5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Scorch
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Scorch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Just picked up a nice Sega SST yesterday, and the cabinet woofer is torn.

I don't really want to go all out with FF or PP speaker kits on this, since it's an older game and only has mono sound etc. (now if I got a pinsound that would be different). So I'm looking for some options of an aftermarket woofer that would be plug and play.... and also potentially some backbox speaker recommendations (though I've read several threads on this so I kind of know what to look for... )

Any recommendations on specific speakers to buy or what to look for when buying an aftermarket woofer would be greatly appreciated.

#4 5 years ago

Thanks....

I'm looking at this one on Amazon. It has a sensitivity of 89dB which seems to be the highest I can find in the price range I'm looking at... from what I understand, this is one of the most important factors for pin speakers due to the low power being sent to them

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JV7F4W

Was thinking these for the backbox

https://www.amazon.com/SEALED-RANGE-SPEAKER-SQUARE-MOUNTING/dp/B00I9MO86S/

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I think you can do much better for the backbox. Choose some coaxial car speakers 4-ohm and wire them in series. For the backbox, the sensitivity isn't as important: in fact, I purposefully choose somewhat lower sensitivity to balance the sound out more to the cabinet speaker, giving you a bit more bass effect.

The only reason I went 8 ohms is because PinballPro speakers are 8 ohms and figured they know what they are doing?

also looking at midrange speakers because I read that these will tone down the bug screeches in SST.

looks like a lot more options though in 4 ohm though

#8 5 years ago

Awesome.... I'll take your recommendation

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 12.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Scorch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/budget-woofer-replacement-options?tu=Scorch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.