IMG_20221013_221813 (resized).jpg
20220925_113357 (resized).jpg
20220925_112558 (resized).jpg
20220925_113351 (resized).jpg
20220925_111442 (resized).jpg
20220925_111157 (resized).jpg
20220925_112018 (resized).jpg
20220925_101033 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 2 years ago

Your board looks fantastic with a really clean layout. Definitely nice to have this option available and will try to build one up. I’ve fixed quite a few Gameplan boards. When the corrosion is mild those are still worth saving but others that are too far gone I’d rather build up a new board and move over some of the components. I still have an original MPU that is stripped down but it needs so many traces fixed it was just not worth all the work it would need.

#15 2 years ago

If you want someone to do a test build I'll be glad to buy one of the blank PCB's and already should have all the parts on hand to populate it. I have two Sharpshooter games side by side. Have them both running now and helps to have them set the same as I was using one as a test jig for repairs.

Robert

1 week later
#18 2 years ago

That's awesome! Looking forward to doing a test build.

3 weeks later
#28 2 years ago

As soon as the latest updates are applied for a revised board (additional vias for power) then can see about making up a few boards. I don't mind building some or putting some kits together.

Robert

3 weeks later
#43 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

Well that is interesting
I am pretty sure Robotworkshop ordered a batch as well without a problem

I used a different board house. A small batch just came today. Going to work on a test build and docs. I have most of the parts but I need to order a handful. Hope to work on it over the long weekend.

Robert

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Looking for at least one board and/or board plus parts list or kit.

I’m working on assembly docs and doing a proof build. Will have individual boards available and working on a kit. There are some parts I don’t have but could at least get a partial kit where you wouldn’t have a lot of parts to chase down.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

Well that is interesting
I am pretty sure Robotworkshop ordered a batch as well without a problem

Actually I think the issues that were flagged had to do with the vias. On the boards I got the vias are still covered. I think they would have to be larger with more of an exposed larger ring in order to allow them to be uncovered. If there is another revision perhaps that can be done and make the via hole sizes large enough so at least a small wire wrap wire can go through them.

This batch should still work as they are and now with all the extra vias added to the thicker power traces that addressed the main concern with the initial prototype board.

#57 2 years ago

Gathering and sorting kits takes time! I'm putting together about 6 kits and going to assemble a few boards. There are some parts I need to order. At the moment for the kits it looks like I will be able to provide almost full kits. Just short on some of the IC's. Will see how people like them and perhaps I can try to a batch of full kits. Working on the draft for the assembly docs and am doing a proof build this weekend.

#59 2 years ago

Under the ROM folder which one of the .BIN files is the recommended one to use?

#61 2 years ago

Made progress on a test build and progress on assembly docs. I think the docs will help anyone building one of these boards as a kit. I'm missing a few parts and will get those ordered soon. Should have a few assembled boards and about 6 kits. Started packing the kits and most as labeled to make it easier to sort the parts. I sent a very early draft of the assembly docs to Jeremy and am working on adding the rest of the steps.

GP_Multi_proof (resized).jpgGP_Multi_proof (resized).jpgGP_parts (resized).jpgGP_parts (resized).jpgGP_parts2 (resized).jpgGP_parts2 (resized).jpg
#65 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

Your leads are bent nicer / more consistent than mine too.. Good job!

It helps to have a variety of lead forming tools to get nice bends on the parts. The spacing on the small diodes was smaller than most of the ones I use but I found some additional lead forming STL files on Thingiverse and one of those worked perfectly.

#70 2 years ago

Just received a few more parts. By next week I should have the rest in to have some full kits ready.

#71 2 years ago

I did have enough parts on hand to finish one of the new MPU boards. Booted right up and seems to work perfect in SharpShooter.

20220422_211209 (resized).jpg20220422_211209 (resized).jpg
#75 2 years ago

The updates look great. Let me know how the docs go and I'll make any needed updates. It is an easy board to assemble but those not used to soldering will just want to pay extra attention to the close lead spacing on the Q1 transistor. It's fine but easy to cause a bridge if not careful. Some solder wick can be used it anyone gets a bit too much solder there.

#78 1 year ago

I built a couple more of these Multu MPU boards and ran them in SharpShooter. These were made with all the parts that came in so I could confirm the parts were all ok. I'm just doing a couple quick revisions to the assembly documentation but it is setup so you can easily follow it step by step. It is an enjoyable kit to build and you should be able to get it together over an evening or two.

I have a couple fully assembled/tested boards available and a few FULL kits that include everything needed. The PCB and all parts including NVRAM, EPROM, CPU, etc. and a printed copy of the instructions.

I'm building one additional board for testing and am going to install a battery holder for a coin cell to see how that works. Will let everyone know.

Jeremy definitely did a great job on the board. It is laid out very well and the ones I built all worked the first time.

#81 1 year ago
Quoted from Dbvandy:

Robotworkshop
Please send me a copy of those Assembly docs, I would love to help out with that. [email protected]
Doug

Hello Doug, I just e-mailed you the latest version V1.2 of the assembly doc.

#86 1 year ago

The first couple of FULL kits were mailed out and should be delivered on Saturday. Will be interested in hearing feedback.

Still have a few kits left. If there is interest I may do another batch of kits after that.

#87 1 year ago

I just built a board using a coin cell and a low power 6264 SRAM chip instead of NVRAM. if anyone goes this route I have a suggestion.

Install a 1n5817 in D60 where the 1N4148 was supposed to go. With this change I was able to pick up an extra .3V at the RAM chip. Then I the 1n4148 or a 1N4006 in D59 where the 1n5817 originally was.

Going to test this board at lunch.

#90 1 year ago
Quoted from OxRox93:

Hello! Is anyone on here willing to purchase, build, and ship a completed board? I have an old Coney Island game plan that I’m needing to replace the board on.
I can not build it myself.
I’m willing to pay for all parts and time. Please let me know.

I have one already assembled that isn't claimed. It is available.

Robert

#93 1 year ago
Quoted from turboglyde:

Robotworkshop, I will take one please. My Foxy Lady needs new life.

Do you like to solder? Still have a kit ready to go but I could assemble one. May be next week though.

#97 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballj:

Just got to say thanks again for pointing this out Robotworkshop ^ !
Dbvandy , thank you for the pm on the legality concern on the combined rom that is used. I acquired the approval from the license holder of GamePlan Inc today, so we are all good to go to save some more of these fabulous games!
Here is a link to the zip file with the rom image as well as a Readme.txt:
https://github.com/jfleitz/gp-mpu/releases/download/v1.4/gpmpurom.zip
Contents of the readme.txt:
---
Game Plan multi-mpu ROM
Description:
The game rom images used are from the original release of the title and have not been modified. Modification to the game rom itself is not permitted when using this image.
Filename: gp-mpu.bin
Rom Type: 27c020 / 27c2001 (256kbx8)
Checksum: 0xED90
Used with permission by Game Plan, Inc.

That is awesome news. Can I add that to the next revision of the docs? Also can add a note at the end on who the thank for that!

#98 1 year ago

Some more good news. So far the new MPU board seems to run well using a low power 6262LP (or 6264ALP) chip with the coin cell. I am using the mod of swapping the two diodes I mentioned earlier in the thread. Left it in the game to continue running and additional testing but it seems like a good option.

Will update that in the docs too.

Still have a couple kits available. After that will wait to hear feedback and if there is interest could probably do another batch.

Robert

#102 1 year ago
Quoted from tadpole17:

Good Day Robert,
Could i also get a copy of the Assembly doc.
thanks

Sure, just send me a pm with your e-mail address and I can send it later today.

Robert

#104 1 year ago
Quoted from Dbvandy:

Well... today it begins... I can't convey how nice it is to work on a virgin board. I have repaired probably 20 gameplan MPU's and countless other boards. Only missing the new parts that Jeremy added and will have them going out in a Mouser order today.
[quoted image]

The last couple original GamePlan boards were total time sinks dealing with bad traces, etc and rebuilding traces, etc. Now I will only fix clean boards or ones with very minor battery damage. Otherwise I'll just build a replacement.

#107 1 year ago
Quoted from Dbvandy:

Robotworkshop
I agree... that is EXACTLY why I have 4 machines without MPU's (for a few more day's anyway then BRANDY NEW for them)... fix one trace.. break 2 others. I lucked out early on about 20 years ago and bought out a guy that repaired pins... I got all of his stock, bad boards and all. I have revived 2 mpu boards from that stack and have fixed many others for folks that got ahold of me with dead game plans and a few Bally's and Williams. I am not super schooled on those 2, but I am up to speed on Game Plans.
I'm going your route of the coin battery and 6264. What is the part number (or size cell) you use for coin battery holder? And I did not see a Low Power option for the 6264 on Mouser... are you using Jameson or Digikey or someone else?
Doug

I use the CR2032 size which is really common. I’ll see if I can find a part number or link for the holder but it seems to be a common size too.

Jameco should have the 6264LP chips but it looks like their site is offline at the moment.

#108 1 year ago

Looks like you can get the 6264LP from Great Plains Electronics

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=6264LP-55

#109 1 year ago

This is the style battery holder that I used:

https://www.amazon.com/RuiLing-CR2032-Button-Battery-Holder/dp/B07PNK5D6H

Make sure to put the 1N5817 in D60 instead of the 1N4148. In D59 you can probably use the 1N4148 but I put in a 1N4006.

So far that is working great and running in my 2nd SharpShooter now.

#112 1 year ago

For a whole new board or future new boards it would be good to ensure orientation is the same. But the board works great as it is and Jeremy does have it well marked. Since it is a larger 40-pin off by itself it really isn’t a big concern. If it was one of the smaller IC’s backwards mixed in then it would have been flagged early on.

I can add a special note in the next version of the build docs to call attention to the orientation of that 8255 chip and it should be good.

#114 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Put a big flipping arrow on the pcb that states NOTE CHIP PLACEMENT for some of us lunkheads.
I can see it now its pointed out but a lot of guys are use to chips being all one way or another.

Except that anyone used to working on GamePlan boards would be used to it oriented as it is. Matches the orientation on the original board. The board is well marked and no issues building.

#116 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Guarentee someone is going to put one in backwards. New board going to attract people who have passed on Game Plan in the past and unfamiliar with this quirk.

Possibly. But I’ve seen boards come where people did that even if they were all in the same direction.

#124 1 year ago

Adding an extra legend is fine but since there are already boards out there at this point I wouldn’t want to see the chip orientation change. That would be really confusing to have some nearly identical boards with different orientation of parts.

If extra marking on the board is done or not, since the issue was raised it will be clearly noted in the docs. I’m going to mention to double check that the notches in the sockets match the board layout. If I ever come across boards where a socket was backwards I will fix that. Back in the 80’s Heathkit had a bad habit of doing that on many factory assembled boards. Use that as an opportunity to install better sockets.

#127 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

I can only assume this comment is directed at me as I was the one that "created the issue". I was just trying to point out the difference and inconsistency I see between other boards that I have worked with. There is no right or wrong. There is no rule that says everything has to be the same way. Of course you should double and triple check components with orientation before installing. I am glad this board has been made. I had thought about doing this board without the adequate experience to help the community but with this kind of comment I am really happy I did not do this. It is clear to me that trying to help is just "creating issues" so I will stop now. Back to your regularly schedule (uninterrupted) programming.

I’d consider it more of a discussion and it was a good point to bring up. Don’t get discouraged and you have a lot of knowledge to contribute. I try to keep orientation the same on my own boards when possible as it is a good practice. However at this point to change that one chip on this particular board may cause more issues if there are two similar boards with just one chipped reversed. Potentially someone could have both versions on the bench and that would mess people up.

I’m sure there can be some additional updates to the silkscreen to take care of this one.

#129 1 year ago
Quoted from Dbvandy:

Well..
Board its built and just missing the ROM. Unfortunately, I have exhausted all of my programmers (DataIO 288A, DataIO 22, SP8, MOD-MEP 4a) and none of them can program a 27C020. I thought my Data IO 32 pin 288A would, and with the right PROM card it might (Promlink thinks so anyway), but my version only goes up to 27C010... So close, but yet so far.
I thought about remixing a new ROM and programming a 27C010, but I'll wait for the Amazon fairy to show up tomorrow with a brandy new TL866II Plus. It says it can do it, so we will see.
so close...

That TL866II programmer should be able to do the 27C020 EPROM ok. It has trouble with older EPROM chips and would never trust it to do earlier EPROM's that need 21V or 25V. I've read about hacks to make those work but would just use an older programmer for earlier chips.

Just reading/verifying chips seems to work well on all.

One feature that was a really nice surprise on that TL866II is the logic and chip test function. It seems to have issues testing some open collector IC's but it does a very good job on the others. Many testers just say a chip is good or bad. The test in the TL866II also shows which output pins are at fault. Nice to see if teh whole chip is dead or just one or two outputs. Great for confirming the chip was really a problem.

The other perk is that the TL866II also tests the 8255 chip which is the only stand alone tester I've seen for those. Helped me weed out a couple bad ones on original GamePlan boards. Totally worth the cost as an extra piece of test gear.

As I recall that MOD-MEP had different versions of the software for it. Earlier version maxed out at 27C010 chips but I know there was a later version that could do 27C020 chips. However that software may not be easy to find anymore. Used to be on the JDR microdevices FTP server but I have a feeling that is LONG gone.... Maybe it is archived somewhere.

#131 1 year ago
Quoted from Dbvandy:

The biggest issue with the MOD-MEP is the ISA card. I have the card and the cable.. and an old Pentium 1 machine (truthfully at 66 MHz) to put it in... but no longer do I have a 6 pin keyboard. I had it out ready to try and then could not get past the keyboard error... so I did not even get to the point of finding out if it would burn the 27C020.
I have an old Dell D830 that is running XP just for the programmers... it does Promlink 6.1 just fine and with the docking station attached I do not have to use the USB to serial adapter.
I think there is a flash card out there somewhere with newer software than 4.1 for the 288A (that might support the 27C020, but it escaped me finding it on the interweb and even if I found it, Data IO stuff costs more now than it did when it was new. I saw a 288A going for $799 on FleaBay. Ouch.
About the testing function of the TL866II Plus... yea, I was reading up on that. Nice functionality to have access to and quite a bonus to have in addition to the chip programming.

May want to look on FB marketplace or CL since you could probably get a PS/2 keyboard for almost free these days. I've given some of my spares to neighbors.

Did a quick search and it looks like the latest MOD-MEP programmer software was saved in an archive. I think the 912 version is the latest. Found it here:

http://www.bitsavers.org/test_equipment/modularCircuitTechnology/jdr/

Later versions should work. You may want to revive that old machine. That programmer can program chips that the new programmers can't....

#134 1 year ago

Glad that things are going well so far. Planning on another update to the assembly docs and can add a note for those two resistors if they were tough to find. The more parts you get on the board the easier it gets to find the rest.

For building boards I use my trusty Weller WTCPT unit. Tried some of the lead free solder years ago but am not a fan of it. Prefer classic lead solder either 63/37 or 60/40 then clean the boards and dry after soldering.

#140 1 year ago

I did another update to the assembly docs and sent the latest to Jeremy. Now that it is cleaned up I thought it should be posted with the rest of the design files for the board.

I need to make some additional EPROM's soon. If anyone needs one to complete a build let me know as I can make extras.

#146 1 year ago
Quoted from the9gman:

the only thing I'm thinking is the iron slipped on that trace somehow pretty sure I must have fat thumbed it

I’ve built several of these boards and so far they all worked without issues. I’ll take a look at the other boards to double check that area. If there is too much heat it is possible to lift a pad on any board. I can add a note about that if I have to make any other revisions to the docs.

The more you solder the better you get and I look at kits as a way for people to learn plus get the enjoyment of building. Also ultimately the satisfaction that they did it themselves and it is the board they built running in their own machines. There is a lot to it and you basically built your own new computer board and it works. Glad that it all worked out and you have a running machine again.

#158 1 year ago

For building these boards if you want really nice looking components it helps to have a lead forming tool or set of them.

For the small diodes and resistors I use one like this:

https://www.amazon.com/CANADUINO-Bending-Resistor-Forming-300-700/dp/B089NZVB7S

These are also handy to have:

https://www.amazon.com/KDHLJ-Benders-Resistor-Capacitor-forming/dp/B07L4PVWWG

If you have access to a 3D printer there are ones you can download and print.

They save time preparing the components and they look a bit more uniform once installed.

#161 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBigg:

Thanks for the info, and I'll be calling to get my board sent back from the people who thought could repair it. I'm pretty good with a soldering iron, just need my magnifying glass. I own a custom guitar company, and hand-build custom electric guitars, so I solder quite often. I appreciate all the advice, and will probably try to go both routes on my board, and a new one. I bought a surf pro Saturday that was in a doctor's office since it was new, and it looks like it was timed warped here, so pristine it was scary. I got it for a song, and now at least have a good working machine to play while I fix the coney.
[quoted image]

You can see the latest version of the assembly docs for the new board here:

https://github.com/jfleitz/gp-mpu/blob/main/docs/GP_Multi_Assembly_V1.3.pdf

1 week later
#162 1 year ago

How is everyone doing on their builds? So far the feedback has been good. Any held needed? So far most issues have been with the machine itself.

#167 1 year ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Is there a place specific where Gameplan games can get chatted up? Have an issue that sort of have narrowed down, but hit a dead end on what my options are. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sharp-shooter-ii-all-insert-lighting-is-out

This one?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-plan-owners-club-sharpshooters-welcome/page/15#post-6950995

#170 1 year ago

<blockquote

Quoted from SchertzPinball:

I haven’t been on Pinside in awhile and just came across this exciting project. I love my Game Plan games and have the following:
Andromeda
Captain Hook
Sharpshooter
sharpshooter II
Super Nova
Old Coney Island
Attila the Hun
I will definitely be ordering some of these. Thank you very much for doing this.
I glanced through all the posts and was wondering if there were any current issues for finding parts and where everyone has had the best luck getting all the components.

The assembly docs have the list of parts needed. If you are sourcing parts you will probably need to hit at least three or more sources. For the PCB you’ll have to get some fabricated or get those from someone else who already had extras made. You’ll also need to program the EPROM.

There are a couple different ways to build the board. If you use an NVRAM chip then the battery section isn’t populated except for a jumper instead of a diode. If you use an 8K low power 6264 then the diodes are populated (swapped locations on board) and either a coin cell holder or three pin header for an external battery pack. I’ve built both versions and they work great.

To save people time I put together a limited number of full kits with everything needed. All parts ready to go. Just need to add solder.

Robert

1 week later
#181 1 year ago
Quoted from pb456:

The owner of Sharpshooter (whom I bought an MPU from Robotworkshop ) has abandoned the project.
I have an MPU kit for sale, for what I have into it. PM me for details.

For anyone that wants a full kit with everything included you should jump on this. I am out of kits. Since I am set on boards for myself and have a bunch of other projects I need to work on I'm not sure when there would be any more.....

2 months later
#185 1 year ago
Quoted from slag:

Does anyone have any kits available? If not a bare PCB would be great so I don't have to order 5.

There is an update coming to fix an issue with the display connector for the Cocktail machines. The board works flawless in all the standard upright machines but it needs a few traces fixed for the connector used by the cocktail games. Testing the fix for that and I plan on adding notes to the assembly docs about updating the older boards so they will run in the cocktail games.

Jeremy did a fantastic job on the design of these boards and they work really well. I know of one arcade that has one running in a Sharpshooter every day all day without issue.

I wrote up some assembly documentation as my contribution to the project. I also made a couple batches of complete kits for people. If there is enough interest I may make up one more batch on an updated PCB with the fix for the cocktail games.

#190 1 year ago
Quoted from Grangeomatic:

I have V1.4.[quoted image]

V1.4 is the version of the board I am working on. I think I have the updates done to the board. Just haven’t confirmed it yet. In order to test I had to get a couple cocktail displays (unknown if working) and had to make a cable. The cable is odd with pins removed from each of the display connectors. Lots of variables but once confirmed will post a method for updating it.

#191 1 year ago

I have good news! Just confirmed the updates to the rev 1.4 board. 4 cuts near the J5 connector and 5 jumpers.

The ribbon cable not only has a couple pins out on each of the connectors they also have a twist in the cable. All good and now I have a full set of Gameplan displays for bench testing any of the boards.

A9C324EE-1173-4256-873D-25D544E35247 (resized).jpegA9C324EE-1173-4256-873D-25D544E35247 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#194 1 year ago

If you use the V1.4 or earlier board in a standard upright pinball machine then this modification isn't required. It is only needed to fix an issue with the display on cocktail games using the J3 connector.

I am going to try and add the following set of pictures to the assembly manual but in the mean I wanted to post the fix for cocktail display J3 connector on the V1.4 boards (may work on v1.3 but don't have an example here to try).

There are two issues. One was a missed ENABLE signal going to the J3 for the cocktail displays. The other was something that was sort of caused by the way Gameplan renamed signals for the same lines. On the cocktail connector the display clock lines were renamed. They actually trace back to different lined on the J9 connector for the upright pinballs. The renaming of the signal lines can frustrate someone doing repairs too.

In order to fix this (4) four traces need to be cut and then (5) jumper wires added. This is best done with a fine wire wrap style wire. The pictures in this first post show an image of the board along with an image showing the three cuts on the top and one cut on the bottom. I use a sharp hobby knife and use a meter to confirm they are properly open. So, 4 cuts and 5 jumper wires and then the cocktail displays will work on that J3 connector.

20220925_100653 (resized).jpg20220925_100653 (resized).jpg20220925_101033 (resized).jpg20220925_101033 (resized).jpg20220925_101450 (resized).jpg20220925_101450 (resized).jpg

#195 1 year ago

First three jumpers installed on the component side of the PCB.

20220925_111157 (resized).jpg20220925_111157 (resized).jpg20220925_111442 (resized).jpg20220925_111442 (resized).jpg20220925_112018 (resized).jpg20220925_112018 (resized).jpg
#196 1 year ago

Pictures that show the long two jumper wires that need to be added. After these are complete you are ready to use the board in your cocktail games.

20220925_112558 (resized).jpg20220925_112558 (resized).jpg20220925_113351 (resized).jpg20220925_113351 (resized).jpg20220925_113357 (resized).jpg20220925_113357 (resized).jpg
#197 1 year ago

I believe the J3 connector has been fixed in the latest PCB files so this fix should only be needed on V1.4 and earlier PCB's.

3 weeks later
#199 1 year ago

Anyone soldering your own boards may want to reference this excellent guide by NASA:

https://workmanship.nasa.gov/lib/insp/2%20books/links/sections/601%20General%20Requirements.html

1 week later
#201 1 year ago
Quoted from Uffe:

Hi everyone.
Installed my circuit board, it starts with 6 blinks goes for a few seconds then starts over again and again and again....
The soundcard playes the startup tune and if I am quick I can play for some seconds.....
Have the psu and mpu on the bench now...
Some ideas?
[quoted image][quoted image]

First I would try some of the other game selections. If you turn off all 4 switches and set it for Sharpshooter will it boot and stay up? To me it sounds lie it it booting but at some point crashes, watchdog kicks in, and it reboots. I would triple check all the proper components are installed in the proper locations. Maybe try a different NVRAM module.

7 months later
#214 10 months ago

I still have some of the spare components and thinking about making up some additional full kits like before. Anyone looking for a kit or fully assembled board? These will have sockets for all the IC's.

Just want to confirm the latest PCB files and will probably get a batch of boards made.

#219 10 months ago

I have some PCB's on the way. I'll do a proof build just to confirm everything is good and will get some additional kits packed up.

1 month later
#221 9 months ago

I did a couple proof builds which went well and shipped out one of the assembled boards. I have another assembled/tested ready to go and the kits are all ready as well. If anyone would like one just send a PM.

3 months later
#226 6 months ago

Do you have a logic probe? Can you check the reset signal on the CPU to see if it is resetting? Can you verify the EPROM is properly programmed? Do you have any IC chip testers? Some EPROM programmers like the TL866 can test many IC chips including the 8255 to confirm they are ok. However it doesn’t seem to do well at testing open collector IC chips and can flag good ones as bad.

#229 6 months ago
Quoted from jack_burton:

Hi everybody
thanks for trying to help me

Yes

thanks, this could help me

Yes, i have un logic probe, but i'm not an expert, i will try to test the reset
i don't have an IC chip tester.

Do you have an EPROM programmer? If so did you program the EPROM chip? If that isn't programmed with the code on it then the board won't work as there is no code for it to run.

#231 6 months ago
Quoted from jack_burton:

Yes, i have an EPROM programmer and done it
I test points 2 and 3 and they are pulsing, but not U11 pin13.
Do i need to change U11?

What programmer do you have? Reason I ask is that some of the programmers have a logic test feature and also act as a chip tester.

What binary file did you use?

Can you triple check on the back of the board for any solder bridges? Some of the pads are close together and can accidentally get a solder bridge.

Not sure where you sourced all your parts from. Did some come from China directly? These days there are lots of fake an remarked IC's out there.

Have you checked to ensure all the IC leads are actually in the socket ok. I've seen cases where alead folds under the chip instead of making a good contact and going in the socket as it should.

For all the boards I've done and kits I prepped I made sure to test the IC's. ACtually had a tube of NOS 8255 chips from NS and found a couple bad ones. Can't always assume the chips you got are ok.

#233 6 months ago
Quoted from jack_burton:

my programmer is a wellon vp-390
the file was "gp-mpu.bin", i can send it by mp if you want, size 256ko
i will check once again if there is no bridges, but haven't seen any
my parts come from China directly
yes, i have checked that the IC are correctly in the socket
if i buy an IC tester, which one do you recommend?
one like this?
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005004702733644.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.seoads.1.163d55c4AD49aB&p4p_pvid=202310251657031526854812163830003606554_1&s=p

One like that can do a decent job on testing many of the 74 series logic chips and the lm339.

#234 6 months ago

Another thing to check is the revision of the PCB and how you configured power for the NVRAM. Newer versions have a couple pads that should be jumpered. If using a STATIC RAM you can use a battery but install diodes. Need to double check that too.

#236 5 months ago
Quoted from jack_burton:

Hi
My pcb is a 1.5 version
I use a NVRAM with the jump on JP1
[quoted image][quoted image]

Those look correct. Also looks like you have real CPU and CTC chips.

When things don’t work can’t make any assumptions so that is why all the questions.

1 month later
#246 4 months ago
Quoted from jack_burton:

Really good news, the mpu is running.
The game start
A few problems to solve now:
when i test display, the first digit on the right for each player stay at 0 during all the test
During game, if i use flipper, the game stop and was bloqued
What can i do to solve this?

Have you gone through each of the settings (by using the test button on the coin door) then pressing the button on the MPU to reset each one? If not there will be garbage data in the NVRAM.

1 week later
#252 4 months ago

Have you replaced any of the capacitors on the Power board?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/build-your-own-gameplan-multi-mpu-board?tu=Robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.