6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 158 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Ballz
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 60 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCF2877.JPG
    DSCF2847.JPG
    DSCF2869.JPG
    DSCF2870.JPG
    DSCF2872.JPG
    DSCF2841.JPG
    DSCF2789.JPG
    249.JPG
    248.JPG
    245.JPG
    246.JPG
    243.JPG
    242.JPG
    239.JPG
    237.JPG
    234.JPG

There are 158 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 6 years ago

I broke ground on my backyard arcade today.......and I only have 2 pins!......So here is my thoughts (justification).
    I have spent the last few years passing up potential deals, because I have no room in my gameroom inside, and don't just want to "store" good games in the garage. I have cathedral ceilings in my gameroom, and cannot fit anymore machines, because the knee walls are only 4'. I have no more "spare" rooms in my house, because I have 10 kids.
    I am only 46, so I figured I could spend the rest of my life filling it up. I am making it 20x40 with a room over. It is going to look like an old western jailhouse. I will do almost all the work myself, so it will not be very expensive....it will probably take me all this winter.
    I have been hearing everybody talk for years about how they want more machines, but run out of space. So I am taking an opposite approach....I figure if I build it "they" (the games) will come. Has anyone else ever taken this approach, or am I just crazy?

#2 6 years ago

You are my new best friend!

#3 6 years ago

I love you man.

When's the big party ?

LTG : )

#4 6 years ago

You are crazy, but you are not alone...

#5 6 years ago

10 kids...incredible

#6 6 years ago

Wood posts in the ground? Where do you live? Please post pictures as you progress and don't worry you won't be boring us we love this kind of stuff.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from vex:

10 kids...incredible

With today's food prices, I can't imagine the cost of feeding a family of 12. Ouch.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Wood posts in the ground? Where do you live?

yeah the "posts" are actually telephone poles...that was my first savings....free poles, sort of like a pole barn. I set, and plumbed 25 of them today. Now I just have to get a transit, and cut them all level for the sub-floor.

Quoted from snaroff:

With today's food prices, I can't imagine the cost of feeding a family of 12. Ouch.

LOL...plus horses, pigs, lambs etc....it is like I'm doctor effin' doolittle. Seriously though with all the kids, I will probably end up with 50 grandkids, so an arcade is practical.....at least that is the story I am telling the little lady...

#9 6 years ago

10 kids. Don't know how you do it. I am working on my 2nd kid and am waiting for my life to end. lol

#10 6 years ago

10 kids?

You deserve any good fortune which may come your way.

Good luck on the project.

#11 6 years ago

Wow. Awesome! What does your wife think of this plan? Are you just winging this or do you have plans/permits, etc.? Just wondering why the raised plan? Are you in a flood plain? Keep us posted on the progress. This is my dream too. Good luck!

Mike

#12 6 years ago

Very awesome, best of luck to you, the family & the game room!

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from papazit1963:

What does your wife think of this plan?

Funny you should ask...this past spring I got a home project "wish list" from my wife. It included a fireplace/mantel, built in bookshelves, and finishing a bathroom upstairs.....too bad for her I finished them all, so she has no horse in this race. Believe me, she gets what she wants too! Plus the kids love the games so it is an easier sell.

Quoted from papazit1963:

Are you just winging this or do you have plans/permits

Not winging it....I have a plan in my head. I know that sounds crazy, but I have already built horse barns and chicken coops on my land with no plans.....Hell I'm not a doctor, but I delivered 3 of my kids...lol. Where there is risk there is reward! I can already see it packed with games.

Quoted from papazit1963:

Just wondering why the raised plan? Are you in a flood plain?

All the poles will be cut lower. I want a crawl space too. It will not be any higher then my existing house, but I am going to have a room engineered into the trusses.

I am not in a flood plain...coastal Virginia.....I have 3000' of ditches around my land, and I have been through hurricanes that have dumped rain for days with no flooding.....However, you could run white water raft down my ditches.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from hooch333:

Funny you should ask...this past spring I got a home project "wish list" from my wife. It included a fireplace/mantel, built in bookshelves, and finishing a bathroom upstairs.....too bad for her I finished them all, so she has no horse in this race. Believe me, she gets what she wants too! Plus the kids love the games so it is an easier sell.

Not winging it....I have a plan in my head. I know that sounds crazy, but I have already built horse barns and chicken coops on my land with no plans.....Hell I'm not a doctor, but I delivered 3 of my kids...lol. Where there is risk there is reward! I can already see it packed with games.

All the poles will be cut lower. I want a crawl space too. It will not be any higher then my existing house, but I am going to have a room engineered into the trusses.
    I am not in a flood plain...coastal Virginia.....I have 3000' of ditches around my land, and I have been through hurricanes that have dumped rain for days with no flooding.....However, you could run White Water raft down my ditches.

I like your style. This will be great! Keep the pics coming on this thread.

Mike

3 weeks later
    #15 6 years ago

I been working alot more on the arcade. Used a transit to level the telephone poles. 6x6 girders with 10" lag bolts and hurricane straps. 2x10 floor joists....I know it is overkill, but I know there will be alot of weight from games.

DSCF2483.JPG DSCF2499.JPG

#16 6 years ago

Best of luck to you, I don't think you're crazy at all, but the people you asked are a bit biased =)

#17 6 years ago

My kids are home schooled....today the lesson was arcade building 101...

DSCF2487.JPG DSCF2500.JPG

#18 6 years ago

My house next =P jk

Looks good; way to go with "REAL LUMBER."

Homeschooling only fails when the parents are lazy. Kudos to you for teaching them carpentry.

Best of luck with your project and filling the room once complete.

#19 6 years ago

Dude, are you posting to pinside from a tear in the space time continuum? You're living in some weird alternate universe from the past. LOL
    Gotta ask, where are you located and what do you do for a living?

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

You're living in some weird alternate universe from the past.

...says the guy playing pinball.

Looks great, you got a nice place there and it must be fun with all the kids around.

We keep chickens too, and bees.

#21 6 years ago

Sorry, I meant that as a compliment with a little humor thrown in and I didn't add enough to my post to convey my thoughts properly. I gotta work on that. Hooch, you have got a really nice place, chickens, horses, building your own structure with the help from your 10 kids, wide open space. You don't see much of that in L.A. and you would run into tons of red tape trying to build something like that where I live. The place reminds me of that movie Witness with the Amish country. I was curious what part of the country that is and if you were a carpenter or in construction by trade because that looks like a daunting task.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from hooch333:

I have no more "spare" rooms in my house, because I have 10 kids.

Buy a farm and put them all to work!

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from hooch333:

... or am I just crazy?

No, you're just crazy. But I must be crazier for being envious of your huge family and huge spread you're building on. Good job and good luck.

#24 6 years ago

Seems a nice place to live and raise children!

Add a poll: "How long will it take to realize my new gameroom is too small ?...".
    Because this will happens eventually - (at least if it were me... )

#25 6 years ago

Finally finished sheeting the floor...back to work for 4 days then I start framing walls.

Gotta ask, where are you located and what do you do for a living?

I live down in South Eastern Virginia. Even though I have a degree in advertising, I got into the electrical field over 20 years ago. Now I work for a Steel Corporation in their maintenance dept. I mostly program PLC's for automation now. I work 4 on/4 off, so I have half the year off. That is why this was able to do so much Mon - Fri.

looks like a daunting task.

Yes it is a daunting task, but I have already built the house I live in, so I know I can do it. And to be honest, alot of things that looks difficult are not that hard when you start doing them. Plus there are you tube videos for just about everything now.

I must be crazier for being envious

You live in Montana....I am envious....when can I visit?

How long will it take to realize my new gameroom is too small ?...".
    Because this will happens eventually

Yeah, even though it looks like I am building a small extra house in my back yard....I cannot help but think I will be running out of space in a few years. Especially because I am filling it with more than just pinballs. I want to get Skeeball,shuffle bowler, synced racers,...etc, so space will go quick.

DSCF2513.JPG

1 week later
    #28 6 years ago

Finally started framing walls today

DSCF2541.JPG

#29 6 years ago

It doesn't look big enough........

#30 6 years ago

looks great

#31 6 years ago

Holy crap this is amazing!

#32 6 years ago

Wow you are an inspiration for us all.

Quoted from Mato:

It doesn't look big enough........

Nah its perfect, look at both sides of the door, 2 full rows face to face. Easy 20 pins in there, 2 per kid hehehe

Really, I have 2 kids and I think i'm getting submerge. Forget superheroes you are Da Man.

#33 6 years ago

Got all my roofing materials and my trusses yesterday.Friend is letting me borrow his lift to set trusses this Saturday. I don't have to be back to work until the 14th, so my goal is to get it totally dried in.

DSCF2552.JPG

#34 6 years ago

You are nothing short of amazing!

#35 6 years ago

Wows. I know this is just going to echo what everyone else has already said here, but color me impressed and jealous. This is going up really quickly. Congrats on livin' the dream! At the rate you work, I predict you'll outgrow that space at a rapid pace. Have you started planning the addition to this gameroom?

Congratulations, hooch333!

Sincerely,
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    www.ElephantEater.com

#36 6 years ago

Looking good-

I love your project, building things like this is a complete joy- I love putting it together and getting the flooring in nice and square and then the first wall... the second.. its plain awesome to see it come together when you start with a thought in your head and watch it appear in front of you. Looking really good!

Did you wrap that without external sheeting on the walls first?

I asked the question cause I have only ever wrapped over the OSB (or whatever your going to cover it with...) but that may be a climate thing... it was snowing when I got home from work today! HOLY CRAP!

#37 6 years ago

Cool man congrats, 10 kids huh? Are you running a sweat shop?

#38 6 years ago

Looking fantastic so far!!! Keep it up!!

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

10 kids huh? Are you running a sweat shop?

I thought that was the purpose of children

#40 6 years ago

/\/\/\....Noah....I see you are from Rochester,...cool,....I grew up in Irondequoit. Maybe we can get together sometime to play some pinball when I am back home.

I spent most of the day yesterday sheeting the outside of the building. In a few hours I start the trusses....this should be interesting....i have never done this before!

DSCF2573.JPG

#41 6 years ago

Looking great. I'm enjoying watching this thread.

#42 6 years ago

Not far off finished, looking awesome, what's the first pin to go in there?

#43 6 years ago

And....SHAZAM!!!....21/2 hours later we have trusses done! Time to start sheeting.

DSCF2580.JPG

#44 6 years ago

Awesome work.

That's going to be a great game room.

#45 6 years ago

Cripes, man. You build a whole game room faster than I can shop out 1 pin! Of course, if I wasn't on here so much I could get things done!

Good job! I'll be watching.

#46 6 years ago

That's it for the day...it is 90 degrees in October in Southern Va. It is starting to look a little more like a western jailhouse now.

DSCF2583.JPG

#47 6 years ago

/\

DSCF2583.JPG

#48 6 years ago

Terrific work, Hooch...Where about's in Southern VA? We have a vac place on Gaston in Bracey.

Just curious, and feel free to tell me to mind my own business, but the house in the foreground, is that your primary residence? Sure doesn't look like it would hold 10 kids. Where do you fit them all?!

#49 6 years ago

Fantastic job... very impressed

For those interested: could you prepare the instruction card for a "do-it-yourself" repro gameroom

#50 6 years ago

Again, this project is coming along perfectly!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 10,999.00
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Ghostbusters Pro Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.95
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 6.95
    $ 248.85
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    There are 158 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside