New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 255772)

Bugs Bunny Birthday Ball - It's a club, now Bash Away!

By SadSack

11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Blitzburgh99
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What do you think?”

• Love it! 6 votes
    17%
  • Hate it! 13 votes
    37%
  • It's OK! 4 votes
    11%
  • Never played it! 12 votes
    34%

(35 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG-4165 (resized).jpg
IMG-4164 (resized).jpg
IMG-4224 (resized).jpg
IMG-4147 (resized).jpg
IMG_3881 (resized).JPG
62376627180--3B91CB0F-BD97-40A8-879F-CFFF5F231B9D (resized).JPG
IMG-4092 (resized).jpg
IMG_3869 (resized).JPG
IMG_3883 (resized).JPG
IMG_3881 (resized).JPG
BBBB lower playfield v1 (resized).png
IMG_6635 (resized).jpg
IMG_6696 (resized).jpg
IMG_6695 (resized).jpg
2019-11-17 17.59.02 (resized).jpg
2019-11-17 17.58.51 (resized).jpg

#1 11 months ago

OK, gang, I just got this one yesterday and see there is hardly anything posted on pinside about it other than how terrible the game is. My game is a European re-import. It is going on route as soon as I find a suitable location. I have to say, I like the game. I don't think I love it, but I do like the game so far. Mine is playing 100% and it's pretty fun! It reminds me of other games with a unique feature such as Pinball Circus. The one disappointment is that the code never accommodated a multi-ball even though 2 balls are required in the trough. It seems like an easy lock-up in the saucer, but was just never finished.

The beauty of this game seems to be it's a bash-fest with a lop-sided ruleset. The gifts at the end are ridiculous and there is a 50 Million score possibility that seems completely ridiculous.

If pinball is about having fun, this game is about pinball. I think the art is fantastic, the sounds annoyingly entertaining and the inverted playfield is brutal to achieve the goal of getting all the eggs. I haven't learned the winning strategy yet, but I'm going to master it before I begin complaining.
bugs (resized).jpg2019-11-17 17.49.57 (resized).jpg

#2 11 months ago

I like it for what you have mentioned. It is way better than Thunderbirds so win win IMO

#3 11 months ago

Any better pics of the playfield? Sounds interesting and I really like the looks of pinball circus even though I've never had a chance to play one or even ever seen one in person.

#4 11 months ago

Playfield and inverted playfield in the upper left corner.

2019-11-17 17.58.51 (resized).jpg2019-11-17 17.59.02 (resized).jpg
#5 11 months ago

A little gameplay video:

#6 11 months ago

Are using a carrot to take pictures?

#7 11 months ago

May God have mercy on your soul.

#8 11 months ago

I never thought it was quite as bad as its reputation. There are some major flaws, namely a third of the playing space is taken up by that unique but not very fun inverted playfield, leaving limited and easy shots on the other side. I love the art and color. Great lighting, too. Love playing it when I see it (Pinball Wizard in NH used to have one), but one or two plays is enough to last me a couple years. Unfortunately there's little depth and challenge.

6 months later
#9 4 months ago

Sad Sack - thank you for starting this club! I just picked one up yesterday and it's a mess (mostly due to smoke) but I am going to restore this "legendary" pinball and flip it. Given the the theme and that Looney Toons is making a comeback (new Netflick? cartoons coming out), I can maybe even turn a profit. No, I won't be able to sell it to the pinball insider community, but like most of the pins I restore and flip, they are sold to newbies because of the theme alone. It's a simple easy game with a cool "drain" ramp and lots of people will be interested once it's restored (and doesn't smell).

The good - it works. 100% functional it seems.
The bad - need new plastics (yellow with nicotine), need new cabinet decals, would love new ramps but I'll try and fix.

Yes, if any one stumbles across these postings they'll say I'm putting perfume on a pig (expensive perfume too). But I am determined to prove I can make a profitable flip out of this. Pics soon.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Doc @ www.PinballPrices.com

#10 4 months ago

I love the theme so much I picked up a NOS playfield to have as a spare ..

#11 4 months ago

Where did you find one? I have some issues in both the Mylar and non-Mylar areas. I can’t understand why these manufacturers wouldn’t just Mylar the whole playfield.

#12 4 months ago

Nothing like beating a friend and then having your score magically swapped with them at the end. Priceless.

#13 4 months ago

I'm going to try a few new things in the restoration of BBBB. I have some restoration experience, but my expertise is mostly in the mechanics and cabinet art work, not the playfield. This playfield has severely yellowed in the non-Mylar areas. [Why in the world did these manufacturers not just go ahead for a few cents more and mylar the entire playfield?]

I've cleaned and cleaned but the yellow staining is not going to come out without taking all the artwork with it. So, I'm going to experiment with the lower playfield by removing the mylar (freeze it), scanning it, cleaning up the colors, and print a whole new lower playfield on vinyl sticker paper. Apply that over the lower playfield then cover with mylar.

On the upper playfield, I want to remove the existing mylar, scan worn artwork, print new sections of the playfield with vinyl stickers, and recover the entire playfield with one large sheet of mylar. It won't hide 100% of the yellowing but it will hide a great deal of it. It will also fix the mylar bubbling issues. I am going to try and hide the seams of the vinyl by scanning larger sections of the playfield rather than just main character artwork. The edges should be hidden under the plastics and ramps.

Am I missing something or could this work?

#14 4 months ago

Here you can see the yellowing of the upper playfield and the fading of the blue on the lower playfield.

IMG_6635 (resized).jpgIMG_6695 (resized).jpgIMG_6696 (resized).jpg
#15 4 months ago

Here's the scanned lower playfield that has been touched up using paint.net software. Colors have been redone and worn areas touched up. I'll print this on vinyl gloss paper 11 x 17. My only big issue, I hope, is the birthday cake candles. I can cut the vinyl pretty easily for the egg inserts, but the candles present a problem. If you look closely on the actual playfield, the upper area of the cake is a sticker rather than a silk screened playfield. The sticker is over an orange insert and has clear areas (candle shaped) for the light to shine through. Not sure how to handle that. The candles are so small it would be hard to cut out. I may just cut a perfect circle around the original sticker and leave it in place. There will likely be color differences but I'll try. Note: This is a jpg of the playfield not a picture of the completed version.

BBBB lower playfield v1 (resized).png

#16 4 months ago

The callouts on Bugs are some of the best

2 weeks later
#17 3 months ago

Here's the flat bed scan of the entire playfield (untouched) then stitched together using ICE (Image Composite Editor) freeware from Microsoft. Best and easiest stitch program I could find. The second image is an almost completed Photoshop color touch up.

I am working with a printer to print the entire playfield on vinyl decal ($50) then cover entire playfield in the single decal then clear coat with gloss Varathane spray cans. No idea if I can make this work. I've read all the posts that warns that vinyl will stretch but it's a low cost solution to restore and flip this pin. Plus if it works I have 2 other pins to try it on also. It could all be a total disaster but it's worth a try.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1spJkRhWGCBn0wSxiBx6EmPzb0JpkCsOC/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g8UW27ivd6wUkFMgAMGpvZ8dquufLh0M/view?usp=sharing

#18 3 months ago
Quoted from DocFinlay:

Here's the flat bed scan of the entire playfield (untouched) then stitched together using ICE (Image Composite Editor) freeware from Microsoft. Best and easiest stitch program I could find. The second image is an almost completed Photoshop color touch up.
I am working with a printer to print the entire playfield on vinyl decal ($50) then cover entire playfield in the single decal then clear coat with gloss Varathane spray cans. No idea if I can make this work. I've read all the posts that warns that vinyl will stretch but it's a low cost solution to restore and flip this pin. Plus if it works I have 2 other pins to try it on also. It could all be a total disaster but it's worth a try.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1spJkRhWGCBn0wSxiBx6EmPzb0JpkCsOC/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g8UW27ivd6wUkFMgAMGpvZ8dquufLh0M/view?usp=sharing

You'll want higher resolution scans than these if you're going to attempt an overlay, at least 300 dpi, or even 600 dpi. 72 dpi ain't gonna cut it.

#19 3 months ago

#20 3 months ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

You'll want higher resolution scans than these if you're going to attempt an overlay, at least 300 dpi, or even 600 dpi. 72 dpi ain't gonna cut it.

Thanks. They are all done at 400 dpi.

#21 3 months ago
Quoted from DocFinlay:

Thanks. They are all done at 400 dpi.

My bad, the scans from the Google Drive links were 72 dpi.

#22 3 months ago

I love Bugs in drag coming out of the cake on the middle of the playfield.

#23 3 months ago
Quoted from SunnRAT:

I love Bugs in drag coming out of the cake on the middle of the playfield.

It's a very progressive machine.

2 months later
#24 46 days ago

I decided to start with the lower playfield to see if this vinyl decal approach will work (cheaper to fix if I screw up). The biggest issue was the artwork over the inserts that light up the lower playfield birthday cake and the eggs. I decided to sand off the artwork because i think the vinyl will be thin enough to allow the light to shine through. Here's the progress and the end result (without lights yet). See earlier pictures for what the lower looked like before.

After the decal was applied, I applied 2 coats of Rust-Oleum gloss clear, allowed to dry 24 hours, then used a water slide decal for the text. Once that dried I used 2 more coats of clear coat. I wasn't sure how great the spray on clear coat would protect the playfield, so I am using a clear playfield protector purchased on eBay. So far it looks pretty good and the art will stay fresh a long time. If you zoom in on the dog, there was some ink run because I hit the first coat with too much. I should have used a couple of very light sprays, then a heavy coat.

IMG_3869 (resized).JPGIMG_3881 (resized).JPGIMG_3883 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#25 22 days ago

Congratulations that looks great! I have a lot of wear on my upper play field, essentially a line worn down to the wood from the bloodhound to the cake. After seeing your solution I am considering trying it. Was the vinyl thin enough for the lights at the cake to shine through? I would love to see some final pics with lights when you have time. Are you considering doing it for the whole play field?

2 weeks later
#26 5 days ago
Quoted from Giebzilla:

Was the vinyl thin enough for the lights at the cake to shine through?

That is a key issue for me on both the upper and lower playfield. I think the solution will be using super bright LEDs in those spots. Also because the actual inserts are larger than the intended portion to shine through and I might have to mask certain portion of the plastic inserts from underneath.

Here are some progress pictures. BTW, I am only using the gloss rustoleum spray because I have a full playfield protector.

62376627180--3B91CB0F-BD97-40A8-879F-CFFF5F231B9D (resized).JPGIMG-4092 (resized).jpgIMG-4147 (resized).jpgIMG-4224 (resized).jpgIMG_3881 (resized).JPG
#27 5 days ago

For the playfield text I used water slide decals and they turned out really well. After applying those, I hit the playfield with 2 more coats of gloss spray. I had already put 2 coats on the playfield "decal" to lock the ink in prior to applying it to the sanded playfield. I used water with dish soap mix when applying. The scan match playfield was not exact, but I've been able to work around slight differences. The playfield was scanned by me with a flatbed scanner, then stitched together with a program called ICE (Image Composite Editor). Simple to use and free. The playfield was printed on some sort of vinyl decal paper from a local printer for $50. It's turning out well I think.

IMG-4164 (resized).jpgIMG-4165 (resized).jpg
#28 5 days ago
Quoted from DocFinlay:

Where did you find one? I have some issues in both the Mylar and non-Mylar areas. I can’t understand why these manufacturers wouldn’t just Mylar the whole playfield.

I bought it off the guy that runs pinfest (Ivan). It has the mini playfield attached to the regular one still. Mine was HUO since new (I bought from the original owner). He never changed the rubbers at all and has insert wear where the candles are.

#29 4 days ago

Some love for BBBB. Fantastic!

#30 4 days ago
Quoted from Toucanf16:

Some love for BBBB. Fantastic!

Best sounds and callouts!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 50.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 27.99
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 129.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Boards
PinSound
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 125.00
$ 18.95
€ 3.70
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside