IMG_3074 (1) (resized).JPG
IMG_2801_(resized).JPG
IMG_2744_(resized).JPG
IMG_2740_(resized).JPG
IMG_2675_(resized).JPG
IMG_2624_(resized).JPG
IMG_2625_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 486 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.
#251 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I'd like to know more about this. I may use a RGB system for the inserts on my coversion project.

There is a standard LED hardware module from pinballcontrollers that can support RGB. It just uses a two wire serial cable to connect to the P-roc/driver board chain. It uses directly wired RGB boards that easily mount under an insert. There are also break out boards available to make wiring easier. It is more wiring then a serial approach, but more reliable. When I started to play around with them, I added some code in my game to quickly tell if it is a standard or RGB lamp, so that both will play nice together. Also lets me upgrade the the lamps later without having to change code immediately. There are also RGB Flashers, but I've not played with those yet.

#252 8 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

If I don't need to come there, and you want to buy me a P^3, we can talk.

If there is a P3 in my house, it's not going anywhere.

#253 8 years ago

Wow 8 multiballs eh! All of these are possible in one game? Really, there must be some long ball times on this one.

#254 8 years ago
Quoted from horseypin:

Wow 8 multiballs eh! All of these are possible in one game? Really, there must be some long ball times on this one.

Ball times will very with player skill level, but yes, you could achieve all of them in one game. However, you'd have to be 1 hell of a player! This game can be both generous and brutal. I would consider myself an average player and I can have one game that will rock and the next game it's kicking my ass. I love it!

#255 8 years ago

Could you post your average from your audit? I'm just really curious now!

Quoted from Nelly:

I would consider myself an average player and I can have one game that will rock and the next game it's kicking my ass. I love it!

That sounds like it's working correctly to me It's not pinball if it doesn't make you eat your kidneys every now & again.

#256 8 years ago

Even though I hate to show the game in this unfinished state (no art changes yet, and pretty rough mock up of new layout) I feel some of you will still appreciate it, so here it is! Can you spot some of the changes?

IMG_0639.JPGIMG_0639.JPG

#257 8 years ago

New red ramp..chopped to divert to the wire form!

#258 8 years ago

Pinball is awesome!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#259 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

This is really really cool. I am super sad a SoF had to die. BUT I guess that makes all the other 2,704 SoF worth more...right Great work!

Eh, most people glowing over a SoF haven't played one much. Steve Ritchie was right about it being a dud. The best parts of it are the music and shadow like play field. It isn't bad or good but for the same money you could get baywatch, jd, strange science And hardbody And an EM, or others.

#260 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Can you spot some of the changes?
IMG_0639.JPG

Pretty sure I can spot all of them... Wait, I bet I'm not allowed to play.

Quoted from Det_Deckard:

Eh, most people glowing over a SoF haven't played one much. Steve Ritchie was right about it being a dud. The best parts of it are the music and Shadow like play field. It isn't bad or good but for the same money you could get Baywatch, jd, Strange Science And Hardbody And an EM, or others.

Personally, I think SoF is a pretty great game. As for the price getting out of control for this title, that all happened well after Nelly decided to use this title for the project (and thankfully well after he and I each managed to snag ours).

What I will way about SoF when you play it stock and really get to live with it for a while, it can start to feel like a three trick pony: Mini-PF, AVENGER, and Titans-lane multiball (and the multiball is just the first two over again). The loops are fun, but they don't really add much. The top center ramp has the physical capability to do a lot with its diverters, but doesn't really in practice. Overall SoF could use more flow and better rules.

And honestly, these last round of changes that we hashed out for the playfield (and Nelly has bravely and miraculously made a reality) really bring a different feel without fundamentally throwing out what makes SoF so great. Coupling the playfield changes with the new code, a player has a lot more to do when playing.

We think they are really awesome changes, and are looking forward to putting it out there at expo and finding out what everyone else thinks.

#261 8 years ago

Well said Michael!

1 month later
#262 8 years ago

Reworked artwork installed! Expo is just over 2 weeks away........I'm cutting this way too close again.

IMG_0881.JPGIMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0887.JPGIMG_0887.JPG

#263 8 years ago

on my Must see/play list for Expo !!

#264 8 years ago

How come a guy in his garage can seem to produce better PF art than Stern?

Quoted from Nelly:

Reworked artwork installed! Expo is just over 2 weeks away........I'm cutting this way too close again.
IMG_0881.JPG
IMG_0887.JPG

#265 8 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

How come a guy in his garage can seem to produce better PF art than Stern?

Because the guy in his garage can do whatever he wants and doesn't have to deal with licensor approval.

#266 8 years ago

That looks beautiful. If you have a failed playfield you don't want I would love it just for the wall art.

Bring it to Pintastic next year !!!!

#267 8 years ago

What a great work. Respect!

Greetings,

Bas

#268 8 years ago

I played it at expo last year and honestly I wasn't to thrilled. but I did watch this thread more closely and more excited to give it another go. I look forward to playing it at expo, now that I have more insight. Fantastic job on the playfield.

#269 8 years ago
Quoted from cavalier88z24:

I played it at expo last year and honestly I wasn't to thrilled. but I did watch this thread more closely and more excited to give it another go. I look forward to playing it at expo, now that I have more insight. Fantastic job on the playfield.

I'm hoping to impress everyone with the new code (which is already quite a bit better than last year's showing). Much like Dave, it feels like I'm running out of time, but we shall see.

#270 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

IMG_0881.JPG
IMG_0887.JPG

It wouldn't be a pinball show if we all weren't cutting it close! Looking forward to playing!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#271 8 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

I'm hoping to impress everyone with the new code (which is already quite a bit better than last year's showing). Much like Dave, it feels like I'm running out of time, but we shall see.

cool, love to play it. I know it takes time. appreciate it sir

#272 8 years ago

that is looking beautiful

#273 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

IMG_0881.JPG
IMG_0887.JPG

Looking good, Nelly. Is it gonna be clear-coated before EXPO or after?

#274 8 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Looking good, Nelly. Is it gonna be clear-coated before EXPO or after?

Bob has it as we speak.

#275 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Bob has it as we speak.

finished my clear coating on Monday night, so in a day or two I can start assembly. Sounds like we are pretty much in lock step I know based on comments from MOcean, we were both routing the new playfields at the same time. Time running short, and I don't have as much help as you do, since I do the software, art, clear coating, etc.

I know you have made a bunch of changes to the playfield, but are there an news ones in this version that have not been tested out? I've changed a few things in my machine that have never been tested and hoping they actually work as intended vs 'breaking' the shots/flow.

#276 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

... are there an news ones in this version that have not been tested out? I've changed a few things in my machine that have never been tested and hoping they actually work as intended vs 'breaking' the shots/flow.

We are in the same boat with a few of the playfield changes. At a minimum, we have added two up/down posts that are new and we need to refine their timing to not destroy the flow. We know they work, and I thankfully had the forethought to make these values easy to to tweak, but they will surey need tweaking.

Quoted from rosh:

... and I don't have as much help as you do, since I do the software, art, clear coating, etc.

Having more than one person on this project makes it easier by far, but having the code and machine in different places makes testing quite a bit harder. My "Swords of Buffy" (SoB) is many steps behind Nelly's at this point, so testing is done by a combination of pure pyprocgame simulator, Visual Pinball, and on rare occasion actually using my SoB machine. Unfortunately all the tests end with sending it along with fingers crossed...

Anyway, I have massive respect for your Kugler's pin. Doing the whole machine yourself, design, build, and software, is a crazy task. The fact that you've started your second machine is a real testimony to the hardness, and carbon core of your balls.

#277 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

finished my clear coating on Monday night, so in a day or two I can start assembly. Sounds like we are pretty much in lock step I know based on comments from MOcean, we were both routing the new playfields at the same time. Time running short, and I don't have as much help as you do, since I do the software, art, clear coating, etc.
I know you have made a bunch of changes to the playfield, but are there an news ones in this version that have not been tested out? I've changed a few things in my machine that have never been tested and hoping they actually work as intended vs 'breaking' the shots/flow.

Excellent! I look forward to checking out your artwork. It's got to feel good to finally have some on there. It really does bring things together. I remember after I went from whitewood to our first art rendering and it was like playing a whole new game.

Yeah, sounds like we are pretty much on the same track. Like Mocean said though, I have mad respect for someone like you that tackles pretty much every aspect of your build. I know I could never do that. Without Michael, Buffy would have faded into the background years ago! So its very cool to see people like you and Matt that do it all alone. Seriously, huge respect.

As for testing our changes, like Michael said, other that the timing issues with the up-posts that will likely have to be played with, everything else has pretty much been tested and is working well. I do have a ball flow issue on one of the new shot paths that will need to be worked out, but I will take care of that when assembling the new playfield. Oh, that and there is still plenty of new code for me to test on my machine once it is back up and running. No pressure Michael!

#278 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

It's got to feel good to finally have some on there.

A months or so back it struck me that no way I could I bring it back to expo as a white wood. Big change last year was the move to the larger, color display, so that was sort of where my focus was. So, while I don't love the art work, it is certainly a big step up.

Quoted from Nelly:

other that the timing issues with the up-posts that will likely have to be played with

Are you use switch rules in the p-roc or in code? If you (Michael) goes strictly as a switch event in code, you could run into an issue with latency, but with the performance elf the HD pyprocgame framework, that is likely not an issue unless you are running on a raspberryPi or a BBB or something similar. I think right now on my up post I am just doing a switch rule in code, not a mapping in the p-roc, so I can certainly share my settings on that (the switches are a five inches or so from the post). For the magnet I am installing now, I plan to use a p-roc switch rule, since the switch is directly above the magnet and any latency/delay in triggering it could be an issue (although in most cases it would just pull the ball back to it like a magna save).

#279 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

As for testing our changes, like Michael said, other that the timing issues with the up-posts that will likely have to be played with, everything else has pretty much been tested and is working well. I do have a ball flow issue on one of the new shot paths that will need to be worked out, but I will take care of that when assembling the new playfield. Oh, that and there is still plenty of new code for me to test on my machine once it is back up and running. No pressure Michael!

You sound swamped! I bet you're gonna need help beta-testing before EXPO. Lemme check my calendar...

#280 8 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

You sound swamped! I bet you're gonna need help beta-testing before EXPO. Lemme check my calendar...

Based on where he is at with things, that would be the night before expo.

#281 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Or with the head down, in the back of Dave's Jeep on the way to expo...

Im just kidding. The code won't be ready by the time it's loaded into the car.

#282 8 years ago

Rent an RV / mobile workshop. Just disconnect the tilt mechanism when playtesting.

#283 8 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

Rent an RV / mobile workshop. Just disconnect the tilt mechanism when playtesting.

We have wanted to do the RV thing but the doors are too narrow for a pin!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#284 8 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

two words . . .

blow torch

#285 8 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Aaron
FAST Pinball

Two words.... Fun Mover

(seriously, look it up. )

#286 8 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Just a little. I'll let you know when it's up and running for some test plays.

Quoted from rosh:

God, I hope not! only time will tell though!

Quoted from Mocean:

Or with the head down, in the back of Dave's Jeep on the way to expo...
Im just kidding. The code won't be ready by the time it's loaded into the car.

Haha, I often make the same comment that I will likely still be working on the game while we're driving to expo.

#287 8 years ago

AWESOME!

#288 8 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

wait a minute, don't you guys have a 'scooby doo' van? Thought you were showing off photos of it before one of the California shows.

#289 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

wait a minute, don't you guys have a 'scooby doo' van? Thought you were showing off photos of it before one of the California shows.

And I would have gotten away with it, too if it wasn't for those pesky kids...

#290 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Haha! That was a van that a friend of Brian's let us borrow! That thing was a spooky mystery of its own!

I don't think Dave would let us take a torch to his RV. Our idea was to pull the Playfield frame out and work on it in the RV and mount the cabinet on a bumper mount. He has taken a pin camping that way before!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#291 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Two words.... Fun Mover
(seriously, look it up. )

Whoa! I want a Fun Mover!!! Business write off???

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#292 8 years ago

Clearcoated and ready to go! T minus 13 days!

IMG_0930.JPGIMG_0930.JPG

IMG_0932.JPGIMG_0932.JPG

IMG_0928.JPGIMG_0928.JPG

#293 8 years ago

It was already awesome a year ago at Expo ... everyone is going to love it!

BTW Nicholas Brendon just got arrested again. Might want to add an Easter Egg "Arrest Xander" mode.

#294 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Clearcoated and ready to go! T minus 13 days!
IMG_0930.JPG
IMG_0932.JPG
IMG_0928.JPG

That looks nice! We went to get playfields cut last night and the CNC router was out of whack and wasted my boards. We switched to experimenting with laser cut MDF for the whitewoods... Let's see how THAT goes! 13 days.... ouch!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#295 8 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

13 days.... ouch!
Aaron
FAST Pinball

And I've got two days to build him 2 WPC Cabinets!

#296 8 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

And I've got two days to build him 2 WPC Cabinets!

Make it 3! I could use one!

#297 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Make it 3! I could use one!

If he made it I could probably bring it out. I am driving games out.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

1 week later
#298 8 years ago

three_days.pngthree_days.png

#299 8 years ago

Only 1 day to go! We are so close! The game is nearly 100% back together and now its a mad crunch to get as much code and testing in that we can. Why cant we have another week???

IMG_1073.JPGIMG_1073.JPG

#300 8 years ago

I have faith you can do it! Besides, I want to play this tomorrow See you then!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 27.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 486 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-pinball/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.