(Topic ID: 124876)

Buffing wheel suggestions? Bench grinder isn't the best option anymore

By ForceFlow

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0037_zpszi2xcxm0.jpg
    IMG_4993s.jpg
    IMG_3686.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tonedef131.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I bit the bullet and bought a professional Baldor "Made In USA" pedestal buffer. Not cheap but the best usually isn't. They were throwing this nice cast grinder pedestal out at work a few years ago. It's pretty-old and had about 10 coats of paint but after stripping it and repainting it industrial grey it looks brand-new. They don't make them like that anymore.
    I fabricated an aluminum adapter plate to mount the Baldor.
    IMG_4993s.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I have the same one at work, you can get the two speed 3/4hp with a cast iron stand and wheels/polish/rake for $1k shipped from TP tools. The long arbors are the best part, you just can't get the right angles with how close the wheels are to the motor with bench grinders.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from Carl_694:

Do you guys just use the same wheel with different compounds? Namely, do you switch wheels for each different compound just use the same wheel?

You can either switch wheels or clean the old compound off with a rake and then apply new. The latter is obviously removing material from the wheel though so if you are switching often it's probably worth getting another wheel. Switching is easy and I keep a handful of different sisal and stitch wheels around for different compounds. Here is how I have it now with a Scotch-brite light deburring wheel, which is really good for a pre-polish or removing tool marks.

Pro tip: Keep your compound in the fridge until applying, it melts slower and more of it gets pulled into the wheel instead of being sprayed all over the wall/ceiling/your face.

DSC_0037_zpszi2xcxm0.jpgDSC_0037_zpszi2xcxm0.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tonedef131.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buffing-wheel-suggestions-bench-grinder-isnt-the-best-option-anymore?tu=tonedef131 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.