You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

switchL (resized).jpg
estate (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Hi Folks, I'm re-assembling a Buckaroo. Gradually sorting out problems, and most features working and game playing this morning, but this afternoon .... switched on, counters zeroed etc, then immediately, the bucking horse 'bucked' and the coil is stuck on, buzzing very loudly. Switched off quick to save the coil. Tried rebooting, but same thing happens each time. I have the schematic but ... can anyone suggest why this might be happening, and point me to the physical location of any switches or whatever that need checking? Any suggestions / help will be much appreciated. Thank you!

#2 4 years ago

I don't have that schematic, but look at yours to see what triggers the horse. Something is sticking/stuck.

#3 4 years ago

Sold mine years ago, but I think the horse is activated every 100 points. Not sure if there is a 100 point switch on the Playfield, but that’s where I’d start. Check to see if the game is also trying to score 100 points. If not, need the schematic.

#4 4 years ago

Thanks folks. Yes, horse should kick every 100 points. There is a switch shown on the schematic, but difficult to know where it's located in the machine. Wire colours are faded. I was hoping someone would know. I'm not great at relating schematics to actual wiring. I think I'll disconnect the horse-kicker coil and check out what else is happening. Might make some progress over the weekend. Further suggestions appreciated. If no joy, I'll post some of the schematic.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from oldtowner:

There is a switch shown on the schematic, but difficult to know where it's located in the machine

I have no idea what switch you're talking about so I'll tell you that the Kicking Horse solenoid coil is activated by the 100 Point relay (L)
And the L relay as activated most often by the Top Center rollover

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6 4 years ago

I just picked up a Buckaroo today at an estate sale in Dallas... the center top rollover scores 100 points its stuck on.

estate (resized).jpgestate (resized).jpg
#7 4 years ago

Thanks folks - it was a switch on the "L" relay. One of the contacts was missing, and a previous owner had bent the switch leaves close together to make the thing work. It did for a while, but not reliably. I'm now fixing the switch. I'm working through some other problems, so you'll probably hear from me again soon! Pinhead: that looks like a very fine example.

switchL (resized).jpgswitchL (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 65.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buckaroo-horse-kicker-problem?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.