IMG_3074 (1) (resized).JPG
IMG_2801_(resized).JPG
IMG_2744_(resized).JPG
IMG_2740_(resized).JPG
IMG_2675_(resized).JPG
IMG_2624_(resized).JPG
IMG_2625_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 486 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.
#201 9 years ago

Top notch work. looks great!

#202 9 years ago

This is really really cool. I am super sad a SoF had to die. BUT I guess that makes all the other 2,704 SoF worth more...right Great work!

#203 9 years ago

Really, really nice !

#204 9 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

This is really really cool. I am super sad a SoF had to die.

For Buffy to come to life - it's so worth it! Need Sarah Michelle Gellar to come play and sign it.

#205 9 years ago

thanks for the info on the ramps and also the video - your machine looks awesome, love the timber look coin door, flippers and ramps and the art looks great especially the logo near the flippers - looks like metal. Also nice touch with the tranlite art continuing down into the lcd / dmd panel - little touches that make the machine look so professional.

One beautiful machine, I want one. Well done

#206 9 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Beautiful Dave, just beautiful! Can't wait to meet you and flip it at EXPO.

Thanks! I am looking forward to meeting you as well!

Quoted from Kneissl:

Top notch work. looks great!

Quoted from jlm33:

Really, really nice !

Thanks guys!

Quoted from agodfrey:

This is really really cool. I am super sad a SoF had to die. BUT I guess that makes all the other 2,704 SoF worth more...right Great work!

Well technically an SOF did die, but think of all the others I saved by selling off the parts I didn't use. It was for the greater good. Hey, Buffy died twice for the greater good so it's all quite fitting.

Quoted from badbilly27:

For Buffy to come to life - it's so worth it! Need Sarah Michelle Gellar to come play and sign it.

Man, that would be awesome! Maybe someday she will have that opportunity. One can dream!

Quoted from swinks:

thanks for the info on the ramps and also the video - your machine looks awesome, love the timber look coin door, flippers and ramps and the art looks great especially the logo near the flippers - looks like metal. Also nice touch with the tranlite art continuing down into the lcd / dmd panel - little touches that make the machine look so professional.
One beautiful machine, I want one. Well done

Thanks Jady! It has been a labor of love and I am happy to hear when people pick up on the little things like that. It's very gratifying. Hopefully someday you'll have the opportunity to see it in person.

#207 9 years ago

What a labor of love. It looks frick'n Amazing! I can't wait to see it in person this weekend. They should make you an honorary Scooby.

#208 9 years ago

maybe next expo as hoping to get there next year with a few mods....

keep up the good work

#209 9 years ago

Buffy is alive and well at expo and, even though I couldn't be there, I've been updating the code remotely --sending new code and bug fixes to Nelly as he sends me issues that are being uncovered given all the play testing it has been getting.

To everyone who has stopped and played: thank you! You're helping us make the game better through feedback. If the game crashed while you played it on an earlier day of expo, most of those issues have been worked out. All sorts of issues have bubbled to the surface and many of them I've been able to pop.

Here's a fun example: Nelly sent me a bunch of new video clips to use and I converted and added about 900mb of video (uncompressed) literally the day before expo started. That first day we discovered that the necessary pre-loading of all the video really breaks down when you hit the 2gb of memory limit for 32-bit Python(!). He bought more ram while I re-processed about 12 of the largest videos to drop their frame rate and we were back in business.

I really wish I was there at Expo, but having a constant stream of text messages with pictures of crash logs is almost the next best thing

Thanks everyone!
- Michael

#210 9 years ago

You guys did a very nice job on Buffy. It was fun to play. Will there be a "get out of jail" magic spell mode?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/19/showbiz/nicholas-brendon-buffy-arrest/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

#211 9 years ago

I had the chance to try it out at expo and concur that was extremely nice. the flow was smooth and the game played well for the stage that they're currently at. the only design feature that I had an issue with was the magnet in the upper-right portion of the playfield which seemed to throw the ball SDTM more than a few times during the 3-4 games that I played.

the water transfer on the ramps, coin door, stake and flippers was especially beautiful

#212 9 years ago

Thanks guys! I'm glad to hear the machine was well received and that by and large most people had a pretty good experience with it. A lot of issues have been squashed thanks to the logs you guys generated. I really do appreciate every play that we got at expo.

My heart goes out to the player who was having an awesome game (beat training level 5, collected two weapons, rescued some scoobies, completed VAMPIRE), and made it up to the slayfield to battle the first boss only to have the game crash on him --he did, however, /finally/ reproduce a very elusive bug and his log allowed me to finally track it down and squash it!

The magnet has been in Dave's machine for a while but I only wrote the code that controlled it a day or two before expo. The intent for that magnet is fairly different than the way it behaved at expo (and I'm sure we'll be adding more of an initial delay on the magnet pulse so it brings the ball back toward the target and releasing it sooner (to flick the ball a bit more) instead of holding it and dropping it SDTM! Not being there I didn't see it send the ball stdm and I didn't look at any log that didn't end in a crash but I guess we can start analyzing the last few events before the balls end. Awesome!

Anyway, thanks again!
- Michael
(Code monkey)

#213 9 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

You guys did a very nice job on Buffy. It was fun to play. Will there be a "get out of jail" magic spell mode?

Thanks! I am glad you enjoyed it! I did see what had happened to Nicholas, and that is unfortunate. I know he has been battling some addiction for quite a while now.

Quoted from j_m_:

I had the chance to try it out at expo and concur that was extremely nice. the flow was smooth and the game played well for the stage that they're currently at. the only design feature that I had an issue with was the magnet in the upper-right portion of the playfield which seemed to throw the ball SDTM more than a few times during the 3-4 games that I played.
the water transfer on the ramps, coin door, stake and flippers was especially beautiful

Ah!! You fell to the powers of Dark Willow! You must go back for more training and hone in your slayer skills so this does not happen to you again in the future!

Seriously though, I am sorry the magnet did this for you. We have some final testing to do with it, but I thought it was functioning quite well. You never really did know where the ball would go once the magnet took control of it (which was my intent with it). I will continue to test it out though and if it tends to put the ball out of play more often than not, we will make adjustments to stop that.

I'm glad that you enjoyed it though! I seemed to get a lot of positive feed back from those that played it. Thanks for stopping by and giving it a shot!

-Dave

#214 9 years ago

I got to see this in person at Expo and I thought it looked good! The wooden stake plunger was a brilliant theme integration. Keep up the great work!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#215 9 years ago

I played this game at Expo and thought it had some really unique qualities. Spoke to both Dave and his dad and they are great guys as well.

#216 9 years ago

Anybody get a video of it being played at expo?

#217 9 years ago

It was great meeting you and getting a chance to play your game. I look forward to your future progress and playing it again. Thanks for bringing it to the show for us to enjoy.

#218 9 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

I got to see this in person at Expo and I thought it looked good! The wooden stake plunger was a brilliant theme integration. Keep up the great work!
Aaron
FAST Pinball

Quoted from audihere:

I played this game at Expo and thought it had some really unique qualities. Spoke to both Dave and his dad and they are great guys as well.

Quoted from DugFreez:

It was great meeting you and getting a chance to play your game. I look forward to your future progress and playing it again. Thanks for bringing it to the show for us to enjoy.

Thanks guys! I appreciate you stopping by and giving it a shot! Next year it should be all finished up and I hope you stop by and play it again.

Quoted from GetTheJackpot:

Anybody get a video of it being played at expo?

I only have a couple of short videos, nothing really showing the game play. I do have a really cute video of a 2-3 year old playing it standing on a chair and he is really enjoying it. I am hoping that someone else out there has some good video to share. I think my Dad may have took some. I'll have to see if he got any good game play video of our machine.

#219 9 years ago

Thanks soo much for bringing this to Expo. It played and looks great. Love some of the small details on it, like the Wooden Stake plunger. Really nice touch! Can't wait to see it when the plastics are done and code if finished.

I know you would never do this again, but ...... If you change your minds put me at the top of the list to get one. Dream theme and incredible execution (stake to the heart).

Very Shiny!

2 weeks later
#223 9 years ago

Stellar work by all on this project, very well done.

#224 9 years ago

This is amazing!!! I'm currently re-watching all seasons of Buffy on Netflix, I'm near the end of S5. A Buffy pin would rock, and this one looks great, good job!

#225 9 years ago

Thanks guys! It's great to be a part of the archive and to have our own abbreviation BTVS

We are continuing to develop and make improvements to the game. At and after expo I received lots of good information and suggestions. Because of this, some things are being changed and improved. I am having some minor changes done to the playfield art (Thanks John!) and of course the game code will continue to evolve as it is still under development.

Here a couple of short game play videos for you guys. As mentioned above the code running in these videos is still under development and at what we would consider about 60% complete. We still have lots of exciting things to add (and when I say we, I mean MOcean. I wont even begin to try and steal the spot light for all his hard work! Thanks Michael!). I am currently in the process of getting a bunch of custom voice calls recorded for the game as well. I am very excited to get these added along with some more light shows, modes, animations, etc. So stay tuned for more!

#226 9 years ago

Videos look great.

For the record, I made up that 60% number. If I were a major manufacturer I would have released today and used the next year to send revision updates

#227 9 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Videos look great.
For the record, I made up that 60% number. If I were a major manufacturer I would have released today and used the next year to send revision updates

You mean I can start taking deposits now?

4 months later
#228 9 years ago

I got to play BTVS yesterday at Nelly's house, and I really loved it. Beautiful art package, amazing videos, and incredible theme integration! Loved the gameplay, too. Very satisfying to play, cool shots, interesting modes, and an intuitive playfield layout. The game was standing next to one of the most beautiful, heavily-modded TRONs on the frickin' planet, and I am still struggling to pick which one looked more attractive. I wish all new Stern LEs looked this attractive.

Nice work, guys. What a wonderful game!

#229 9 years ago

Any chance this game will be at the Midwest Gaming Classic this weekend?

#230 9 years ago
Quoted from GameJunkie:

I asked, but not really early enough. Maybe he changed his mind, but it sounded like it was too late for this year.

Jaz

#231 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I got to play BTVS yesterday at Nelly's house, and I really loved it. Beautiful art package, amazing videos, and incredible theme integration! Loved the gameplay, too. Very satisfying to play, cool shots, interesting modes, and an intuitive playfield layout. The game was standing next to one of the most beautiful, heavily-modded TRONs on the frickin' planet, and I am still struggling to pick which one looked more attractive. I wish all new Stern LEs looked this attractive.
Nice work, guys. What a wonderful game!

Thanks for the kind words! I am glad you enjoyed it! You will enjoy it even more once we iron out the lighting issues.

Quoted from GameJunkie:

Unfortunately not. The game is going through too many changes right now for me to feel comfortable bringing it to the show. Next year for sure! It should also be at Expo again this year.

4 months later
#232 8 years ago

Hey guys! It has been way too long since my last post, so I figured I would post up a quick update.

The Buffy pin has gone through, and is continuing to go through, some pretty big changes! Changes that make the game play much better than before! Those that have had the opportunity to play this game will see that the new changes have taken this game to a whole new level. It plays and feels like a totally different game.

Some of the changes that have taken place:

-RGB lighting for both insert and GI
-New shot path layout (4 of the shot paths have been completely altered)
-Left and right inlane wireform returns
-AFM style scoop which can be fed from both the front and back side.
-2 new up posts (for controlling ball flow)
-New inserts added (and some removed)

And that is just to name a few.

With all these changes taking place some major rule changes were in order. Mocean wasted no time throwing ideas at me and getting started on the new code. The new rule-set is going to be awesome! Lots of new modes and I think we are up to like 8 different multiball modes now!

Obviously, some of these changes will requiring the playfield artwork to be altered as well. Our artist John is currently working on these changes and we hope to have the new art ready for expo.

I cant wait for all the changes to be complete and ready to share with you guys. The game will be at expo this year and we will do our absolute best to have it as ready as possible by then. Regardless, it will be there in whatever state it's in by then. So, no matter what, people will be able to check it out!

I will post up some pics of the progress as it starts to look a bit more refined. Right now it is looking a bit pieced together.

#233 8 years ago

Right on! Will you have it at Expo again this year? I still tell people about the custom plunger when referring to a perfect integration of theme into the pinball game build.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#234 8 years ago

Yep! It will be at expo.

Thanks! Yeah I love the stake plunger. One of my favorite add-ons.

#235 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Yep! It will be at expo.
Thanks! Yeah I love the stake plunger. One of my favorite add-ons.

Right on. I'll ditch the FAST t-shirt and we can play a few games and talk pinball design!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#236 8 years ago

I hope I can make EXPO this year, I loved playing it before and can't wait to play the updated version. I really appreciate all the hard work and dedication you have put into this project.

#237 8 years ago

look forward to seeing the revised game

#238 8 years ago

The plans are crazy ambitious as always and I'm already sweating bullets to get things done in time. If not, I'll be coding all day while I'm there

Not sure when Nelly's planning to officially release teasers, but let's just say that I've had to go back to developing against Visual Pinball because there are So many playfield tweaks, mechs, etc. that my SoF has fallen seriously far behind the "next version" of Buffy.

It's pretty dope.

#239 8 years ago

My dad is making Swords of Fury ramps. Let me know if you need one in some cool color and I can bring it to Chicago with me.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#240 8 years ago

I'm not a buffy fan but I've been following this thread.
YES YES YES!!!!
Love the goat!

#241 8 years ago

You can do RGB lighting? You using the Proc system?

#242 8 years ago

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Quoted from fastpinball:

Right on. I'll ditch the FAST t-shirt and we can play a few games and talk pinball design!
Aaron
FAST Pinball

No need to ditch the shirt! Just come on by and we will play a few and chat.

Quoted from GameJunkie:

I hope I can make EXPO this year, I loved playing it before and can't wait to play the updated version. I really appreciate all the hard work and dedication you have put into this project.

Thanks! I hope you can play it again too. I'm anxious to get feedback from those that have already played it. I think you'll really like the changes.

Quoted from swinks:

look forward to seeing the revised game

Yeah I will post up some pics this weekend. I really hate to show the game in its current state, but I don't think a couple of teaser pics will hurt. Oh and I should have your flipper bats ready to ship this weekend!

Quoted from Mocean:

The plans are crazy ambitious as always and I'm already sweating bullets to get things done in time. If not, I'll be coding all day while I'm there
Not sure when Nelly's planning to officially release teasers, but let's just say that I've had to go back to developing against Visual Pinball because there are So many playfield tweaks, mechs, etc. that my SoF has fallen seriously far behind the "next version" of Buffy.
It's pretty dope.

I have every bit of confidence in you Mocean! But, to be honest, I'm sweating bullets as well! Lots of work left on my end too!

Quoted from fastpinball:

My dad is making Swords of Fury ramps. Let me know if you need one in some cool color and I can bring it to Chicago with me.
Aaron
FAST Pinball

Already have a set of his ramps in the game. And here is another tid bit, the new upper ramp has also been physically altered for this game.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

You can do RGB lighting? You using the Proc system?

Yep, I am running a PROC but we are using a Teensy in conjunction with it to control the RGB lighting. Mocean could better explain how this was done.

#243 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

No need to ditch the shirt! Just come on by and we will play a few and chat.

Right on. I don't think being "that guy playing pinball without a shirt on" wouldn't win any new friends anyway!

Cool on the ramps. Looking forward to seeing your work.

See you in Chicago.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#244 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

I have every bit of confidence in you Mocean! But, to be honest, I'm sweating bullets as well! Lots of work left on my end too!

Let me know if you need some help. I'm back home again and just 5 minutes away.

#245 8 years ago

I'd like to know more about this. I may use a RGB system for the inserts on my coversion project.

#246 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I'd like to know more about this. I may use a RGB system for the inserts on my coversion project.

Sure. My code is derived from Mark S (Snux)'s Arduino code for his F-14 second Sortie. My interface cleans up the pyprocgame integration so that you define a wsRGBs section in your machine yaml file and the parser pulls out the Arduino number and the default color (similar to marks)

Under the covers, I changed things so the wsRGBs get treated as real first-class objects in the pyprocgame code, and these objects work just like lamps (and actually get added to the lamps array), but also have two very cool methods: set_color(letter) --where the letter is a short hand for one of handful of colors (eg, W for white or M for magenta), or set_color_rgb, which sets a 64 bit color (2 bits red, 2bigs green, 2bits blue).

These rgb lamps, when present, otherwise behave exactly as regular pyprocgame lamps do. They can be enabled, disabled, or scheduled. On the pyprocgame/Python code side I wrote a threaded client to do the usb sending of commands, so there's virtually no impact on game loop rates.

The difference is that when their instructions are encountered, the messages are sent via usb to a Teensy 3.1 with an OctoWs2811 "add on" running custom code that decodes the lamp index, 64bit color, and schedule, and updates the lamps.

The teensy is amazing for this task as it can run the ws281x leds via DMA (Direct Memory Access), so the teensy's cpu is totally free to deal with usb messages and color decoding.

I'm happy to share the code for all of this. Most of it has already been shared, but I haven't shared my 64bit color stuff with anyone (other than another project). If you want the code or more details just fire off a PM.

It sounds more complicated than it is, really.

You can read the whole crazy process to improve this code and the capabilities in this thread, here:
http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?topic=1239.msg13518#msg13518

#247 8 years ago

Great work on Buffy!

Great pin for a boutique run. There are a lot of hardcore fans.

#248 8 years ago

Looks great, well done.

#249 8 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Sure. My code is derived from Mark S (Snux)'s Arduino code for his F-14 second Sortie. My interface cleans up the pyprocgame integration so that you define a wsRGBs section in your machine yaml file and the parser pulls out the Arduino number and the default color (similar to marks)
Under the covers, I changed things so the wsRGBs get treated as real first-class objects in the pyprocgame code, and these objects work just like lamps (and actually get added to the lamps array), but also have two very cool methods: set_color(letter) --where the letter is a short hand for one of handful of colors (eg, W for white or M for magenta), or set_color_rgb, which sets a 64 bit color (2 bits red, 2bigs green, 2bits blue).
These rgb lamps, when present, otherwise behave exactly as regular pyprocgame lamps do. They can be enabled, disabled, or scheduled. On the pyprocgame/Python code side I wrote a threaded client to do the usb sending of commands, so there's virtually no impact on game loop rates.
The difference is that when their instructions are encountered, the messages are sent via usb to a Teensy 3.1 with an OctoWs2811 "add on" running custom code that decodes the lamp index, 64bit color, and schedule, and updates the lamps.
The teensy is amazing for this task as it can run the ws281x leds via DMA (Direct Memory Access), so the teensy's cpu is totally free to deal with usb messages and color decoding.
I'm happy to share the code for all of this. Most of it has already been shared, but I haven't shared my 64bit color stuff with anyone (other than another project). If you want the code or more details just fire off a PM.
It sounds more complicated than it is, really.
You can read the whole crazy process to improve this code and the capabilities in this thread, here:
http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?topic=1239.msg13518#msg13518

I have no idea what the hell you just said right now. How about I just pay you to come program my game when it's ready.

#250 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I have no idea what the hell you just said right now. How about I just pay you to come program my game when it's ready.

If I don't need to come there, and you want to buy me a P^3, we can talk.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 486 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-pinball/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.