Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Mbecker
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tjc02002.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I can tell you right now, it will cost well over $6k just in just the major parts. I started pricing out the parts to build an AFM from scratch not too long ago. I'm guessing the actual final price would be closer to $10k. A couple of people have built AFM's and MM's from scratch, and from what I read, their costs exceeded $10k.
    I don't mean to rain on your parade, but a project like this will be very expensive, very time consuming, and will require a lot of existing knowledge about how pinball machines work.
    After you've fixed or restored about 10 games, then you would probably be better equipped to tackle a project like this.
    Another option would be to build your own game. It will still be expensive, but you would not be restricted to trying to source parts that may be expensive or hard-to-find for a specific game. This approach will probably cost around $3k-$5k to get a basic game playing. You can also write your own game code/rules.
    http://pinballmakers.com
    You cannot rewrite or alter existing game ROMs. It is compiled code and not in an editable form. There are some exceptions where people have hacked them and made minor tweaks, but the original source code is unavailable. ROM hacking is not for a novice.
    I know the prospect of building your own game sounds exciting, but it's a very expensive endeavor and one that will take several years of study and effort to complete. Many people abandon the effort after a short time or after they find out how expensive it gets.
    You are far better off finding an inexpensive machine to repair, clean up, enjoy.

While I pretty much completely agree with all of this. I recently built an MM for $6600 total. I was very particular to get the best prices and I used an NBA donor game. Honestly my goal was to do it for less than 7k and I was hoping to be close to 6k. I feel I achieved my goal but from how it sounds others are well above 8k. While I personally am glad I did this, it wasn't worth all of the time although I feel I have gained some very good experience.

Juice box: if you just really want to do this then go for it. My advice is to plan very well and take your time figuring out where your gonna get all the parts. Download the ipdb parts list(.txt file) and format it so that you can start to manage all the parts. When I did MM I used MS excel to organize the parts list. Good luck!!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tjc02002.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/build-taf-from-ground-up?tu=tjc02002 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.