(Topic ID: 142146)

Buck Rogers no sound gottlieb system 1 (solved)

By Okarcades

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I've got no sound on my buck Rogers. When I purchased the machine it was very quiet but all sounds seemed to work. Over the next week the sound faded to nothing and I hardly turned it on except to work on it and test the game. I'm not sure how to test the board any other way.

All sound dip switches are set to on.
I have installed a rotten dog power board.
I've performed all ground modifications per pinrepair .
I've replaced all caps on sound board with new caps from big daddy.

I've still got no sound at all. The test button does nothing.

(Solution: new sound board)

My questions are now

1. Can I put the older 3 tone chime sound board from close encounters in its place?
2. Can I replace me sound board with chimes?
3. Is it possible that a replacement gottlieb system 1 sound board could be made?
4. Does anybody know how to test the sound board?

#2 8 years ago

Blown fuse?

Bad volume control?

Blown speaker?

#3 8 years ago

Good fuse. Swapped the speaker. And volume pot works. There is a hum when turned up but no tones

#4 8 years ago

Broken trace on the sound board where you replaced caps?

#5 8 years ago

I will check and get back with what I find thanks

#6 8 years ago

The early titles of sys 1 games have a different sound board than the BR and can be converted to chimes,the later sound boards from my understanding cannot. These boards were not grounded properly and fried the chip that produced the sound .I looked for a few years and could not find the chip, or the sound board .When a board came up for sale its was as not working is or very expensive around $200. Finally to get sound I had the buy the PI-x4 ,great product and because our money is worth quite a bit more it's now around $250,I paid $350
http://www.flippp.fr/boards.php?lg=en

#7 8 years ago

My guess would be U7 (SN7404 inverter).
It happens a lot on these boards.
A bit hard to find nowadays, but a 74S04, 74LS04 or 74HTC04 might also work just fine.

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl

#8 8 years ago

if you have a hum sound then the amp is still good

#9 8 years ago

The traces are all fine. I was trying to avoid the all in 1 board unless absolutely necessary. I will try to find a u7 and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't then I'll have to go with the all in 1.

I wish somebody would make a new board replacement

Is it possible?

1 week later
#10 8 years ago

If the test button on the sound board doesn't produce any sound is it safe to say I need a new sound board? I finally found a replacement

#11 8 years ago

Pascal makes that drop in sound board. I run one on my Genie and its perfect! I have a Pascal all in one board in my Buck and its flawless. Even choose different sound sets from other games.

#12 8 years ago

Did you even try to replace U7?

#13 8 years ago

I did not try to replace u7 but I found some chips online I'll give it a shot. I've already tried recapping it and I didn't want to keep replacing parts on the sound board until I know the sound board is my problem for sure. Once I get the new sound board and it works I can go through the old one and make it work. If it doesn't work I know I have a problem somewhere else. I need to eliminate variables before replacing parts.

4 weeks later
#14 8 years ago

I replaced the soundboard with a pascal and it didn't work. Then I swapped the speaker again I it finally worked! The original speaker worked but then after I recapped it, it must have just blown it out. Hope this helps someone, I will start replacing parts on the old board to see if I can find the offending component.

4 years later
#15 3 years ago

@okarcades, did you ever get the original sound board working right? I had a very similar (or maybe the exact) issue on my Buck Rogers, and I also finally just got a new modern board. And it worked for quite awhile. But now I'm having a new issue......or maybe just an extension of the old issue. When I start playing the game the sound works fine, but after awhile the sound kicks off. I would think it might be a cap issue, but this is a new, modern board, with all brand new stuff. Could it be related to a cap on the power supply board?.....that board needs work. Anyway, I think it's some kind of heating issue....it's either a cap or I lose conductivity as the game heats up.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buck-rogers-no-sound-gottlieb-system-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.