(Topic ID: 255772)

Bugs Bunny Birthday Ball - It's a club, now Bash Away!

By SadSack

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by izzy
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What do you think?”

• Love it! 11 votes
    19%
  • Hate it! 20 votes
    35%
  • It's OK! 11 votes
    19%
  • Never played it! 15 votes
    26%

(57 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20211117_113949708 (resized).jpg
IMG_20211116_200343029 (resized).jpg
IMG_20211106_121649151 (resized).jpg
VID-20210930-WA0002_exported_239 (resized).jpg
IMG_20211014_200855888 (resized).jpg
IMG_20211014_201205687 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210101_171253543 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201123_231538458.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20201123_231600286 (resized).jpg
BBBB apron decal (resized).jpg
AD2004E7-8B0C-48AC-BD38-C02690AF142A (resized).jpeg
AF8F89F7-F7E1-4C69-ABE1-0CB5702DD2E1 (resized).jpeg
BBBB 4_LI (resized).jpg
unnamed (resized).jpg
CC4E1D33-872E-42A1-B05A-CC9D965D9DDD (resized).jpeg
ACF97BCB-507D-46B5-8B43-B58EC8D1421B (resized).jpeg
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

OK, gang, I just got this one yesterday and see there is hardly anything posted on pinside about it other than how terrible the game is. My game is a European re-import. It is going on route as soon as I find a suitable location. I have to say, I like the game. I don't think I love it, but I do like the game so far. Mine is playing 100% and it's pretty fun! It reminds me of other games with a unique feature such as Pinball Circus. The one disappointment is that the code never accommodated a multi-ball even though 2 balls are required in the trough. It seems like an easy lock-up in the saucer, but was just never finished.

The beauty of this game seems to be it's a bash-fest with a lop-sided ruleset. The gifts at the end are ridiculous and there is a 50 Million score possibility that seems completely ridiculous.

If pinball is about having fun, this game is about pinball. I think the art is fantastic, the sounds annoyingly entertaining and the inverted playfield is brutal to achieve the goal of getting all the eggs. I haven't learned the winning strategy yet, but I'm going to master it before I begin complaining.
bugs (resized).jpgbugs (resized).jpg2019-11-17 17.49.57 (resized).jpg2019-11-17 17.49.57 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

I like it for what you have mentioned. It is way better than Thunderbirds so win win IMO

#3 4 years ago

Any better pics of the playfield? Sounds interesting and I really like the looks of pinball circus even though I've never had a chance to play one or even ever seen one in person.

#4 4 years ago

Playfield and inverted playfield in the upper left corner.

2019-11-17 17.58.51 (resized).jpg2019-11-17 17.58.51 (resized).jpg2019-11-17 17.59.02 (resized).jpg2019-11-17 17.59.02 (resized).jpg
#5 4 years ago

A little gameplay video:

#6 4 years ago

Are using a carrot to take pictures?

#7 4 years ago

May God have mercy on your soul.

#8 4 years ago

I never thought it was quite as bad as its reputation. There are some major flaws, namely a third of the playing space is taken up by that unique but not very fun inverted playfield, leaving limited and easy shots on the other side. I love the art and color. Great lighting, too. Love playing it when I see it (Pinball Wizard in NH used to have one), but one or two plays is enough to last me a couple years. Unfortunately there's little depth and challenge.

6 months later
#9 3 years ago

Sad Sack - thank you for starting this club! I just picked one up yesterday and it's a mess (mostly due to smoke) but I am going to restore this "legendary" pinball and flip it. Given the the theme and that Looney Toons is making a comeback (new Netflick? cartoons coming out), I can maybe even turn a profit. No, I won't be able to sell it to the pinball insider community, but like most of the pins I restore and flip, they are sold to newbies because of the theme alone. It's a simple easy game with a cool "drain" ramp and lots of people will be interested once it's restored (and doesn't smell).

The good - it works. 100% functional it seems.
The bad - need new plastics (yellow with nicotine), need new cabinet decals, would love new ramps but I'll try and fix.

Yes, if any one stumbles across these postings they'll say I'm putting perfume on a pig (expensive perfume too). But I am determined to prove I can make a profitable flip out of this. Pics soon.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Doc @ www.PinballPrices.com

#10 3 years ago

I love the theme so much I picked up a NOS playfield to have as a spare ..

#11 3 years ago

Where did you find one? I have some issues in both the Mylar and non-Mylar areas. I can’t understand why these manufacturers wouldn’t just Mylar the whole playfield.

#12 3 years ago

Nothing like beating a friend and then having your score magically swapped with them at the end. Priceless.

#13 3 years ago

I'm going to try a few new things in the restoration of BBBB. I have some restoration experience, but my expertise is mostly in the mechanics and cabinet art work, not the playfield. This playfield has severely yellowed in the non-Mylar areas. [Why in the world did these manufacturers not just go ahead for a few cents more and mylar the entire playfield?]

I've cleaned and cleaned but the yellow staining is not going to come out without taking all the artwork with it. So, I'm going to experiment with the lower playfield by removing the mylar (freeze it), scanning it, cleaning up the colors, and print a whole new lower playfield on vinyl sticker paper. Apply that over the lower playfield then cover with mylar.

On the upper playfield, I want to remove the existing mylar, scan worn artwork, print new sections of the playfield with vinyl stickers, and recover the entire playfield with one large sheet of mylar. It won't hide 100% of the yellowing but it will hide a great deal of it. It will also fix the mylar bubbling issues. I am going to try and hide the seams of the vinyl by scanning larger sections of the playfield rather than just main character artwork. The edges should be hidden under the plastics and ramps.

Am I missing something or could this work?

#14 3 years ago

Here you can see the yellowing of the upper playfield and the fading of the blue on the lower playfield.

IMG_6635 (resized).jpgIMG_6635 (resized).jpgIMG_6695 (resized).jpgIMG_6695 (resized).jpgIMG_6696 (resized).jpgIMG_6696 (resized).jpg
#15 3 years ago

Here's the scanned lower playfield that has been touched up using paint.net software. Colors have been redone and worn areas touched up. I'll print this on vinyl gloss paper 11 x 17. My only big issue, I hope, is the birthday cake candles. I can cut the vinyl pretty easily for the egg inserts, but the candles present a problem. If you look closely on the actual playfield, the upper area of the cake is a sticker rather than a silk screened playfield. The sticker is over an orange insert and has clear areas (candle shaped) for the light to shine through. Not sure how to handle that. The candles are so small it would be hard to cut out. I may just cut a perfect circle around the original sticker and leave it in place. There will likely be color differences but I'll try. Note: This is a jpg of the playfield not a picture of the completed version.

BBBB lower playfield v1 (resized).pngBBBB lower playfield v1 (resized).png

#16 3 years ago

The callouts on Bugs are some of the best

2 weeks later
#17 3 years ago

Here's the flat bed scan of the entire playfield (untouched) then stitched together using ICE (Image Composite Editor) freeware from Microsoft. Best and easiest stitch program I could find. The second image is an almost completed Photoshop color touch up.

I am working with a printer to print the entire playfield on vinyl decal ($50) then cover entire playfield in the single decal then clear coat with gloss Varathane spray cans. No idea if I can make this work. I've read all the posts that warns that vinyl will stretch but it's a low cost solution to restore and flip this pin. Plus if it works I have 2 other pins to try it on also. It could all be a total disaster but it's worth a try.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1spJkRhWGCBn0wSxiBx6EmPzb0JpkCsOC/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g8UW27ivd6wUkFMgAMGpvZ8dquufLh0M/view?usp=sharing

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from DocFinlay:

Here's the flat bed scan of the entire playfield (untouched) then stitched together using ICE (Image Composite Editor) freeware from Microsoft. Best and easiest stitch program I could find. The second image is an almost completed Photoshop color touch up.
I am working with a printer to print the entire playfield on vinyl decal ($50) then cover entire playfield in the single decal then clear coat with gloss Varathane spray cans. No idea if I can make this work. I've read all the posts that warns that vinyl will stretch but it's a low cost solution to restore and flip this pin. Plus if it works I have 2 other pins to try it on also. It could all be a total disaster but it's worth a try.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1spJkRhWGCBn0wSxiBx6EmPzb0JpkCsOC/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g8UW27ivd6wUkFMgAMGpvZ8dquufLh0M/view?usp=sharing

You'll want higher resolution scans than these if you're going to attempt an overlay, at least 300 dpi, or even 600 dpi. 72 dpi ain't gonna cut it.

#19 3 years ago

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

You'll want higher resolution scans than these if you're going to attempt an overlay, at least 300 dpi, or even 600 dpi. 72 dpi ain't gonna cut it.

Thanks. They are all done at 400 dpi.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from DocFinlay:

Thanks. They are all done at 400 dpi.

My bad, the scans from the Google Drive links were 72 dpi.

#22 3 years ago

I love Bugs in drag coming out of the cake on the middle of the playfield.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

I love Bugs in drag coming out of the cake on the middle of the playfield.

It's a very progressive machine.

2 months later
#24 3 years ago

I decided to start with the lower playfield to see if this vinyl decal approach will work (cheaper to fix if I screw up). The biggest issue was the artwork over the inserts that light up the lower playfield birthday cake and the eggs. I decided to sand off the artwork because i think the vinyl will be thin enough to allow the light to shine through. Here's the progress and the end result (without lights yet). See earlier pictures for what the lower looked like before.

After the decal was applied, I applied 2 coats of Rust-Oleum gloss clear, allowed to dry 24 hours, then used a water slide decal for the text. Once that dried I used 2 more coats of clear coat. I wasn't sure how great the spray on clear coat would protect the playfield, so I am using a clear playfield protector purchased on eBay. So far it looks pretty good and the art will stay fresh a long time. If you zoom in on the dog, there was some ink run because I hit the first coat with too much. I should have used a couple of very light sprays, then a heavy coat.

IMG_3869 (resized).JPGIMG_3869 (resized).JPGIMG_3881 (resized).JPGIMG_3881 (resized).JPGIMG_3883 (resized).JPGIMG_3883 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#25 3 years ago

Congratulations that looks great! I have a lot of wear on my upper play field, essentially a line worn down to the wood from the bloodhound to the cake. After seeing your solution I am considering trying it. Was the vinyl thin enough for the lights at the cake to shine through? I would love to see some final pics with lights when you have time. Are you considering doing it for the whole play field?

2 weeks later
#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Giebzilla:

Was the vinyl thin enough for the lights at the cake to shine through?

That is a key issue for me on both the upper and lower playfield. I think the solution will be using super bright LEDs in those spots. Also because the actual inserts are larger than the intended portion to shine through and I might have to mask certain portion of the plastic inserts from underneath.

Here are some progress pictures. BTW, I am only using the gloss rustoleum spray because I have a full playfield protector.

62376627180--3B91CB0F-BD97-40A8-879F-CFFF5F231B9D (resized).JPG62376627180--3B91CB0F-BD97-40A8-879F-CFFF5F231B9D (resized).JPGIMG-4092 (resized).jpgIMG-4092 (resized).jpgIMG-4147 (resized).jpgIMG-4147 (resized).jpgIMG-4224 (resized).jpgIMG-4224 (resized).jpgIMG_3881 (resized).JPGIMG_3881 (resized).JPG
#27 3 years ago

For the playfield text I used water slide decals and they turned out really well. After applying those, I hit the playfield with 2 more coats of gloss spray. I had already put 2 coats on the playfield "decal" to lock the ink in prior to applying it to the sanded playfield. I used water with dish soap mix when applying. The scan match playfield was not exact, but I've been able to work around slight differences. The playfield was scanned by me with a flatbed scanner, then stitched together with a program called ICE (Image Composite Editor). Simple to use and free. The playfield was printed on some sort of vinyl decal paper from a local printer for $50. It's turning out well I think.

IMG-4164 (resized).jpgIMG-4164 (resized).jpgIMG-4165 (resized).jpgIMG-4165 (resized).jpg
#28 3 years ago
Quoted from DocFinlay:

Where did you find one? I have some issues in both the Mylar and non-Mylar areas. I can’t understand why these manufacturers wouldn’t just Mylar the whole playfield.

I bought it off the guy that runs pinfest (Ivan). It has the mini playfield attached to the regular one still. Mine was HUO since new (I bought from the original owner). He never changed the rubbers at all and has insert wear where the candles are.

#29 3 years ago

Some love for BBBB. Fantastic!

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Some love for BBBB. Fantastic!

Best sounds and callouts!

#31 3 years ago

Can anyone tell me what post is actually supposed to go here? Thanks.

wrong post (resized).jpgwrong post (resized).jpg
#32 3 years ago
Quoted from DocFinlay:

Can anyone tell me what post is actually supposed to go here? Thanks.
[quoted image]

I think you are needing bumper post 6-32 MS, and I need to clean my playfield! Wow you can really see the grime with a close up.

ACF97BCB-507D-46B5-8B43-B58EC8D1421B (resized).jpegACF97BCB-507D-46B5-8B43-B58EC8D1421B (resized).jpegCC4E1D33-872E-42A1-B05A-CC9D965D9DDD (resized).jpegCC4E1D33-872E-42A1-B05A-CC9D965D9DDD (resized).jpeg
#33 3 years ago

Got a nice BBBB NOS playfield a few months back. The mini playfield is still attached.

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg
#34 3 years ago

Someone please sell me on the good points of this game. I've played it before and simply did not enjoy any aspects of it. It was in an arcade atmosphere.
I'm not trying to bash it as I have previously owned a universally hated game, Popeye, and I genuinely enjoyed playing it. For the right price I'd buy it again.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from tilt-master:

Someone please sell me on the good points of this game.

It's Bugs Bunny and friends...that "is" the good points....all I can think of when It comes to this pin.... too bad actually.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Giebzilla:

I think you are needing bumper post 6-32 MS, and I need to clean my playfield! Wow you can really see the grime with a close up.

Thanks!

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

It's Bugs Bunny and friends...that "is" the good points....all I can think of when It comes to this pin.... too bad actually.

I actually like the game. The one thing missing is the code for multi-ball. This game is super-robust on location, too!

#38 3 years ago

Need some help understanding some parts as I begin to reassemble. Yes, I took pictures that's not the issue. I just don't understand the purpose of the two clear "posts" associated with the circle ramp. The one circled in yellow hangs down from the ramp but doesn't really rest on the pop bumper as a support. The orange circle post comes up from the pop bumper cap but also does not seem to support the ramp. What am I missing here? Thanks. (This is an image off the internet but my game pics show the same set up)

BBBB 4_LI (resized).jpgBBBB 4_LI (resized).jpg
#39 3 years ago

Sweet! I'm in the club. I've been working on a new orchestration for the pinsound card I have in mine. Has anyone else explored this?

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from blueman01:

Sweet! I'm in the club. I've been working on a new orchestration for the pinsound card I have in mine. Has anyone else explored this?

Man that would be awesome for this title... hoping someone has one made??

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from DocFinlay:

I just don't understand the purpose of the two clear "posts" associated with the circle ramp.

Anyone? Does your BBBB have these same clear posts? Thanks

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from DocFinlay:

Anyone? Does your BBBB have these same clear posts? Thanks

Yes, I have the posts on mine as well. It also has rubber post protectors on them, leading me to believe that this was done to protect them from hits from balls. I have always thought the posts were designed to keep any potential air balls from becoming trapped in the dead end spaces of the plastic of the circular hole. However, I have owned my BBBB for many years and I have never seen an air ball come even remotely close to going up on the pops. I don’t know if this was just an over engineered precaution or it has some other purpose.

AD2004E7-8B0C-48AC-BD38-C02690AF142A (resized).jpegAD2004E7-8B0C-48AC-BD38-C02690AF142A (resized).jpegAF8F89F7-F7E1-4C69-ABE1-0CB5702DD2E1 (resized).jpegAF8F89F7-F7E1-4C69-ABE1-0CB5702DD2E1 (resized).jpeg

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Giebzilla:

Yes, I have the posts on mine as well.

Thank you! It does seem a bit over engineered but I'll put them back on. Thanks.

#44 3 years ago

I think there may be a ball trap there as well if that ramp isn't lined up just right.

#45 3 years ago

I have these "custom" apron decals on sale on ebay for $11.99 but if anyone here wants a set, let me know and I can send them to you for $5 to cover paper and shipping. I've simply colorized the carrot. Printed on glossy vinyl decal paper.

BBBB apron decal (resized).jpgBBBB apron decal (resized).jpg
#46 3 years ago

Hey DocFinlay have you printed drop target decals by any chance? I'd be interested in purchasing a set if you have.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from blueman01:

Hey DocFinlay have you printed drop target decals by any chance? I'd be interested in purchasing a set if you have.

Sent you a PM. Yes I have them.

1 week later
#48 3 years ago

A few details left to finish, but I think it turned out pretty nicely.

So, now I'm going to try and sell it for $3,000. Let the trolls out! yes, $3K. No, no pinsider would probably buy it at that price, but this is a good starter pin for families and it's Christmas time, so I'm hopeful. And yes, as I was blasted for a previous high dollar sale by the trolls, I am the guy who runs PinballPrices.com but actually there was a Bugs that sold in August 2019 on ebay for $4350! Theme is everything to a pinball newbie - that's why my first pin was a Super Mario Bros.

#49 3 years ago

WHat's up, Doc? I think the game is well worth 3 grand if it's pretty cherry. This is the most solid player I've ever had on location.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 29.99
$ 18.95
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bugs-bunny-birthday-ball-bash-away?hl=jake35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.