(Topic ID: 219648)

Bug in Stern Star Wars Pro Hoth 2? And that spinner.

By cmdunn

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by cmdunn
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm a first-time poster. I have a Stern Star Wars (Pro), and updated the code to the most recent v1.03. I have two issues I'm hoping to get help with.

1. There are times when I play the Hoth 2 mission where it seems to become impossible to finish the mode: the screen says "Hit the Hoth Shot!" but that shot isn't lit nor does it do anything when I hit it (repeatedly). In fact, no Hoth-blue arrows appear on the playfield (but other lights work, such as combos). I've tried everything (I've cleared the FORCE targets multiple times and hit all of the Jedi training standups, even the pops and every other ramp/loop shot, and I've done it repeatedly) but nothing advances through to finish that mode. It doesn't always happen, and I can't say I know what causes this, but it seems to happen most when I lose my ball in the middle of the mode, which leads me to the next issue:

2. When I shoot the right orbit and the ball loops around to the spinner it seems that very often the spinner redirects the ball's path to go straight down the middle. I've tried tightening the screws holding the spinner but it still happens. (This is how I lose my ball doing Hoth 2: I shoot the right orbit and that spinner redirects the ball down the middle before I can finish the mode on the right inner loop.) Is there an adjustment I can make to stop this from happening, it's maddening.

Thanks for everyone's help, I've gotten a lot of great info from Pinside users in the past.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from cmdunn:

2. When I shoot the right orbit and the ball loops around to the spinner it seems that very often the spinner redirects the ball's path to go straight down the middle. I've tried tightening the screws holding the spinner but it still happens. (This is how I lose my ball doing Hoth 2: I shoot the right orbit and that spinner redirects the ball down the middle before I can finish the mode on the right inner loop.) Is there an adjustment I can make to stop this from happening, it's maddening.

Mine did this for a while. I bent the metal wall right above the spinner a bit and now it goes down to the left flipper

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from cmdunn:

1. There are times when I play the Hoth 2 mission where it seems to become impossible to finish the mode: the screen says "Hit the Hoth Shot!" but that shot isn't lit nor does it do anything when I hit it (repeatedly). In fact, no Hoth-blue arrows appear on the playfield (but other lights work, such as combos). I've tried everything (I've cleared the FORCE targets multiple times and hit all of the Jedi training standups, even the pops and every other ramp/loop shot, and I've done it repeatedly) but nothing advances through to finish that mode.

Ding Ding

Good work, i think I had the exact same bug. I didn't know I was in Hoth 2 at the time but you've filled that in for me.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-clubmay-the-force-be-with-you/page/100#post-4441120

#4 5 years ago

Thanks zacaj , it sounds like you bent the metal that the ball rolls through. Which way did you bend it, in (towards the left), or out?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ding Ding
Good work, i think I had the exact same bug. I didn't know I was in Hoth 2 at the time but you've filled that in for me.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-clubmay-the-force-be-with-you/page/100#post-4441120

Thanks for pointing me to that thread TheLaw , I looked all over for someone with a similar problem before starting a new thread. I looked through that one and didn't see a resolution, did you ever figure it out? Thanks for the help.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from cmdunn:

Thanks for pointing me to that thread thelaw , I looked all over for someone with a similar problem before starting a new thread. I looked through that one and didn't see a resolution, did you ever figure it out? Thanks for the help.

No I didn't. Now that I know it was hoth 2 I can run some tests though.
Do you happen to know what character you were playing?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No I didn't. Now that I know it was hoth 2 I can run some tests though.
Do you happen to know what character you were playing?

I was playing R2-D2. I can also say that this has happened whether I'm stacking modes or not, but if I do stack modes I think I recall this happening only after I've completed the other mode, leaving just hoth 2 to finish. And like I said, it seems like I need to lose a ball to trigger this. I don't know if it's just my rage from losing my ball to that spinner, but I seem to also recall that all of the shots might need to be made except the final one. Generally, since I'm so afraid of my ball draining from the right orbit to the left spinner, I save that one till I really need to hit it.

I'll go out and see if I can reproduce it and post if I find anything different.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from cmdunn:

I was playing R2-D2. I can also say that this has happened whether I'm stacking modes or not, but if I do stack modes I think I recall this happening only after I've completed the other mode, leaving just hoth 2 to finish. And like I said, it seems like I need to lose a ball to trigger this. I don't know if it's just my rage from losing my ball to that spinner, but I seem to also recall that all of the shots might need to be made except the final one. Generally, since I'm so afraid of my ball draining from the right orbit to the left spinner, I save that one till I really need to hit it.
I'll go out and see if I can reproduce it and post if I find anything different.

Well I've just tried all sorts of ways to reproduce this and I can't. Now, it seems that whatever I try, if I lose my ball before I hit the final shot it simply ends the mode and serves up a new ball with no modes running. It might be worth noting that it is often that I play the Hoth missions last, and perhaps it has something to do with Hoth 2 being the last mode I play or something.

#9 5 years ago

Yes when it happened to me Hoth was last as well.

#10 5 years ago

maybe take the glass off to test it more accurately?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from cmdunn:

Thanks zacaj , it sounds like you bent the metal that the ball rolls through. Which way did you bend it, in (towards the left), or out?

Out a bit, so it doesn't glance off the rubber below the spinner

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

maybe take the glass off to test it more accurately?

InfiniteLives Right, just now I had the glass off and tried a bunch of different scenarios. I think it happens to me once every 40 times I play that mode. I'll try some more and see what I can find.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bug-in-stern-star-wars-pro-hoth-2-and-that-spinner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.