(45 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210413_214929 (resized).jpg
20210413_214917 (resized).jpg
wallpaper2you_467008 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).png
413D8527-2E7A-407E-AA0F-520048EEFA6C (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frenchmarky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 3 years ago

Years and years ago I installed the Oliver EBD rom with the odds/evens bonus bug fix and the little added extra feature of shooting the DELUXE letters in sequence, it was cool. That board went south and I put in an Altek CPU board. So fixing bugs/changing versions with an aftermarket board like that with multiple games coded into it is moot, right? Wish they made them with USB ports and the ability to do that somehow.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I think Alltek has the oliver version in it though.

Ah you are correct, I just tested it, bonus bug is fixed. I guess I figured they would have only used original Bally code so I never tried it. The little extra DELUXE sequence feature is not there though so maybe it's the code on IPDB that says it ONLY fixes the bonus bug.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Gottlieb Black Hole - if you have the replay scores set low and you manage to get to the lower playfield right away and accumulate enough bonus score to pass the replay level, you will get a replay for it, and then on ball drain, if you hadn't passed that same replay level, you get it again. This is because the game treats the bonus display as "player 5" (the software internally works for up to 6 players).

Never heard of that one, I'll have to try it on mine. It actually kinda makes sense as a reward - if you manage to get the replay level down below, you *deserve* two replays!

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

The just bonus bug fix on IPDB is relatively new vs. the oliver version.... try setting the dips like the Oliver version says

I verified it with sw. 27 on or off (changes the rules of how the sequence starts), either way the extra DELUXE sequence feature in his final custom version is not in there.

3 months later
#52 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Alltek doesn't want anyone messing with the software on their board - it's just a regular eprom though. Weebly has all the versions and extra ram/romspace for customization. I think Alltek has the oliver version in it though.

I must not have payed attention when I tested it before because I was playing a two player game today and the count sounded wrong, then I tested it again to make sure. The EBD 'bonus bug' is still in the code on my Altek-equipped EBD. Previously earned racks on player 2/4 are still scoring 63K instead of the correct 56K (one extra bonus of 7000.)

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Strange, I have an EBD with an Altek board (that I installed a LONG time ago) and do not have this bug. Though I definitely did have the bug with my original Bally board.

Mines only about 2 years old. The first time I tested it and believed the bug was gone, I must have forgotten the specifics of the bug and only tested the first full rack scoring at the end of the same ball with which it was completed (when it does score the rack correctly for 56K), not after subsequent ball drains when that rack it is then scored from storage via the '56K' lamp... and scores wrong as 63K.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Yeah, I'm familiar with the bug...and I most definitely used to have it when I was running the original MPU. But I have not seen it since putting in the Altek (probably about 10 years ago).

Can you take a look at your Altek board and see what the version # is on the rom chip? Mine is 9.1. Thanks

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

If one of you is using the free play setting that could also make a difference

I tried my Altek with the free play turned on and off, no effect on the pesky bonus bug, nothing I tried did. Now that I know the bug is still there I may end up just swapping the Altek into my Lightning, then put the Oliver roms into the Lightning mpu, I already have the Oliver roms from the EBD's previous old kaput mpu. Plus I'd get back the Oliver DELUXE feature back. Or I'll get a new Dash board for the EBD with the Oliver roms and keep the old Lightning board, I could use an extra working one for testing purposes anyway.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Here are some pics of my Altek board inside my EBD-LE.
It shows a version for both the ROM and the CPU (?).
This is the ROM that came with it, and it hasn't been messed with since I installed it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah that's a much older one than mine for sure, discrete resistors/caps instead of SMDs, some different chips, different layout and still uses a battery pack. Actually I'm kind of surprised 'new' boards would have the EBD bug fix or any other bug fix. I'd think they would need to stick with the licensed code for each game. For buyers too, like "hey I want the original code, not some altered version." Though they did add the free play option which works via one of their own added DIP switches but I don't know if that means they had to actually make changes to each game's code or it functions some other way(?)

... Now I see the Weebly board does have both original and some custom game codes selectable on it including the Oliver EBD version.

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

If that's the case, then maybe the bug is only fixed in the "free play" half, and not fixed in the "coin play" half.

The free play DIP on your early Altek appears to be 'on', I guess you could try turning it off and see if the bug comes back. Had no effect on the EBD bug in my newer one either way though.

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

More Black Hole bugs..... really, system 80 bugs. If you have larger game roms the OS never tests rom 2. If there's an error in rom 1 but in the upper half of it, it reports it as rom2 bad, when in fact, it's still rom 1. (basically any game after Counterforce never checks the range $1400-$17FF, so you could have a bad gamerom 2 and the game will not report it)

Also the BH bug where if a ball's first score is other than via one of the upper three rollovers (or the rollover switch hit does not register), it usually goes off track on the next ball and the rest of the game it thinks it's got multiple players and the wrong displays are lighting up etc.

#74 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I tested that and it didn't happen on v4. Maybe just a v2 thing.
You can get the score to advance wonky to non-playing players if the trough switches are off, but not in relation to anything on the playfield/hit first. But there should be a check in the beginning of a ball if the current player score location is > # of players obviously something would be off. Probably occurs partially because players 5 and 6 are used for bonus displays in some games.

Yeah mines a v2, I didn't even know the bug existed until I had the glass off one day for testing some stuff and noticed when I manually scored things with the ball still sitting in the shooter, it would go bat crazy on the next ball.

2 years later
#88 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Eight ball deluxe: If you have maximum credits, when you get the inline standup special, you get 50k instead of a knock (obviously you shouldn't get the credit, but so odd that they specifically did it this way

So what would have been the typical way to handle it when credits are maxed - 1) When Special is lit, award nothing, 2) when Special is supposed to be lit, default it to lighting the 50K instead, or 3) just don't light the Special? I don't even know what the other Specials award at max credits, never tried it on mine.

#90 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I kinda think it's not a 'bug' - they did it that way on purpose. I mean, if I was at max credits, and played real hard to get the special lit.. I'd want SOMETHING awarded.

Yeah if it's isolated to that particular Special it's more of a "why did they do it here but not there?". The left lane Special can alternate with 50K too.

5 months later
#99 7 months ago

I used to have a System 6 Williams 'Blackout' that I had already fixed up and was working 100% (and when I had it the game was only 4 or 5 years old). One day I decided to see if anything weird would happen if I intentionally drained the last ball after manually scoring 1,000,000 to roll the score over to all zeroes '000000'. It went kooky, firing off a bunch of coils and blew a fuse before I could shut it off. Didn't do any damage except the fuse. Seems like that 1 out of 100,000 bug would be related to the basic Sys 6 code vs. the game code.

#101 7 months ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Ending game on zero probably unexpected possibility and makes the CPU jump out of the software program and then random stuff happens.

1 out of 100,000 if was totally random but of course it's much less likely than that because of the difficulty of getting the score to a million or more in the first place. Probably extremely unlikely that it would occur only once within the entire production of Blackout or the entire production of Sys6. Unless it's done on purpose, but I had to take the glass off to do that.

#103 7 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

Try tilting all 3 balls to get zero for the game.

It was a long time ago but thinking back I probably tried that first since it would be easy, and initially I was thinking more like 'what if the score ended with zero points', and it didn't do anything weird so then I tried the forced 1,000,000 trick. And I honestly thought this trick even less likely to do anything goofy than a game ending with all tilts.

Ending with zero could happen on location if some player with a ton of credits decided to try it once with a few shoves... or say the tilt was stuck closed. I believe if tilt bob closures setting was '1' then the game would just serve up tilted balls and if all of them were shot by the player the game would also end with an actual zero score. Both seem like things more likely for the designers to worry about than the 1,000,000 thing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 179.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 169.00
750 (Firm)
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frenchmarky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bugs-in-early-solid-state-games?tu=frenchmarky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.