5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by spinout
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I need some assistance please.

Buckaroo’s roto will frequently light multiple numbers when one target is hit.
    When testing with the pf up, it doesn’t.
    What should I be looking at?
    Thank you

#2 5 years ago

It could be that the Roto target isn't coming to rest in the right place. It has wipers and contacts like any stepper. It's important that the wipers stop directly over the contacts and not in between. HowardR recently pointed to an article about adjusting Roto units in this post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/64-ship-mates-rototarget-not-resetting#post-4833180

/Mark

#3 5 years ago

It does stop/rest correctly.
    Most hits to targets light multiple numbers. Example, hit 1, and 1-2-7 light.
    But when testing with pf up, it will never error. I’ve been back and forth, but in 20-30 tests, it never errors when the pf is up.
    Must be something easy...but I’m not seeing it right now.
    Thanks for the reply MarkG.

#4 5 years ago

These kind of oddball experiences can drive you nuts. I'd check the wire loom to see if it is rubbing an edge somewhere. More than once I have had some loss of wiring insulation where the loom may ride against a metal edge or back of the playfield. You raise the playfield and the wires move just enough to eliminate the problem. Setting it back down and wear among a couple wires lines up and causes a short. Of course it could be something else entirely but I like to look for these type of anomalies when things get weird.

#5 5 years ago

Thanks Alex. Yes I’ve shaken those around but it doesn’t change. I’ll have to inspect closer I guess.
    I thought it might be a gravity thing, where the targets rest, and they make better contact when the pf is up. But that’s not how those work, to my knowledge.

#6 5 years ago

Are you touching the targets the same with the playfield up and down, or are you playing games with the playfield down? I wonder if the targets are gapped a little close. So a light touch with the playfield up works, but a whack with the ball might shake things up enough to trigger multiple targets. If you touch the targets lightly with the playfield down do you still get multiple targets?

Could the roto target be a little loose so it shakes when it's hit by the ball?

Finally, if you can get it to work with the playfield up, try again and again as you slowly lower the playfield until it fails. See if it fails in the same place a few times. That might point to a short as @alexf suggests.

#7 5 years ago

I have Spin Out (the poor man's Buckaroo) and had a similar issue. I suspect it is the gap of the switches behind the targets since you mentioned testing with the playfield up didn't have the issue... likely gravity is helping keep the switch gap open a bit more. Check out this thread. Good luck! Love me a roto taget!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roto-target-scoring-both-sides

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buckaroo-roto-question?hl=spinout and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.