attract modes can be hard on drivers and power supplies but again, there is a lot of sharing of on and off times between lamps.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Also, a game like a Classic Bally with direct drive feature lamps, if you leave it in lamp test (all lamps on, all lamps off) it can burn up the bridge.

Yeah, I'm running something like 80 44 bulbs in my custom game - all GI is controlled - and that giant bridge gets too hot to touch even with the giant heatsink I have on it when I run it in test mode!

The BS170 has been perfect for me, haven't blown one since I switched from the 2N7000.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Yup, you missed a thing called a matrix!
    With a 64 lamp matrix, the maximum bulbs being driven at any instant in time is 8. They are pulsed at a rate of 1 or 2 ms every 8 Ms at 18vdc.
    And, as was mentioned, GI is on a different circuit with up to 15 to 20 amps of constant current.

This was it, derp. hahahha

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Yeah, I'm running something like 80 44 bulbs in my custom game - all GI is controlled - and that giant bridge gets too hot to touch even with the giant heatsink I have on it when I run it in test mode!
    The BS170 has been perfect for me, haven't blown one since I switched from the 2N7000.

Since you are living in a world of DC when using the MOSFETs (not 6.3vac), you could always switch to a high wattage switching power supply. You could even split the load and run two less costly units to do the job.

#43 6 years ago

Jwilson,

Do you have a link to a write up on your custom machine. I'd like to read up on it

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Since you are living in a world of DC when using the MOSFETs (not 6.3vac), you could always switch to a high wattage switching power supply. You could even split the load and run two less costly units to do the job.

I just used the existing EM transformer and made my own power supply. Works fine, saved money.

Quoted from legtod2:

Do you have a link to a write up on your custom machine. I'd like to read up on it

I'm waiting until I finish to do the write up, but I'm running Open Pinball Project boards and wrote the documentation for them on Pinball Makers. Most of the photos there are my machine.

http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php/OPP

#45 6 years ago

So it you that Hugh was refering to for the EM machine done using opp. I finally connect the dots.

I am looking forward to seeing a write up of an em ussing opp

#46 6 years ago

I ordered 100 of the BS170 from digikey.ca. So far I have found digikey pretty quick on filling orders for my electronic stuff.
    Going to use fritzing for my drawing.

#47 6 years ago

Yeah, they usually ship same day. The $8 flat rate shipping blows though so I try to build up an order.

11 months later
    #48 5 years ago

Jeremy, how did you make out with your EM machine. I understand you switched out the OPP boards for p-roc boards.

How did you make out with the lamp driver board ? Did you end up using mpf and a p-roc lamp driver board ?

Sorry I have been away from the forum for a while and still catching up.

#49 5 years ago

I am resurrecting this thread... I have been away for a while (Life has a tendency of pulling us away from our hobbies).

Lately I have been working on my Close Encounters hybrid for the raspberry pi python logic to drive the backglass display.
    My break it code testing between the pi and the arduino shows that under high playfield activity, the backglass display can lag behind.
    This primarily happens when the Bonus count down happens or the spinner is spinning like a top or the thumper is shotgunning the ball repeatively against the wall. None of these issues really cause a problem unless you are watching the scoreboard and the sync is usually a couple of tenth of seconds off.
    The count down can be cured by adding a brief delay between the arduino count down and the pi to allow the count down display catch up. So far I am living with it but my obsessive compulsiveness will kick in and I will fix it.

As far as my lamp driver board I have all my parts and testing the design on my bench system before applying to the machine.
    My bench test bed consists of my Ubuntu desktop PC connected to my spare arduino mega. The mega is attached to my prototype lamp driver board and the board connects to my breadboard of LED lamps. Presently the prototype lamp driver board only pushes 16 LED lamps.

My intension is to switch out my Close Encounters incandesent lamps for LED's. My PC power supply board will be used to push the 5 vdc to the LED lamps.
    My playfield has 32 bulbs so my board should be easier to build that the 64 bulb monster I originally planned for.

Previously I tried my present lamp driver board on the incandesent lamps and found it heated up quickly and would stop working.

Any way, I will write up my experience as I go since I have time once again to do this.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from legtod2:

Jeremy, how did you make out with your EM machine. I understand you switched out the OPP boards for p-roc boards.
    How did you make out with the lamp driver board ? Did you end up using mpf and a p-roc lamp driver board ?
    Sorry I have been away from the forum for a while and still catching up.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-hot-rod-a-tribute-to-classic-em-pinball

Yes, I switched from OPP since I was having a lot of serial issues with it. P-ROC working much better.

There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/build-your-own-lamp-driver and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.