Topic Stats

• 486 posts
  • 127 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by newovad
  • Topic is favorited by 66 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 87 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BUFFY_SLE.jpg
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_3882 (resized).JPG
IMG_3879 (resized).JPG
image (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_3115 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_3074 (1) (resized).JPG
IMG_2801_(resized).JPG
IMG_2744_(resized).JPG
IMG_2740_(resized).JPG
IMG_2675_(resized).JPG
IMG_2624_(resized).JPG
IMG_2625_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 486 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.
#151 4 years ago

Great work man, very impressed.

#152 4 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Any chance of sharing your code?

Buffy is a P-roc project, and there is a ton of P-roc source code available for a bunch of games. Games have been written in C++ and Python -- which I had never used before my project, and found quite easy to learn, especially with the various code examples available. There is a framework that can you get up and running quickly.

The code we were just talking, asset management, is part of a few enhancements that MOcean and I have collaborated on (pretty much I dangle a shiny object and he runs off and codes it, and then I add a few things to it, and then he cleans that up). That code is not currently available, but it should be once it is cleaned up and packaged correctly (other stuff keeps getting in the way). Regardless, certainly not needed to get started, you can learn more at . . .

http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/

#153 4 years ago

I've watched maybe 1 minute of the show flipping channels...
Great work though and it's cool to see someone make something they have high interest level in.

#154 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Yours? Oh, I guess you did write that one. I just made it better

I thought of you today when I hacked colors into fonts and then tore it back out for lack of code elegance.

I thought of you again when I finished making the multi line text markup support hdfont with color and borders. I then overplayed it onto an image, and bundled them into a panning layer. It was only when I was finished that I remembered our discussion about how some things are easier done in an image editor when no one would know the difference. That made me sad. I probably could have saved a few hours just putting the text directly on the background image and just panning that.

Ah well. The new intro should look good. I'll have Nelly post a video of it after he syncs his code (tonight?). Videos from my laptop screen are less impressive...

#156 4 years ago

great work guys, a very impressive machine

#157 4 years ago

Thanks Jady!

#158 4 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

As you requested Mocean!
» YouTube video

Ah, looks pretty good. Now that we have more people to thank, and Mark has changed his name again, I have to change that. I guess we'll have another video soon.

I guess we have to share some gameplay video soon, huh?

4 months later
#159 4 years ago

Hey everyone! I know it has been like 4 months since my last update, but things have been crazy lately. Doing this in our free time doesn't give us much time, but we are doing everything possible to have the machine as ready as possible for Expo. There has been many bumps along the way (especially on the artwork front), but things are looking up! I was not sure if the playfield art would be ready in time for the show and it looks like it is going to happen! I have started prepping the playfield for the artwork and if all goes smoothly I should have it in the game in time for the show! The plastic artwork is another story, and may or may not make it into the game for the show. I wont know more on that for another week or so. Anyway, here are a couple pics of the playfield that was primed then painted white in preparation for the artwork.

IMG_8376_zps5cbb01f6.JPG

IMG_8379_zps9ec66230.JPG

As mentioned above, getting the artwork completed has been one long road! It has taken many months to get to this point. Having my first two artists needing to back out of this project led me to find the third one that has created the preliminary art that you see below (he is a Pinsider and I'll let him reveal himself if he chooses). I couldn't be happier with what he has created in the little time that he was given! This may not be everyone's style of pinball art, but I really dig it and that's all that matters right? Feel free to comment your thoughts on it though! I am happy to hear them whether they are good or bad.

BuffyPlayfieldProto1.png

#160 4 years ago

I like the artwork but it would be cool if there were more of the characters on it. I realize that is a hard balance and it looks very nice like that but there were so many good characters on the show.

#161 4 years ago

Very true! And no worries on that front. There will be plenty of other characters showing up on the plastics.

#162 4 years ago

Looks great

#163 4 years ago

This is the first time I've seen this, pretty cool and well done.

#164 4 years ago

Great work.

Not my favorite choice for a re-theme, but you certainly went all out. There is no denying the effort you've put into this project. You should be very proud of the results. I commended you for the effort; this might be the best resto/DIY pin project I've ever seen. Well played sir.

#165 4 years ago

So very cool. I wish I was closer to come see it. Keep us updated.

#166 4 years ago

Looks awesome, keep it coming!

#167 4 years ago

Wow! This looks pro 100%. Great job so far. Those dipped parts are genius. Your playfield art is spot on! Not too busy, good use of colors. Nailed it. People seem to forget all the plastics and ramps on machines when they are looking at just the PF art alone.

My wife and I both are fans of the show. I thought it was dumb at first, then something clicked and I got it and we had marathons of it.

A friend of mine had the pleasure of meeting SMG (bumped into her at a bar or something), and she is every bit as nice as you'd think she would be in person. She let him take some pictures with her and chat with her for a little as well.

#168 4 years ago

Keep up the great work. I really look forward to the updates.

#169 4 years ago

fantastic job. looking forward to seeing this at expo this year!

#170 4 years ago

wow. in for updates.

#171 4 years ago

Nice! Like the buffy comics art for the playfield. Minor suggestion? Since you already have Willow in the middle center of the playfield, maybe replace the willow at the bottom with Giles, Angel or Faith?

In any case, looking beautiful, very interested to see how it all turns out. Only sad thing is it will be a one off. Maybe DP or one of the other boutiquers will do a Buffy pin some day.

#172 4 years ago

Art looks fantastic. I am super psyched to see this at expo. I hope everything works out the way you want them to for the show. Can't wait to see it.

#173 4 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Minor suggestion? Since you already have Willow in the middle center of the playfield, maybe replace the willow at the bottom with Giles, Angel or Faith?

I like the double-Willow personally.

#174 4 years ago

Thanks guys!

Quoted from paul_8788:

Minor suggestion? Since you already have Willow in the middle center of the playfield, maybe replace the willow at the bottom with Giles, Angel or Faith?

Actually that is Dark Willow at the top there as she is one of the Big Bads you have to defeat. The top half of the playfield/plastics will be the evil half where most of the villains will reside. The lower half is the good guy half and will have more Scoobies added (i.e. Giles and Faith will be on the slings, etc.).

It is tough when using existing comic art to get it all to fit and flow properly. There may be some things in the end that ultimately aren't exactly correct or in line with the show, but over all I am hoping it will make sense.

#175 4 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Actually that is Dark Willow at the top there as she is one of the Big Bads you have to defeat. The top half of the playfield/plastics will be the evil half where most of the villains will reside. The lower half is the good guy half and will have more Scoobies added (i.e. Giles and Faith will be on the slings, etc.).

Gotcha, makes sense.

#176 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Great work.
Not my favorite choice for a re-theme, but you certainly went all out. There is no denying the effort you've put into this project. You should be very proud of the results. I commended you for the effort; this might be the best resto/DIY pin project I've ever seen. Well played sir.

Not sure if you're commenting on a lack of love for Buffy or a strong love for SoF, but we do love SoF, too. There's a lot of machine in SoF and it has enabled a /lot/ of possibilities on the software side. We have a bunch of small additions to the traditional SoF hardware that I don't think have been revealed yet. Even without those features, it's just a fun machine to program.

I've been really blown away by the last few iterations of the playfield art and this last one is stellar. I hope I don't let folks down when they actually play the current version at expo...

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Not sure if you're commenting on a lack of love for Buffy or a strong love for SoF, but we do love SoF, too. There's a lot of machine in SoF and it has enabled a /lot/ of possibilities on the software side. We have a bunch of small additions to the traditional SoF hardware that I don't think have been revealed yet. Even without those features, it's just a fun machine to program.
I've been really blown away by the last few iterations of the playfield art and this last one is stellar. I hope I don't let folks down when they actually play the current version at expo...

From what I read, it sounds like the rules will be great. Wish I could play it at expo!

#178 4 years ago

Will there be a Angle / Buffy combo LE edition - like Transformers / Autobots?!

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Very true! And no worries on that front. There will be plenty of other characters showing up on the plastics.

I didn't even think about that at the time. I think it looks great. Can't wait to see the finished game.

#180 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Will there be a Angle / Buffy combo LE edition - like Transformers / Autobots?!

zitt:

angle
angle.png

angel
angel_pg00.jpg

a small, but significant difference

#181 4 years ago

This is just awesome.

Just when I think I have seen it all, another masterpiece shows up!

Chris

#182 4 years ago

Thanks for all the comments guys! Its great to hear the feedback!

Have a couple of video's for you guys. First is just a test of a flasher lamp show that I was building to be used in the game.

This is a game play video with some early code. There is a lot of code missing (light shows, sound, display, magnet operation, etc.) and a few bugs that can be seen. Also, the camera was set up where I would normally stand to play the machine so this led to some pretty crappy balls (and the worlds shortest multiball). The way it will play at expo should be a little different.(not to put any more pressure on you Michael ) Oh, and I probably should have turned up the volume on the game a bit more. Sorry about that!

#183 4 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Thanks for all the comments guys! Its great to hear the feedback!
Have a couple of video's for you guys. First is just a test of a flasher lamp show that I was building to be used in the game.
» YouTube video
This is a game play video with some early code. There is a lot of code missing (light shows, sound, display, magnet operation, etc.) and a few bugs that can be seen. Also, the camera was set up where I would normally stand to play the machine so this led to some pretty crappy balls (and the worlds shortest multiball). The way it will play at expo should be a little different. (not to put any more pressure on you Michael ) Oh, and I probably should have turned up the volume on the game a bit more. Sorry about that!
» YouTube video

Whoa.... You amaze me.. Looks like you guys are really utilizing that upper slayfield

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Whoa.... You amaze me.. Looks like you guys are really utilizing that upper slayfield

Thanks John! Yes, the Slayfield plays a BIG part in this game. Our skill shot is utilized up there, there is a training mode up there, and you fight your villains up there. Michael has come up with a clever way to use the drop targets and the goal with them is different for each villain. Eventually in training mode you will be able to train with each weapon you collect (although training mode is currently only coded for 1 weapon). Unfortunately we have more plans than time on our side and a lot of our ideas wont be in the code for Expo. It will still be fun to play though and I hope everyone enjoys our work in progress!

#185 4 years ago

Lionman, Lionman.

The Mutant Enemy ending is a nice touch. Make sure he says "Grrrrr"

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

The Mutant Enemy ending is a nice touch. Make sure he says "Grrrrr"

Its "Grrrrr, Aaargh"

#187 4 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Yeah the slayfield is a lot of fun to code for because the drop targets are able to be individually reset. It allows me to do things like "3 hits to knock down" by immediately resetting the target on the first two hits.

Each of the big bads actually has a unique drop target "sequence" and reset sequence (it's harder to hit the targets if the neighboring targets stay down). It's also hard to see with the current playfield setup, but we have a few different modes that have moving targets. Fun to code, if not for the ACRelay.

#188 4 years ago

awesome

#189 4 years ago

awesome work Nelly, love this project - art looks excellent........

if this was available as a kit like Pinbot I would buy it

#190 4 years ago

Damn! If this ever went into production, it would be a "must have" for me.

#191 4 years ago

Amazing work, guys! My girlfriend got me hooked on Buffy, she's gonna flip when she sees this! I hope to get a chance to play it in person some day. Thanks for posting all the updates and stuff, I added this to my illustrious pinside favorites! Keep up the great work!!

#192 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Amazing work, guys! My girlfriend got me hooked on Buffy, she's gonna flip when she sees this! I hope to get a chance to play it in person some day. Thanks for posting all the updates and stuff, I added this to my illustrious pinside favorites! Keep up the great work!!

Thanks. Mine may be coming to the Pintastic show in New England this summer, but no promises. I spend all my spare time working on the software-side, so my physical build is months behind Nelly's.

#193 4 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Thanks. Mine may be coming to the Pintastic show in New England this summer, but no promises. I spend all my spare time working on the software-side, so my physical build is months behind Nelly's.

Something tells me that after Expo you're gonna have the itch to get your machine kicked into high gear!

#194 4 years ago

Ahhhhhhhh! The stress! Can we push expo off by one week or at least give me more hours in the day??? So many all nighters in my future.

#195 4 years ago

Getting closer! I got the playfield overlay a couple of days ago and have started the install. So far, so good! The worst part bay far was prepping the playfield for the overlay. Getting it painted white in exactly the right areas, especially over the inserts, was a serious pain in the ass. Once I had that squared away though the overlay install went fairly smoothly. I did have some minor issues with the overlay bubbling where some of the stuff was bolted down over it, but it was fairly easy to fix.

We still need to finish up the plastic artwork, and I have a good amount of new code waiting for me to test out. I am going to try and have some of the plastic artwork completed before expo, but I'm not sure if if that will happen. I still have some things to finish up with the playfield install and then I can fire it up and test everything out. I can tell you I am feeling a bit more relieved now that the playfield is back in the game. I'll feel even better once I can fire it up and make sure ther are no major issues caused during the swap.

image-978.jpg

image-411.jpg

image-960.jpg

image-855.jpg

image-756.jpg

#196 4 years ago

Wow, looking good

#197 4 years ago

looking awesome....

how are the ramps fairing with the timber finish

#198 4 years ago

Thanks guys!

Quoted from swinks:

how are the ramps fairing with the timber finish

So far so good! They are holding up great!

On a side note, I also helped someone do this to a clear piece in their custom project. I was able to figure out a way to do it in a reverse process so the wood look could be seen through the plastic and not sit on top of it. This is ideal for people with clear ramps as the finish will never wear down being on the backside of the piece.

#199 4 years ago

Here is a quick video of the finished overlay install. All in all I am really pleased with the way it looks. The plastic art is still being completed. Cant wait to get that installed next!

#200 4 years ago

Beautiful Dave, just beautiful! Can't wait to meet you and flip it at EXPO.

Quoted from Nelly:

Here is a quick video of the finished overlay install. All in all I am really pleased with the way it looks. The plastic art is still being completed. Cant wait to get that installed next!blockquote>

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 486 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside